Total Posts:93|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Love

ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:30:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
To clarify, when I say 'love,' I mean romantic relationships.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:37:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

Love is a complex plethora of human emotions, attachments, sense of duty etc. These generally give a sense of purpose/drive/focus/directionality of people's lives, so maybe it's true in some sense.

I don't believe love exists in the traditional sense, especially with all the attached sentiments. Romance for example I question if is anything more special than those between comparably close friends except the sexual attraction.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:38:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:34:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
It's largely true, but not for me. Not anymore. Cause now I have you.
Aww. <3 *kisses you tenderly*

I think if someone doesn't find someone to be with, or doesn't want to, they can live just as happily as if they had someone to be with romantically.

For instance, one can find hobbies, can interact with other people, can volunteer and help people, and be just as happy, and LIVE without a romantic partner.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:40:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:37:46 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

Love is a complex plethora of human emotions, attachments, sense of duty etc. These generally give a sense of purpose/drive/focus/directionality of people's lives, so maybe it's true in some sense.
Yes, but one can have all these things, and not be romantically interested in someone.

I don't believe love exists in the traditional sense, especially with all the attached sentiments. Romance for example I question if is anything more special than those between comparably close friends except the sexual attraction.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:45:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:38:17 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:34:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
It's largely true, but not for me. Not anymore. Cause now I have you.
Aww. <3 *kisses you tenderly*

I think if someone doesn't find someone to be with, or doesn't want to, they can live just as happily as if they had someone to be with romantically.

For instance, one can find hobbies, can interact with other people, can volunteer and help people, and be just as happy, and LIVE without a romantic partner.

They would never be just as happy. They'd just be differently happy. But they don't have that standard for comparison.
wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:45:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

I believe it very strongly. Love is one of the fundamental emotions for humans in my opinion. We are rational beings. We also feel the need of perfection. Without love we feel incomplete. At some point of time in our life, we feel lonely. We need love to feel happy and complete. That does not mean we cannot survive. But, Love is something that makes us who we are, more human. That's my personal view.
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:47:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
ok i'll open the door to my philosophy.

For one "love" is not limited to romance, love in my opinion is the deeply caring for someone whether or not its romantic or completely plutonic

One can neither live nor survive without love. Love is a part of humanity. If you have no love whatsoever then you can easily slip into a state of depression and when the depression an zero love mix you have recipe that either comes out as cold bold of murder, or a hot cake of suicide. And if you are in depression are you truly alive?
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Zylorarchy
Posts: 209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:49:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

You can both survive and "live" without love. It is not needed to be happy, and can in fact leave a person vulnerable to dependence upon another.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:49:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:45:04 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:38:17 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:34:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
It's largely true, but not for me. Not anymore. Cause now I have you.
Aww. <3 *kisses you tenderly*

I think if someone doesn't find someone to be with, or doesn't want to, they can live just as happily as if they had someone to be with romantically.

For instance, one can find hobbies, can interact with other people, can volunteer and help people, and be just as happy, and LIVE without a romantic partner.

They would never be just as happy. They'd just be differently happy. But they don't have that standard for comparison.

but i will say that this is wrong. One can be just as happy doing something they love rather than someone they love. *snicker*
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:52:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:45:36 PM, wordy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

I believe it very strongly. Love is one of the fundamental emotions for humans in my opinion. We are rational beings. We also feel the need of perfection. Without love we feel incomplete. At some point of time in our life, we feel lonely. We need love to feel happy and complete. That does not mean we cannot survive. But, Love is something that makes us who we are, more human. That's my personal view.

The universal symbol for love is the heart because without it we cannot live.
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:54:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think that's a difficult statement to objectively make, because I know plenty of successful adults who never married -but they're alone. What matters is the value we place on certain things. Different people place different value on relationships.
wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:56:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:54:54 PM, YYW wrote:
I think that's a difficult statement to objectively make,
Agreed.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 6:57:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

Give me a cute guy/girl and a stein and I'm good. Love isn't needed for relationships and just drags them down. My most enduring relationship is built on her knowing all of my tricks, mutual respect, Personality Disorder and determination.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:02:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:02:43 PM, 9spaceking wrote:
Obviously you can live without love.

Just, only a tiny planck second
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:04:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:49:22 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

You can both survive and "live" without love. It is not needed to be happy, and can in fact leave a person vulnerable to dependence upon another.

I actually agree with this.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:04:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:52:19 PM, wordy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:45:36 PM, wordy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

I believe it very strongly. Love is one of the fundamental emotions for humans in my opinion. We are rational beings. We also feel the need of perfection. Without love we feel incomplete. At some point of time in our life, we feel lonely. We need love to feel happy and complete. That does not mean we cannot survive. But, Love is something that makes us who we are, more human. That's my personal view.

