Send a Message
8/28/2014 4:37:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Thomas Paine: "He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

Thoughts?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 8:11:31 PM
At 8/28/2014 4:37:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

No truer words ever spoken. Just look at politicians and the great lengths they go to train themselves to never say anything that might even be construed as offensive. He who dares not offend will never say what the mean. In other words they are lying sacks of crap.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 2:50:39 AM
At 8/28/2014 8:11:31 PM, sadolite wrote:

Thoughts?

No truer words ever spoken. Just look at politicians and the great lengths they go to train themselves to never say anything that might even be construed as offensive. He who dares not offend will never say what the mean. In other words they are lying sacks of crap.

I miss the good old days, when the higher-ups didn't give a damn about public opinion unless they were facing violent rebellion. Nobody would dare harass celebrities when it could cost them their head.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:11:44 AM

Thoughts?

But what about constructive criticism or sugar coating?
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 11:15:38 AM
At 8/29/2014 8:11:44 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

what about it?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 12:25:28 PM

Thoughts?

It's an accurate statement when applying it to my own previous experiences.

I've dared to step where no man has stepped before and told her that she *did* in fact look fat in that dress.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 1:07:27 PM
At 8/29/2014 11:15:38 AM, sadolite wrote:

Thoughts?

what about it?

You can offer constructive criticism or sugar coat something a lot, instead of out right insulting someone...
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 1:08:16 PM
At 8/29/2014 12:25:28 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thoughts?

I've dared to step where no man has stepped before and told her that she *did* in fact look fat in that dress.

IMHO, it's better that you told her that she didn't look good in the dress, than her finding out some other way and being embarrassed.

Did you sugar coat it though or say it just like that?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 1:17:06 PM
At 8/29/2014 1:08:16 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

IMHO, it's better that you told her that she didn't look good in the dress, than her finding out some other way and being embarrassed.

The question specifically was how do I look in this dress? I told her that her stomach stuck too far out and it squeezed her arms in an unflattering way. It was then that I realized she wasn't the one for me. We split up that night. I guess you could call that sugar-coating, but I was more like just pointing out specific areas rather than saying she looked fat. She knew what I meant though - and so did I.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 1:18:39 PM
At 8/29/2014 1:17:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thoughts?

The question specifically was how do I look in this dress? I told her that her stomach stuck too far out and it squeezed her arms in an unflattering way. It was then that I realized she wasn't the one for me. We split up that night. I guess you could call that sugar-coating, but I was more like just pointing out specific areas rather than saying she looked fat. She knew what I meant though - and so did I.

Well, you said it in a polite way, or tried to make it come off that way, so that's respectable.

If it's not prying, why did you *then* realize she wasn't "for you"?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 1:22:40 PM
At 8/29/2014 1:18:39 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 8/29/2014 1:17:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thoughts?

Well, you said it in a polite way, or tried to make it come off that way, so that's respectable.

If it's not prying, why did you *then* realize she wasn't "for you"?

I always knew she was a little heavier than I usually like, but she was very tall and curvy so it really balanced out. But then while watching her barely fit into that dress I realized that she would only put on more weight as time goes on, especially after kids. Once that thought occurred to me, I just didn't feel like continuing our relationship. I have no desire nor need to settle for someone heavier than I'd like. Other guys have to take whatever they can get - but not I, so... I bounced on to the next knowing that somewhere there is some 200 lb guy who would love to have her in his life.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:05:56 PM

Thoughts?

Why does constructive criticism need to be sugar coated? Why is it viewed as offensive?
My work here is, finally, done.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:11:51 PM
At 8/29/2014 3:05:56 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Thoughts?

Why does constructive criticism need to be sugar coated? Why is it viewed as offensive?

I didn't say constructive criticism needs to be sugar coated. You can do either or, IMHO. What I'm asking is if you agree or not that one cannot be honest and not offensive, if there's a correlation.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:16:58 PM
At 8/29/2014 3:11:51 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

I didn't say constructive criticism needs to be sugar coated. You can do either or, IMHO. What I'm asking is if you agree or not that one cannot be honest and not offensive, if there's a correlation.

How can you be honest if what you fell, believe, think, etc will offend another?
Is remaining silent being honest?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:20:40 PM
At 8/29/2014 3:16:58 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Thoughts?

How can you be honest if what you fell, believe, think, etc will offend another?
That's why I said that one can resort to constructive criticism or sugarcoating.
Good question. I suppose it's not entirely honest, but not exactly lying.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:21:32 PM
There is a fundamental difference between a communicative method that is oriented towards compromise and consensus, and a communicative method which seeks to identify facts and move forward. Both have their time and place, but the impetus to resolve conflict is not a universal good because when the goal is to compromise, the parties then engage in strategic positioning whereby they begin with positions of varying levels of lunacy with the object of reaching a "middle ground" that is anything but, and rather the end result they wanted from the beginning. Hamas does this with Israel. The Tea Party does this with the establishment GOP and the DNC. Iran does it with the United States. The list goes on.

