Jump to topic:

Original Evidence

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:07:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone else make their own evidence in an effort to win debates. I have done this on two separate occasions:

http://www.debate.org... Source [7]
http://www.debate.org... Source [3] in the final round

In the first I took a poll of many people at my high school to show that young people like wathhing informative TV, in the second I drew a picture of how something my opponent described would look to me.

Am I the only one that does stuff like this because I haven't seen any other occurrences of it.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
trustalgoreandriveahybrid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:13:39 PM
At 2/18/2010 3:07:00 PM, Korashk wrote:
Does anyone else make their own evidence in an effort to win debates. I have done this on two separate occasions:

http://www.debate.org... Source [7]
http://www.debate.org... Source [3] in the final round

In the first I took a poll of many people at my high school to show that young people like wathhing informative TV, in the second I drew a picture of how something my opponent described would look to me.

Am I the only one that does stuff like this because I haven't seen any other occurrences of it.

Protip: A biased sample of your own highschool =/= evidence. To gain proper statistical evidence it has to be an unbiased random sample which yours wasn't.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:22:50 PM
I was merely trying to show that minors do watch educational television. I realize that a poll of the 25 or so individuals would not qualify as evidence in a formal setting because it is a fairly small sampling, while I also realize that it does not prove my point I believe that it does support it.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:41:33 PM
Was it random?

As long as it was, it's valid under the assumption yours is a "typical high school," though that assumption is definitely rebuttable.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:46:50 PM
It was fairly random. There are some people that signed it who I know pretty well but at least 20 of them were from people I just saw in between classes.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:48:16 PM
At 2/18/2010 3:41:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Was it random?

As long as it was, it's valid under the assumption yours is a "typical high school," though that assumption is definitely rebuttable.

No it still wouldn't be valid as it would have to be random from the entire population high school students not just his highschool. His highschool could easily be atypical in terms of the "average" the only way to find out is to get a sample of 30 or more people randomly from a selection of college students.

Also his method of choosing phone numbers would have to be random.

If it was random at his highschool his data would only be accurate for his highschool provided he plugged his data into a small sample Z score formula.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:48:40 PM
At 2/18/2010 3:46:50 PM, Korashk wrote:
It was fairly random. There are some people that signed it who I know pretty well but at least 20 of them were from people I just saw in between classes.

That's not random, that's biased.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:50:39 PM
At 2/18/2010 3:48:16 PM, trustalgoreandriveahybrid wrote:
At 2/18/2010 3:41:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Was it random?

No it still wouldn't be valid as it would have to be random from the entire population high school student
UNDER THE ASSUMPTION...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 3:51:14 PM
And yeah that doesn't sound remotely random even within the high school OP sorry.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 5:39:03 PM
Even if that specific example wasn't all that great I still want to know if anyone else at least attempts to do this like Koopin and I.