Jump to topic:

Newer technology violating privacy

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 1:15:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It should technically be in the technology forum, but I just think the topic fits more here, since it's also covering more than just technology. It's more of how it affects us.

Alright, 50 years ago you could almost be 100% sure that if you're home alone, you could sing a song and nobody would know it. Today, things like the school teachers spying kids issue may be common in the future. What I'm worried about mostly is technology that is hard to detect: devices like bluetooth headsets. In 10 years we might have something like a very small walkie-talkie microphone that you can put anywhere and receive all the sound that it detects as far as perhaps five miles away from it. Nobody would know where it is, except you. You could put that thing in every home you enter, and you could listen to everything people would have to say.

Doesn't things like these make you a bit worried about the future? People could listen to you all day long if they wanted. Maybe you invite five friends to your home and one of them puts that thing in your house to listen to everything you say. Next time he visits you again he would take it back.

Maybe I'm sounding paranoid, but I know that this might be realistic in the near future, even with devices today it is possible somehow. Does it make any of you a bit more worried about your privacy in the future?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 1:17:50 PM
At 2/23/2010 1:15:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
Does it make any of you a bit more worried

Yes. Especially about the government :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 1:20:41 PM
well, with the walking talkie things, they would have to transmit the info through the airwaves, which can be intercepted and detected and even hacked into to know where it is coming from and to whom it is going.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 1:25:19 PM
OreEle, I agree they would be detectable. It won't be hard to develop a device that would easily detect something like a micro walkie talkie. However, we cannot expect all people to buy detector devices. It would be hard to put your trust into other people, especially if you only let your very good friends come into your house. Yet, very good friends can always be angry with you over something and "spy" you.

I guess you have to be very careful in the future. Choose things wisely etc. Install cameras around your home so you could easily see something unwanted being done in your home.

Problem is, there can always be a lot of ways avoiding being detected.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 1:33:15 PM
At 2/23/2010 1:25:19 PM, Mirza wrote:
OreEle, I agree they would be detectable. It won't be hard to develop a device that would easily detect something like a micro walkie talkie. However, we cannot expect all people to buy detector devices. It would be hard to put your trust into other people, especially if you only let your very good friends come into your house. Yet, very good friends can always be angry with you over something and "spy" you.

I guess you have to be very careful in the future. Choose things wisely etc. Install cameras around your home so you could easily see something unwanted being done in your home.

As "spying" tech gets better, so will security. They will always go hand in hand. And if your "very good friends" would even consider spying on you because of a fight or anything, then I'd rethink the word "friends."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 9:46:26 AM
At 2/23/2010 1:25:19 PM, Mirza wrote:

First of all, they already have the technology to detect spyware and sound bugs and stuff like that.

Secondly, why the hell would you want to waste money buying expensive spy gear only to listen in on your friend masterbating or farting..
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 10:18:39 AM
At 2/24/2010 9:46:26 AM, tkubok wrote:
First of all, they already have the technology to detect spyware and sound bugs and stuff like that.
Indeed, and I don't deny that. What I'm doing is giving an example of what could be worrying about the future. Not necessarily sound recorders. There are many other things.

Secondly, why the hell would you want to waste money buying expensive spy gear only to listen in on your friend masterbating or farting..
You're wrong when you say it's going to be expensive. Why would simple technology be so expensive? It's simple in 10 years, obviously. We have bluetooth headsets that can function that way, just not at long distances.

And it's nothing I'd ever use. I think spying people to spread rumors, or for backbiting and slander, is something worthless. Thus, people sometimes want to make fun of you in extreme ways such as recording the sound while you do something very private. This can perhaps be done outside a window, and the device may detect even very weak sounds. Would it mean that detectors would spot such devices even outside homes? So you would know when every passerby spoke on the phone walking near your window?