Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Stock Market

scissorhands7
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2008 10:54:40 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Who, on this site, is a trader?

Give me some opinions.
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
scissorhands7
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2008 3:15:08 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
?

I dont quite seem to understand what your saying. If you are accusing me of having multiple profiles then by all means start a new topic and I'll post, however, this is for people who invest and would like to discuss the stock market.
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2008 1:08:57 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 10/2/2008 2:47:27 PM, aaronr8684 wrote:
I think anyone with multiple profiles (especially ones that give clues by the movies they like)

He said "Trader", not "Traitor"
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2008 1:42:21 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 10/4/2008 1:08:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/2/2008 2:47:27 PM, aaronr8684 wrote:
I think anyone with multiple profiles (especially ones that give clues by the movies they like)

He said "Trader", not "Traitor"

I literally laughed out loud. You understand English well for someone in Hong Kong.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
brittwaller
Posts: 331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2008 2:03:21 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 10/2/2008 2:47:27 PM, aaronr8684 wrote:
I think anyone with multiple profiles (especially ones that give clues by the movies they like)

Sorry to interrupt your stock market thread here, scissors. Mea Culpa.

I feel obligated to respond, though.

aaronr####, You are accusing ME of having multiple profiles, as I have been on the site the longest. First, your accusation is both unfounded and unwarranted. Your reasoning is that one of my favourite movies listed is Edward Scissorhands and there is a user named scissorhands7, therefore we must be the same person. From what others of your ilk have written, I am also supposedly the same person as Sweatingjojo. How this came to be thought I really have no idea, but then of course nothing is beyond the dislogic of users such as joshandr30, sadolite, and evidently yourself.

So, please, for your own sake, stop with the idiocy. This is not a threat nor is it intended to be taken rudely. You don't have any idea what you are talking about, kid.

THE END
Don't I take care of them all?
s0m31john
Posts: 1,879
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2008 6:20:38 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Buy gold, a shovel, and get digging. It doesn't matter if you have $100,000, when hyperinflation kicks in that will get you a burger on McDonald's new $100,000 menu.
scissorhands7
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2008 10:07:59 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
I didn't even realize he thought trader meant "traitor"

HAHAHA

Now back to the stock market.

som31john,
You definetly seem to be a major inflation hawk my friend. And I agree, we definetly have to keep it limited to 3 percent (average) but we aren't experiencing rampant inflation, the average for the year is only 4.5 percent?

Actually it's been shown that inflation is actually good for the economy.

The reason being is employers wages.

If you've ever taken a basic course on economics, you would have learned about wage stickiness. The typical reason for layoffs in fact this reason.

People dont stop working productively if you pay them more, however people tend to work unproductively if you say: Hey joe, because the company isn't doing so well we're gonna have to lower your salary by 10%. Joe would get pissed and slack off because he wasnt getting paid what he was before.

However if you have a 5% inflation then company A can raise its prices, however it will still be paying joe the same wage as before, meaning that company A, even though the company isn't doing so well, doesnt have to fire so many Joes because it is making more money. Its still paying Joe less (due to inflation) however Joe is still being *tricked* into working as productively as he was before because his salary didn't change.

This produces less layoffs and since more people have jobs they're not cutting back as much as if they didnt have jobs.

While this may seem minute, when applied to the broad spectrum it produces significant economic benefits and can aid in shallowing recessions.

Additionally the Federal Reserve (whose main job is to fight inflation) generally does an excellent job from allowing inflation to become rampant. An inflation of more than 5% starts to produce very negative effects for the economy. Usually the Fed keeps inflation near 3% which it has done so far.

By the way does anyone want to call a bottom in the stock market?

I'm calling one within the next couple weeks, and then I expect the stock market to become very volatile for the next two months and then find a second bottom, from there (I believe) a recession will be announced, and the stock market will recover.

So for all the savy investors out there pay close attention to the markets and start making your cash position 0%, Its a buyers market!

