Jump to topic:

Military cafeteria give uneaten food to poor

azariah1988
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 11:27:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Should the military cafeterias give their uneaten food to the homeless shelters or should they throw it away? Im in the military and I know the military has a lot of food after each meal in the US and Afghanistan that gets thrown away. Should this food go to the homeless shelters and soup kitchens?
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 5:25:17 PM
At 5/2/2014 11:27:28 AM, azariah1988 wrote:
Should the military cafeterias give their uneaten food to the homeless shelters or should they throw it away? Im in the military and I know the military has a lot of food after each meal in the US and Afghanistan that gets thrown away. Should this food go to the homeless shelters and soup kitchens?

US Army cafeterias in Afghanistan should DEFINITELY hand out any extra food to the locals.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 5:50:10 PM
This reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld.

I think the homeless might be offended.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:52:50 AM

As long as it's the uneaten food.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:37:10 AM

totally
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 2:12:35 AM

I'm in Thailand's ROTC. We normally don't have much leftovers or any extra uneaten food because they force us to eat it all. In Thailand, we respect the farmers very much for providing us rice, so if we waste any, we are punished. The little leftovers we have are given to the dogs who live in the camp.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 4:16:51 AM
At 5/8/2014 1:57:39 AM, Smithereens wrote:
distribution if not voluntary would cost more than simply buying food for the poor.

Depends. "Winning hearts and minds" time or "burn the earth behind you" time?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 4:32:43 AM
At 5/8/2014 1:57:39 AM, Smithereens wrote:
distribution if not voluntary would cost more than simply buying food for the poor.

Actually I'll try to post a longer answer. To compare the costs of buying food for the poor or distributing it yourself would require adding all the costs and loss for both activities.

Buying the food would incur the loss you already I taking in unused food. It also adds in buying the poor food, and logistically getting into to I imagine you meant a different distribution service.

There can be varying degrees of the logistics for distribution. All with different pro and cons.

I'll address two.
1. The unused food is packed up and handed over to local charity for distribution. This means the food is not wasted and impact on operations is minimal. First impact on personnel and security. Do these local distributors have access to meet you at your work site or will you have to pack up and convoy to neutral ground. This will impact available down time and operational time. Second this impact should include the transfer of food from your equiptment into the containers the local charity uses. This way you maintain your stuff.

Cons. no control once you exchange the food. The locals could take the food and sell it for all you know.

The opposite is you maintain control of the food and equipment and serve the poor. Which will more than likely be impossible for security reasons and time constraints.

Cost is not prohibitive, the effect could be positive in many ways. As usual the logistics is the make or break.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 4:44:18 AM
Actually the more I think about it with out details more implausible it sounds.

You will have to get with not just local, but rusted charities with connections to the poor in the area. These organizations of humanitarian aid usually have string stipulations on what food they will accept. You run the risk of contamination both way to the poor and back to your equipment for food borne illnesses increased by the food possibly not being kept at food safe temperatures. As well as a risk to personnel for those kinds of movements increasing your visibility as a target. To go through with it would require some risk assessments done on different facets of such an operation.

Best of luck to you.