Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

The Weekly Stupid Episode 5

lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 7:41:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
We're back and ready for another fun filled Weekly Stupid.

10. "Look carefully at the data. As I have said, teen pregnancies overall were higher, because women often married in their teens. Out of wedlock teen pregnancies were a tiny fraction of those today." - StopKillingBabies

So it's okay if a 15 year old get's prego as long as they married right?

9. "I see no 'pro' arguments for killing babies in the womb. Is anyone thinking,out there, or is there no arguments for baby killing?" -StopKillingBabies

So I guess aborting Hitler is out of the question then?

8. "There is too little data to support the absurdity that teaching abstinence leads to higher pregnancy rates ." [sic] -StopKillingBabies

But if that's true you are still claiming that there is data thus meaning that you actually know that there is still data to support the evidence for the claim.

7. "Let's make the invisible transparent!"-epv

You wish has been granted.

6. "I don't need sex. The government screws me everyday."- Dr. Obvious

Now we all know that this is an expression, but then Dr. Obvious goes further into it by agreeing with it and saying that he still likes taking it from the gov.

5. "Obama is more right winged then Hitler."- material_girl

Obama is a liberal.

4. "I haven't heard many people talking about this event, but there is some major police brutality going on in Feguson, Missouri. Mike Brown was shot by Ferguson police, and they then tried to cover it up, blaming Mike in several scenarios. Now they are using tear gas and rubber bullets on innocent protesters and journalists."-YaHey

They have found that Brown attacked the cop, his friend was lying, and that he robbed a store prior to the encounter. Plus the protesters have turned violent taking out their rage on the cops and when you have people from Pakistan Telling Americans how to deal with your government gassing you then there is definately a problem/

3. "If the Liberals win another presidential election the GOP could be on the cliff of the end. "- OntheRightSide

False, just look at the Dems. They have survived long spurts of not having a president in office for two or more terms. From the end of the Civil War to Wilson, and from Truman to Clinton. The GOP can do the same.

2. "Guys it is proven fact that White policemen are evul and Black protesters are good and violence is a protest if black people do it! Why? Because Black people are oppressed! And they display their victimhood by looting and vandalizing and killing! How DARE those wicked White people crack down on violent protesters?!"- Logical Lunatic

This one doesn't need explaining.

1. "Regardless of the unwed, teenage, economic, shotgun, or other factors, killing a baby in the womb is terribly wrong, as is hunting down a ten-year-old and killing her with a shotgun." -StopKillingBabies


Now, I know I'm against abortion, but not to that extreme.

Best of the Best Match-Up
Lord Grea vs. StopKillingBabies
http://www.debate.org...

Weekly Win
Sagey vs. Truth-Seeker
http://www.debate.org...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 7:41:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
sig change
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 7:53:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
excellent. For a moment I thought I might be on the episode, then I'm like "naw, I only do stupid stuff in debates"
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:07:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 7:53:32 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
excellent. For a moment I thought I might be on the episode, then I'm like "naw, I only do stupid stuff in debates"

Acutally half of those are from debates. I tried to make a video last night, but the Windows Movie maker won as it was also midnight and I had to get up at 4 the next morning.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:09:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 12:07:30 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 8/25/2014 7:53:32 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
excellent. For a moment I thought I might be on the episode, then I'm like "naw, I only do stupid stuff in debates"

Acutally half of those are from debates. I tried to make a video last night, but the Windows Movie maker won as it was also midnight and I had to get up at 4 the next morning.

Okay then. Most of my stupid stuff in my debates are from troll debates, so they're at the right place at the right time, so they're not stupid at all. You could be ultra-serious in a troll debate or having a troll comment in a serious debate. Now that's stupid.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:16:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 7:41:18 AM, lannan13 wrote:
We're back and ready for another fun filled Weekly Stupid.

10. "Look carefully at the data. As I have said, teen pregnancies overall were higher, because women often married in their teens. Out of wedlock teen pregnancies were a tiny fraction of those today." - StopKillingBabies

So it's okay if a 15 year old get's prego as long as they married right?

9. "I see no 'pro' arguments for killing babies in the womb. Is anyone thinking,out there, or is there no arguments for baby killing?" -StopKillingBabies

So I guess aborting Hitler is out of the question then?

8. "There is too little data to support the absurdity that teaching abstinence leads to higher pregnancy rates ." [sic] -StopKillingBabies

But if that's true you are still claiming that there is data thus meaning that you actually know that there is still data to support the evidence for the claim.

7. "Let's make the invisible transparent!"-epv

You wish has been granted.

6. "I don't need sex. The government screws me everyday."- Dr. Obvious

Now we all know that this is an expression, but then Dr. Obvious goes further into it by agreeing with it and saying that he still likes taking it from the gov.

5. "Obama is more right winged then Hitler."- material_girl

Obama is a liberal.

4. "I haven't heard many people talking about this event, but there is some major police brutality going on in Feguson, Missouri. Mike Brown was shot by Ferguson police, and they then tried to cover it up, blaming Mike in several scenarios. Now they are using tear gas and rubber bullets on innocent protesters and journalists."-YaHey

They have found that Brown attacked the cop, his friend was lying, and that he robbed a store prior to the encounter. Plus the protesters have turned violent taking out their rage on the cops and when you have people from Pakistan Telling Americans how to deal with your government gassing you then there is definately a problem/

3. "If the Liberals win another presidential election the GOP could be on the cliff of the end. "- OntheRightSide

False, just look at the Dems. They have survived long spurts of not having a president in office for two or more terms. From the end of the Civil War to Wilson, and from Truman to Clinton. The GOP can do the same.

2. "Guys it is proven fact that White policemen are evul and Black protesters are good and violence is a protest if black people do it! Why? Because Black people are oppressed! And they display their victimhood by looting and vandalizing and killing! How DARE those wicked White people crack down on violent protesters?!"- Logical Lunatic

This one doesn't need explaining.

1. "Regardless of the unwed, teenage, economic, shotgun, or other factors, killing a baby in the womb is terribly wrong, as is hunting down a ten-year-old and killing her with a shotgun." -StopKillingBabies


Now, I know I'm against abortion, but not to that extreme.

Best of the Best Match-Up
Lord Grea vs. StopKillingBabies
http://www.debate.org...

Weekly Win
Sagey vs. Truth-Seeker
http://www.debate.org...

Yes! Second place! But still, if I want to reach 1st place again then I'll have to try harder.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 10:59:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Ah Ferguson got in twice.

On the radio Mike Brown's father was complaining about when they bring babies into it, the tear gas doesn't magically go away. No duh! Human shield tactics, have always been more harmful to the human shields, than helpful to the cause they are sacrificed for. They are however a nice way to try to repaint the picture of the lootings.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 1:17:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 7:41:18 AM, lannan13 wrote:
We're back and ready for another fun filled Weekly Stupid.

4. "I haven't heard many people talking about this event, but there is some major police brutality going on in Feguson, Missouri. Mike Brown was shot by Ferguson police, and they then tried to cover it up, blaming Mike in several scenarios. Now they are using tear gas and rubber bullets on innocent protesters and journalists."-YaHey

They have found that Brown attacked the cop, his friend was lying, and that he robbed a store prior to the encounter. Plus the protesters have turned violent taking out their rage on the cops and when you have people from Pakistan Telling Americans how to deal with your government gassing you then there is definately a problem/

Lannan, if you're going to act as an authority on the objective truth (so much so that you can call others stupid for misstating the truth), then you better actually have your facts straight.

First, let's start with a little background. Police sometimes lie and black people are often treated poorly by police in this country (see Daily Show video for context).

Second, there were *four* eyewitnesses to the shooting, three of whom didn't really know Brown and all of whom tell consistent stories. Officer Wilson drove up to Brown and his friend because they were walking in the middle of the street and told them to get out of the street. Brown was non-compliant, saying that he was only a block or so from his destination. Officer Wilson got pissed and tried to slam his police car door into Brown and his friend.

A struggle then ensued. Wilson claims that Brown "bum rushed" him. The four eyewitnesses claim that Wilson got pissed and tried to pull Brown into the car through the car window.

It is indisputable that Brown at some point punched Wilson. It's *not* clear at this time whether it was in self-defense (because Wilson was trying to forcibly pull Brown through the window of his police cruiser) or whether Brown was the aggressor. However, on some level, it doesn't matter. Wilson claims Brown went for his gun and one shot accidentally went off inside the police car. The eyewitness accounts claim that Wilson purposely fired the shot at Brown inside the police cruiser.

All accounts agree that after the shots were fired, Brown started fleeing. Wilson claims he stopped firing at that point. The four eyewitness accounts claim he did not stop firing and shot at Brown as Brown was running away. The eyewitnesses heard Brown stop fleeing and surrender, turn around, plead with the officer not to kill him, and then the officer gunned him down in cold blood.

The officer claims that Brown was about to bum rush him again, so he shot him in the head. The autopsy so far provides some credibility to Wilson's account because there are no entry wounds in Brown's back and Brown was shot on the top of the head, as if he were ducking to bum rush Wilson. However, it is possible that none of the shots fired at Brown's back hit him and that he was shot in the top of the head because the *natural reaction* of someone who has just turned around to surrender and is *still* getting shot at would be to *duck* for cover.

While forensics is great and all, it's hard to explain how the eyewitness accounts are so consistent, unless you're racist enough to think that black people just lie for each other to screw over the police. Police get away with mistreating black people precisely because a lot of white people don't take the eyewitness accounts of black people seriously.

Also, while some of the protesters were violent, cops in Ferguson have threatened to shoot reporters with automatic weapons even when the reporters weren't doing anything. [http://www.nydailynews.com...] There is *obviously* wrongdoing on both sides on this one. The narrative cannot simply be that black people are out there causing trouble again.

Also Lannan, it shows how misinformed you are that you would claim that Brown robbed a store prior to the encounter. For one, that didn't happen. It was part of a smear campaign by the Ferguson Police. The actual video shows Brown giving *money* to the store clerk. [http://aattp.org...] Second, it's irrelevant whether he robbed the store. Robbery is not a death penalty offense and our laws do not allow summary execution (by police officers) of unarmed teenagers in our city streets. If a jury believes that Officer Wilson was the aggressor in this encounter, he deserves to go to jail for murder.

Sources:

Four eyewitness accounts remarkably consistent [http://aattp.org...]

Comparison of Officer Wilson's and other's accounts [http://www.cnn.com...]
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 11:20:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I personally think most comments about Ferguson are not very funny, as we have such an incomplete picture. Hopefully with a criminal trial the full evidence will be evaluated and made public.

Even with the shortage of comedy here, there's some good comedy coming from it, for example "My client, Dorian Johnson, he [told investigators about] the situation involving Big Mike taking the cigarillos. This is not a theft, it's more of a shoplifting situation."
http://www.cnn.com...

Theft is not theft, according to one very dumb lawyer.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 6:19:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/27/2014 11:20:08 PM, Ragnar wrote:
I personally think most comments about Ferguson are not very funny, as we have such an incomplete picture. Hopefully with a criminal trial the full evidence will be evaluated and made public.

Even with the shortage of comedy here, there's some good comedy coming from it, for example "My client, Dorian Johnson, he [told investigators about] the situation involving Big Mike taking the cigarillos. This is not a theft, it's more of a shoplifting situation."
http://www.cnn.com...

Theft is not theft, according to one very dumb lawyer.

It's possible that "shoplifting" is a separate categorization (or perhaps a subset of theft) that carries different requirements and recommends different punishments.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 6:52:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Lannan is trying to be entertaining. Stop giving him crap.

It's his opinion of stupid quotes based on his subjective and limited knowledge and in my opinion as long as he acknowledges his limited and subjective faculties, he's alright.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 7:03:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/28/2014 6:52:54 AM, Wylted wrote:
Lannan is trying to be entertaining. Stop giving him crap.

It's his opinion of stupid quotes based on his subjective and limited knowledge and in my opinion as long as he acknowledges his limited and subjective faculties, he's alright.

Turnabout is fair play.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 7:08:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/28/2014 7:03:33 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/28/2014 6:52:54 AM, Wylted wrote:
Lannan is trying to be entertaining. Stop giving him crap.

It's his opinion of stupid quotes based on his subjective and limited knowledge and in my opinion as long as he acknowledges his limited and subjective faculties, he's alright.

Turnabout is fair play.

Fair enough. I would say Imabench said a bunch of stupid stuff in his show that rivals what Lannan said and never caught crap, but that's untrue. Imabench caught crap a bunch of times as well.

I guess it comes with the territory.
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 8:22:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was not actually trying to give him crap, mostly I found that piece of comedic genius within Blue's source and saw the need to share it.

...

Moving on, an idea I'd kind of like to see is a special Weekly Stupid segment for stupidest submissions.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 8:27:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Who do I have to blow to get on this f**king list?
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 8:52:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/28/2014 8:27:14 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Who do I have to blow to get on this f**king list?

Me, now let's do this.....
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 6:37:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/28/2014 8:22:49 PM, Ragnar wrote:
I was not actually trying to give him crap, mostly I found that piece of comedic genius within Blue's source and saw the need to share it.

...

Moving on, an idea I'd kind of like to see is a special Weekly Stupid segment for stupidest submissions.

makes sense.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 12:10:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/28/2014 6:19:23 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/27/2014 11:20:08 PM, Ragnar wrote:
...there's some good comedy coming from it, for example "My client, Dorian Johnson, he [told investigators about] the situation involving Big Mike taking the cigarillos. This is not a theft, it's more of a shoplifting situation." http://www.cnn.com...

Theft is not theft, according to one very dumb lawyer.
It's possible that "shoplifting" is a separate categorization (or perhaps a subset of theft) that carries different requirements and recommends different punishments.
There's petty theft, http://dictionary.law.com...
or more likely robbery http://dictionary.law.com...
and battery http://dictionary.law.com...
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 12:26:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/3/2014 12:10:09 PM, Ragnar wrote:
At 8/28/2014 6:19:23 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/27/2014 11:20:08 PM, Ragnar wrote:
...there's some good comedy coming from it, for example "My client, Dorian Johnson, he [told investigators about] the situation involving Big Mike taking the cigarillos. This is not a theft, it's more of a shoplifting situation." http://www.cnn.com...

Theft is not theft, according to one very dumb lawyer.
It's possible that "shoplifting" is a separate categorization (or perhaps a subset of theft) that carries different requirements and recommends different punishments.
There's petty theft, http://dictionary.law.com...
or more likely robbery http://dictionary.law.com...
and battery http://dictionary.law.com...

It depends on the state. I don't see that Missouri has any crime listed simply as "theft" and larceny is only referenced under its laws related to the military.

It does separate Robbery/Burglary from "Stealing" and it does have extra/different treatment when you are stealing from a store as opposed to personal property.
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 4:06:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It's been three weeks. Will there be more episodes coming out?
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 4:08:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/15/2014 4:06:53 PM, Ragnar wrote:
It's been three weeks. Will there be more episodes coming out?

Better be. I've been working my @ss off to make this list.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 4:11:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/15/2014 4:08:12 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 9/15/2014 4:06:53 PM, Ragnar wrote:
It's been three weeks. Will there be more episodes coming out?
Better be. I've been working my @ss off to make this list.
That may make it harder to make the list, as something meant to be funny, isn't nearly as stupid as something meant to be intelligent.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 5:18:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/15/2014 4:06:53 PM, Ragnar wrote:
It's been three weeks. Will there be more episodes coming out?

No, due to something I have been dealing with there will not be. I apologize.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~