Total Posts:159|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Homsexuals are disproportionately atheist.

TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 10:25:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd would like to get the opinion of members as to why homosexuals are atheist more often than religious. I think that homosexuals feel that what they are doing is wrong and therefore it is easier to deny the existence of anything that challenges their morality than to accept that what they are doing is unnatural.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 11:10:56 AM
At 9/12/2014 10:25:39 AM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:
I'd would like to get the opinion of members as to why homosexuals are atheist more often than religious. I think that homosexuals feel that what they are doing is wrong and therefore it is easier to deny the existence of anything that challenges their morality than to accept that what they are doing is unnatural.

Something to do with this?:

http://i.ytimg.com...
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 11:26:30 AM
At 9/12/2014 11:10:56 AM, sdavio wrote:

So your contention is that because there are some religious fanatics, homosexuals become atheists?
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 11:27:41 AM
At 9/12/2014 11:26:30 AM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

So your contention is that because there are some religious fanatics, homosexuals become atheists?

No, that gay people do not accept God because God calls them evil.
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 11:43:57 AM
At 9/12/2014 11:27:41 AM, sdavio wrote:

So then you are suggesting that some fanatic with a couple signs speaks for God? Or are you referring to scripture which says "for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God"? According to the Bible (kjv) one must pluck the plank from their own eye before they can speak of the speck in someone elses. It also teaches that God is the ultimate judge, and a man that judge's another man will be judged with the same measure by God.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 11:49:35 AM
At 9/12/2014 11:43:57 AM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

So then you are suggesting that some fanatic with a couple signs speaks for God? Or are you referring to scripture which says "for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God"? According to the Bible (kjv) one must pluck the plank from their own eye before they can speak of the speck in someone elses. It also teaches that God is the ultimate judge, and a man that judge's another man will be judged with the same measure by God.

Am I mistaken in thinking that the bible forbids homosexuality?
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 11:52:02 AM
I think that religious fanatics have fundamentally changed what God means and stands for in the eyes of the homosexual community and I think that they have made God into something HE is not. God According to the scripture is love. He is forgiving and graceful and accepting of all of his creatures. To say that God hates homosexuals is so profoundly contradictory to what the Bible teaches. God hates sin, and a sin, is a sin, is a sin. So your sin is not any more sinful than my sin.
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 11:55:17 AM
At 9/12/2014 11:49:35 AM, sdavio wrote:

No you are not, but it also forbids lying, cheating, fornication, stealing etc. and I have not gathered, in my many years of research into the Bible; that there are degrees of sin. In other word my research has led me to the conclusion that a sin is a sin in the eyes of the Almighty.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 11:57:06 AM
At 9/12/2014 11:55:17 AM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

No you are not, but it also forbids lying, cheating, fornication, stealing etc. and I have not gathered, in my many years of research into the Bible; that there are degrees of sin. In other word my research has led me to the conclusion that a sin is a sin in the eyes of the Almighty.

Then there you have it - Gay people don't like God because he puts them in exactly the same category with murderers and rapists.
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:03:43 PM
At 9/12/2014 11:57:06 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 9/12/2014 11:55:17 AM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

Then there you have it - Gay people don't like God because he puts them in exactly the same category with murderers and rapists.

So then let me ask a personal question that you may feel free to ignore if you wish, It is purely a question of curiosity and I assure you I have no ulterior motives. Do you believe in the Bible and God? The reason I ask is, if you do than surely you understand that all sinners are in that category not just homosexuals, so then why are they disproportionately atheist? In other words it cannot be that just because they are lumped into the category of "sinner", it has to be something more; otherwise we would see more heterosexual atheists wouldn't we?
Skikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:04:37 PM

Even if we assume that it is indeed fact that homosexuals are more often atheist, although you haven't provided any source or evidence. I'd say one possible reason is that homosexuality is condemned in many religious organisations, it is seen as sin.
And then the homosexual individuals start to question what they have done wrong.
Coming to the conclusion that being homosexual is simply what they are and that it is unjust to condemn them for something they had no choice in, more so, god punishing them for the way he created them, they start to question the values of their religion and along with that, it's validity.
And often the come to the conclusion, that is is all just an old fairytale, unsupported by any evidence. Thus, becoming atheists.

