Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

You're, and Your.

Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 11:18:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Your, possessive. As in "That is _your_ horse."

You're, contraction of you and are. As in "_You're_ a nice person."

Why is this so hard for people to understand! This has got to be my largest pet peeve. It is a simple concept to grasp yet so many fail when it comes time to exercise said concept.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 11:36:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 11:18:36 AM, Korashk wrote:
Your, possessive. As in "That is _your_ horse."

You're, contraction of you and are. As in "_You're_ a nice person."

Why is this so hard for people to understand! This has got to be my largest pet peeve. It is a simple concept to grasp yet so many fail when it comes time to exercise said concept.

Haha congrats. You just addressed one of my largest pet peeves. I learned the difference in elementary school so I expect others to be able to recognize the difference. LEARN THE DIFFERENCE, PEOPLE!
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 11:50:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 11:36:33 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:


Haha congrats. You just addressed one of my largest pet peeves. I learned the difference in elementary school so I expect others to be able to recognize the difference. LEARN THE DIFFERENCE, PEOPLE!

You're teacher taught you that?
kfc
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 11:52:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 11:50:26 AM, Koopin wrote:
At 3/5/2010 11:36:33 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:


Haha congrats. You just addressed one of my largest pet peeves. I learned the difference in elementary school so I expect others to be able to recognize the difference. LEARN THE DIFFERENCE, PEOPLE!

You're teacher taught you that?

lol
Your funny.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 5:27:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 11:27:08 AM, Koopin wrote:
Your acting a bit strange today.

I knew someone was going to do that. Though, it is funny that you did; considering that I made this topic because I read one of your posts.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 5:34:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 5:27:48 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 3/5/2010 11:27:08 AM, Koopin wrote:
Your acting a bit strange today.

I knew someone was going to do that. Though, it is funny that you did; considering that I made this topic because I read one of your posts.

Korashk it's possible for people to make grammatical mistakes. The Your - You're error is a common mistake because the words are homophones.

If you understand what the person is saying, that's good enough. Your ranting.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 5:44:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 5:34:53 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 3/5/2010 5:27:48 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 3/5/2010 11:27:08 AM, Koopin wrote:
Your acting a bit strange today.

I knew someone was going to do that. Though, it is funny that you did; considering that I made this topic because I read one of your posts.

Korashk it's possible for people to make grammatical mistakes. The Your - You're error is a common mistake because the words are homophones.

If you understand what the person is saying, that's good enough. Your ranting.

Yes, but "your" is meant to express ownership of something. So when somebody says "your stupid" I get an urge to shout out at them. MY STUPID WHAT?! FINISH THE SENTENCE!
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 6:24:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 6:21:09 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Your a grammar Nazi.

No Your!
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 6:35:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 6:30:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/5/2010 6:21:09 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Your a grammar Nazi.

I am. Grammar heil!

They were National Socialists!
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 7:18:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 5:34:53 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 3/5/2010 5:27:48 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 3/5/2010 11:27:08 AM, Koopin wrote:
Your acting a bit strange today.

I knew someone was going to do that. Though, it is funny that you did; considering that I made this topic because I read one of your posts.

Korashk it's possible for people to make grammatical mistakes. The Your - You're error is a common mistake because the words are homophones.

If you understand what the person is saying, that's good enough. Your ranting.

The point is that it shouldn't be a common error. I don't mind a little grammar mistake here and there, this is the only thing that really sets me off other than there, their, and they're mistakes. These are very simple concepts. I highly doubt that these are grammatical mistakes made by most people. It seems to me like people are truely ignorant of the fact that what they're doing is incorrect. You say I'm ranting, which is true, but I don't care.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 7:21:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 6:35:05 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 3/5/2010 6:30:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/5/2010 6:21:09 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Your a grammar Nazi.

I am. Grammar heil!

They were National Socialists!

Nice try, but I'm not a national socialist. :P

I <3 Jews.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 7:24:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 7:21:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Nice try, but I'm not a national socialist. :P

I <3 Jews.

Ah, are you a member of the Libertarian National Socialist Green Party then?

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 7:26:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 7:24:19 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 3/5/2010 7:21:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Nice try, but I'm not a national socialist. :P

I <3 Jews.

Ah, are you a member of the Libertarian National Socialist Green Party then?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Nope. If anything, I would consider myself an Internationalist.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 7:44:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 7:26:00 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Nope. If anything, I would consider myself an Internationalist.

Geo is going to have a fit.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 11:09:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 7:44:39 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 3/5/2010 7:26:00 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Nope. If anything, I would consider myself an Internationalist.

Geo is going to have a fit.

He's nationalist? That fascist! Jk, jk...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 11:15:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 6:24:32 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 3/5/2010 6:21:09 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Your a grammar Nazi.

No Your!



I lol'd.
DontBeRacist
Posts: 584
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2010 10:54:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 11:15:15 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/5/2010 6:24:32 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 3/5/2010 6:21:09 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Your a grammar Nazi.

No Your!



I lol'd.

Soopasoke dat ooooh
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2010 10:26:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I believe that this does a good job explaining why knowing the difference is important:

http://www.warehousecomic.com...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2010 11:48:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 11:18:36 AM, Korashk wrote:
It is a simple concept to grasp yet so many fail when it comes time to exercise said concept.

If you're going to combine two lengthy independent clauses with a coordinating conjunction, you need a comma.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2010 11:52:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 5:27:48 PM, Korashk wrote:
I knew someone was going to do that. Though, it is funny that you did; considering that I made this topic because I read one of your posts.

You're misusing the semicolon.

You may only use semicolons to clarify lists and to attach two independent clauses.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2010 11:55:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/5/2010 7:18:41 PM, Korashk wrote:
I don't mind a little grammar mistake here and there, this is...

You may not combine two independent clauses with only a comma.

I highly doubt that these are grammatical mistakes made by most people.

Try to limit passive voice, though this is not technically a mistake.

It seems to me like people are truely ignorant of the fact that what they're doing is incorrect.

What does the word "truely" mean?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2010 11:56:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/7/2010 11:52:11 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 3/5/2010 5:27:48 PM, Korashk wrote:
I knew someone was going to do that. Though, it is funny that you did; considering that I made this topic because I read one of your posts.

You're misusing the semicolon.

You may only use semicolons to clarify lists and to attach two independent clauses.

You know, I even just fully grasped the whole semi-colon concept in my last year of highschool.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 1:49:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 3/5/2010 11:27:08 AM, Koopin wrote:
Your acting a bit strange today.

Koopin, you aren't saved, I am serious, you are not, repent, believe and trust in Jesus Christ. Sent me a message if you like, no in fact I would rather you did. Confess, have you lied?
Have you stolen?
Have you lusted?
Have you hated?
Have you disobyed your parents?

Only five, now as you have broken these, where will you go when you are judged by Jesus Christ? Heaven or Hell?

Now you might say Heaven because you believe Jesus forgives or you might come clean and say Hell because you deserve it. Yes we all do, even true born again Christians. But Jesus has died on the cross, shed His blood and paid for it all, now come home! Come home by confessing, repenting and believe on Christ Jesus.

If you have broken one law of God, you are subject to Hell, but Jesus satisfied God by His death on the cross, now believe in Him. And you will recieve the Holy Spirit.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 3:54:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/7/2010 11:56:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/7/2010 11:52:11 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 3/5/2010 5:27:48 PM, Korashk wrote:
I knew someone was going to do that. Though, it is funny that you did; considering that I made this topic because I read one of your posts.

You're misusing the semicolon.

You may only use semicolons to clarify lists and to attach two independent clauses.

You know, I even just fully grasped the whole semi-colon concept in my last year of highschool.

I hate semicolons.

I used to never use them, and now I use them too much :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 3:55:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/8/2010 1:49:43 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 3/5/2010 11:27:08 AM, Koopin wrote:
Your acting a bit strange today.

Koopin, you aren't saved, I am serious, you are not, repent, believe and trust in Jesus Christ. Sent me a message if you like, no in fact I would rather you did. Confess, have you lied?
Have you stolen?
Have you lusted?
Have you hated?
Have you disobyed your parents?

Only five, now as you have broken these, where will you go when you are judged by Jesus Christ? Heaven or Hell?

Now you might say Heaven because you believe Jesus forgives or you might come clean and say Hell because you deserve it. Yes we all do, even true born again Christians. But Jesus has died on the cross, shed His blood and paid for it all, now come home! Come home by confessing, repenting and believe on Christ Jesus.

If you have broken one law of God, you are subject to Hell, but Jesus satisfied God by His death on the cross, now believe in Him. And you will recieve the Holy Spirit.

mmm......
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 10:31:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/8/2010 3:54:31 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/7/2010 11:56:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/7/2010 11:52:11 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 3/5/2010 5:27:48 PM, Korashk wrote:
I knew someone was going to do that. Though, it is funny that you did; considering that I made this topic because I read one of your posts.

You're misusing the semicolon.

You may only use semicolons to clarify lists and to attach two independent clauses.

You know, I even just fully grasped the whole semi-colon concept in my last year of highschool.

I hate semicolons.

I used to never use them, and now I use them too much :)

Yea, I use them more often now too since I actually know the proper usage.