Jump to topic:

The truth about weirdness

Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 6:57:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Out of the forum posts I have made, most are ignored... This will probably be the same but I thought I'd share my theory with you guys, which I believe is true.

1) "Mainstream" weirdness

This is the socially accepted form of weirdness, often portrayed most prominently on the internet. I am sure that many of you will have seen this... memes usually that state how it is good to be weird, good to not follow the crowd etc. This is what I dub mainstream weirdness and is not really true. Why? For this behaviour is not really weird, but more what people deem "random" and such. Other examples could involve obsessions, which in reality are not actually weird due to many others sharing the same obsession. A prime example is Doctor Who fans who dub themselves as weird, the so called "Whovians", when in reality fandom obsession, and other commonly accepted "weird" behaviour is practiced by many. Therefore this so-called weird behaviour is not weird at all.

2) "True" weirdness

True weirdness is a behaviour which results in the "weirdo" (weird person) becoming often alienated, true weirdness is practicing a behaviour which is deemed to be strikingly odd and therefore practicsed by the minority. A person deemed truly weird is unfairly discriminated against due to them being actually weird and so in reality, those who claim to be (mainstream) weird insult those who deemed to be actually weird. Mainstream weird people claim they are weird when they have no idea what actual weird people have to suffer. Truly weird people suffer due to others' often narrow minded views thus resulting in the dub of being "weird" to start with and to be honest, I am tired that these people are to be insulted by those who have turned weirdness into an inaccurate "fetish".

Being random, being different or having an obsession is no more than mainstream stuff. There is nothing wrong with any of those and in fact it does set you apart and make you unique. But it does not make you weird, and to claim it does is only an insult to those who actually suffer because (often) people dub them weird due to their own narrow minded views.

That is my thoughts anyway... Thank You.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 7:18:05 PM
It's interesting what you said. So many adolescents say they are "super weird", but they actually are "mainstream weird." I used to think I was weird because no one would even talk to me, and if they would, it was in a mean derogatory way. I was called weird by so many of my peers and I believed it. I was not happy at the time, but I guess it has rubbed off on my current self in a good way.

"Mainstream weirdness" is not bad, but it is common.
"True weirdness" is not bad either, but it is definitely more weird than "mainstream weirdness."
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 4:04:16 PM
At 7/19/2014 7:18:05 PM, nikidavis wrote:
It's interesting what you said. So many adolescents say they are "super weird", but they actually are "mainstream weird." I used to think I was weird because no one would even talk to me, and if they would, it was in a mean derogatory way. I was called weird by so many of my peers and I believed it. I was not happy at the time, but I guess it has rubbed off on my current self in a good way.

"True weirdness" is not bad either, but it is definitely more weird than "mainstream weirdness."

Yes, I too have often had people point at me and call myself weird. It is due to real experiences that I wrote this post. "Mainstream weirdness" is indeed, not a bad thing, but inaccurate. Those in this "sector" should really not be referring to themselves as weird at all.
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 7:00:28 PM
At 7/20/2014 4:04:16 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
At 7/19/2014 7:18:05 PM, nikidavis wrote:

Yes, I too have often had people point at me and call myself weird. It is due to real experiences that I wrote this post. "Mainstream weirdness" is indeed, not a bad thing, but inaccurate. Those in this "sector" should really not be referring to themselves as weird at all.

I completely agree.
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 4:18:14 AM
At 7/20/2014 10:58:14 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
being weird is normal

No, being weird is not "normal". Weird is the opposite of normal...
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 12:55:26 PM
At 7/28/2014 4:18:14 AM, Zylorarchy wrote:
being weird is normal

Nobody is normal and therefore everyone is weird and therefore normality is weird.
Nolite Timere
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:52:50 PM
At 7/19/2014 6:57:26 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
Out of the forum posts I have made, most are ignored... This will probably be the same but I thought I'd share my theory with you guys, which I believe is true.

This is the socially accepted form of weirdness, often portrayed most prominently on the internet. I am sure that many of you will have seen this... memes usually that state how it is good to be weird, good to not follow the crowd etc. This is what I dub mainstream weirdness and is not really true. Why? For this behaviour is not really weird, but more what people deem "random" and such. Other examples could involve obsessions, which in reality are not actually weird due to many others sharing the same obsession. A prime example is Doctor Who fans who dub themselves as weird, the so called "Whovians", when in reality fandom obsession, and other commonly accepted "weird" behaviour is practiced by many. Therefore this so-called weird behaviour is not weird at all.

2) "True" weirdness

True weirdness is a behaviour which results in the "weirdo" (weird person) becoming often alienated, true weirdness is practicing a behaviour which is deemed to be strikingly odd and therefore practicsed by the minority. A person deemed truly weird is unfairly discriminated against due to them being actually weird and so in reality, those who claim to be (mainstream) weird insult those who deemed to be actually weird. Mainstream weird people claim they are weird when they have no idea what actual weird people have to suffer. Truly weird people suffer due to others' often narrow minded views thus resulting in the dub of being "weird" to start with and to be honest, I am tired that these people are to be insulted by those who have turned weirdness into an inaccurate "fetish".

Being random, being different or having an obsession is no more than mainstream stuff. There is nothing wrong with any of those and in fact it does set you apart and make you unique. But it does not make you weird, and to claim it does is only an insult to those who actually suffer because (often) people dub them weird due to their own narrow minded views.

A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:57:19 PM

2) "True" weirdness

A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 11:04:13 AM
At 7/28/2014 12:55:26 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
being weird is normal

Nobody is normal and therefore everyone is weird and therefore normality is weird.

Nobody is normal is not the same as everyone is unique...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 11:44:08 AM
At 7/29/2014 11:04:13 AM, Zylorarchy wrote:
being weird is normal

Are you implying that all "weird" people are uniquely weird?
Can no two people be weird for the same reason?
My work here is, finally, done.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 12:36:58 PM
At 7/29/2014 11:44:08 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/29/2014 11:04:13 AM, Zylorarchy wrote:
being weird is normal

Are you implying that all "weird" people are uniquely weird?

Yep.

Can no two people be weird for the same reason?
Nolite Timere
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 12:38:50 PM
It might have something to do with posting in the wrong forum. Anything put in the society section is likely to get at least 200 posts.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 4:05:29 PM
In the sense that you define "true weirdness", I personally believe that there is practically no one who is overall "truly weird" and even the small instances of "truly weird" behavior are so incredibly rare to be discounted almost completely. I say this because when I was in grade school, there seemed to be so many "truly weird" things, but as I got older I find that there are really no complete surprises any more. In fact, with the invention of the internet we are finding that no matter how uncommon certain behaviors, thoughts, and beliefs might be, that there is actually an incredibly large following and group of people who are already doing the same thing. "True" originality is just too incredibly hard to come by. So, no matter how "shunned" you may feel by society, you really aren't so special as you may think you are. I'm not saying that to be a jerk, it's just simply my experience and belief. All the "special little snowflakes" out there I keep finding again and again are nothing more than one of many many other "special little snowflakes" doing the same exact thing. Even in instances where I might suspect that there is something that is truly somewhat original (because usually it's only partially "truly weird"), it's simply because the person is doing it just for the sake of being "weird" rather than because they actually think it's the best thing to do. Doing something just to be different is stupidity and has no purpose, you should always do what is best or gets the best results, whether that thing is unpopular or is done by everyone and their dog. So, I personally do not believe in being "truly weird", there are only differing levels and degrees of "weirdness" based on the unpopularity of the actions, thoughts, or beliefs