Jump to topic:

Why did god create life?

Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:21:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Just wondering. If god is perfect he wouldn't really need anything else. Why did he create life?

Also, what do you think god's ultimate goal was? If you think it was life, then why do we have death?

Kind of bored at the moment as you can tell...
Dude... Stop...
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:30:47 PM
At 4/17/2014 10:21:54 PM, Fanath wrote:
Just wondering. If god is perfect he wouldn't really need anything else. Why did he create life?

Also, what do you think god's ultimate goal was? If you think it was life, then why do we have death?

Why is this in the misc forum?

Also, eat this you heathen: http://i.imgur.com...
I'm also bored at the moment :P
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:33:57 PM

The problem with the question is that it assumes that God (here at least mean't as some sort of intelligent agent) made a decision to create life as we know it.

Firstly that may not be true, some may say it's more plausible that we are not the product of intent.

But even if we grant we are the product of some sort of out of this world intellect where does it get us ?

People aren't making their decisions based on the evidence, they make it on wishful thinking..

1) He has a plan for me
2) It is going to work out in the end
3) He is going to punish the child rapist
4) I am saved and going to heaven
5) He loves me

But if you were to base your views on evidence well.....

Indifference ? cruel ? maybe not his best work, could do better.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:34:27 PM
At 4/17/2014 10:30:47 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

I was going to but I just thought: "Meh" and put it here.

Dude, stop.
I'm also bored at the moment :P

Of course.
Dude... Stop...
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:39:55 PM
At 4/17/2014 10:34:27 PM, Fanath wrote:

Dude, stop.

Lol still using that? Why'd you change your name by the way? I never heard :P
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:41:22 PM
At 4/17/2014 10:33:57 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

The problem with the question is that it assumes that God (here at least mean't as some sort of intelligent agent) made a decision to create life as we know it.

What? I don't see this as a problem. It's just directed at a certain group. If god was real he would have caused life in one way or another...

Firstly that may not be true, some may say it's more plausible that we are not the product of intent.

Myself included. It's obviously directed at theists, not atheists.
But even if we grant we are the product of some sort of out of this world intellect where does it get us ?

People aren't making their decisions based on the evidence, they make it on wishful thinking..

1) He has a plan for me
2) It is going to work out in the end
3) He is going to punish the child rapist
4) I am saved and going to heaven
5) He loves me

But if you were to base your views on evidence well.....

Indifference ? cruel ? maybe not his best work, could do better.

This is directed at Christians I guess... The entire post doesn't hold much relevance to the thread, unless you're trying to say god's goal is to be evil...
Dude... Stop...
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:44:57 PM
At 4/17/2014 10:39:55 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/17/2014 10:34:27 PM, Fanath wrote:

Dude, stop.

Lol still using that? Why'd you change your name by the way? I never heard :P

At this point, I'm probably going to post a thread about it in a few minutes so I don't have to keep reposting it, lol.

And yes, I own copyrights on the name. I'll use it however and whenever I want to.
Dude... Stop...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 10:15:31 AM

Jonathan Edwards wrote a whole book on this subject.

http://www.ccel.org...

His answer is basically that God created the world for his own glory.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 9:18:39 PM

I have an answer. God is omniscient, but he was still missing the answer to one question.

What would a world without him be like?

So God destroyed himself and the universe is the remnants of God.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 9:20:56 PM
At 4/18/2014 9:18:39 PM, Wylted wrote:

I have an answer. God is omniscient, but he was still missing the answer to one question.

"So God destroyed himself and the universe is the remnants of God." <-- what??
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 9:23:06 PM
At 4/18/2014 9:18:39 PM, Wylted wrote:

So God destroyed himself and the universe is the remnants of God.

God would see into the future and see what the world would be like without him because he's all powerful.. Then maybe if he thought it was better he would do that, or he would just move to a different part of the universe and not just our world,.
Dude... Stop...
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 9:33:08 PM
Just wondering. If God is perfect he wouldn't really need anything else. Why did he create life?

1. He does whatever He pleases.
2. For His own Glory Alone

Also, what do you think God's ultimate goal was? If you think it was life, then why do we have death?

His goal is to save His Elect.
Life is with and through Him.
Physical life is temporary because of sin.
Death is a resort of sin.

Its fine. Everyone gets bored at times. Those are good questions though :)
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 9:34:35 PM
At 4/18/2014 9:27:27 PM, SONOFGOD2013 wrote:
Why did god create life?: http://www.gotquestions.org...

I didn't know you used that site too!! that's cool! :)
"Good Times" ~ Max
SONOFGOD2013
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 9:35:09 PM
At 4/18/2014 9:34:35 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 4/18/2014 9:27:27 PM, SONOFGOD2013 wrote:
Why did god create life?: http://www.gotquestions.org...

