Jump to topic:

College Majors

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 3:22:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This seems like an interesting topic, since many people on this site are either planning to attend college, are attending college (like myself), or have attended college. So, what did/are/are you planning to major in?

I'll start: Double Major in Finance and Economics, and a minor in Math.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 3:50:25 PM
Dual major: Communications & Philosophy.
Minor: Environmental Studies.

**To the guy above me, how is pursuing four degrees relevant to what you wish to do upon graduation?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 3:54:05 PM
Majored in biology, specialized in botany, and minored in psychology.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 4:04:30 PM
At 4/12/2014 3:50:25 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

**To the guy above me, how is pursuing four degrees relevant to what you wish to do upon graduation?

Eh. I don't think that's quite the right way to look at university. If I wanted to instrumentalize myself for better employment prospects, I'd grind my way through four years of engineering and an MBA. I just like making my brain feel good, and having access to a big bunch of educational resources lets me cultivate that gratification on my own terms.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 4:30:34 PM
At 4/12/2014 4:04:30 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Eh. I don't think that's quite the right way to look at university. If I wanted to instrumentalize myself for better employment prospects, I'd grind my way through four years of engineering and an MBA. I just like making my brain feel good, and having access to a big bunch of educational resources lets me cultivate that gratification on my own terms.

Gotcha!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 4:34:45 PM
At 4/12/2014 4:04:30 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

This is a fascinating way to approach it. I don't think I could do it myself, since I have a boatload of requirements to fulfill at my business university..but I wish I could haha. I've dabbled in philosophy myself, and because of it, I'll graduate with more than the required amount of credits, but I do think it's worth it sometimes to take courses outside of our comfort zones: that's largely what college is for.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 9:24:51 AM
I've spent time as a General Studies major taking anthropology courses, as a Chemistry major at a huge research university, and now I'm finally going to get a degree already. It's going to be in Clinical Laboratory Technology.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 2:47:18 PM
I'm majoring in physics, but I want to pick up at least a math minor, and most likely a math major (depends on if I can squeeze it into my schedule). I also want to minor in philosophy, but that would just mean taking one philosophy class a semester, which would be a nice break from all the math and science.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 3:25:53 PM
At 4/12/2014 3:22:27 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
This seems like an interesting topic, since many people on this site are either planning to attend college, are attending college (like myself), or have attended college. So, what did/are/are you planning to major in?

I'll start: Double Major in Finance and Economics, and a minor in Math.

Probably mechanical engineering
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 9:18:14 PM
As of now, I'll be majoring in computer science with dual minors in PPE (Philosophy, Politics, and Law) and behavioral neuroscience.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Value_LLL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 1:39:23 PM
I am currently a pre-med student. But as of lately I have found myself more and more interested in other things. I still plan on remaining pre-med and eventually become a doctor, but I can't help but to admire Philosophy, Political Science, even some Sociology or Religious Studies.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:26:11 PM
I'm a high school drop out, and judging by what many if you are choosing to major in. You would have been wise to do the same. I get access to lectures by professors on YouTube. I'm not sure why someone would major in something like psychology or philosophy when it won't likely lead to something you'll make money at and the same thing can be learned for free.

I know I've seen studies that show income and college education are correlated, but it's probably only due to the IQ and work ethic. Anyone with a high IQ, good philosophy and work ethic will do pretty good for themselves regardless of education level.

I just don't understand spending a ton of money learning philosophy or psychology.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:28:26 PM
At 4/14/2014 3:26:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'm a high school drop out, and judging by what many if you are choosing to major in. You would have been wise to do the same. I get access to lectures by professors on YouTube. I'm not sure why someone would major in something like psychology or philosophy when it won't likely lead to something you'll make money at and the same thing can be learned for free.

I know I've seen studies that show income and college education are correlated, but it's probably only due to the IQ and work ethic. Anyone with a high IQ, good philosophy and work ethic will do pretty good for themselves regardless of education level.

I just don't understand spending a ton of money learning philosophy or psychology.

I am soon to finish a Chemistry PhD and I agree with what you said :-p. Definitely would not have started it if I knew what I knew now. Was fun though.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:32:57 PM
At 4/14/2014 3:28:26 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

I am soon to finish a Chemistry PhD and I agree with what you said :-p. Definitely would not have started it if I knew what I knew now. Was fun though.

I was just thinking. My statement might not apply to people with a ton of money to burn or a full scholarship. So those people should and probably will ignore me.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:34:48 PM
At 4/14/2014 3:32:57 PM, Wylted wrote:

I was just thinking. My statement might not apply to people with a ton of money to burn or a full scholarship. So those people should and probably will ignore me.

I get paid to do my PhD, lol. But I still agree with your statement to at least some extent.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
invisibledeity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:53:34 PM
At 4/14/2014 3:34:48 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

I get paid to do my PhD, lol. But I still agree with your statement to at least some extent.

I get paid by drug dealerst o test out the new drugs they get. LOL! my job is bettter than yours!!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:56:58 PM
At 4/14/2014 3:53:34 PM, invisibledeity wrote:

I get paid by drug dealerst o test out the new drugs they get. LOL! my job is bettter than yours!!

I get paid (with crack), to suck off dudes. In your face!!!!!!
invisibledeity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 3:57:25 PM
At 4/14/2014 3:56:58 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/14/2014 3:53:34 PM, invisibledeity wrote:

I get paid (with crack), to suck off dudes. In your face!!!!!!

LOL!!! I suck of shemales who have AIDS, dude!
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 9:42:39 PM
I'd like to major in philosophy and computer science with a minor in physics
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 9:46:57 PM

To me, I'd like to major in philosophy because I like the subject. I know it sounds silly and is probably not rational. But you could still make it as a philosophy author or professor.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 10:32:30 PM

Absolutely my Bachelor's degree was a waste of time. It's more like a new high school diploma---everyone needs it as a prerequisite but nobody really needs it, you know?

The only reason it was worth it for me is because I'm doing a PhD in it (Social Psychology). If I had stopped at the undergraduate level, I would have wished someone had told me not to bother.
yang.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 11:50:23 PM
Major in Web Design and Development/Major in Theology Minor in business and management Minor in Hebrew linguistics
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 3:17:51 PM
I did my undergrad in economics and applied math, and am working on my PhD in econ currently.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 8:40:12 PM

Exactly this. This is why I didn't end up in anthropology or chemistry. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would still have taken a lot of the courses I took because I have no regrets about paying for math courses (I love the subject, but can't learn math from youtube for sh!t) and science labs (so much fun!!), but I could have moved on to the degree I'm in now that is 100% applicable to a career and necessary for that career a lot sooner and been just as happy, with less debt. Don't go into college because people tell you you need to, go to college when you actually need to.