Jump to topic:

I need to vent

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 7:25:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What I don't understand is, if indeed I don't try, and if indeed I've thrown away my entire life, and if indeed I'll never change, and if indeed I'm useless, then why tell me? Yes, mom, the grades on the progress report aren't that good. But why tell me all these things? Why tell me that you and dad can't sleep at night? Why tell me that you pray every day to Buddha for a miracle? Why tell me that you can no longer eat well? If indeed I'll never change, then why even yell at me and tell me these things? If you wanted to help me, you'd stop telling me these things. There's an oppressive air in this house, and it's choking me. I can't work.

It's a progress report, Ma, not that that maters to you. Do you realize that with your psychotically teary eyes you're hurting me more than you are helping? I can't take this pressure. Do you ever wonder I escape into my hobbies?

If I could have a rational discussion with you, I would. But I know that if I raise any objection whatsoever, you'll add another five minutes to the scolding. And I do care, so it hurts me. I want to point out that you're blatantly contradicting yourself ("everyone has already paid for the AP tests" and "everybody will pay for the tests tomorrow, the last day, so you'll waste so much time in line"), but I'll keep my mouth shut for your sake. Oh, and our school is on semesters, not trimesters. I guess I don't know anything that's going on at my school. You're the one who is informed. Of course we're on trimesters. How could I have been mistaken all this time?

I used to hate it when you bragged about me to friends, but now you tell all my friends' parents about me, and I've been reduced to a show: "Wow, your kid does all those things? Ian doesn't do sh*t, and in school it's worse..."

And then there's the fact that you're misinformed. No, Ma, the budget cuts have nothing to do with community colleges, and community colleges do still accept everyone. Even if I were to flunk out of high school, which would be impossible, I could still go to community college, and, no, I won't become a welfare monkey. But that's not even relevant. Even if my progress report were my actual grade, I'd still be accepted into some college. Even if my progress report were my actual grade, it's still way above 4.00.

I'm tired of this. Don't you have better things to do than to yell at me? Oh, wait, you do. You can yell about me to your friends. Meanwhile, exaggerated stories seep down to my friends. I'm becoming academic radioactive material, Ma. That's f*cked up!

I've always looked at angsty teenage rants as cliché and unimportant and insipid and stupid. Now I understand why they're written. F*ck you, Ma.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
collegekitchen3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 7:34:07 PM
Protip: Grow some balls and tell your mother not me.

Next time you feel like typing something like this type it then delete it. Don't post it. Tell your mother you have a penis, you are a man, you dominate. You don't give a fu_ck.

Then go masturbate.

You'll feel so much better, and I'll retain more respect for you, so a win-win.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 7:37:17 PM
At 2/26/2010 7:34:07 PM, collegekitchen3 wrote:

Next time you feel like typing something like this type it then delete it. Don't post it. Tell your mother you have a penis, you are a man, you dominate. You don't give a fu_ck.

Then go masturbate.

Agreed.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 7:49:04 PM
Hehe, don't worry I experience these exact same things from my parents (it gets worse when you're a minor in college - they bitch even about how you take your notes).
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 8:55:36 PM
At 2/26/2010 7:32:25 PM, Koopin wrote:
So basically you are mad at your mom because she is concerned about you?

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have posted this. It helped me cool down, though, which is nice. Writing is a good calming agent sometimes.

At 2/26/2010 7:49:04 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
Hehe, don't worry I experience these exact same things from my parents (it gets worse when you're a minor in college - they bitch even about how you take your notes).

I could make a racist comment right now, but I won't.

At 2/26/2010 8:09:43 PM, Nags wrote:
Good rant. Your Mom is way too involved and critical. What's your GPA that she is that mad/sad?

I'm not pretending that the GPA on the progress report is good (I'd rather not post it, though in most people's standards it's not bad at all), but given that all my past GPAs have been consistently above 4.00, I seriously fail to see the problem.
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 11:45:01 AM
At 2/26/2010 7:34:07 PM, collegekitchen3 wrote:

Then go masturbate.

Protip: If you actually want to be liked on this site, stop being a d1ck all the time.

Askbob, every one has there problems that effect them and hurt them deeply. Calling them a wuss for having problems at home is really low, and sh1tty thing to do.
If you ever wonder why you can't hold an account on this site for more than a week, go re-read your above comment and maybe you'll get a hint. I know you think your bad@ss, but in the real world, when your not behind the safety of your computer, you would be black bloody and bruised constantly talking like this to people.
Yeah, and I would be the first one to contribute to that too.