I didn't know you used that site too!! that's cool! :)

I know. It's interesting. : )
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 6:10:27 AM
Because there wasn't a good reason NOT to create life. If you were sitting around in a bunch of blackness alone since forever doing nothing but twiddling your thumbs, wouldn't you create life too?

His ultimate goal was the same as why you created this thread and why I made an ultimate warrior out of rubber bands and paperclips....to alleviate boredom. We have also have death for the same reason that I smashed my ultimate warrior when I was done making him....because it's a lot more fun and interesting to make your creations suffer and die, especially after they've put so much work and effort into learning, growing, and self-improvement (that's why I created an ultimate warrior rubber band and paperclip man instead of an average joe named John Smith rubber band and paperclip man. Because that's meant to represent the vast amount of learning, growing, and self-improvement that he had to go through to become the ultimate warrior).

I know and that's why I gave you a more entertaining non-serious answer. I actually do believe in a God, but I don't really believe in the things I said in this post.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 8:30:29 AM
God created the world for the same reason an artist paints a picture: the sheer joy of creating something.

Escaping boredom is as good a reason as any. Plus he probably enjoys the company of pets and intelligent life-forms.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:50:54 PM
At 4/19/2014 6:10:27 AM, neptune1bond wrote:
Because there wasn't a good reason NOT to create life. If you were sitting around in a bunch of blackness alone since forever doing nothing but twiddling your thumbs, wouldn't you create life too?

His ultimate goal was the same as why you created this thread and why I made an ultimate warrior out of rubber bands and paperclips....to alleviate boredom. We have also have death for the same reason that I smashed my ultimate warrior when I was done making him....because it's a lot more fun and interesting to make your creations suffer and die, especially after they've put so much work and effort into learning, growing, and self-improvement (that's why I created an ultimate warrior rubber band and paperclip man instead of an average joe named John Smith rubber band and paperclip man. Because that's meant to represent the vast amount of learning, growing, and self-improvement that he had to go through to become the ultimate warrior).

I know and that's why I gave you a more entertaining non-serious answer. I actually do believe in a God, but I don't really believe in the things I said in this post.

neptune, I actually disagree with what you're saying. I believe that God created biological life and intelligent biological life to provide him with both companionship and with entertainment. I suppose when we look at the natural world it's unavoidable to question God's goodness and concern for every living thing.

But I think the real problem God faces is that he's just not perfect and that he can't create a world where everything exist in perpetual joy and happiness. You can go on and conclude that God just can't create heaven, where everyone and everything exist in perpetual happiness.

I don't believe God wants things to suffer--I just think he can't create that perfect world we associate with heaven, and hence the cruelty and brutality we observe in the natural world. I take a grim view of God's capacities.

I suppose I could be wrong and that God can make a better world but he just wants us to endure the hardships in this life. But I personally don't believe this.

To me it makes more sense to conclude that God is an imperfect God with serious limits that effect us lifeforms on Earth. There was no fall in the Garden of Eden; that's my view. Instead God was incapable of creating a perfect paradise for us lifeforms.

But there is an answer to this solution. And that is that we try to create heaven ourselves. And I think we accomplish a moderate victory here!
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 1:53:24 PM
Correction:

But there is an answer to this major divine problem. And that solution is that we [humans] try to create heaven ourselves. And I think we accomplish a moderate victory here!

I also think that's the direction God wants us to go in.
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 2:44:56 AM
At 4/19/2014 1:50:54 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

neptune, I actually disagree with what you're saying. I believe that God created biological life and intelligent biological life to provide him with both companionship and with entertainment. I suppose when we look at the natural world it's unavoidable to question God's goodness and concern for every living thing.

But I think the real problem God faces is that he's just not perfect and that he can't create a world where everything exist in perpetual joy and happiness. You can go on and conclude that God just can't create heaven, where everyone and everything exist in perpetual happiness.

I don't believe God wants things to suffer--I just think he can't create that perfect world we associate with heaven, and hence the cruelty and brutality we observe in the natural world. I take a grim view of God's capacities.

I suppose I could be wrong and that God can make a better world but he just wants us to endure the hardships in this life. But I personally don't believe this.

To me it makes more sense to conclude that God is an imperfect God with serious limits that effect us lifeforms on Earth. There was no fall in the Garden of Eden; that's my view. Instead God was incapable of creating a perfect paradise for us lifeforms.

But there is an answer to this solution. And that is that we try to create heaven ourselves. And I think we accomplish a moderate victory here!

I didn't really believe in the things that I put in that post, I was just being facetious at the time. But either way, it was interesting to know your views even if I don't quite agree with them.