Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

How do Americans survive on only burgers?

Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 9:57:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Thanks to popular fast-food chains, there is an assumption by many non-Americans that all we eat are things like hamburgers with eight ounces of cheese and fried chicken.

While those are definitely American cuisine, I'd like to open the eyes of the untraveled to the reality of the cornucopia American cuisine has to offer.

Thanksgiving Dinner with all the fixings

What could be more quintessential than this most traditional of modern American feasts? The centerpiece is a whole roast turkey, which is a large fowl native to the Western Hemisphere. Dressed, this beast can be around 8-15 pounds (7kg). The innards are removed and sometimes cooked separately. The cavity is stuffed with aptly named "stuffing" composed of bread, celery, eggs, and various other ingredients by preference. This is removed after roasting and eaten as a side along with cranberries and gravy. Other common side dishes are corn, squash, yams, various breads, green beans, and other dishes. Traditional dessert is the famous pumpkin pie. Of course, this varies by family tradition, and some prefer ham over turkey, but the core of the traditional meal is the recognized staple. A less known traditional main course would have been sandhill crane, which is apparently delicious, because the wild population once almost totally migrated to latrines. Fortunately for them, I've been waterfowl hunting and lately seen more sandhills than Canada's Geese, so maybe a responsible hunting season can commence in the near future, since they have reestablished a healthy population.

Non-Americans: What are your perceptions of American food?

Americans: What are your traditional foods?
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:54:25 PM
I'm an American and all we eat are burgers and fries. It's disgusting and I'm ashamed of us. People in othe parts of the world are pretty much correct.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2014 11:59:15 PM
I am American, and I haven't been to a fast food place (excluding Chipotle and Subway (if that counts)) in 2 years or so. I rarely eat burgers, and even more rarely eat fries.

At college, I pretty much live on tuna salad subs. Occasionally, when I just get tired of those, I'll switch it up and get Chinese takeaway or a burrito.

At home, I make my own food when I can. Last weekend my dinner was chicken piccata and leek-dumpling soup.

I don't think anyone could survive on just burgers...ouch. The very idea is repulsive.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 12:01:55 AM
I live on subway melts and Jamaican beef patties, supplemented by about three gallons of caffeine-laden liquids per day.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 12:16:42 PM
At 10/21/2014 9:57:21 PM, Skynet wrote:
Thanks to popular fast-food chains, there is an assumption by many non-Americans that all we eat are things like hamburgers with eight ounces of cheese and fried chicken.

While those are definitely American cuisine, I'd like to open the eyes of the untraveled to the reality of the cornucopia American cuisine has to offer.

What could be more quintessential than this most traditional of modern American feasts? The centerpiece is a whole roast turkey, which is a large fowl native to the Western Hemisphere. Dressed, this beast can be around 8-15 pounds (7kg). The innards are removed and sometimes cooked separately. The cavity is stuffed with aptly named "stuffing" composed of bread, celery, eggs, and various other ingredients by preference. This is removed after roasting and eaten as a side along with cranberries and gravy. Other common side dishes are corn, squash, yams, various breads, green beans, and other dishes. Traditional dessert is the famous pumpkin pie. Of course, this varies by family tradition, and some prefer ham over turkey, but the core of the traditional meal is the recognized staple. A less known traditional main course would have been sandhill crane, which is apparently delicious, because the wild population once almost totally migrated to latrines. Fortunately for them, I've been waterfowl hunting and lately seen more sandhills than Canada's Geese, so maybe a responsible hunting season can commence in the near future, since they have reestablished a healthy population.

I am an English vegetarian. I have only been to the states once, and found it almost impossible to eat. My perception before going was that it would be easy, but people looked at me as if I were from outer space. The people I traveled with were not vegetarian, but also found the food disappointing.

I have to say that from an outsiders point of view, American food appears to be about quantity, rather than quality
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 4:01:31 PM
At 10/21/2014 11:54:25 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'm an American and all we eat are burgers and fries. It's disgusting and I'm ashamed of us. People in othe parts of the world are pretty much correct.

That's a shame. I may have grown up a bit old-fashioned. That food we are stereotyped into is really convenience food.

Ever had a beef pot roast with mashed potatoes and peas? At least frozen peas. Not canned. Homemade rhubarb pie? Blueberry pie? With homemade crust, not the prefab mediocrity you can buy. I feel bad. You live here, but you're missing out!
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 4:11:30 PM
At 10/22/2014 12:16:42 PM, paininthenuts wrote:
At 10/21/2014 9:57:21 PM, Skynet wrote:

I am an English vegetarian. I have only been to the states once, and found it almost impossible to eat. My perception before going was that it would be easy, but people looked at me as if I were from outer space. The people I traveled with were not vegetarian, but also found the food disappointing.

I have to say that from an outsiders point of view, American food appears to be about quantity, rather than quality

That's disappointing. If you were traveling in the US, I can definitely see how the stereotype seems to = reality. Travelers want food fast, so they get fast food. Vegetarian, huh? Not my cup of tea, but I know people who do that.

