Total Posts:55|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Book suggestions

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 8:43:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm really bored, and think my spare time would be well spent reading something interesting. Any ideas? I'm open to a wide range of topics - science, business, politics, current affairs, poverty, art, ethics etc.

just no fiction & no dense/tedious philosophical literature
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 9:43:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I like Malcolm Gladwell's writing, but he's definitely a fraud.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 10:01:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 9:29:54 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol that fails to meet either of his criteria.

I know, I was bumping forums in the misc section and I had to post random goop but don't question why I was bumping the forums.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 12:14:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 12:10:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol... no.

I was bumping forums in the misc section and I had to post random goop but don't question why I was bumping the forums.
Nolite Timere
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 12:18:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 12:14:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:10:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol... no.

I was bumping forums in the misc section and I had to post random goop but don't question why I was bumping the forums.

Be that as it may... I am not a fan of Ayn Rand.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 12:21:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 12:10:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol... no.

It's an amazing book and that's a fact. If you disagree, you can take it up with Atlas Man: http://www.debate.org...
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 12:30:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 12:18:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:14:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:10:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol... no.

I was bumping forums in the misc section and I had to post random goop but don't question why I was bumping the forums.

Be that as it may... I am not a fan of Ayn Rand.

I respect Ayn Rand much even though I don't agree with her on many things. I do plan on studying her philosophy soon though.
Nolite Timere
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 12:37:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 12:30:50 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:18:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:14:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:10:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol... no.

I was bumping forums in the misc section and I had to post random goop but don't question why I was bumping the forums.

Be that as it may... I am not a fan of Ayn Rand.

I respect Ayn Rand much even though I don't agree with her on many things. I do plan on studying her philosophy soon though.

Sure.
Tsar of DDO
Ajabi
Posts: 1,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 1:36:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/20/2014 8:43:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm really bored, and think my spare time would be well spent reading something interesting. Any ideas? I'm open to a wide range of topics - science, business, politics, current affairs, poverty, art, ethics etc.

just no fiction & no dense/tedious philosophical literature

Any of Hawking's writings are a pleasure, I can also recommend Games People Play through a friend of mine.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:06:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 9:43:42 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I like Malcolm Gladwell's writing, but he's definitely a fraud.

Why do you say he's a fraud?
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:15:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 5:06:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/21/2014 9:43:42 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I like Malcolm Gladwell's writing, but he's definitely a fraud.

Why do you say he's a fraud?

He's a pretend philosopher.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:26:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 5:15:52 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/21/2014 5:06:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/21/2014 9:43:42 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I like Malcolm Gladwell's writing, but he's definitely a fraud.

Why do you say he's a fraud?

He's a pretend philosopher.

I didn't think he. Fancied himself a philosopher. I understand your point now.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:27:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 5:26:58 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/21/2014 5:15:52 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/21/2014 5:06:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/21/2014 9:43:42 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I like Malcolm Gladwell's writing, but he's definitely a fraud.

Why do you say he's a fraud?

He's a pretend philosopher.

I didn't think he. Fancied himself a philosopher. I understand your point now.

I still think he's fun to read though.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:30:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 5:27:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/21/2014 5:26:58 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/21/2014 5:15:52 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/21/2014 5:06:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/21/2014 9:43:42 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I like Malcolm Gladwell's writing, but he's definitely a fraud.

Why do you say he's a fraud?

He's a pretend philosopher.

I didn't think he. Fancied himself a philosopher. I understand your point now.

I still think he's fun to read though.

Me too. I don't agree with him on everything, but I know when I pick up one of his books it will be at least mildly entertaining and I'll learn something new. The stuff I learn seems to be of practical use, as well.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:43:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I didn't like tipping point very much, and a brief synopsis of this work suggests it may be forwarding a very straightforward and unsurprising point. Is this unfair? - what was your impression of it if you read it?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:51:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 8:43:18 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I didn't like tipping point very much, and a brief synopsis of this work suggests it may be forwarding a very straightforward and unsurprising point. Is this unfair? - what was your impression of it if you read it?

His main point is that innate ability isn't as innate as we might think, and that practice and hard work and the circumstances we find ourselves in really are the determinants of success. It's a very short, accessible read too and I think you'll like it because he uses real life examples to make the points he's trying to make, some of whom are from pop culture and others of whom are not.

As a side note: The reason Dylan doesn't like it is because (I think) of the chapter about Oppenheimer and Dylan's hero Chris Langan, and contrasts their abilities and outcomes. Gladwell, I think, has a very charitable account of Langan's life -perhaps more than he deserves- and is utterly unforgiving of Oppenheimer -which is probably more appropriate.
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:54:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 9:29:54 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol that fails to meet either of his criteria.

