Jump to topic:

Anyone here have hearing loss?

NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 4:08:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anyone here have hearing loss of any degree?
If you do, It would be great I you could write what life is like and how it is affected by hearing (if is to that degree of being ).

I ask this because I want to know what other people with hearing loss have to say about their hearing loss.
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 9:28:09 AM
Im partially deaf in both ears. It's not so bad, I just have to watch tv with the captions. The hardest part is I don't like asking people to speak up, because they just seemed annoyed. So if im in public and im not working I'll have earphones in even if I'm not listening to anything.
#BlackLivesMatter
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 3:24:27 PM
At 8/20/2014 9:28:09 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Im partially deaf in both ears. It's not so bad, I just have to watch tv with the captions. The hardest part is I don't like asking people to speak up, because they just seemed annoyed. So if im in public and im not working I'll have earphones in even if I'm not listening to anything.

That is unfortunate. One problem is that I get really embarrased when I have to ask someone to repeat what they said. Its a sad thing. Do you generally cope well?
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 4:05:50 PM
At 8/22/2014 3:43:18 PM, 9spaceking wrote:
without hearing, there is not a lot to enjoy.

Well actually from my experiencr, many people can do things to compensate for this. I still enjoy listening to and playing music. Unless you have a extreme level of hearing loss or if you developed hearing loss and can notice the changes, then It will make someones life very hard to enjoy.
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 6:54:41 PM
At 8/22/2014 3:24:27 PM, NiamC wrote:

That is unfortunate. One problem is that I get really embarrased when I have to ask someone to repeat what they said. Its a sad thing. Do you generally cope well?

Yeah for the most part. Lol but yeah i hate hate hate hate hate asking people to repeat themselves
#BlackLivesMatter
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 9:19:27 PM
At 8/19/2014 4:08:59 PM, NiamC wrote:
If you do, It would be great I you could write what life is like and how it is affected by hearing (if is to that degree of being ).

I ask this because I want to know what other people with hearing loss have to say about their hearing loss.

My sister has been hearing impaired since she was about three or four. Without hearing aids, she's practically deaf.

It's evidently frustrating. She's mentioned that she doesn't like when people have mustaches or their lips are "too small" because it interferes with lip reading. People have screwed up her orders because she's misheard something. e.g. "Do you want that to go?" might be misheard as "Do you want anything else?" Phones and drive through speakers are very difficult for her. Even if people repeat what they're saying, not everyone articulates clearly and loudly enough. She was telling our phone number to some office worker a week ago (over the phone) and the worker misheard one number, so she repeated the phone number back incorrectly and my sister thought she heard all correct numbers, so she said it was correct - but my mom and I had to intervene before she ended the call - and you probably get how this can be annoying for her :P She tends to rely on my family to be the "translators" in case she mishears something.

People telling her to "Listen" is probably one of her biggest frustrations. Next to "never mind."

Since she's had hearing problems since she was very little, she also has issues with grammar (she misplaces words like "is," "are," and "did"). And sometimes she'll come up with interesting phrases based on existing ones she's misheard XD

Interesting facts! - She happens to love listening to music and she has only "heard" anyone speak in her dreams once apparently. One way to get all the Frozen songs stuck in your head is to have your hearing-impaired sister drive you to school with them playing fairly loud on the CD player ;-)
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 7:30:16 AM

I have hearing loss. It's a pain because i have a constant ringing in my ears. My ears don't work as much as they did before. Hearing is muffled and they act up all the time. It's also a struggle to hear people talk. I also lost some sound frequencies like i can't hear when people come through the door. It's terrible but i live with it.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 7:32:11 AM

Yeah, my sister has profound hearing loss.

It does affect a lot of her life, especially since she had it since birth (the nurse dropped her on her head, apparently). I don't think we realise how much of our understanding and knowledge comes from passive listening. The obvious first problem is language. Learning through ONLY reading is extremely hard. Learning grammar was a challenge, and although she does convey her ideas extremely coherently, they are not exactly grammatically correct. Speaking, is another issue. Since she can't listen to what she's saying, and how the words are supposed to sound, its not exactly conventional.

Interacting is a challenge, just because you've got to repeat yourself a lot. Its a lot easier for her to talk to other hearing impaired people than others, because the former are much more invested in the friendship. She hates it when someone tries to be her pity friend, people can be really condescending.

Missing social cues is another one- although that might only be because we tend to baby her a lot. I'm trying to be good about that, but eh. Other than that, I don't think its too different. The worst thing, for me, is when she has to put in a lot more to understand what's happening. Since she can't listen to the news, she has to actively invest her time in understanding the Israel-Palestine issue or whatever, and then clear her doubts through discussions with someone in the family which is a long drawn process. A lot of really basic stuff we get through normal social interactions has to be taught, which is frustrating for her.

But she's extremely perceptive, apparently that's her other senses compensating for her hearing loss. Plus, ( and this is common across many people with hearing loss, anecdotal), but they have a great intuition.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 8:24:38 PM
My major frustrations are with my job. My family and boyfriend are pretty good about speaking loudly, clearly, and not while I'm looking in the other direction. My boyfriend's still working on the "not while I'm looking in the other direction" bit, but sh!t happens. I'm fairly good with phones and the headset at work, but only as long as I have the speaker on my good ear (one's better than the other). Problems only happen when I have something going on (phone, headset, whatever) in the good ear and someone says something in the other one. I work in fast food and customers get angry when I can't hear them because another customer is speaking into the headset. I know they can't possibly know my hearing is fvcked up, but some patience would be appreciated -_- I really do want to do my job well, so it frustrates me to no end when I customer drives off because of something that's not really my fault. Beyond that, I just watch tv with the captions on and try not to hold conversations during meals (when people tend to talk with their mouths full or when looking at plates).
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 9:12:41 PM
At 8/22/2014 3:24:27 PM, NiamC wrote:

I don't have hearing loss or anything of the sort, but I can feel you when it comes to asking people to repeat what they said. Just today I literally had to ask someone to repeat themselves like 4 times. It was slightly embarassing.
Nolite Timere
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 12:19:41 AM
So I just had someone write sh!t down instead of talking to me because their voice was too quiet and "blarg"-like for me to have any idea what they were saying. -_- That's kind of embarrassing, tbh.

On a not-entirely-unrelated note: Does health insurance tend to cover hearing aids?