Total Posts:38|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

People Never Really Understand

PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 8:43:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
You read it, you hear it, you think it, but it doesn't click. Not yet, anyway, and one day everything goes into place and that little lightbulb goes off and suddenly you have a profound understanding of something you once thought was complex. After a while you think you've got it all figured out, and something else sparks, and a whole new level of understanding is obtained again. And you think you've got it figured out. But you don't. Not really. Not yet. Not ever.

Because what people don't understand is that they don't understand. Have you ever felt like that? Where something just clicks, maybe once, maybe twice, maybe thrice, and it all fits into place?

Well, you think you'd understand what I'm talking about, but you don't really understand. Because you're thinking of one thing and I'm thinking of another and it's two different things. We have our own understanding, but you don't understand and I don't understand and frankly, we're in the dark.

All that was general and abstract, and it probably didn't make sense to a lot of you. So take this instead:

People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 4:11:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.

You just don't understand.

I understood as much I could comprehend of how much we just can not know. Why? Cause I'm in denial. Accepting that allowed me to comprehend what I did not understand before. Do I know what I'm talking about? Hell no. I don't know what I understand from the original post because PeacefulChaos was talking about one thing and I am talking about another. But they are the same moments of clarity that got shrouded by another self delusional lie, cause our minds will trick us into thinking we understand when we don't. Cause our minds are in denial that they can not comprehend.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 7:19:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 4:11:52 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.

You just don't understand.

I understood as much I could comprehend of how much we just can not know. Why? Cause I'm in denial. Accepting that allowed me to comprehend what I did not understand before. Do I know what I'm talking about? Hell no. I don't know what I understand from the original post because PeacefulChaos was talking about one thing and I am talking about another. But they are the same moments of clarity that got shrouded by another self delusional lie, cause our minds will trick us into thinking we understand when we don't. Cause our minds are in denial that they can not comprehend.

But we are our minds.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 8:54:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 8:43:02 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
You read it, you hear it, you think it, but it doesn't click. Not yet, anyway, and one day everything goes into place and that little lightbulb goes off and suddenly you have a profound understanding of something you once thought was complex. After a while you think you've got it all figured out, and something else sparks, and a whole new level of understanding is obtained again. And you think you've got it figured out. But you don't. Not really. Not yet. Not ever.

Because what people don't understand is that they don't understand. Have you ever felt like that? Where something just clicks, maybe once, maybe twice, maybe thrice, and it all fits into place?

Well, you think you'd understand what I'm talking about, but you don't really understand. Because you're thinking of one thing and I'm thinking of another and it's two different things. We have our own understanding, but you don't understand and I don't understand and frankly, we're in the dark.

All that was general and abstract, and it probably didn't make sense to a lot of you. So take this instead:

People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

Eliminate emotion from your thinking process. Then everything is easy to understand, except maybe complex math and related things.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 8:58:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

What if I answered yes? That I am always in denial...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:29:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.

If I had to rewrite it all using specific examples, actual events, or concepts, there'd be more than what I wrote.
Dennybug
Posts: 711
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:34:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 8:43:02 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
You read it, you hear it, you think it, but it doesn't click. Not yet, anyway, and one day everything goes into place and that little lightbulb goes off and suddenly you have a profound understanding of something you once thought was complex. After a while you think you've got it all figured out, and something else sparks, and a whole new level of understanding is obtained again. And you think you've got it figured out. But you don't. Not really. Not yet. Not ever.

Because what people don't understand is that they don't understand. Have you ever felt like that? Where something just clicks, maybe once, maybe twice, maybe thrice, and it all fits into place?

Well, you think you'd understand what I'm talking about, but you don't really understand. Because you're thinking of one thing and I'm thinking of another and it's two different things. We have our own understanding, but you don't understand and I don't understand and frankly, we're in the dark.

All that was general and abstract, and it probably didn't make sense to a lot of you. So take this instead:

People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look like?
Defro
Posts: 847
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:37:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:34:43 AM, Dennybug wrote:
At 5/7/2014 8:43:02 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
You read it, you hear it, you think it, but it doesn't click. Not yet, anyway, and one day everything goes into place and that little lightbulb goes off and suddenly you have a profound understanding of something you once thought was complex. After a while you think you've got it all figured out, and something else sparks, and a whole new level of understanding is obtained again. And you think you've got it figured out. But you don't. Not really. Not yet. Not ever.

Because what people don't understand is that they don't understand. Have you ever felt like that? Where something just clicks, maybe once, maybe twice, maybe thrice, and it all fits into place?

Well, you think you'd understand what I'm talking about, but you don't really understand. Because you're thinking of one thing and I'm thinking of another and it's two different things. We have our own understanding, but you don't understand and I don't understand and frankly, we're in the dark.

All that was general and abstract, and it probably didn't make sense to a lot of you. So take this instead:

People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look like?

You"ve got to be kidding me. I"ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It"s just common sense.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:50:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 8:58:20 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

What if I answered yes? That I am always in denial...

Then you'd only kind of understand.

Because people aren't always in denial. That's not the point. And I can't really explain it, because I don't understand. If I tried to explain it'd be even weirder than what I already did. When you look at people and listen. Just listen. I don't mean talk, but listen, then you think about how people can be so judgmental and negative and hypocritical, and it's always them denying something. But then you're so judgmental for judging those who are judging, and you try not to judge and sometimes you don't but sometimes you still do. And then when someone tells you that people are always judging others you might think to yourself "No!" and you're denying it.

I have these friends who sit with me after school, and one of them was watching those advertisements where you can get money if you watch enough of them, and he said something like this, sarcastically, "Wow, what an amazing game. We should all buy this game, because it's so cool. So many explosions." And another friend just kind of shook his head, not noticing the sarcasm, and said, "Naaah, doesn't sound fun to me," and he hadn't even looked at the game yet. He just denied it.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:51:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 8:54:42 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/7/2014 8:43:02 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
You read it, you hear it, you think it, but it doesn't click. Not yet, anyway, and one day everything goes into place and that little lightbulb goes off and suddenly you have a profound understanding of something you once thought was complex. After a while you think you've got it all figured out, and something else sparks, and a whole new level of understanding is obtained again. And you think you've got it figured out. But you don't. Not really. Not yet. Not ever.

Because what people don't understand is that they don't understand. Have you ever felt like that? Where something just clicks, maybe once, maybe twice, maybe thrice, and it all fits into place?

Well, you think you'd understand what I'm talking about, but you don't really understand. Because you're thinking of one thing and I'm thinking of another and it's two different things. We have our own understanding, but you don't understand and I don't understand and frankly, we're in the dark.

All that was general and abstract, and it probably didn't make sense to a lot of you. So take this instead:

People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

Eliminate emotion from your thinking process. Then everything is easy to understand, except maybe complex math and related things.

It's not so much about logically understanding things. It's not the same understanding that I'm thinking of. Even though that's part of it, I guess.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:52:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:37:23 AM, Defro wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:34:43 AM, Dennybug wrote:
At 5/7/2014 8:43:02 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
You read it, you hear it, you think it, but it doesn't click. Not yet, anyway, and one day everything goes into place and that little lightbulb goes off and suddenly you have a profound understanding of something you once thought was complex. After a while you think you've got it all figured out, and something else sparks, and a whole new level of understanding is obtained again. And you think you've got it figured out. But you don't. Not really. Not yet. Not ever.

Because what people don't understand is that they don't understand. Have you ever felt like that? Where something just clicks, maybe once, maybe twice, maybe thrice, and it all fits into place?

Well, you think you'd understand what I'm talking about, but you don't really understand. Because you're thinking of one thing and I'm thinking of another and it's two different things. We have our own understanding, but you don't understand and I don't understand and frankly, we're in the dark.

All that was general and abstract, and it probably didn't make sense to a lot of you. So take this instead:

People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look like?

You"ve got to be kidding me. I"ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It"s just common sense.

I think you and the other guy are the closest to understanding what I mean.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:52:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:50:13 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 8:58:20 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

What if I answered yes? That I am always in denial...

Then you'd only kind of understand.

Because people aren't always in denial. That's not the point. And I can't really explain it, because I don't understand. If I tried to explain it'd be even weirder than what I already did. When you look at people and listen. Just listen. I don't mean talk, but listen, then you think about how people can be so judgmental and negative and hypocritical, and it's always them denying something. But then you're so judgmental for judging those who are judging, and you try not to judge and sometimes you don't but sometimes you still do. And then when someone tells you that people are always judging others you might think to yourself "No!" and you're denying it.

I have these friends who sit with me after school, and one of them was watching those advertisements where you can get money if you watch enough of them, and he said something like this, sarcastically, "Wow, what an amazing game. We should all buy this game, because it's so cool. So many explosions." And another friend just kind of shook his head, not noticing the sarcasm, and said, "Naaah, doesn't sound fun to me," and he hadn't even looked at the game yet. He just denied it.

I try my best not to judge others because I am not perfect. I have done wrong things before so who am I to judge?

But then again, what about judging myself? Does that count?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:54:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:52:12 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:50:13 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 8:58:20 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

What if I answered yes? That I am always in denial...

Then you'd only kind of understand.

Because people aren't always in denial. That's not the point. And I can't really explain it, because I don't understand. If I tried to explain it'd be even weirder than what I already did. When you look at people and listen. Just listen. I don't mean talk, but listen, then you think about how people can be so judgmental and negative and hypocritical, and it's always them denying something. But then you're so judgmental for judging those who are judging, and you try not to judge and sometimes you don't but sometimes you still do. And then when someone tells you that people are always judging others you might think to yourself "No!" and you're denying it.

I have these friends who sit with me after school, and one of them was watching those advertisements where you can get money if you watch enough of them, and he said something like this, sarcastically, "Wow, what an amazing game. We should all buy this game, because it's so cool. So many explosions." And another friend just kind of shook his head, not noticing the sarcasm, and said, "Naaah, doesn't sound fun to me," and he hadn't even looked at the game yet. He just denied it.

I try my best not to judge others because I am not perfect. I have done wrong things before so who am I to judge?

But then again, what about judging myself? Does that count?

Yeah it's kind of like that. Reserving judgement. But more than just that. Looking at the positives instead of the negatives, and catching yourself when you do the opposite or when you make a stereotype that's not true or when you think something hurtful or disgusting.

Judging yourself, in my own opinion, is okay. It's yourself and you can control your own actions and so you can reflect on them more than anyone else.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:57:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:54:47 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:52:12 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:50:13 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 8:58:20 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

What if I answered yes? That I am always in denial...

Then you'd only kind of understand.

Because people aren't always in denial. That's not the point. And I can't really explain it, because I don't understand. If I tried to explain it'd be even weirder than what I already did. When you look at people and listen. Just listen. I don't mean talk, but listen, then you think about how people can be so judgmental and negative and hypocritical, and it's always them denying something. But then you're so judgmental for judging those who are judging, and you try not to judge and sometimes you don't but sometimes you still do. And then when someone tells you that people are always judging others you might think to yourself "No!" and you're denying it.

I have these friends who sit with me after school, and one of them was watching those advertisements where you can get money if you watch enough of them, and he said something like this, sarcastically, "Wow, what an amazing game. We should all buy this game, because it's so cool. So many explosions." And another friend just kind of shook his head, not noticing the sarcasm, and said, "Naaah, doesn't sound fun to me," and he hadn't even looked at the game yet. He just denied it.

I try my best not to judge others because I am not perfect. I have done wrong things before so who am I to judge?

But then again, what about judging myself? Does that count?

Yeah it's kind of like that. Reserving judgement. But more than just that. Looking at the positives instead of the negatives, and catching yourself when you do the opposite or when you make a stereotype that's not true or when you think something hurtful or disgusting.

*nods*

Plus, I don't know what other people have been through or what makes them do what they do. Therefore, I have no right to judge them.

Judging yourself, in my own opinion, is okay. It's yourself and you can control your own actions and so you can reflect on them more than anyone else.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:57:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 4:11:52 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.

You just don't understand.

I understood as much I could comprehend of how much we just can not know. Why? Cause I'm in denial. Accepting that allowed me to comprehend what I did not understand before. Do I know what I'm talking about? Hell no. I don't know what I understand from the original post because PeacefulChaos was talking about one thing and I am talking about another. But they are the same moments of clarity that got shrouded by another self delusional lie, cause our minds will trick us into thinking we understand when we don't. Cause our minds are in denial that they can not comprehend.

This made me laugh, I don't know why, because I don't understand, but you seem to understand that you can't understand things fully. Not yet. Not ever. But you still don't understand that you can't understand things fully, and neither do I, so we just have to tell ourselves that and go along with what we know till we get that next inspiration and not understand.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 10:04:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:57:11 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:54:47 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:52:12 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:50:13 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 8:58:20 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

What if I answered yes? That I am always in denial...