But, man, it's NONFICTION!!!
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:54:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 8:51:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:43:18 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I didn't like tipping point very much, and a brief synopsis of this work suggests it may be forwarding a very straightforward and unsurprising point. Is this unfair? - what was your impression of it if you read it?

His main point is that innate ability isn't as innate as we might think, and that practice and hard work and the circumstances we find ourselves in really are the determinants of success. It's a very short, accessible read too and I think you'll like it because he uses real life examples to make the points he's trying to make, some of whom are from pop culture and others of whom are not.

As a side note: The reason Dylan doesn't like it is because (I think) of the chapter about Oppenheimer and Dylan's hero Chris Langan, and contrasts their abilities and outcomes. Gladwell, I think, has a very charitable account of Langan's life -perhaps more than he deserves- and is utterly unforgiving of Oppenheimer -which is probably more appropriate.

Actually, I thought Gladwell was a pretend philosopher after reading Blink. But that didn't stop me from reading all his books lol
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:55:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 8:54:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:51:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:43:18 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I didn't like tipping point very much, and a brief synopsis of this work suggests it may be forwarding a very straightforward and unsurprising point. Is this unfair? - what was your impression of it if you read it?

His main point is that innate ability isn't as innate as we might think, and that practice and hard work and the circumstances we find ourselves in really are the determinants of success. It's a very short, accessible read too and I think you'll like it because he uses real life examples to make the points he's trying to make, some of whom are from pop culture and others of whom are not.

As a side note: The reason Dylan doesn't like it is because (I think) of the chapter about Oppenheimer and Dylan's hero Chris Langan, and contrasts their abilities and outcomes. Gladwell, I think, has a very charitable account of Langan's life -perhaps more than he deserves- and is utterly unforgiving of Oppenheimer -which is probably more appropriate.

Actually, I thought Gladwell was a pretend philosopher after reading Blink. But that didn't stop me from reading all his books lol

He is not a pretend philosopher. He's a social scientist, and one of the best, though I'll agree that Blink isn't his best work. Outliers is.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:56:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 8:54:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/21/2014 9:29:54 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol that fails to meet either of his criteria.

But, man, it's NONFICTION!!!

Bossy, say no to drugs. lol
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:56:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 12:18:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:14:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:10:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol... no.

I was bumping forums in the misc section and I had to post random goop but don't question why I was bumping the forums.

Be that as it may... I am not a fan of Ayn Rand.

Didn't you say that you thought Atlas Shrugged was a well-written book before, even if you didn't agree with the message?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:56:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 8:55:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:54:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:51:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:43:18 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/20/2014 8:47:05 PM, YYW wrote:
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.

I didn't like tipping point very much, and a brief synopsis of this work suggests it may be forwarding a very straightforward and unsurprising point. Is this unfair? - what was your impression of it if you read it?

His main point is that innate ability isn't as innate as we might think, and that practice and hard work and the circumstances we find ourselves in really are the determinants of success. It's a very short, accessible read too and I think you'll like it because he uses real life examples to make the points he's trying to make, some of whom are from pop culture and others of whom are not.

As a side note: The reason Dylan doesn't like it is because (I think) of the chapter about Oppenheimer and Dylan's hero Chris Langan, and contrasts their abilities and outcomes. Gladwell, I think, has a very charitable account of Langan's life -perhaps more than he deserves- and is utterly unforgiving of Oppenheimer -which is probably more appropriate.

Actually, I thought Gladwell was a pretend philosopher after reading Blink. But that didn't stop me from reading all his books lol

He is not a pretend philosopher. He's a social scientist, and one of the best, though I'll agree that Blink isn't his best work. Outliers is.

Outliers is also my favorite.
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:57:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 8:56:19 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:18:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:14:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/21/2014 12:10:24 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/20/2014 10:57:49 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Atlas Shrugged

lol... no.

I was bumping forums in the misc section and I had to post random goop but don't question why I was bumping the forums.

Be that as it may... I am not a fan of Ayn Rand.

Didn't you say that you thought Atlas Shrugged was a well-written book before, even if you didn't agree with the message?

It is well written AND a work of fiction, that doesn't mean that I like it.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 9:03:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 8:57:48 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
In fact, Gladwell is one of the few authors that I've read. I don't read much lol.

What have you read that you didn't like?
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 9:03:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2014 9:03:01 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:57:48 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
In fact, Gladwell is one of the few authors that I've read. I don't read much lol.

What have you read that you didn't like?

I only read what I like it seems.