Jump to topic:

Hell explained by a chemistry movie

wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 11:11:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell,then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:49:12 AM
Hell is a Super-massive Black Hole.

Nuff Said.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 10:58:47 PM
I like this thread - bump.

I say if hell is it real then there's no point. If hell is real, the latter concept goes but God and his special nature will make the cold warm. The latter to the former as hell can't break lose.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:03:11 PM
"Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell."

Since all of these religions preach different things, then only 1 of them can be correct. Therefore not all souls go to Hell; the souls who believe in the 'real religion' will not go to Hell.
President of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:12:24 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:03:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:
"Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell."

Since all of these religions preach different things, then only 1 of them can be correct. Therefore not all souls go to Hell; the souls who believe in the 'real religion' will not go to Hell.

Or none of them be correct. :P
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:15:00 PM
I wish we could just ask God directly which religion is correct, but I suppose that would defeat the purpose of God trying to test us. :P
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:17:33 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:15:00 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I wish we could just ask God directly which religion is correct, but I suppose that would defeat the purpose of God trying to test us. :P

lol I can't believe you're still religious after that post. Do you see how funny "I suppose that would defeat the purpose of God trying to test us" reads :p
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:26:59 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:24:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I HAVE AN IDEA!

There's no hell.

You'll probably change your beliefs by next week anyway. :P
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:37:46 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:26:30 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I HAVE AN IDEA!

There's no hell.

Yes there is. :P

Hell was invented during the battle of Constantinople in order to get the Christians to kill the Muslims. Dante put his hand into the real imagery of hell (and his work was meant to be a political satyr). Read up your history, w0man ;)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:46:43 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:37:46 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
I HAVE AN IDEA!

There's no hell.

Hell was invented during the battle of Constantinople in order to get the Christians to kill the Muslims. Dante put his hand into the real imagery of hell (and his work was meant to be a political satyr). Read up your history, w0man ;)

Wait, no..what? Hell is mentioned in the Old Testament, the New Testament and the Koran.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:49:20 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:46:43 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I HAVE AN IDEA!

There's no hell.

Wait, no..what? Hell is mentioned in the Old Testament, the New Testament and the Koran.

Well done.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:51:58 PM

Uh, wtf. Hell is not in the Old Testament. Hell is an idea introduced in the New Testament. However, some trickery must be involved in this because Jesus probably didn't believe in Hell, though the NT says he does. All these ideas actually came from Zoroastrianism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:52:29 PM
I HAVE AN IDEA!

There's no hell.

On Dante yes, but Hell in Revelations is from at least 2AD, before Islam or the 660s.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:55:42 PM
At 4/19/2010 11:51:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Uh, wtf. Hell is not in the Old Testament. Hell is an idea introduced in the New Testament. However, some trickery must be involved in this because Jesus probably didn't believe in Hell, though the NT says he does. All these ideas actually came from Zoroastrianism.

Zoroastrianism?!!?!? Good vs Evil, Zoroaster? Ok how? Old Testiment hell = Sheol. http://en.wikipedia.org...
'sup DDO -- july 2013
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 11:57:16 PM

No, I'm quite sure it was in the Old Testament because I studied it as a Christian. But I'll go look right now just to check.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:00:14 AM
I HAVE AN IDEA!

There's no hell.

There is no hell in the Old Testament. Sheol is just a place souls go. Most religions have this (even paganism - see Hades or even Nysa, or, ha! hel [one L]).

And I'm talking about the imagery used for hell - not the vague hell that is mentioned in the Old Testament, and the boring hell fire mentioned in the Koran.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:01:21 AM
At 4/19/2010 11:55:42 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Zoroastrianism?!!?!? Good vs Evil, Zoroaster? Ok how? Old Testiment hell = Sheol. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Sheol is not hell.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:01:32 AM
At 4/19/2010 11:57:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:

No, I'm quite sure it was in the Old Testament because I studied it as a Christian. But I'll go look right now just to check.

Actually, apparently Jews don't believe in heaven and hell. I have talked to a Jew about this before so no, I doubt any mention of hell is in the Old Testament. It's all over the Qur'an though.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:04:13 AM

From your own link:

"Sheol in Hebrew (She'ol), is the "grave", or "pit"

Btw, Jews didn't believe in Heaven and Hell.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:04:51 AM
At 4/20/2010 12:01:32 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 4/19/2010 11:57:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Actually, apparently Jews don't believe in heaven and hell. I have talked to a Jew about this before so no, I doubt any mention of hell is in the Old Testament. It's all over the Qur'an though.

No heaven, what's the point if there's no heaven?

Seohl - Judaism She'ol is the place of spiritual purification or punishment for the wicked dead in Judaism, a site at the greatest possible distance from heaven.

Jewish afterlife - http://www.jewfaq.org...
'sup DDO -- july 2013
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:05:27 AM
Hell is mentioned 31 times in the new testament.

But Vi says it isn't the same thing.

You can see some of the references here:

http://bibleresources.bible.com...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:08:07 AM
At 4/20/2010 12:04:51 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

Heaven's boring.

Seohl - Judaism She'ol is the place of spiritual purification or punishment for the wicked dead in Judaism, a site at the greatest possible distance from heaven.

Your own link admits that Jews don't believe much about the afterlife, but some believe in reincarnation.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:10:34 AM
Time in Sheol isn't permanent, it's not hell like other religions. Still...what where the Jews thinking, a non permanent hell? Not even scary, no fire, demons or naked people.

Define hell anyone.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:12:42 AM
At 4/20/2010 12:08:07 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/20/2010 12:04:51 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

Heaven's boring.
Impossible, but god will find the way. ^^ lol

Your own link admits that Jews don't believe much about the afterlife, but some believe in reincarnation.

But most do, the Liberal and Orthdox forms.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:15:53 AM
At 4/20/2010 12:04:13 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

From your own link:

No, Jesus mentioned hell a few times.

"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' is in danger of the fire of hell." Matthew 5:22
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 12:18:38 AM
At 4/20/2010 12:15:53 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/20/2010 12:04:13 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
From your own link:

No, Jesus mentioned hell a few times.

Uh, when did I deny that? I already stated that Hell was introduced in the New Testament. However, I deny that the NT accurately describes Jesus' teachings.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat