Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

open minded

Kahvan
Posts: 1,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 10:38:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I always try to be open minded and it annoys me when people are not open minded. It annoys me not if they dont agree with me but when they shun an idea when in sheer ignorance! So my question is why do you think some people are so close minded? Is not not better to be open minded?
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 11:32:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If you are open minded, you get accused of being a flip-floper, of having no real oppinons, or not taking a stand. I you do take your stand, you will be accused of being closed minded.
Then in cynisim you go 'well I dont care what you think I am its just my two cents' and then stop listening to other people on the same grounds that its just 'there oppinon'. when yours never mattered to other people to start with why should you care about theirs?

I by no means condone any such attitude but you do see the viscious circle that it causes. I do think that a mild application of a closed mind is needed to keep your views from swaying in sync with your whimsicle emotions. C.S Lewis said there was times as an athiest that christianity seemed very possible out of fear, and much later on as a christians there were times he was afraid it was not true and it seemed like it might not. Every conversation with people who think differently than you cannot alter your view, for some reason it just never happens that way. But you can hope that over time all those conversations together will start to sink in some kind of change in perception. that eventually a straw will brake your closed minded camles back.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 11:35:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Open minded indicates a willingness to accept any idea as valid, and not accepting as being closed minded. Not all ideas are equal and we don't exist in a all possible realities are true universe. Being open minded is far less useful than being active minded.
collegekitchen7
Posts: 974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 6:32:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 11:35:50 PM, Puck wrote:
Open minded indicates a willingness to accept any idea as valid, and not accepting as being closed minded. Not all ideas are equal and we don't exist in a all possible realities are true universe. Being open minded is far less useful than being active minded.

this
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 6:33:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I consider myself very open minded.

BUT

Also very judgmental :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
collegekitchen7
Posts: 974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 6:34:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 6:33:40 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I consider myself very open minded.

I'm open minded about things that are right.

I'm close minded about things that are wrong.
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 6:34:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It really depends on what you mean by "open-minded"
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 6:36:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 6:34:36 AM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
At 3/18/2010 6:33:40 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I consider myself very open minded.

I'm open minded about things that are right.

I'm close minded about things that are wrong.

lol... That's not open minded.

First you listen to something... THEN, having knowledge of what they mean... you have knowledge of why they are so very wrong.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."