Jump to topic:

Riddle time!

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:33:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
One of A, B, C and D has committed a crime with the help of another one of them. Here are the statements given by the four individuals. The statements of the criminal and his accomplice are false and those of the remaining two are true.
A: If B is guilty of something, then C must be innocent.
B: If A is innocent, then C must be guilty.
C: If B was the killer, then D must have nothing to do with the crime.
D: I am innocent.

Who is the killer, and who is his accomplice?

I just, the time I have spent on this question is a disgrace. And I have a test. And I am supposed to solve these questions in a minute and a half, and I have spent close to an hour on this thing now. halp.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 8:45:53 AM
At 5/12/2014 7:33:18 AM, Cermank wrote:
One of A, B, C and D has committed a crime with the help of another one of them. Here are the statements given by the four individuals. The statements of the criminal and his accomplice are false and those of the remaining two are true.

I just, the time I have spent on this question is a disgrace. And I have a test. And I am supposed to solve these questions in a minute and a half, and I have spent close to an hour on this thing now. halp.

B and D did it.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:17:45 AM
At 5/12/2014 8:45:53 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

B and D did it.

Explain
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:20:37 AM
At 5/12/2014 9:17:45 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 5/12/2014 8:45:53 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

B and D did it.

Explain
nevermind i found a roadblock give me a few seconds.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:24:21 AM

ok its C and D, simply because if B and A where false then C has logic to his truth if D was telling the truth as well.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:36:37 AM
At 5/12/2014 9:24:21 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

ok its C and D, simply because if B and A where false then C has logic to his truth if D was telling the truth as well.

Yeah, I was stuck between CD and AD. But then I rechecked the question and I realized that C says that D is innocent contingent on the assumption that B is the *killer*. So B might even be the accomplice, bringing B back into the equation.

So even the following combinations are possible-
Killer- D Accomplice: B
Killer: C Accomplice: D
Killer: D Accomplice: C
Killer: A Accomplice: D
Killer: D Accomplice: A
Killer: B Accomplice: A

I might be missing a few more here.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:40:20 AM
At 5/12/2014 9:36:37 AM, Cermank wrote:

Yeah, I was stuck between CD and AD. But then I rechecked the question and I realized that C says that D is innocent contingent on the assumption that B is the *killer*. So B might even be the accomplice, bringing B back into the equation.
yes but B says, if A is innocent, which would mean your AD is wrong...im just saying.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:46:35 AM
At 5/12/2014 9:40:20 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

yes but B says, if A is innocent, which would mean your AD is wrong...im just saying.

Um, if AD is lying- BD is telling the truth. B says that if A is innocent, then D must be guilty. A isn't innocent, so the proposition is always true. [ In P-> Q statements, if P is false, the statement is unequivocally true]. AD is lying, which implies if B is guilty, C must be guilty, and that D is guilty. Since B is not guilty, B's statement is true again.

http://www4.uwsp.edu...

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:54:03 AM
At 5/12/2014 9:46:35 AM, Cermank wrote:

Um, if AD is lying- BD is telling the truth. B says that if A is innocent, then D must be guilty. A isn't innocent, so the proposition is always true. [ In P-> Q statements, if P is false, the statement is unequivocally true]. AD is lying, which implies if B is guilty, C must be guilty, and that D is guilty. Since B is not guilty, B's statement is true again.
yes still if B was telling the truth but A was NOT innocent then b lied.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:02:58 AM
At 5/12/2014 9:54:03 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

B never said A was innocent. He said that IF A was innocent, C was guilty.

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:05:50 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:02:58 AM, Cermank wrote:

One simply cannot lie if he says IF at the begining of the sentence? If I may ask why did you need to answer this anyway?

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:08:46 AM
There are three houses. The first house is one story tall, the second house is two stories tall, and the third house is three stories tall. The first house is completely white, the second house is completely blue, and the third house is completely green.

Answer these three questions:

1. What is the color of the floors of the third house?
2. What is the color of the walls of the second house?
3. What is the color of the stairs of the first house?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:10:27 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:05:50 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

One simply cannot lie if he says IF at the begining of the sentence?

No, the if implies that this is a implicative statement. Its like me saying if it rains, I'll go to picnic. And If it rains, I'll not go to a picnic. If it doesn't rain, then both the statements are true because the antecedent never got fulfilled.

If I may ask why did you need to answer this anyway?

I have an exam on 16th. And its a national level thing, so I need to be thorough in preparation. I am far from it as of now though. Logic isn't my strongest suit.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:13:13 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:08:46 AM, Defro wrote:
There are three houses. The first house is one story tall, the second house is two stories tall, and the third house is three stories tall. The first house is completely white, the second house is completely blue, and the third house is completely green.

white ?

blue?
No stairs because 1 storey?
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:13:46 AM
The midnight train is coming down the mountains. Art Farnaski seems to be dozing off in his seat. Someone knows this is not true.

At the station, all the passengers get off the train, except one. The conductor comes and taps him on the shoulder to let him know they have arrived. Art Farnanski does not answer. He is dead.

"His heart?" asks Commander Abrojos, looking at the dead body.
"Strychnine," answers the forensic doctor.

Hours later, the four people that had shared the train compartment with the dead man are at the police station.

The man in the dark suit:
"I'm innocent. the blonde woman was talking to Farnanski."

The blonde woman:
"I'm innoncent. I did not speak to Farnanski."

The man in the light suit:
"I'm innocent. The brunette woman killed him."

The brunette woman:
"I'm innocent. One of the men killed him."

That same morning, while he is serving him coffee, the waiter at the inn asks Commander Abrojos:
"This is an easy case for you, isn't it?"
"Yes," answers the Commander. "Four true statements and four false ones. Easy as pie."

Who killed Farnanski? (Only one person is guilty)
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:14:06 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:10:27 AM, Cermank wrote:

No, the if implies that this is a implicative statement. Its like me saying if it rains, I'll go to picnic. And If it rains, I'll not go to a picnic. If it doesn't rain, then both the statements are true because the antecedent never got fulfilled.

I have an exam on 16th. And its a national level thing, so I need to be thorough in preparation. I am far from it as of now though. Logic isn't my strongest suit.
the if is a big one, I would say they all lied and be done and over with it.

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:14:44 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:13:13 AM, Cermank wrote:

white ?

blue?

lol, idk why you said white for the first one. It's green :P
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:18:03 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:13:46 AM, Defro wrote:
The midnight train is coming down the mountains. Art Farnaski seems to be dozing off in his seat. Someone knows this is not true.

At the station, all the passengers get off the train, except one. The conductor comes and taps him on the shoulder to let him know they have arrived. Art Farnanski does not answer. He is dead.

Hours later, the four people that had shared the train compartment with the dead man are at the police station.

The blonde woman:

The brunette woman:

That same morning, while he is serving him coffee, the waiter at the inn asks Commander Abrojos:
"Yes," answers the Commander. "Four true statements and four false ones. Easy as pie."

Blonde?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:18:45 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:14:06 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:10:27 AM, Cermank wrote:

the if is a big one, I would say they all lied and be done and over with it.

lol if only.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:19:41 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:14:44 AM, Defro wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:13:13 AM, Cermank wrote:

white ?

blue?

lol, idk why you said white for the first one. It's green :P

i've got a case of dumb dumb. At least I got the tricky part right.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:20:32 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:18:03 AM, Cermank wrote:

The blonde woman:

The brunette woman:

Blonde?

Correct. I'm impressed, it took me an hour to figure that hour. But explain how you deduced that. I suspect you searched the internet :P
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:22:29 AM
You are trapped in a room. In the room are two doors, one gets you out of the room and the other leads to death. You don't know which door is which. Your objective is to get out through the door that will not kill you.

In the room are also two computers that can understand your voice.
-One lies
-One tells the truth
-You don't know which computer lies and which computer tells the truth.

You are allowed to ask same question one question to both computers at the same time.

What do you ask them?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:23:31 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:20:32 AM, Defro wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:18:03 AM, Cermank wrote:

The blonde woman:

The brunette woman:

Blonde?

Correct. I'm impressed, it took me an hour to figure that hour. But explain how you deduced that. I suspect you searched the internet :P

Haha no. You said there were 4 incorrect statements. only one of the I am innocent statements would be false. This means three of the latter four statements are false. One of the first two would be false (the blonde either talked to the dead guy or she didn't), implying both the latter are false. Neither the brunette nor the men killed him leaving the blonde.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:27:15 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:22:29 AM, Defro wrote:
You are trapped in a room. In the room are two doors, one gets you out of the room and the other leads to death. You don't know which door is which. Your objective is to get out through the door that will not kill you.

-One lies
-One tells the truth

You are allowed to ask same question one question to both computers at the same time.

What do you ask them?

Just 1 question or the the same question to both of them, however many?
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:29:41 AM

Green

Blue

There are no stairs
I may or may not be a cat
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:32:21 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:27:15 AM, Cermank wrote:

-One lies
-One tells the truth

What do you ask them?

Just 1
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:37:52 AM
At 5/12/2014 10:32:21 AM, Defro wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:27:15 AM, Cermank wrote:

-One lies
-One tells the truth

What do you ask them?

Just 1

Okay this one was tricky. You ask them what the other computer will tell you about the thing behind the door. If its hell, the truthful one will say heaven. The lying one will say heaven. Chose the other one.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:38:24 AM

The blonde woman:

The brunette woman:

God.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.