Jump to topic:

Burden of proof

Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 9:47:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why does everyone on this website default a burden of proof paradigm? There is more than one way to weigh a round, I assume people know this, I am just curious why people weigh every round with it, even when not told to. Any insight?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 11:21:07 AM
I personally don't hold with the paradim of it (that PRO has it).

But I do find that in the nature of convincing people, it is true that the one that wants to change minds has the burden of proof.

For example, I believe in God (not trying to turn this into a religious debate, this is just the most common topic when BoP comes up, IMO). And an Athiest can say "you are making a claim, prove it," and I can't prove it, but that isn't gonna convince me, since the athiest has not given any reason for me to change my mind to agree with him.

The same can be said about any topic and any stance. If you want to change someone's mind (be it for PRO or CON) the burden of proof lies on you to change their mind.

Which is why the "status quo" often doesn't have the burden of proof, because they already have the most people on thier side.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 10:53:31 PM
I judge BoP different for different debates, for instance:

In this debate the BoP was on myself and my opponent:
http://www.debate.org...

In this one the BoP was on the instigator and all I had to do was shoot down his arguments:
http://www.debate.org...

The BoP should be judged on an individual basis.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 11:02:30 PM
At 2/20/2010 11:21:07 AM, OreEle wrote:
For example, I believe in God (not trying to turn this into a religious debate, this is just the most common topic when BoP comes up, IMO). And an Athiest can say "you are making a claim, prove it," and I can't prove it, but that isn't gonna convince me, since the athiest has not given any reason for me to change my mind to agree with him.

Which brings up the other side of the debate, atheists have no proof that God DOESN'T exist.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 11:12:27 PM
At 2/20/2010 11:02:30 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/20/2010 11:21:07 AM, OreEle wrote:

Which brings up the other side of the debate, atheists have no proof that God DOESN'T exist.

If they want to convince me that God doesn't exist, then the burden is on them. If I want to convince them, then the burden is on me. But I have no desires to convince anyone that God does exist, since I don't know, I only believe. That is the main reason I don't debate religion and try to stay out of the religious forum.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"