Also I made 6% last week. Does anyone remember how the S&P had its worst day since black monday? It was in the middle of last week.

Well at the end of that deep 10% drop for the S&P 500 i invested the bulk of my Roth IRA funds (then in money market) into a no load index fund on vanguard that closely modeled the S&P 500.

The next day the S&P recovered 6% and at the top of that rally I sold!

And who says you cant make money in a bear?

I hope others who invest will tell me what they're thinking

*Raises wine glass* Here's to an early retirement gents!
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
aaronr8684
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2008 10:37:45 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 10/4/2008 1:08:57 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/2/2008 2:47:27 PM, aaronr8684 wrote:
I think anyone with multiple profiles (especially ones that give clues by the movies they like)

He said "Trader", not "Traitor"

Haha...I'm an idiot...I was going into a 30+ hour day and was trying to be funny...I know what trader is and traitor, but like I said it was a long day and my brain was seeing letters that weren't there.

At 10/4/2008 2:03:21 PM, brittwaller wrote:
Sorry to interrupt your stock market thread here, scissors. Mea Culpa.

I feel obligated to respond, though.

aaronr####, You are accusing ME of having multiple profiles, as I have been on the site the longest. First, your accusation is both unfounded and unwarranted.....

Wooh!....I wasn't meaning this to be a serious attack. I was laughing when it first came up and because of my misunderstanding of words (see above), I was making a joke. scissor and I have gotten along and I was more or less poking fun at the people that originally said it.

At 10/4/2008 10:07:59 PM, scissorhands7 wrote:
I didn't even realize he thought trader meant "traitor"

HAHAHA

Yea well...nah, there's nothing I can say.

As far as the ACTUAL topic...

I'm hoping the bottom is soon. I fortunately haven't really lost any money...I pulled my 401k out of the stocks and put it in bonds about 6 months ago...that's saved me hundreds (at least) in losses. It's not that it matters too much seeing as I have plenty of time to recover before retirement 40 or so years.

I'm seriously thinking of getting into the market right now. With everything so low (and not having lost anything), it would be a great time to buy into a company. I mean take AIG for example. Their shares are $3. Assuming that they don't bottom out, when the market turns around in how ever long, they will come back up. It's just you have to sit on the stocks for a while.

I agree scissors...you can make money in the market regardless of what the overall is doing. it's finding those good stocks and knowing when to buy and sell. Obviously that's a little over simplified.

On a side note, sorry for the confusion with my first post, and I apologize if I offended any one. It was only meant as a joke.

-Aaron
aaronr8684
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2008 11:44:52 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 10/7/2008 11:36:16 AM, brittwaller wrote:
My apologies

No worries man...I guess I just hit a nerve :-)

And who you callin kid? you're 3 years my elder...haha
joshandr30
Posts: 154
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2008 12:06:31 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
He is very sensitive about that topic Aaron. So sensitive that he is giving truth to my statement. I thought the traitor trader thing was funny. I figured you knew what you were doing and thought it would be funny. He sure is a trader huh? I am sure there are backstabbing, lying weasels in the Stock Market too. HA HA. LOL. The world is full of them. But that was classic Aaron, I wish I could have got to it first.

You know what, I think I am going to rent Edward Scissor hands tonight and watch it. See if I can pick up any more clues. HA HA HA HA. Go ahead and laugh, it was funny.
joshandr30
Posts: 154
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2008 12:10:19 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
quote-Britt/Scissors: How this came to be thought I really have no idea, but then of course nothing is beyond the dislogic of users such as joshandr30, sadolite, and evidently yourself.

I just love it when I am surfing the debates, comments and forums and my name is everywhere. Keep it up, soon my head will be so big it will not fit through the door. You guys just absolutely love me huh?
scissorhands7
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2008 12:37:04 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
I'm hoping the bottom is soon. I fortunately haven't really lost any money...I pulled my 401k out of the stocks and put it in bonds about 6 months ago...that's saved me hundreds (at least) in losses. It's not that it matters too much seeing as I have plenty of time to recover before retirement 40 or so years.

