Jump to topic:

Is homophobia the same as racism?

TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 7:36:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
As there is no evidence to prove a strictly biological cause for sexuality, and most biologist and genetic experts agree that there are a number of factors which dictate sexuality; is it then fair to equate racism with homophobia? It is my opinion that racism is substantially different from homophobia.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 8:03:17 AM
At 9/9/2014 7:36:11 AM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:
As there is no evidence to prove a strictly biological cause for sexuality, and most biologist and genetic experts agree that there are a number of factors which dictate sexuality; is it then fair to equate racism with homophobia? It is my opinion that racism is substantially different from homophobia.

The fact that race is different than sexuality does not result in the conclusion that racism is different than homophobia. They are both irrational fears and prejudices base on some irrelevant quality of a person. Evidence of the similarities of racism and homophobia are the arguments used against each. They are virtually identical, suggesting that the mental processes and failings behind each are rooted in the same deficient psychology and biases.
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 8:38:10 AM
At 9/9/2014 8:03:17 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

The fact that race is different than sexuality does not result in the conclusion that racism is different than homophobia. They are both irrational fears and prejudices base on some irrelevant quality of a person. Evidence of the similarities of racism and homophobia are the arguments used against each. They are virtually identical, suggesting that the mental processes and failings behind each are rooted in the same deficient psychology and biases.

They are virtually identical?? Now that is leap I cannot entertain. One is genetic, the other is a combination of social environment and mental instability(my interpretation of the evidence proves this for me unequivocally) and are as far from comparable as gold and dirt.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 8:57:34 AM
At 9/9/2014 8:38:10 AM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

They are virtually identical?? Now that is leap I cannot entertain. One is genetic, the other is a combination of social environment and mental instability(my interpretation of the evidence proves this for me unequivocally) and are as far from comparable as gold and dirt.

Read my post again.

I am not saying that race and sexuality are virtually identical.

I'm saying the arguments AGAINST them (i.e. racism and homophobia) are virtually identical.

Your consistent error in your posts is you are confusing racism for race and homophobia for homosexuality.

Yes, race and sexuality are different. But that, in itself, does not mean racISM and homoPHOBIA are as different as racE and homoSEXUALITY.

The underlying pinnings of RACISM and HOMOPHOBIA are nigh indistinguishable.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 8:03:09 PM
Everyone and everything is homophobic and racist.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 10:58:53 PM

Well said.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 11:01:24 PM
At 9/9/2014 8:57:34 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 9/9/2014 8:38:10 AM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

Read my post again.

I am not saying that race and sexuality are virtually identical.

I'm saying the arguments AGAINST them (i.e. racism and homophobia) are virtually identical.

Maybe that's what you meant to say, but what the title of this thread asks is "Is homophobia the same as racism?" and your OP continued to explore that notion.

Your consistent error in your posts is you are confusing racism for race and homophobia for homosexuality.

Actually, he answered the question you asked, which is clear to anyone who will read this thread.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 3:29:57 AM

I don't think they're the same. There is a ton of evidence to show that people are racist from birth. Being racist is natural and probably aided in group survival. Racism is natural and largely genetic where as homophobia is probably less morally permissible than racism based on the fact we aren't resisting any natural and genetic bias against homosexuality.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2014 5:02:05 AM

Agree with this. They are the same, both are unjustified discrimination.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"