Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 3:54:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Let's discuss this vital issue.

There are two types of noob-snipers:

1) The kind that looks into the opponent. You know who you are. You see the debate available for acceptance, you click on the profile. O, look, they haven't won a debate yet. Let's get em'

2) Hey I wanna take a debate. Fvck who it is. I like this subject, I'm going to take it.

3) New member, let's test em'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, I'll say that only number 2 & 3 is acceptable for maintaining respect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done numbers 1, 2, & 3.

So, what does this mean?

Well, I'm surely no Sargon. I still wanna debate Ragnar. Johnmaynardkeyens - no comment. Maikuru, fvck that. everyone else, suck it. except bobert, zaradi, and everyone else in the top 10 including whiteflame and wylted. They are all awesome. Mikal is cool. Bsh1 is my nigga who can sing. YYW is cool. RoyL is RoyL. Thett, my pirate homie. Airmax - stays blowing (my mind with awesomeness). Anyone in the Council, also cool as fvck. Anyone who has an IQ above 134. As for the girls, Bam slam alakazam. You da man.

Anyways, that's all.

Feel free to discuss the harms that come from noob-sniping. We all can learn something.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 5:19:32 AM
Considering I hardly ever debate, noob sniping is the only way I can get some kind of a win ratio without any effort.
Turn around, go back.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 3:25:47 PM
I'm just gonna leave this here... 0.0
http://quartercastlepublishing.com...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 3:27:48 PM
I'm fit for the number two category. I just debate what looks interesting, against a pro or not.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 5:05:10 PM
There should be a number 4

4) ELO booster, looks through challenges clinks on profiles, see that they've been in a debate and they have decent ELO. Challenge accepted.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 9:09:31 PM
I don't usually accept debates unless someone challenges me. But then again, I'm not a good debater either. And honestly "ratio/Elo" don't even matter to me. I debate only to state my position an to see how I could learn from my opponent. That includes even if it's a noob who challenges me I don't are who wins or who doesn't. Winning doesn't matter IMO, if everything is just about winning well where's the reward In that? Noobs have my respect jut for even trying beause as I said I'm no good at debating but I give it a shot too. :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 9:13:45 PM
I don't noob snipe as much as it probably appears that I do. When I debate a noob, either they pushed the issue or I'm trying to work out a few arguments, so I can more easily see their weaknesses.

Sometimes the argument I'm trying to work out is only 25% of the actual argument I provide.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 11:23:50 PM
At 6/27/2014 3:54:49 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Feel free to discuss the harms that come from noob-sniping. We all can learn something.

I generally look for a topic I've never looked into before and use the debate as an excuse to research. I do often find myself debating people with only a few debates and have sometimes felt like a jerk for taking on someone who's still getting into the groove.

Out of curiosity, I just spent a few minutes playing around with the leaderboards after reading this post and came up with a few rough stats

of the 171,000 users with an account on DDO fewer than 5000 (less than 3%) have ever won a single debate on DDO.

of these, fewer than 2000 (1%) have won two debates.

fewer than 2500 have completed the requisite 3 debates in order to qualify to vote.

I am only guesstimating, but looks to me like maybe only half to 2/3rds of those users have been on DDO in the past year.

Of the 50 or so debates created in the last 24 hrs

1 was about economics

5 were about sports (4 re: suarez)

13 were about religion

2 science

8 politics

1 philosophy

3 rap battles

2 blatant advertising

3 were unintelligible

and

12 were troll debates (coke vs pepsi, the color red is good, etc)

I stay away from religion and troll debates because there a so few verifiable facts and its mostly just telling somebody that what they believe is wrong. Only 10 debates were in a category in which I might be interested, and of these none had a compelling topic. I generally stay away from any debate with typos in the title or debates that lay on too many preconditions.

Of those 50, only 5 were instigated by users with more than 3 debates. Of those 50, none were debates that I'd be interested in.

I'll debate politics, economics, science, maybe philosophy. My favorite subjects are history, literature, cinema, debunking conspiracies, cryptids, etc. In my experience, debates I instigate are generally ignored. Maybe half my debates were against somebody with a higher ELO than me, but the higher my ELO gets the more difficult it is to find somebody interested in a challenge. I've had a few debates with top ranked debaters. There have been many more that have been promised but not delivered for whatever reason. I did participate in TUF's tournament this winter.

I guess all of this is just to say that if we're waiting for a user whose won more than a handful of debates AND is interested in discussing an interesting subject, you might wait weeks or months for a debate that qualifies. At this point, I just look for an interesting topic and try not to worry to much about the other debater. Some of the least experienced debaters make the most original points and most of my debates with more experienced debaters have been pretty dull.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 11:30:35 PM

1) The kind that looks into the opponent. You know who you are. You see the debate available for acceptance, you click on the profile. O, look, they haven't won a debate yet. Let's get em'

2) Hey I wanna take a debate. Fvck who it is. I like this subject, I'm going to take it.

At this point, I'll say that only number 2 & 3 is acceptable for maintaining respect.

So, what does this mean?

Well, I'm surely no Sargon. I still wanna debate Ragnar. Johnmaynardkeyens - no comment. Maikuru, fvck that. everyone else, suck it. except bobert, zaradi, and everyone else in the top 10 including whiteflame and wylted. They are all awesome. Mikal is cool. Bsh1 is my nigga who can sing. YYW is cool. RoyL is RoyL. Thett, my pirate homie. Airmax - stays blowing (my mind with awesomeness). Anyone in the Council, also cool as fvck. Anyone who has an IQ above 134. As for the girls, Bam slam alakazam. You da man.

Anyways, that's all.

#mentioned

You're pretty cool, too. And headstrong, which I respect.

My IQ is also higher than 134 too... lol
Tsar of DDO
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 6:40:13 AM

So, what does this mean?

Anyways, that's all.

I think the term "noob-sniping" can be unnecessarily overused.

There are so many underrated people (who happen to be new to DDO at the same time) that can argue like someone with 3000+ ELO. They tend to exhibit debate skills, but are simply new to the site. Those kinds of people aren't really noobs, because they are clearly familiar with the art of debating.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 3:43:02 PM
At 6/27/2014 11:23:50 PM, Oromagi wrote:

I generally look for a topic I've never looked into before and use the debate as an excuse to research. I do often find myself debating people with only a few debates and have sometimes felt like a jerk for taking on someone who's still getting into the groove.

Out of curiosity, I just spent a few minutes playing around with the leaderboards after reading this post and came up with a few rough stats

of the 171,000 users with an account on DDO fewer than 5000 (less than 3%) have ever won a single debate on DDO.

of these, fewer than 2000 (1%) have won two debates.

fewer than 2500 have completed the requisite 3 debates in order to qualify to vote.

I am only guesstimating, but looks to me like maybe only half to 2/3rds of those users have been on DDO in the past year.

Of the 50 or so debates created in the last 24 hrs

1 was about economics

5 were about sports (4 re: suarez)

13 were about religion

2 science

8 politics

1 philosophy

3 rap battles

2 blatant advertising

3 were unintelligible

and

12 were troll debates (coke vs pepsi, the color red is good, etc)

I stay away from religion and troll debates because there a so few verifiable facts and its mostly just telling somebody that what they believe is wrong. Only 10 debates were in a category in which I might be interested, and of these none had a compelling topic. I generally stay away from any debate with typos in the title or debates that lay on too many preconditions.

Of those 50, only 5 were instigated by users with more than 3 debates. Of those 50, none were debates that I'd be interested in.

I'll debate politics, economics, science, maybe philosophy. My favorite subjects are history, literature, cinema, debunking conspiracies, cryptids, etc. In my experience, debates I instigate are generally ignored. Maybe half my debates were against somebody with a higher ELO than me, but the higher my ELO gets the more difficult it is to find somebody interested in a challenge. I've had a few debates with top ranked debaters. There have been many more that have been promised but not delivered for whatever reason. I did participate in TUF's tournament this winter.

I guess all of this is just to say that if we're waiting for a user whose won more than a handful of debates AND is interested in discussing an interesting subject, you might wait weeks or months for a debate that qualifies. At this point, I just look for an interesting topic and try not to worry to much about the other debater. Some of the least experienced debaters make the most original points and most of my debates with more experienced debaters have been pretty dull.

Kudos on the info!! This was an excellent response from which I really did learn something. Thank you, sir!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 3:46:52 PM
At 6/27/2014 11:30:35 PM, YYW wrote:

So, what does this mean?

Anyways, that's all.

#mentioned

Thank you :)

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The depth of your lexicon alone allows a glimpse into the amount of intelligence you have. You are just one of those people that I actually search words for when reading your posts sometimes.

I put that 134 to play with Romanii since he's always showing off his 133 IQ haha :)
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 3:48:43 PM
At 6/28/2014 6:40:13 AM, GOP wrote:

So, what does this mean?

Anyways, that's all.

I think the term "noob-sniping" can be unnecessarily overused.

Agreed. I actually posted this to kinda poke fun at the whole noob-sniping thing. No-one called me out for saying there are two kinds of noob-snipers but then I listed three. I was hoping that'd be the giveaway that I was just having fun :)

There are so many underrated people (who happen to be new to DDO at the same time) that can argue like someone with 3000+ ELO. They tend to exhibit debate skills, but are simply new to the site. Those kinds of people aren't really noobs, because they are clearly familiar with the art of debating.

Agreed x 2.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 3:53:20 PM
At 6/27/2014 9:13:45 PM, Wylted wrote:
I don't noob snipe as much as it probably appears that I do. When I debate a noob, either they pushed the issue or I'm trying to work out a few arguments, so I can more easily see their weaknesses.

Sometimes the argument I'm trying to work out is only 25% of the actual argument I provide.

Your arguments and resolutions tend to be brilliant though. Whether you are noob-sniping or not, it's obvious to me that you are working out, what I would consider, crazy arguments - but they work. Hence the brilliant aspect of it all.

The only real issue I have with the over-use of the term noob-sniping is when it's applied to taking on new members. You don't know how good they really are if they just joined the site. I bet the guy who took me on for my first debate about churches being taxed or not thought it'd be an easy win :)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 5:19:52 PM
At 6/28/2014 3:46:52 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 6/27/2014 11:30:35 PM, YYW wrote:

So, what does this mean?

Anyways, that's all.

#mentioned

Thank you :)

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The depth of your lexicon alone allows a glimpse into the amount of intelligence you have. You are just one of those people that I actually search words for when reading your posts sometimes.

I put that 134 to play with Romanii since he's always showing off his 133 IQ haha :)

lol, cheers man
Tsar of DDO
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 11:44:17 AM
At 8/22/2014 11:43:51 AM, STALIN wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:16:57 PM, 9spaceking wrote:
STALIN is a real annoying noob-sniper

excuse me?

you're excused.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 11:45:19 AM
At 8/22/2014 11:44:17 AM, 9spaceking wrote:

excuse me?

you're excused.

That is very rude. You have no proof that I have ever noob-sniped. I'm simply a prodebater.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 11:48:24 AM
At 8/22/2014 11:45:19 AM, STALIN wrote:

excuse me?

you're excused.

That is very rude. You have no proof that I have ever noob-sniped. I'm simply a prodebater.
Oh really? Then you should have had no problem accepting my challenge to you.
Equestrian election

STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 9:30:01 PM
At 8/22/2014 11:48:24 AM, 9spaceking wrote:

excuse me?

you're excused.

Life is too short for me to waste time debating with some brainwashed kid.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 8:03:00 AM
At 8/22/2014 9:30:01 PM, STALIN wrote:

excuse me?

you're excused.

Good for me to know you're too cowardly to debate even this dude who's only slightly better-than-average
Equestrian election

NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 8:06:56 AM
At 8/23/2014 8:03:00 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
At 8/22/2014 9:30:01 PM, STALIN wrote:

excuse me?

you're excused.

Good for me to know you're too cowardly to debate even this dude who's only slightly better-than-average

Calm down, you two.
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 11:57:55 AM

States there are two types of noob snipers; names three.

This is the worst kind.

This is always acceptable. Especially when you are new to the topic and want to test your arguments on an inexperienced debater.

Eh, this is sometimes acceptable but not usually.

4) You see an obviously winnable and dumb resolution that isn't even a debate topic and take it just for the easy win.

Also not acceptable.

Although honestly, noob sniping in general grants no respect. However, 2, 3, 4, makes a debater lose respect. I respect a debater based on the number of instigated debates, number of debates against users with 3000+ ELO, debates won against users with 3000+ ELO, and general strength of arguments. Who cares about anything else?

So, what does this mean?

What the heck did any of this have to with the topic lol

Anyways, that's all.

Nolite Timere
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 1:39:57 AM
At 8/23/2014 11:57:55 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Shut your mouth slut.

This is the worst kind.

I fvcking agree.

This is always acceptable. Especially when you are new to the topic and want to test your arguments on an inexperienced debater.

https://www.youtube.com...

I went through it, I survived. If they can't = they weak a$$ sucka niggas.

4) You see an obviously winnable and dumb resolution that isn't even a debate topic and take it just for the easy win.

Also not acceptable.

Born an raised as a chicken, niggas' gonna cluck like some chickens.

Although honestly, noob sniping in general grants no respect. However, 2, 3, 4, makes a debater lose respect. I respect a debater based on the number of instigated debates, number of debates against users with 3000+ ELO, debates won against users with 3000+ ELO, and general strength of arguments. Who cares about anything else?

So, what does this mean?

Nothing cracka nigga - fried cheese n shrimp

like an eggshell - you crack when I drop ya in da cauldron.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 12:29:26 PM
At 8/24/2014 1:39:57 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Shut your mouth slut.

This is the worst kind.

I fvcking agree.

Also not acceptable.

So, what does this mean?

Are you drunk? Or do you just not care that much?
Nolite Timere
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 7:01:13 PM
At 8/24/2014 12:29:26 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Shut your mouth slut.

This is the worst kind.

I fvcking agree.

Also not acceptable.

So, what does this mean?

I was indeed intoxicated and merely having some fun. Twas a good night.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 7:03:50 PM
At 8/24/2014 7:01:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Shut your mouth slut.

This is the worst kind.

I fvcking agree.

Also not acceptable.

So, what does this mean?

lol
Nolite Timere
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 7:05:31 PM
At 8/24/2014 7:03:50 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 8/24/2014 7:01:13 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Shut your mouth slut.

This is the worst kind.

I fvcking agree.

Also not acceptable.

So, what does this mean?

lol

Sorry I haven't replied to the philo thread either yet. I'm in no mood for philosophy tonight, lol. I'll most likely get back to you in that thread tomorrow afternoon.