Then you'd only kind of understand.

Because people aren't always in denial. That's not the point. And I can't really explain it, because I don't understand. If I tried to explain it'd be even weirder than what I already did. When you look at people and listen. Just listen. I don't mean talk, but listen, then you think about how people can be so judgmental and negative and hypocritical, and it's always them denying something. But then you're so judgmental for judging those who are judging, and you try not to judge and sometimes you don't but sometimes you still do. And then when someone tells you that people are always judging others you might think to yourself "No!" and you're denying it.

I have these friends who sit with me after school, and one of them was watching those advertisements where you can get money if you watch enough of them, and he said something like this, sarcastically, "Wow, what an amazing game. We should all buy this game, because it's so cool. So many explosions." And another friend just kind of shook his head, not noticing the sarcasm, and said, "Naaah, doesn't sound fun to me," and he hadn't even looked at the game yet. He just denied it.

I try my best not to judge others because I am not perfect. I have done wrong things before so who am I to judge?

But then again, what about judging myself? Does that count?

Yeah it's kind of like that. Reserving judgement. But more than just that. Looking at the positives instead of the negatives, and catching yourself when you do the opposite or when you make a stereotype that's not true or when you think something hurtful or disgusting.

*nods*

Plus, I don't know what other people have been through or what makes them do what they do. Therefore, I have no right to judge them.

Judging yourself, in my own opinion, is okay. It's yourself and you can control your own actions and so you can reflect on them more than anyone else.

Yeah, except I don't think we fully understand each other. Because we've both been through different things, right? We're thinking of different examples and life experiences and things so we can't really understand, but what matters is that we can partially understand, if that at all.

Maybe sometimes it is right to judge. Maybe. But you never know. Because if you think it's right to judge and you think you understand the person you're judging, it goes back in the loop. You don't understand, and there's always something you don't know or sometimes. But maybe you're right about judging.

I'm crazy.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:06:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 7:19:35 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/8/2014 4:11:52 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.

You just don't understand.

I understood as much I could comprehend of how much we just can not know. Why? Cause I'm in denial. Accepting that allowed me to comprehend what I did not understand before. Do I know what I'm talking about? Hell no. I don't know what I understand from the original post because PeacefulChaos was talking about one thing and I am talking about another. But they are the same moments of clarity that got shrouded by another self delusional lie, cause our minds will trick us into thinking we understand when we don't. Cause our minds are in denial that they can not comprehend.

But we are our minds.

Really, cause I have a clear sense sometimes that my mind is different from me. I can have my brain give me the things that I want. I can ask a question about simple facts and the answer comes to me in auditory and visual flashes.

I have a memory mansion, Don't laugh but it's a T.A.R.D.I.S and I put things in the rooms and stuff. I feel like I am walking inside my mind and that it is a tool.

I would say I am my soul.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:28:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:34:43 AM, Dennybug wrote:
At 5/7/2014 8:43:02 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
You read it, you hear it, you think it, but it doesn't click. Not yet, anyway, and one day everything goes into place and that little lightbulb goes off and suddenly you have a profound understanding of something you once thought was complex. After a while you think you've got it all figured out, and something else sparks, and a whole new level of understanding is obtained again. And you think you've got it figured out. But you don't. Not really. Not yet. Not ever.

Because what people don't understand is that they don't understand. Have you ever felt like that? Where something just clicks, maybe once, maybe twice, maybe thrice, and it all fits into place?

Well, you think you'd understand what I'm talking about, but you don't really understand. Because you're thinking of one thing and I'm thinking of another and it's two different things. We have our own understanding, but you don't understand and I don't understand and frankly, we're in the dark.

All that was general and abstract, and it probably didn't make sense to a lot of you. So take this instead:

People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look like?

I don't understand...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:35:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 10:04:43 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:57:11 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:54:47 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:52:12 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 5/8/2014 9:50:13 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 8:58:20 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
People are always in denial. You're always in denial. What's that? No? Well, there you go. Now you're in denial and you still don't understand. But I can't say that. Not really. Because the second you try to generalize or classify people into a group, you've missed the point and you're done for. Why?

Because you don't understand.

What if I answered yes? That I am always in denial...

Then you'd only kind of understand.

Because people aren't always in denial. That's not the point. And I can't really explain it, because I don't understand. If I tried to explain it'd be even weirder than what I already did. When you look at people and listen. Just listen. I don't mean talk, but listen, then you think about how people can be so judgmental and negative and hypocritical, and it's always them denying something. But then you're so judgmental for judging those who are judging, and you try not to judge and sometimes you don't but sometimes you still do. And then when someone tells you that people are always judging others you might think to yourself "No!" and you're denying it.

I have these friends who sit with me after school, and one of them was watching those advertisements where you can get money if you watch enough of them, and he said something like this, sarcastically, "Wow, what an amazing game. We should all buy this game, because it's so cool. So many explosions." And another friend just kind of shook his head, not noticing the sarcasm, and said, "Naaah, doesn't sound fun to me," and he hadn't even looked at the game yet. He just denied it.

I try my best not to judge others because I am not perfect. I have done wrong things before so who am I to judge?

But then again, what about judging myself? Does that count?

Yeah it's kind of like that. Reserving judgement. But more than just that. Looking at the positives instead of the negatives, and catching yourself when you do the opposite or when you make a stereotype that's not true or when you think something hurtful or disgusting.

*nods*

Plus, I don't know what other people have been through or what makes them do what they do. Therefore, I have no right to judge them.

Judging yourself, in my own opinion, is okay. It's yourself and you can control your own actions and so you can reflect on them more than anyone else.

Yeah, except I don't think we fully understand each other. Because we've both been through different things, right? We're thinking of different examples and life experiences and things so we can't really understand, but what matters is that we can partially understand, if that at all.

Maybe sometimes it is right to judge. Maybe. But you never know. Because if you think it's right to judge and you think you understand the person you're judging, it goes back in the loop. You don't understand, and there's always something you don't know or sometimes. But maybe you're right about judging.

I'm crazy.

Exactly!

I don't understand because you and I haven't gone through the same things. And you don't understand because of the same reason I don't understand.

I don think it's right to judge. You didn't understand me. I think we shouldn't judge others, but only ourselves, because we don't understand what others have been through and what they understand and don't understand.

Therefore, if we don't understand them, how are they to understand us? How are we to understand each other and the mistakes or things we do?

As a result, if we can't understand each other, we can't judge each other. And there's always something we don't know so we never truly 100% know and understand each other. So we can't judge each other.

I'm crazy too. But a different crazy, or maybe not. I don't know. I don't understand and neither will you because we don't know what each other has been through so we won't understand.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 3:51:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 7:19:35 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/8/2014 4:11:52 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.

You just don't understand.

I understood as much I could comprehend of how much we just can not know. Why? Cause I'm in denial. Accepting that allowed me to comprehend what I did not understand before. Do I know what I'm talking about? Hell no. I don't know what I understand from the original post because PeacefulChaos was talking about one thing and I am talking about another. But they are the same moments of clarity that got shrouded by another self delusional lie, cause our minds will trick us into thinking we understand when we don't. Cause our minds are in denial that they can not comprehend.

But we are our minds.

Your mind is part of you.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 4:04:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:35:45 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I'm crazy too. But a different crazy, or maybe not. I don't know. I don't understand and neither will you because we don't know what each other has been through so we won't understand.

But we can reach a partial understanding, even if it's flawed, it's still a piece of understanding that we both agree on something and recognize it to be true. And that's why it's so valuable.

And maybe one day someone somewhere will be able to fully 100% understand something. It doesn't matter what it is. It can be anything. We thought we had mass all figured out. It was so simple. You can have a gram of something. Or 2 grams. Or maybe 1.5 grams. Or any unit or measurement. Not too hard, right? Really easy to understand. Then someone just had to ask, "Why do things have mass?" Well that just ruined everything and now we have the Higgs Boson particle which we don't even fully understand. Is there anything we really understand? Anything. Anything at all? How do we know we truly understand it? What if we just think we understand it but we really don't and one day someone says "oh" and then they figure something out and then we think we've got it all figured out?

It doesn't even have to be science. It's more like with people. Human interactions. Interactions with nature. Philosophical stuff. That's the kind of stuff I'm wondering about. I just use empirical evidence as an example.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 4:16:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here's what I've been meaning to say. I forgot and it came to me. And now I forgot it again ... wait ... okay, I've got it.