The universal symbol for love is the heart because without it we cannot live.

One can live with familial love.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:05:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

I contest it because love isn't just romance, it's also family and friends.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:05:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 6:49:22 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

You can both survive and "live" without love. It is not needed to be happy, and can in fact leave a person vulnerable to dependence upon another.

Everyone's dependent on one another. Independence is a lie.
Zylorarchy
Posts: 209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:06:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:04:39 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:49:22 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

You can both survive and "live" without love. It is not needed to be happy, and can in fact leave a person vulnerable to dependence upon another.

I actually agree with this.

I actually just made a poll based on this forum. About whether love leave you vulnerable due to dependence on someone. :p
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:06:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:05:10 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

I contest it because love isn't just romance, it's also family and friends.

S'interesting that we agree on this...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
DauntlessWarrior
Posts: 31
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:07:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
LOVE MEANS NOTHING !!!!!!!!!
TO HAVE LOVE lS TO HAVE NOTHING
"the greater the challenge , the more glory in overcoming it" ~ Novak Djokovic

"We believe that justice is more important than peace....
We believe in ordinary acts of bravery..
We believe in shouting for those who can only whisper, in defending those who cannot defend themselves...
We do not believe in empty heads, empty mouths, or empty hands." ~the dauntless manifesto
Zylorarchy
Posts: 209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:07:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:05:38 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:49:22 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

You can both survive and "live" without love. It is not needed to be happy, and can in fact leave a person vulnerable to dependence upon another.

Everyone's dependent on one another. Independence is a lie.

Love leads to more dependence upon another though than any sort of relationship I would say (in terms of emotional/mental well-being and happiness).
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
wordy
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:08:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:04:54 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:52:19 PM, wordy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:45:36 PM, wordy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

I believe it very strongly. Love is one of the fundamental emotions for humans in my opinion. We are rational beings. We also feel the need of perfection. Without love we feel incomplete. At some point of time in our life, we feel lonely. We need love to feel happy and complete. That does not mean we cannot survive. But, Love is something that makes us who we are, more human. That's my personal view.

The universal symbol for love is the heart because without it we cannot live.

One can live with familial love.

Will that person be really happy? Won't he/she feel the need of romance?
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:08:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:07:06 PM, DauntlessWarrior wrote:
LOVE MEANS NOTHING !!!!!!!!!
TO HAVE LOVE lS TO HAVE NOTHING
You're so cute. xD
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:08:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:07:20 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 7:05:38 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:49:22 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

You can both survive and "live" without love. It is not needed to be happy, and can in fact leave a person vulnerable to dependence upon another.

Everyone's dependent on one another. Independence is a lie.

Love leads to more dependence upon another though than any sort of relationship I would say (in terms of emotional/mental well-being and happiness).

I'd say that ability to open yourself up and trust someone is a moral strength, not a weakness.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:10:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:08:23 PM, wordy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 7:04:54 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:52:19 PM, wordy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:45:36 PM, wordy wrote:
At 9/18/2014 6:30:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Recently I've witnessed several people state, that one can survive without love, but not live without love.

To what extent do you believe this to be true? Or would you contest it?

I believe it very strongly. Love is one of the fundamental emotions for humans in my opinion. We are rational beings. We also feel the need of perfection. Without love we feel incomplete. At some point of time in our life, we feel lonely. We need love to feel happy and complete. That does not mean we cannot survive. But, Love is something that makes us who we are, more human. That's my personal view.

The universal symbol for love is the heart because without it we cannot live.

One can live with familial love.

Will that person be really happy? Won't he/she feel the need of romance?

Yes, that could really could be happy. As said before, there's familial love, and the love of friends.

You can also love doing things- like volunteering and actually helping other people.

You don't need someone in your life to be happy.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
DauntlessWarrior
Posts: 31
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 7:10:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/18/2014 7:08:34 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 9/18/2014 7:07:06 PM, DauntlessWarrior wrote:
LOVE MEANS NOTHING !!!!!!!!!
TO HAVE LOVE lS TO HAVE NOTHING
You're so cute. xD

-_-' IM NOT CUTE lM PUNKROCK
"the greater the challenge , the more glory in overcoming it" ~ Novak Djokovic

"We believe that justice is more important than peace....
We believe in ordinary acts of bravery..
We believe in shouting for those who can only whisper, in defending those who cannot defend themselves...
We do not believe in empty heads, empty mouths, or empty hands." ~the dauntless manifesto