In many ways, framing discussions as opportunities to seek compromise -especially between parties which differ considerably in the scope and depth of their influence- actually encourages the kind of behavior I was talking about above. For compromise to work, both parties have to commit to behave rationally and they both have to be 'willing' to reach a compromise which requires that both begin from a reasonable position.

There are also instances where people seek compromise do so in ways that are totally counterproductive to what "ought to happen." That's the case when one party is strategically positioning itself, and the other party began from a reasonable position that isn't outside the window of permissibility. Diplomatic efforts fall apart all the time because this happens, like when third parties try to mediate between Israel and Hamas.

I talk about compromise, because in the seeking compromise, the mediator can't offend people because if they do, they erode the foundation for compromise. But, there are not two sides to every story. In some cases where there are clear differences between right and wrong (like with Israel and Hamas), there is neither compromise to be reached, nor should there be compromise reached because Hamas is always already absolutely in the wrong. (I don't approve of the way Israel has been shelling innocent civilians, but I understand why it's happening -even though I think a ground invasion and total military occupation of the entire Gaza strip is much more practical, not to mention less arbitrarily lethal. The reason Israel doesn't do that, though, is because they don't want to go to war with Iran.)
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:30:10 PM
At 8/29/2014 3:20:40 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

That's why I said that one can resort to constructive criticism or sugarcoating.

See above statement for response.
There are some things that cannot, and dare I say should not, be sugarcoated.
Isn't true criticism constructive?
If I say you are fat, and mean it sincerely, how isn't that constructive? If I said it just to hurt you, that isn't honesty, either.
Then it's not honest, as you said.
Which brings us to the problem with sugar coating. It is inefficient and can be misunderstood.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:34:33 PM
At 8/29/2014 3:30:10 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 8/29/2014 3:20:40 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

See above statement for response.
There are some things that cannot, and dare I say should not, be sugarcoated.
Isn't true criticism constructive?
If I say you are fat, and mean it sincerely, how isn't that constructive? If I said it just to hurt you, that isn't honesty, either.
Then it's not honest, as you said.
Which brings us to the problem with sugar coating. It is inefficient and can be misunderstood.

Let's take a look at the second post here that I made to Ajab:
http://www.debate.org...

I was posting what I thought of his conduct, but trying my best to sugarcoat it.

I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I tried my best to make it as sickly sweet as possible.

Is this not me being honest still?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Cooldudebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:38:10 PM

Thoughts?

Technically, this isn't true. While this may be true in politics and in most everyday life, in some situations, telling the truth doesn't offend people, so the man can be honest without offending people.

Examples:

Do you want milk? Yes.

Are you tired? Yes.

TROLOLOL :D
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:39:02 PM
At 8/29/2014 3:38:10 PM, Cooldudebro wrote:

Thoughts?

Technically, this isn't true. While this may be true in politics and in most everyday life, in some situations, telling the truth doesn't offend people, so the man can be honest without offending people.

Examples:

Do you want milk? Yes.

Are you tired? Yes.

TROLOLOL :D

Nice interpretation lol
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:56:08 PM
At 8/29/2014 1:07:27 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

what about it?

You can offer constructive criticism or sugar coat something a lot, instead of out right insulting someone...

constructive criticism is fine. it's helpful and pretty honest as well, so I wouldnt say that that goes against thomas pain's quote. however, sugar coating is really dumb and counter productive. if you don't like someone (a) dont bring them up or (b) tell the truth. giving someone a false impression pertaining to what you think of them is pointless.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 4:01:18 PM
At 8/29/2014 1:07:27 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

what about it?

I have never been insulted at being told the truth. The truth hurts sometimes but a sugar coated deception can destroy people.

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 4:16:38 PM

Thoughts?

I love this quote; it's getting sigged.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 4:17:35 PM
At 8/29/2014 4:16:38 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

Thoughts?

#honoured
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 4:18:12 PM
At 8/29/2014 4:17:35 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Thoughts?

#honoured

#britishspellingFTW
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 4:18:54 PM
At 8/29/2014 4:18:12 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

Thoughts?

#honoured

#britishspellingFTW
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 10:07:43 AM

Thoughts?

#honoured

Why are you honoured? You didn't say it, Thomas paine did.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 10:34:34 PM
At 8/30/2014 10:07:43 AM, sadolite wrote:

Thoughts?

#honoured

Why are you honoured? You didn't say it, Thomas paine did.

That I shared something that he thought was significant.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 7:44:04 AM
yeah....people have flaws so you must be offending if you want to be honest
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified