Jump to topic:

Mental Health

Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 10:52:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I"m back, but only for a minute. I literally have just one post to make and then I"m out again. Things are starting to get less chaotic, and they"ll get even more chaotic eventually, but that doesn't change the fact that I"m just not that interested in being here.

Anyway, something huge happened and it explained a lot. I went to a psychologist, at the suggestion of my boyfriend, because I"d had nightmares and on-again, off-again depression for as long as he had known me (and actually even longer). I figured "Oh, just some silly nightmares and depression, that"s nothing. I"ll go to make him satisfied, but this is no big deal." A few appointments later, I have a diagnosis of PTSD and type 2 bipolar and a treatment plan that may or may not include medications (I haven"t decided yet, and it was left entirely up to me to decide if I want them). It had never occurred to me that I could have either of these, but the diagnosis makes so much sense. There were so many things that I had ignored that should have been huge fvcking red flags. Like that time I (a straight-A student) got a D- in a community college Intro to Business class because simply going to class and studying once in a while took too much effort; it was hard enough just to get out of bed. Or when I had decided in March that I was going to learn German and go to Germany in the summer, never mind that I was unemployed and didn't know one word of German - I could do it! At the same time, I was trying to find a full time job (while I was in school full time) and find time for my family and boyfriend. There were so many goals and so little time that it never occurred to me that 5 hours of sleep shouldn't be enough - it felt just fine and besides, I could use the time better. There were so many things I ignored, when I should have gone to get help. It"s so wonderful to know that things will get better now.

I figure at this point I should probably tell you why I"m posting this. It"s because mental health seems to get ignored more than floss. I"m not saying you should go all crazy reading textbooks and diagnosing yourself with everything under the sun (seriously, don"t do that), but keep an eye on your mental health, like you would on your cholesterol or blood pressure. If something seems off, pay attention and make an appointment. Like any other health issue, it"s really important to keep things under control before you end up in serious trouble. Take a moment and find out what your insurance covers and what options you have in your area. If it doesn't help you, it might help a friend someday. And yes I"m posting this here, no one reads the Health forum.
queenofmayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 12:40:41 AM
I'm very happy for you. Don't know you that well but I saw this thread and I am glad that things are looking up for you.

I have both of those illnesses, Bipolar II was diagnosed when I was 11 and PTSD a couple months ago. If you need any help or support, just shoot me a message! :)

Best wishes
-Bella
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 2:25:05 PM
I don't know you but I heard you're an awesome person! Good luck in whatever you're going through! And stay strong!
If you ever need help or someone to talk to, we here at DDO are here for you!

^.^ =)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 6:42:38 PM
At 5/29/2014 10:52:43 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I figure at this point I should probably tell you why I"m posting this. It"s because mental health seems to get ignored more than floss. I"m not saying you should go all crazy reading textbooks and diagnosing yourself with everything under the sun (seriously, don"t do that), but keep an eye on your mental health, like you would on your cholesterol or blood pressure. If something seems off, pay attention and make an appointment. Like any other health issue, it"s really important to keep things under control before you end up in serious trouble. Take a moment and find out what your insurance covers and what options you have in your area. If it doesn't help you, it might help a friend someday. And yes I"m posting this here, no one reads the Health forum.

Mental health is extremely important. Couple years ago I was very depressed and suffered from bad anxiety. Those years of my life sucked. Luckily now I've defeated my anxiety fears and am probably the happiest I have been in my life (but hey I'm only 15 so I've got a lot to experience). Anyways, since then I have kept a very keen check on my mental health, and dedicate much of my time to keeping a healthy mind. One of the greatest ways to do this is simply by working hard and finding meaningful happiness (Playing COD and getting high is not meaningful happiness. Hanging out with your friends and spending time with your family certainly is.) Now I run everyday, read everyday, pray everyday (even from a secular standpoint it is psychologically great for mental health and acts as a form of meditation) and when I can I try to spend time with my friends and family. It has led to thus far, an absolutely excellent summer so far and has been great for me mentally and physically.
Nolite Timere