It's not so much concepts of understanding. Not sciences or anything. Not even understanding what I'm saying. It's more like this:

You've heard about racism. You know about it. You've read about it. And you understand it, but not really. Because even though you know the facts - it's horrible, it's bad, it's mean, it's disgusting, it's just plain wrong and immoral, you haven't felt it. Or maybe even watched it. And until you feel that then you don't really understand. Not really. But even then, even when you experience the thing and go through it all, time passes and it fades and the understanding goes away. You desensitize. You lose that understanding.

You see the atrocities and deaths and killings and bombings on TV, the paper, the radio, an article, whatever. And you think, "Wow, that's bad" or "That's horrible" and you might even tear up a little or even cry. But even then you don't understand because in 5 minutes or 10 minutes or an hour or so you've forgotten and moved on with your life. It's not your problem. But when it is your problem, you understand, and it's right in your face and you think "Oh God."

More specific now. Maybe this'll make a helluva lot more sense.

I've heard about sexism. It's wrong, obviously. My religion goes against it, I go against it, but I never really understood. Because whenever I heard about sexism, I thought to myself that I go against it and it's wrong, but I didn't feel the rage that others felt. I didn't feel the rage that the women felt, or the victims. Because I was a man.

And then, one day, my friend told me something. He said that he'd ran for officer elections in a club at our school. He was the only one running for the position of treasurer. It was a guaranteed win. But they didn't let him on the team, because they disregarded all the votes and decided they wanted an all female officer team. At that moment I got a little closer to understanding what it was like. Sexism, that is. I felt anger that something like that would happen, an anger that was lacking when I saw other reports of sexism in the news or something. And for a moment I got a tiny bit closer to understanding. It might be gone now, I don't know.

But that's what I mean when I say you can't really understand. It's not so much understanding 2 + 2 = 4 (well, we could argue that you don't even understand that much), but it's more this kind of ... feeling.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 5:25:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 4:04:55 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 12:35:45 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I'm crazy too. But a different crazy, or maybe not. I don't know. I don't understand and neither will you because we don't know what each other has been through so we won't understand.

But we can reach a partial understanding, even if it's flawed, it's still a piece of understanding that we both agree on something and recognize it to be true. And that's why it's so valuable.

I agree. But it is partial so we can't truly 100% understand one another.

And maybe one day someone somewhere will be able to fully 100% understand something. It doesn't matter what it is. It can be anything. We thought we had mass all figured out. It was so simple. You can have a gram of something. Or 2 grams. Or maybe 1.5 grams. Or any unit or measurement. Not too hard, right? Really easy to understand. Then someone just had to ask, "Why do things have mass?" Well that just ruined everything and now we have the Higgs Boson particle which we don't even fully understand. Is there anything we really understand? Anything. Anything at all? How do we know we truly understand it? What if we just think we understand it but we really don't and one day someone says "oh" and then they figure something out and then we think we've got it all figured out?

How do we know we really understand the things we understand, as you said? There's no way to do that. We can't even completely understand not understanding.

It doesn't even have to be science. It's more like with people. Human interactions. Interactions with nature. Philosophical stuff. That's the kind of stuff I'm wondering about. I just use empirical evidence as an example.

*nods*

It's an interesting concept. I'd love to have more conversations with you.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 5:31:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
"You"ve got to be kidding me. I"ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It"s just common sense."

WTF

Ok, now I see what you mean by people not understanding.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 5:34:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 5:31:11 PM, sadolite wrote:
"You"ve got to be kidding me. I"ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It"s just common sense."

WTF

Ok, now I see what you mean by people not understanding.

Do you really, now? :)
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:40:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:06:26 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/8/2014 7:19:35 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/8/2014 4:11:52 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.

You just don't understand.

I understood as much I could comprehend of how much we just can not know. Why? Cause I'm in denial. Accepting that allowed me to comprehend what I did not understand before. Do I know what I'm talking about? Hell no. I don't know what I understand from the original post because PeacefulChaos was talking about one thing and I am talking about another. But they are the same moments of clarity that got shrouded by another self delusional lie, cause our minds will trick us into thinking we understand when we don't. Cause our minds are in denial that they can not comprehend.

But we are our minds.

