Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

What do you think the song 'Hallelujah' is..

BblackkBbirdd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 3:06:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
about?

Don't really mind which version you base it one, just explain why you have that interpretation and name the version if possible please.

WIKIPEDIA!
"'Hallelujah', in its original version, is in 6/8 time, which evokes both waltz and gospel music. Written in the key of C major, the chord progression matches lyrics from the song: "goes like this, the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall, and the major lift": C, F, G, A minor, F.[7]

Cohen wrote around 80 draft verses for "Hallelujah", with one writing session at the Royalton Hotel in New York where he was reduced to sitting on the floor in his underwear, banging his head on the floor.[8] His original version, as recorded on his Various Positions album, contains several biblical references, most notably evoking the stories of Samson and traitorous Delilah from the Book of Judges as well as the adulterous King David and Bathsheba:[9] "she cut your hair" and "you saw her bathing on the roof, her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you".[7]

Following his original 1984 studio-album version, Cohen performed the past original song on his world tour in 1985, but live performances during his 1988 and 1993 tours almost invariably contained a quite different set of lyrics with only the last verse being common to the two versions."
breaxxbaxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 4:04:57 PM
I figured it was about a break up

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Second verse, he meets the girl.

There was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

By the fourth verse, it be comes clear the relationship is no longer in good standing.

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

By the last verse it is clear that they are no longer.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 9:09:56 PM
At 7/22/2014 3:06:03 PM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
about?

Don't really mind which version you base it one, just explain why you have that interpretation and name the version if possible please.

WIKIPEDIA!
"'Hallelujah', in its original version, is in 6/8 time, which evokes both waltz and gospel music. Written in the key of C major, the chord progression matches lyrics from the song: "goes like this, the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall, and the major lift": C, F, G, A minor, F.[7]

Cohen wrote around 80 draft verses for "Hallelujah", with one writing session at the Royalton Hotel in New York where he was reduced to sitting on the floor in his underwear, banging his head on the floor.[8] His original version, as recorded on his Various Positions album, contains several biblical references, most notably evoking the stories of Samson and traitorous Delilah from the Book of Judges as well as the adulterous King David and Bathsheba:[9] "she cut your hair" and "you saw her bathing on the roof, her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you".[7]

Following his original 1984 studio-album version, Cohen performed the past original song on his world tour in 1985, but live performances during his 1988 and 1993 tours almost invariably contained a quite different set of lyrics with only the last verse being common to the two versions."
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...