Jump to topic:

Ebola is now in Spain

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 9:44:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Ebola is now in three seperate continents. Ebola has infected Spain, U.S, DRC, Nigeria, Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia (In order from least infected to most infected.) So what do you think? Is Ebola being overblown by the media, or is it really a major epidemic threat? I think not, but I am just one boy out of thousands of men (mostly morons, but a lot of you aren't.)

Remember: The more people it infects, the more likely it is to mutate something fierce.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 11:32:36 AM
At 10/6/2014 9:44:00 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Ebola is now in three seperate continents. Ebola has infected Spain, U.S, DRC, Nigeria, Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia (In order from least infected to most infected.) So what do you think? Is Ebola being overblown by the media, or is it really a major epidemic threat? I think not, but I am just one boy out of thousands of men (mostly morons, but a lot of you aren't.)

Remember: The more people it infects, the more likely it is to mutate something fierce.

I'd say you should be careful on that last statement. Diseases moving to new populations and infecting more people is inherently problematic, to be sure, but mutations aren't always for the worse. Syphillis, for example, is a disease caused by a bacterium that, despite still being quite prevalent, is far more rarely a huge problem than it was several centuries ago. It's ability to transition into Stage 3, which is the part that affects the brain, appears to have been reduced. That's probably because it was evolutionarily advantageous to leave the host alive and as well as possible. Viruses do that too for the same reason, and there's little reason to believe that Ebola would find evolutionary advantage in becoming more virulent rather than less.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:08:20 PM
At 10/6/2014 9:44:00 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

I feel that it would be exaggeration to even consider Spain and the USA to be "infected" given the small amount of cases of Ebola in both countries. Unless Ebola becomes airborne, I would venture to guess that it is unlikely to become an epidemic. What will help the USA most is stopping the spread of the virus in infected areas of the African continent because that is where the root of the problem begins.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 3:02:26 PM
This is a very interesting question. Why on Earth did spanish authorities transported a patient with Ebola to one of the biggest public hospitals in Madrid, that had absolutely no way to guarantee quarantine and in which medical personal had been given a 20-min course (lol!) on how to treat ebola patients?

I mean even the teenagers of my classroom would send the patient to a military facility, not to a huge public hospital full of people with unprepared personel.
So, if the infection was not done on purpose, then the president must be Down Syndrome and nobody noticed.