Really, cause I have a clear sense sometimes that my mind is different from me. I can have my brain give me the things that I want. I can ask a question about simple facts and the answer comes to me in auditory and visual flashes.

I recommend you to the works of Rene Descartes on Dualism.

I have a memory mansion, Don't laugh but it's a T.A.R.D.I.S and I put things in the rooms and stuff. I feel like I am walking inside my mind and that it is a tool.

I would say I am my soul.
So would I. But I would say my soul is my mind.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:42:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 4:40:58 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/8/2014 12:06:26 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/8/2014 7:19:35 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/8/2014 4:11:52 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/8/2014 3:34:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
If words were unavailable to you and you had to rewrite all this using concepts and hieroglyphics, I dare say little of what you said would be left over.

You just don't understand.

I understood as much I could comprehend of how much we just can not know. Why? Cause I'm in denial. Accepting that allowed me to comprehend what I did not understand before. Do I know what I'm talking about? Hell no. I don't know what I understand from the original post because PeacefulChaos was talking about one thing and I am talking about another. But they are the same moments of clarity that got shrouded by another self delusional lie, cause our minds will trick us into thinking we understand when we don't. Cause our minds are in denial that they can not comprehend.

But we are our minds.

Really, cause I have a clear sense sometimes that my mind is different from me. I can have my brain give me the things that I want. I can ask a question about simple facts and the answer comes to me in auditory and visual flashes.

I recommend you to the works of Rene Descartes on Dualism.

My fav already :)


I have a memory mansion, Don't laugh but it's a T.A.R.D.I.S and I put things in the rooms and stuff. I feel like I am walking inside my mind and that it is a tool.

I would say I am my soul.
So would I. But I would say my soul is my mind.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:59:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 4:16:02 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
Here's what I've been meaning to say. I forgot and it came to me. And now I forgot it again ... wait ... okay, I've got it.

It's not so much concepts of understanding. Not sciences or anything. Not even understanding what I'm saying. It's more like this:

You've heard about racism. You know about it. You've read about it. And you understand it, but not really. Because even though you know the facts - it's horrible, it's bad, it's mean, it's disgusting, it's just plain wrong and immoral, you haven't felt it. Or maybe even watched it. And until you feel that then you don't really understand. Not really. But even then, even when you experience the thing and go through it all, time passes and it fades and the understanding goes away. You desensitize. You lose that understanding.

You see the atrocities and deaths and killings and bombings on TV, the paper, the radio, an article, whatever. And you think, "Wow, that's bad" or "That's horrible" and you might even tear up a little or even cry. But even then you don't understand because in 5 minutes or 10 minutes or an hour or so you've forgotten and moved on with your life. It's not your problem. But when it is your problem, you understand, and it's right in your face and you think "Oh God."

More specific now. Maybe this'll make a helluva lot more sense.

I've heard about sexism. It's wrong, obviously. My religion goes against it, I go against it, but I never really understood. Because whenever I heard about sexism, I thought to myself that I go against it and it's wrong, but I didn't feel the rage that others felt. I didn't feel the rage that the women felt, or the victims. Because I was a man.

And then, one day, my friend told me something. He said that he'd ran for officer elections in a club at our school. He was the only one running for the position of treasurer. It was a guaranteed win. But they didn't let him on the team, because they disregarded all the votes and decided they wanted an all female officer team. At that moment I got a little closer to understanding what it was like. Sexism, that is. I felt anger that something like that would happen, an anger that was lacking when I saw other reports of sexism in the news or something. And for a moment I got a tiny bit closer to understanding. It might be gone now, I don't know.

But that's what I mean when I say you can't really understand. It's not so much understanding 2 + 2 = 4 (well, we could argue that you don't even understand that much), but it's more this kind of ... feeling.

I have a perfect example. I spent a total of 4.5 years in combat zone. I was in the field almost all the time. The greatest luxury I had was coming across a porcelain toilet seat with the time and security to take a dump. Did not happen often. Like you read that, and I tell you, but you really don;t understand how that was THE GREATEST pleasure I had. Those things are made to hug your butt while you poop. Done winning. But like you won't understand what that means to live like that.
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 7:48:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Even if I said "no" to the statement "you are always in denial", that wouldn't automatically affirm that statement; it would only mean that I'm in denial for that particular instance.