I'm seriously thinking of getting into the market right now. With everything so low (and not having lost anything), it would be a great time to buy into a company. I mean take AIG for example. Their shares are $3. Assuming that they don't bottom out, when the market turns around in how ever long, they will come back up. It's just you have to sit on the stocks for a while.

I agree scissors...you can make money in the market regardless of what the overall is doing. it's finding those good stocks and knowing when to buy and sell. Obviously that's a little over simplified.


Haha no problem aaron, I know the feeling of a 30+ hour day.

But with the market, I'd advise you look into buying no-load index funds. Check Vanguard.com out. They have some excellent ones. Index funds are much less risk but still give great returns.

In terms of AIG i'd be wary. They were mixed up largely in the derivative market and are selling off most of their most valuable businesses. If I were going to invest in stocks, I'd check out some blue chips that got hammered. One in particular is Apple. However, I'd wait a month or two before getting in. I myself got into an emerging markets index fund yesterday on the hope that i'd see a 5% rebound, but I was wrong and got hammered 4% today. Not a huge loss because I'm still up a bit for the bear, and I believe I got a huge bargain on it, its just I won't be able to short sell and buy for a month or two.

Any time I take a loss in a fund I consider to be very safe, I just wait until it recovers.

So far the emerging markets fund has gone down 51% off of its high, so I'm definetly at a bargain basement. The question is now how much farther will it head down and how much longer will it take to recover.

I've been investing for a couple months now and this is how I do it. I invest in index funds on vanguard (so there is no commission buy/sell fee) also the fund cost is usually below half a percentage point. I pick a fund I see that has got hammered in a single day and put all of my dough into it. I then wait for the recovery and sell after I've made 5% or more from when I've bought it.

For example the S&P 500 index had its worst day since black monday. I bought at the end of the day the S&P fell 9%. I could tell that the investors were selling from fear (because the price of gold rose). The next day the makret experienced its biggest gain (which was more of a correction then anything) and went up 5% and I sold at the end of the day.

Yesterday I noticed that the emerging markets took a 9% hit which to me seemed good. I researched the fund and noticed its huge selloff during the current bear. A 51% decline seemed pretty safe so I went all in. Today the fund is down 4.5% I dont know how it will finish yet but I think closer to 4%.

Some traders when seeing this would get out, but I think the best way to go in a bear (only if you know the fund is a safe one as most index funds are) is to sell after you've made 5%+ and if you take a hit to stay in the fund until you make a 5% gain or more.

This is just how I invest, let me know how you're doing it.
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
scissorhands7
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2008 12:41:46 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Also most people advocate long term buying and selling. If you want to make money you wont do this. Over the past 8 years if you had gone throughout this technique you would have essentially have lost money (due to inflation)

Short term buying and selling is the way to go. So far I'm beating my father. He does long term and I do short.

However once we recover I'm keeping it in for four years straight in either the S&P 500 or emerging markets and then after that I will pay close attention to the market and look for the next bear market.

(buy low sell high!)

Also for more information on retirement planning check out my website listed in my profile!
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2008 3:23:27 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
"Also most people advocate long term buying and selling. If you want to make money you wont do this. "
Don't forget to tell Warren Buffett!
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
scissorhands7
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2008 9:23:08 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
http://moneycentral.msn.com...

If you would have invested 10 years ago, you would currently have the same amount you put in today.

Also if you factor in 3% inflation per year you would have lost almost 26% of that money due to inflation.
y/
So if you are talking long term, such as keep your money in for 10 year periods, then obviously its not that good of an idea.

I reccommend either short buying/selling or buying in a recession and selling a little bit after 4 years.
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
scissorhands7
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2008 12:41:10 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
YES!!!

Investing in the emerging markets did pay off after 1 week!

I'm now up 10% in the current bear.

Today the emerging markets index that I'm in went up 18%!

Anyone else make some good gains today?
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.