We've got some darned good produce, if you bother to look. And our homemade bread doesn't top German baking, but my mother makes an excellent wheat bread, and I'm sure it could be modified with an egg substitute to suit.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2014 4:20:46 PM
Morels, anyone? Wild raspberries? Venison? Black walnuts, fried blue gill, perch, salmon, homemade bread? Apples and pears and mulberries from your own trees? Carrots and corn from your own garden? Any other Americans besides me eat like this? I must be in the minority. Canned squirrel? Ok, I've not had that yet, but it's not uncommon. In rural MI.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 5:49:25 PM
At 10/21/2014 11:59:15 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I am American, and I haven't been to a fast food place (excluding Chipotle and Subway (if that counts)) in 2 years or so. I rarely eat burgers, and even more rarely eat fries.

At college, I pretty much live on tuna salad subs. Occasionally, when I just get tired of those, I'll switch it up and get Chinese takeaway or a burrito.

At home, I make my own food when I can. Last weekend my dinner was chicken piccata and leek-dumpling soup.

I don't think anyone could survive on just burgers...ouch. The very idea is repulsive.

No offense, but are you a hipster? I have this stereotype in my mind of what hipsters are like.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 7:09:11 PM
At 10/23/2014 5:49:25 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/21/2014 11:59:15 PM, bsh1 wrote:

No offense, but are you a hipster? I have this stereotype in my mind of what hipsters are like.

Lol...I have some hipster-ish tendancies, but I am not a hipster.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 7:20:26 PM
If all you ate were fast-food burgers, you'd get a lot of health problems and an extremely high risk of heart attack. It wouldn't work...you'd die...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PropertySales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 11:55:17 PM
How can one survive only on burgers?

Please eat other healthy food which is not always grilled or fried.

Steam and boil are some other better choices too.

Cheers and good health to everyone!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 9:27:23 AM
A hamburger from McDonalds would be considered the finest most healthy food a person could eat to 75% of the worlds population. It always amazes me how the entitled and naive are so clueless to what the less fortunate eat everyday. They would kill to have the opportunity to eat a Quarter pounder with cheese knowing they won't wake up the next morning with exploding diarrhea caused by eating rancid food. Yep it truly amazes me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 9:06:54 PM
At 10/23/2014 7:20:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
If all you ate were fast-food burgers, you'd get a lot of health problems and an extremely high risk of heart attack. It wouldn't work...you'd die...

It's just an exaggeration to draw attention to a stereotype. I wanted to bring attention to what American food really is.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 9:09:23 PM
At 10/25/2014 9:27:23 AM, sadolite wrote:
A hamburger from McDonalds would be considered the finest most healthy food a person could eat to 75% of the worlds population. It always amazes me how the entitled and naive are so clueless to what the less fortunate eat everyday. They would kill to have the opportunity to eat a Quarter pounder with cheese knowing they won't wake up the next morning with exploding diarrhea caused by eating rancid food. Yep it truly amazes me.

You're right, people don't know how good they have it in the 1st world a lot of times, and then when some find out, instead of being thankful, they feel guilty because they assume it was stolen. But even if that's a big step up for a lot of the world, it's not ideal, and we do have even better food available.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 8:23:08 AM

THIS.
Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 8:40:52 AM
wrong. we eat bacon, spaghetti, burritos, chinese food, pizza, lots of things besides just burgers and fries.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 4:56:43 PM
At 10/26/2014 8:23:08 AM, TN05 wrote:

THIS.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 10:06:45 PM
There needs to be an American Culture week or month or something for kids in school. People are totally forgetting the good things that we have in this country, and the positives of the generations before. Good food, hard work, respect for elders, honesty, widespread literacy, freedom, morality, progress, the fight to establish equality before the law, Public servanthood.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 10:07:57 PM
Did anyone ever have traditional Sunday dinner growing up?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 11:22:19 PM
At 10/28/2014 10:07:57 PM, Skynet wrote:
Did anyone ever have traditional Sunday dinner growing up?

No--I mean, my family and I always ate together, but Sunday was never special in any way. We never lived near relatives, so it was always just my parents and I, and Sunday was our quiet day, meaning my mom didn't want to waste her R&R time making a special meal.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 11:34:54 PM
Did anyone ever have traditional Sunday dinner growing up

Yes, I do, at least. My step-mom has done it almost every Sunday for as long as I can remember. I have five siblings and four of them are either in prison, college, or living on their own, so it's just my sister and I. Even still, we still have a traditional dinner every Sunday.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 9:41:32 PM
At 10/28/2014 11:34:54 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
Did anyone ever have traditional Sunday dinner growing up

Yes, I do, at least. My step-mom has done it almost every Sunday for as long as I can remember. I have five siblings and four of them are either in prison, college, or living on their own, so it's just my sister and I. Even still, we still have a traditional dinner every Sunday.

Finally! What do you have for dinner? When my wife and I go over to my parents' on Sunday after church, we have a mini-Thanksgiving meal every other week.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 9:42:40 PM
For anyone who wants a fast taste of REAL American food, try Cracker Barrel. It's fairly close, but a little less healthy.