Another possibility is, that because of the condemning of homosexuality in certain religions, people following this religion won't admit being homosexual.
Thus the number of homosexuals among believers would appear to be lower than among non believers.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:07:31 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:03:43 PM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

So then let me ask a personal question that you may feel free to ignore if you wish, It is purely a question of curiosity and I assure you I have no ulterior motives. Do you believe in the Bible and God? The reason I ask is, if you do than surely you understand that all sinners are in that category not just homosexuals, so then why are they disproportionately atheist? In other words it cannot be that just because they are lumped into the category of "sinner", it has to be something more; otherwise we would see more heterosexual atheists wouldn't we?

No, I do not believe in the Bible. And I can't say I understand God enough to comment on whether I believe in it. As for gay people, I think it's because they feel that their sexuality is a part of who they are. It's like if a straight person would have to change to only having sex with their own gender in order to join some group; it would seem impossible. And so, when a gay person's parents have told them their whole life that they must be straight because God will burn them if they're not, it would make sense to reject the whole system when they grow old enough to.
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:16:11 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:04:37 PM, Skikx wrote:

Even if we assume that it is indeed fact that homosexuals are more often atheist, although you haven't provided any source or evidence. I'd say one possible reason is that homosexuality is condemned in many religious organisations, it is seen as sin.
And then the homosexual individuals start to question what they have done wrong.
Coming to the conclusion that being homosexual is simply what they are and that it is unjust to condemn them for something they had no choice in, more so, god punishing them for the way he created them, they start to question the values of their religion and along with that, it's validity.
And often the come to the conclusion, that is is all just an old fairytale, unsupported by any evidence. Thus, becoming atheists.

Another possibility is, that because of the condemning of homosexuality in certain religions, people following this religion won't admit being homosexual.
Thus the number of homosexuals among believers would appear to be lower than among non believers.

Thats an interesting view. Yes it is true I am assuming that the premise of this forum is a fact, but I do not think it is incorrect. I could be wrong, but I think as a matter of opinion it will be enlightening to the premise. We shall see I suppose, thanks for your thoughts!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:18:30 PM
If you think about it, most people just accept the values of whatever society they're in. Since Gays are unaccepted it's probably a lot easier to think rationally about religion a opposed to being religious for the emotional, psychological, and social reasons that move people towards religion subconsciously.
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:18:34 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:07:31 PM, sdavio wrote:
At 9/12/2014 12:03:43 PM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

No, I do not believe in the Bible. And I can't say I understand God enough to comment on whether I believe in it. As for gay people, I think it's because they feel that their sexuality is a part of who they are. It's like if a straight person would have to change to only having sex with their own gender in order to join some group; it would seem impossible. And so, when a gay person's parents have told them their whole life that they must be straight because God will burn them if they're not, it would make sense to reject the whole system when they grow old enough to.

I suppose that is an unfortunate possibility. Thanks for your thoughts.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:21:37 PM
Do you think Gay people would be more likely to be Christian if they knew about Jesus's true sexuality?
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:21:43 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:18:30 PM, Wylted wrote:
If you think about it, most people just accept the values of whatever society they're in. Since Gays are unaccepted it's probably a lot easier to think rationally about religion a opposed to being religious for the emotional, psychological, and social reasons that move people towards religion subconsciously.

That is certainly a unique perspective, thanks for your thoughts.
So to paraphrase you are saying that gay people, because of rejection from the church are more open minded to the alternatives to religion?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:23:56 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:21:43 PM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

So to paraphrase you are saying that gay people, because of rejection from the church are more open minded to the alternatives to religion?

I can't word it correctly, but society pressures us to think in certain ways. It's why people can't explain why they have pride in their country or believe in a God. I don't think gay people have the same amount of pressure and it helps them to be more free thinking.

That's pretty close to what you said, though.
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:27:01 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:23:56 PM, Wylted wrote:

I can't word it correctly, but society pressures us to think in certain ways. It's why people can't explain why they have pride in their country or believe in a God. I don't think gay people have the same amount of pressure and it helps them to be more free thinking.

I'd say thats a fair statement. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:28:43 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:27:01 PM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

Awesome, did you want to hear my theories on Jesus's sexuality?
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:33:31 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:28:43 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 9/12/2014 12:27:01 PM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

Awesome, did you want to hear my theories on Jesus's sexuality?

No thanks I am not sure it has any relevance.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:39:28 PM

Depends on which way causality goes, I suspect it goes both ways.

1. Homosexuals are more likely to drop religion (because it conflicts with who they are and the objections that result)
2. Religious homosexuals are less likely to 'come out' than non-religious homosexuals (Pakistan's statistics are an extreme example of this, barely anyone there identifies as an atheist).
3. Religious homosexuals are less likely to act/accept on theirhomosexual urges.

I don't have any figures for the former on hand, but I suspect it's somewhat significant.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:44:38 PM

Gay people turn away from the church in droves because people like you run them out, intentionally or unintentionally. Essentially, your actions and the actions of people like you deprive people of salvation. Worse yet, people like you make the church illegitimate in the eyes of the public. The reason that church attendance continues to decline is because of people like you. Its sad, repulsive and disgusting all in one.
Tsar of DDO
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:44:42 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:39:28 PM, Envisage wrote:

Depends on which way causality goes, I suspect it goes both ways.

1. Homosexuals are more likely to drop religion (because it conflicts with who they are and the objections that result)
2. Religious homosexuals are less likely to 'come out' than non-religious homosexuals (Pakistan's statistics are an extreme example of this, barely anyone there identifies as an atheist).
3. Religious homosexuals are less likely to act/accept on theirhomosexual urges.

I don't have any figures for the former on hand, but I suspect it's somewhat significant.

I dont know if I agree with the latter, but the first two premise I think are consistent with the facts.Thanks for your comments and thoughts.
TheMoralCompass2014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:48:42 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:44:38 PM, YYW wrote:

Gay people turn away from the church in droves because people like you run them out, intentionally or unintentionally. Essentially, your actions and the actions of people like you deprive people of salvation. Worse yet, people like you make the church illegitimate in the eyes of the public. The reason that church attendance continues to decline is because of people like you. Its sad, repulsive and disgusting all in one.

Well you certainly are entitled to your opinion,however misguided and blitheringly idiotic it may sound to the rest of us. What is sad and repulsive is your need to troll forums I created with an intent to learn something and bastardize them with your rhetoric.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:51:16 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:48:42 PM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

Well you certainly are entitled to your opinion,however misguided and blitheringly idiotic it may sound to the rest of us. What is sad and repulsive is your need to troll forums I created with an intent to learn something and bastardize them with your rhetoric.

I think that if you took a birds eye view of the situation, you may see your actions a little more clearly.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:54:43 PM
At 9/12/2014 12:48:42 PM, TheMoralCompass2014 wrote:

This is what's amazing about you, TMC:

You are a part of the single greatest problem facing the Christian church right now, and you cannot see it. You're doing what you think is right, but it's destroying the church from the inside and out because not only do people like you drive people away from Christianity, but the more visible you are, you prevent people from seeking the faith out for themselves.

There was once a time when the church was the binding social glue that held society together, but when society moved on the church failed to keep up. It's not even that the church is passively opposed to homosexuality, gay rights and the like. It's that people like you actively seek the persecution of gay people on the basis of their homosexuality that makes the rest of the world step back and think to themselves "hey, I don't want to be a part of that." Of course, you can't see that, but on your day of judgement when you stand before God and he asks you why you poisoned his flock from him, I would not want to have to account for that mistake.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 12:58:12 PM
@TMC

In case you missed my point, as you are inclined to do, I'll say it again:

When you stand before God on your day of judgement and he asks you why you poisoned his flock from him, you will have to account for that transgression.
Tsar of DDO