@PoeJoe,

What I realized when in these situations, is just to not take these situations to heart. Your parents do care about you, and they want the best from you, but sometimes they may ask a little much from you. I think that if your trying your hardest, then that's all that should count. What your parents probably have a hard time realizing sometimes is that your a teenager with alot going on in life, and no one is perfect.
What I do in these situations, is I'll wait for myself to calm down, and then I will go over and analyze what my dad has told me.
He does the same thing, if I argue back he will keep the lecture up another 10 minutes.
What is most important is that you realize that your more important than all those things your parents say. And realize they say it out of anger in this moment. None of it's true.
If your trying your best, and your hardest, then screw them.
It's your life, you should be able to do whatever you want with it. And while they only want what's best for you, sometimes parents can be confused about what really is best for you.
They get caught up with their wants, and what they want to see you become, that sometimes they lose the thought that you are an individual person with your own choices and goals.

My advice to you, is to not take any of it to heart. Your parents do love you, and maybe they can be a little bit strict, but they don't mean any of the things they said. Maybe they hold you at a little bit too high of a standard.

Just keep trying your hardest, and that's all that matters.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 11:55:17 AM
At 2/27/2010 11:45:01 AM, philosphical wrote:

Protip: If you actually want to be liked on this site, stop being a d1ck all the time.

As if he wants to be liked. He has a reputation and the ability to make someone laugh, which is all he cares about.

Askbob, every one has there problems that effect them and hurt them deeply. Calling them a wuss for having problems at home is really low, and sh1tty thing to do.

You need to recognise Askbob comes from the land of 4chan, where feelings don't exist. The closest thing to a feeling is "butthurt".

If you ever wonder why you can't hold an account on this site for more than a week, go re-read your above comment and maybe you'll get a hint. I know you think your bad@ss, but in the real world, when your not behind the safety of your computer, you would be black bloody and bruised constantly talking like this to people.
Yeah, and I would be the first one to contribute to that too.

inb4 a threat from Askbob followed by a pic of his steroid fuelled torso.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
collegekitchen3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 12:07:22 PM
Protip: Leave the protips to the pros.

Askbob, every one has there problems that effect them and hurt them deeply.
If this is effecting PoeJoe deeply he needs to grow a set. There are worse things in the world then your parents being overbearing about a progress report.

LRN2 put things in perspective.

PervRat had a problem that was a legit problem that deserves a forum post.

Everyone has problems. Not everyone has a serious problem that need discussing.

Calling them a wuss for having problems at home is really low, and sh1tty thing to do.

I'd hardly call that a "problem" Quit being overly dramatic.

In the real world I'm hardly afraid of any physical danger that may befall me. I'm mostly the same IRL except that I'm more polite to people who I don't know. But to my friends I'm brutally honest.

Some people need honesty.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 12:07:39 PM
Philip Larkin - This Be The Verse

They f*ck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were f*cked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
collegekitchen3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 12:10:07 PM
At 2/27/2010 12:07:22 PM, collegekitchen3 wrote:.
If this is affecting PoeJoe deeply he needs to grow a set. There are worse things in the world then your parents being overbearing about a progress report.
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 12:39:12 PM
At 2/27/2010 12:07:22 PM, collegekitchen3 wrote:
Protip: Leave the protips to the pros.

Protip: Maybe if you realized that your not as cool as you think you are, you would get farther in life. Stop chasing a dream.

Askbob, every one has there problems that effect them and hurt them deeply.
If this is effecting PoeJoe deeply he needs to grow a set. There are worse things in the world then your parents being overbearing about a progress report.

LRN2 put things in perspective.

I don't care that you don't think his problems are legit, they aren't up for you to decide. If you said you've never been hurt by yelling parents, then your lying. If you think he is a wuss for having problems, then your a hypocryt.
However whether or not his problems are relatively "Big" or not, that's not up to you to decide. Obviously they effect him. If you all you know how to do is criticize people's feelings and hurt, it just shows how insecure you are. So in other words, you should go mind your own business, or talk to someone who cares about your opinion. That would be absolutely no one on this site.

PervRat had a problem that was a legit problem that deserves a forum post.

Everyone has problems. Not everyone has a serious problem that need discussing.

Again, Relative to your opinion

Calling them a wuss for having problems at home is really low, and sh1tty thing to do.

I'd hardly call that a "problem" Quit being overly dramatic.

Dramatic/ being considerate of others (something you have no clue how to do)
= two very different things.

In the real world I'm hardly afraid of any physical danger that may befall me. I'm mostly the same IRL except that I'm more polite to people who I don't know. But to my friends I'm brutally honest.

You certainly don't show up that way here.

Some people need honesty.

There's a fine line between honestly, and being an absolute d1ck on the internet, because your insecure of yourself, and because it is the only place where you can be the person to pick on people, whereas you can't in real life.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 12:44:28 PM
At 2/27/2010 11:55:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
As if he wants to be liked. He has a reputation and the ability to make someone laugh, which is all he cares about.

Panda, he said in another thread that if someone roped 10 people together that wanted him to leave the site, he would. His entire basis for being on this site is that his presence must be liked by others.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 12:55:50 PM
At 2/27/2010 12:44:28 PM, Volkov wrote:

Panda, he said in another thread that if someone roped 10 people together that wanted him to leave the site, he would. His entire basis for being on this site is that his presence must be liked by others.

Not that I think this or that it is in any way relevant...

But hypothetically, this could all be some sort of meta-joke that basks in the glory of there being no meaning to askbob's personality. Hypothetically, he could just be messing around for the sake of it, without any reason...and THAT is the joke itself.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 1:02:14 PM
Praying to buddha for Ian? Seriously? According to Buddhism Ian isn't even supposed to be a real thing, since it is someone's self, and selfs don't exist.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 1:09:55 PM
At 2/27/2010 1:02:14 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Praying to buddha for Ian? Seriously? According to Buddhism Ian isn't even supposed to be a real thing, since it is someone's self, and selfs don't exist.

Oh, yes, indeed. My mom's brand of Buddhism isn't really Buddhism at all: http://www.sgi-usa.org...

It's essentially a groupie fan club for some dude in Japan who is supposed to be like a Jesus.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 1:14:45 PM
Nichiren wondered why the Buddhist teachings had lost their power to enable people to lead happy, empowered lives.
This guy?

Yeah, epic fail. I wonder, did the buddhist monks who taught kick him out of monkhood for flunking Buddhism 101?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 1:31:12 PM
At 2/27/2010 1:14:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Nichiren wondered why the Buddhist teachings had lost their power to enable people to lead happy, empowered lives.
This guy?

Yeah, epic fail. I wonder, did the buddhist monks who taught kick him out of monkhood for flunking Buddhism 101?

Essentially, though it's more complicated than that.

I kid you not. She has a thought portal in our living room that she kneels in front of, and she sends her thoughts and chants through the portal to...to...well, I'm not actually sure. I think it gets sent out to the universe, where vibrations, or something, happen. And these vibrations cause some sorta change, and then...well, it gets really murky from there.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 1:35:34 PM
At 2/27/2010 1:31:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 2/27/2010 1:14:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This guy?

Essentially, though it's more complicated than that.

I kid you not. She has a thought portal in our living room that she kneels in front of, and she sends her thoughts and chants through the portal to...to...well, I'm not actually sure. I think it gets sent out to the universe, where vibrations, or something, happen. And these vibrations cause some sorta change, and then...well, it gets really murky from there.

Oh, and also, Nichiren gets the thoughts, too.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 2:07:39 PM
At 2/27/2010 12:44:28 PM, Volkov wrote:

Or at least think people somewhat like him.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 3:44:48 PM
What guy says "I need to vent"?

sorry but I've only heard that from girls who love the drama...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 5:43:40 PM
At 2/27/2010 3:44:48 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

What... A guy can't vent too??
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 7:25:01 PM

Lol. I just get people to listen to me. I talk alot lol. I also over use lol lol. Anyway I know alot of guys who say "I need to vent"
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 7:28:48 PM
At 2/27/2010 7:27:39 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Fail by inductive reasoning.

lol
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 7:59:58 PM

you're right, real men just suck it up and do something manly like drive a car really fast, get really drunk, and have sex with a hawt chick. all at the same time. yeah!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 8:02:21 PM
At 2/27/2010 7:59:58 PM, belle wrote:

you're right, real men just suck it up and do something manly like drive a car really fast, get really drunk, and have sex with a hawt chick. all at the same time. yeah!

Hell yeah.......That sounds fun! Lol.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 8:24:18 PM
At 2/27/2010 7:59:58 PM, belle wrote:

[Insert Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor grunt here!]
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown