Jump to topic:

on PETA

Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:09:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have finally checked out PETAs website and learned about them. I have noticed alot of people are against PETA. I see no problem with it however I am not for or against it. For those of you who are against PETA please explain why so I can gain further understanding. I would also if those of you who are PRO PETA would also respond.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:50:09 AM
I'm against PETA for the blatant lies they use to convey their message, as well as their distasteful tactics. I don't know how many times I have to sit down and read about/listen to diatribes which make little to no sense about being vegan, about the Canadian seal hunt, about zoos, etc. etc. Then they do stupid things which only further the animosity among the population towards these activists, like when they pied a government minister in the face while she was talking about something PETA would support. Oh, and did I mention their support for the Humane Society's position on the use of euthanasia, a position that just recently lead to charges against the Humane Society for animal abuse and neglect because of how badly the animals in their care were in pain or diseased?

Horrid organization that will never get my support. Never.
Quail_man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:54:40 AM
At 2/3/2010 11:09:27 AM, Kahvan wrote:
For those of you who are against PETA please explain why so I can gain further understanding.
September 23, 2008

Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, Cofounders

Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's.

Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman

Executive Vice President
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 11:58:06 AM
At 2/3/2010 11:54:40 AM, Quail_man wrote:
For those of you who are against PETA please explain why so I can gain further understanding.
September 23, 2008

Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, Cofounders

Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's.

Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman

Executive Vice President

something is fundamentally wrong about this
do you have a link?
Quail_man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:53:54 PM
http://www.wptz.com...

http://www.peta.org...

Excerpt from Peta's own website

Burlington, Vt. - This morning, PETA dispatched a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of ice cream icon Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace the cow's milk in their products with human breast milk. PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves. PETA points out to Cohen and Greenfield that such a move on their part would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health at the same time.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

For more information, please visit PETA's Web site Blog.PETA.org or click here.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:55:46 PM
Lol @ PETAs disregard for humanity.

Seriously, how do they suspect Ben and Jerrys could source milk from humans at the quantities they need?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:03:04 PM
At 2/3/2010 1:00:39 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Animals don't have rights.

You're an animal. You don't have rights.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:05:08 PM
At 2/3/2010 1:03:04 PM, Volkov wrote:

10/10
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Quail_man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:13:22 PM

THE UN SAys i doeS
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 5:14:01 PM
At 2/3/2010 1:15:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 1:13:22 PM, Quail_man wrote:
THE UN SAys i doeS

The UN also says it isn't corrupt.

lol
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 5:16:59 PM

Don't tell me that your advocating for PETA.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 5:22:01 PM
I have finally checked out PETAs website and learned about them. I have noticed alot of people are against PETA. I see no problem with it however I am not for or against it. For those of you who are against PETA please explain why so I can gain further understanding. I would also if those of you who are PRO PETA would also respond.

They lie to children, using cartoon imagery to tell them that milk causes them to become obese. Sure, you care about the ethics of milk production, but lying invalidates your message.

Also I object to people who object to fur whilst wearing leather shoes or eating meat.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 5:24:55 PM
Their "goal" is not necessarily morally corrupt, but it is well known that they sometimes go to certain extremes. However, that is not the reason I do not personally like them. I do not like them, because they try to FORCE people to conform to what they believe is right. If I want to kill a deer and go hunting then I have the right to do so, and it is this principle that is always going to lead me to say that PETA is an oppressive group.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:00:55 PM
At 2/3/2010 5:24:55 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Their "goal" is not necessarily morally corrupt, but it is well known that they sometimes go to certain extremes. However, that is not the reason I do not personally like them. I do not like them, because they try to FORCE people to conform to what they believe is right. If I want to kill a deer and go hunting then I have the right to do so, and it is this principle that is always going to lead me to say that PETA is an oppressive group.

Yep, just like they also expect everybody to become vegan. F*ck that. I eat meat for my protein. Sad thing is that they care about certain animal "rights" while there's still people in the world who aren't having their rights met. This means PETA loves animals more than themselves. :P
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:02:53 PM
At 2/3/2010 5:16:59 PM, comoncents wrote:

Don't tell me that your advocating for PETA.

No, did you see the first page, second post? I went on an absolute diatribe against PETA.

But the simple fact is that humans are animals, so to say, "animals don't have rights," is to essentially say that you yourself do not have any rights.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 7:05:54 PM
You know, I think this world needs a PETP

People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants

Better yet: PETF

People for the Ethical Treatment of Fungi

How long before PETB?

People for the Ethical Treatment of Bacteria

Eventually, we will have a second PETA

People for the Ethical Treatment of Atoms

(We need to stop modern society!! We can't force these atoms to become ions or under-go chemical changes!!!!!!! That's not fair to the atoms!!!)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 7:11:39 PM
At 2/3/2010 7:05:54 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
You know, I think this world needs a PETP

People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants

Better yet: PETF

People for the Ethical Treatment of Fungi

How long before PETB?

People for the Ethical Treatment of Bacteria

Eventually, we will have a second PETA

People for the Ethical Treatment of Atoms

(We need to stop modern society!! We can't force these atoms to become ions or under-go chemical changes!!!!!!! That's not fair to the atoms!!!)

Pure win! xD

You forgot PETV, People for the ethical treatment of viruses. I know they're technically living things, but still...
(Just want to point out the absurdity of PETA mostly.)