Jump to topic:

What's your opinion of Dr. Phil?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 3:54:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
because I've never quite understood what part of his job requires a PhD .... I'd just like to hear some reviews.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 10:48:15 PM
Dr. Phil is a television show that airs worldwide, thus the content will blend entertainment with psychological discussion, NOT therapy. Keep in mind that Dr. Phil most often attempts to analyse an issue and construct a diagnosis (even though many factors happen to not be evaluated beforehand), never to treat. The airtime of one show is not enough to treat an issue, hence support is provided by sending the participants to clinics and therapists. With that said - no, one does not need PhD in his field to make the show what it is. Not to mention he is not always reasonable, and can be faster on the tongue than the mind.
Austin1061
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 3:42:56 AM
I love him. He is straight and affirmative. up with people. He makes bad people actually feel bad for what they have done.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 7:13:34 PM
I don't really get his appeal. People come on his show to make spectacles of themselves like it's some kind of high class Maury.

That being said, I dislike his heavy focus on "Nigerian scammers". He doesn't really do anything. I once watched an episode online and he made an outlandish claim and said he would talk more about it later, then never talked about it. When I tried to google it to find information there was none.

He's also rude and incredibly disinterested. I watched the episode with Amy's Baking Company and somehow found myself sympathizing with them??
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 7:20:54 PM
I would absolutely recommend watching the original episode of Kitchen Nightmares that these people were on, as well as this entire episode of Dr. Phil, but fast forward to 39 minutes where his demeanour suddenly shifts in the interview (around 39:20).
yang.
Gump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 7:48:19 PM
Honestly he is the best psychologist you could ever meet, everything he does is for his patients and never for himself. He is the most selfless man you could ever meet, and he improves the lives of everyone on his show.
MichaelColton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 3:59:16 PM
As with most television personalities, he sticks to general advice that could apply to nearly everyone in a similar situation. Meeting people for a brief period of time on a television show is not practicing psychiatry or clinical psychology.
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 5:31:49 PM
I'm not so sure about Dr. Phil , his show is fine but often, he fails to go deeper into discussion and sometimes leaves out the most significant information. It contains bantering sometimes and I feel as though the guest speaks extensively instead of actually listening to his advice. Overall, the show is about a 7/10 for me, but that's just because of my pickiness and negative viewpoint.
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?