Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:28:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
DAY PHASE ONE

RULES:

1. All votes must be in bold to be counted. You have three options: Vote [name], Unvote, or No Lynch. Vote [name] is a vote to lynch said player. Unvote removes an active vote [name] or No Lynch vote. No Lynch is a vote to end the day without lynching.

2. A greater than 50% unanimity must be reached during a day phase in order to carry out a lynch or no lynch. They day phase officially ends when I declare it as such; however, I'd like for discussion to cease almost immediately after all of the lynch votes necessary to lynch a player have been obtained. I will declare the end of a day phase as soon as I am online and able to confirm a majority vote. In the previous two mafia games, a player was able to retract their vote thus continuing the day phase if the moderator hadn't officially ended the day phase yet. That is not the case in this game. Once the votes necessary are obtained, no more (strategic) discussion. It'd be best to refrain from most discussion in general. If a mafioso is lynched, don't say things like "Damn - you got me!" until I begin the next day phase.

3. Players must not discuss the game outside of the day phase threads and private PMs I have started. That includes Facebook, the dinner table or anywhere else. I will be included in all PMs between privileged parties. If you, as a player, are invited to a PM under the pretense that it is "official," confirm that I am on the list of recipients. If not, report those players immediately. The penalty for violating this rule is immediate mod killing.

4. Dead players are not permitted to participate in the game, including both private PMs and the day phase threads. Dead mafia players, for instance, were allowed to participate in mafia PMs in the last game. I don't think that I will allow that for this game, so that's the standing until further notice. However, deceased players are encouraged to keep up with the game at their discretion just in case something changes (or they later act as replacement players). I will let uninformative comments slide such as, "Avenge me, townies!" However, if you reveal information that gives a demonstrable edge to either side, I will punish the party to which you were affiliated. For instance, if you were mafia, were killed, and said something too revealing from your grave, then the mafia will lose their next night phase. The same goes for townies.

5. No copying and pasting from PMs between you and I. You may summarize something I supposedly said if you wish, but nobody has to believe you... Also, no screen shots of any PMs are allowed.

6. Be courteous to your fellow players. This game loses fun if you are inconsiderate to others, whether by direct abuse or simply by not showing up. This game is most fun when players, well, play. If you have to be gone for a day or two, let your fellow players know. I reserve the right to replace any player who isn't active.

7. You may communicate with me directly via the PMs with any questions, comments or concerns. You are also responsible for submitting your night actions to me in a timely manner. Additionally, if any questions are directed to the moderator in the day phase thread, you may ask me there publicly as well as via PM (to ensure that I respond to it quickly in the thread for everyone).

8. This game will start with the Day Phase, so everyone listed at the start of Day Phase 1 is alive and well.

9. Some of you have roles in this game. There are no rules against revealing these roles, but be warned, doing so early in the game could have devastating consequences. Moreover, people can (and probably will) lie about their roles. I don't have a problem with people claiming to be whatever character or having whatever role. You can even make up a phoney summary from a PM that I supposedly sent you. The reason I'm allowing this (for now... we'll see how it works out) is because I think deception is a huge part of this game. Of course I as moderator will try and make sure this doesn't get out of hand. However, I think it's up to you - the players - to utilize your own knowledge/logic and the story to determine whether or not you believe someone.

10. The story is extremely important to this game. It will vary between third person and first person perspectives via various means. It will almost always be useful to game play. The content of information that the story possesses may change throughout the game. For instance, on some days it might benefit the mafia, on some it might benefit the town, on some it might benefit neither (unlikely) and on most days it will benefit both.

11. To avoid this game going on for months, there will be phase limits. Until further notice, each day phase has a 5 day limit. Each night phase has a 3 day limit. Day phases that reach the limit end in a No Lynch (subject to my judgement). Night phases that reach the limit will cause actions not submitted to be forfeit. These limits are flexible and can be changed pending special circumstances, and are up to my discretion.

12. The townies win when all mafia are eliminated. The mafia wins as soon as they meet or beat the townies in number.

13. I reserve the right to implement or change/switch up roles throughout the game. Most likely I will NOT do this; however, I may choose to change certain things around that progress or benefit game play. While this may seem like too much moderator interference, I will be careful to detail the story accordingly. The story will contain information that makes players aware of what may have happened or why they happened, etc.

14. Have fun! Report anything suspicious! Don't cheat! And finally... don't take this game too seriously. I wouldn't want anybody going off the deep end on account of my mafia game.

TOWNIES WITH COUNTRIES STILL ON THE MAP:

1. theLwerd
2. Ghostwriter
3. Ragnar_rahl
4. Belle
5. JBlake
6. philosophical
7.wonderwoman
8. ournamestoolong
9. DontBeRacist
10. Askbob
11. BellumQuodPacis
12. koopin
13. Puck
14. Zetsubou
15. mongeese
16. Cerebral_Narcissist
17. Clockwork
18. Rezzealaux
19. commoncents
20.Kahvan
21. OreEle
22. Nags
23. wjmelements
24. SportsGuru

DAY PHASE ONE STORY:

An offer has been made that a select few can't refuse.

The news networks are quiet today. There isn't anything worth noting.... yet.

NOTE: Night actions will be performed in the order received.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:29:38 PM
Additional Players:

25. Oceanix
26. Mongoose
27. Insertnamehere
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:46:34 PM
I figure the random number generation really ought to be publicly verifiable, dunno why I didn't think of it before. So, without further ado (you may have to register an account to see it, but it's free and it's part of the game:

http://www.gaiaonline.com...

You'll notice I rolled a 6. Philosophical, Step right up.

Johnny, what does he win?

Vote to lynch philsphical

Any reasons others should not do the same?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:47:31 PM
edit:

Vote to lynch philosphical

Sorry was concentrating to much on that name.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
oceanix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:48:51 PM
At 4/19/2010 7:46:34 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

To count the vote, it should be bolded. But, I don't see any issues with it. VOTE philosophical.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:50:22 PM
People, please do not bandwagon until Philosphical has had a chance to convince us he shouldn't be lynched. It's random number generation after all, it's meant to provoke discussion.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:51:31 PM
I figure the random number generation really ought to be publicly verifiable, dunno why I didn't think of it before. So, without further ado (you may have to register an account to see it, but it's free and it's part of the game:

http://www.gaiaonline.com...

You'll notice I rolled a 6. Philosophical, Step right up.

Johnny, what does he win?

Any reasons others should not do the same?

You, sir, have inspired me. According to my random number generator I must vote 6 so...vote to lynch Philoshopical(or however he spells it).
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:52:31 PM
At 4/19/2010 7:48:51 PM, oceanix wrote:

To count the vote, it should be bolded. But, I don't see any issues with it. VOTE philosophical.

Suspension list:
(1). Oceanix
kfc
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:53:06 PM
Facepalm.jpg
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:58:17 PM
Random lynches are ridiculous and rely on a "what if" factor. It's always best to wait for someone to say something stupid before jumping on the lynch for that person.

I highly suggest you don't start bandwagoning a lynch because of a random number generator. I just rolled a number on koopin. Does this mean we should jsut randomly lynch a could be townie? It is quite ridiculous as I said before. And INH, I wouldn't start bandwagoning votes so suddenly. Thats what got you in trouble in the last mafia game.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 7:59:37 PM
I was going to suggest putting the pressure on who was the most likely to be inactive based on past games. Haha I'll never understand why Ragnar doesn't put some kind of rationality behind choosing a first number. Anyway, I usually suggest a person to pressure on DP1 based on who I think might be inactive, or who I think would least likely be an asset to the town (take that how you will). Philosophical fits both of those descriptions. The fact that RR rolled him is an amusing coincidence, so yeah, I support putting pressure on Phil atm but I won't bold my lynch because I think he should have the chance to defend himself before being automatically voted off without enough reason. Go.
President of DDO
GhostWriter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:00:41 PM
At 4/19/2010 7:50:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
People, please do not bandwagon until Philosphical has had a chance to convince us he shouldn't be lynched. It's random number generation after all, it's meant to provoke discussion.

In this case, whats the point of even using it? Random lynches are pointless. We have got along just fine without them in previous mafia games.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:01:01 PM
At 4/19/2010 7:58:17 PM, philosphical wrote:
Random lynches are ridiculous and rely on a "what if" factor. It's always best to wait for someone to say something stupid before jumping on the lynch for that person.
EXTEND REASONING:

LOGICAL CONSEQUENCE: NO ONE EVER SAYS ANYTHING.

Fail, town loses that scenario. Try again, points count against you. Random lynches are a settled issue as better than no lynches. If someone says something stupid, yeah, kill them (which in this case would include you if mildly). But that isn't guaranteed.

I highly suggest you don't start bandwagoning a lynch because of a random number generator. I just rolled a number on koopin.
I rolled first. And mine is publicly verifiable. The point is to roll no more than once per day phase.

Now make your move philosphical, tell us why we shouldn't lynch YOU.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:01:31 PM
Phil - We're not voting to lynch you. We're voting to pressure you. We have to pressure someone on DP1 and stuff usually happens from there. Today's your lucky day. Reveal something about your role. Sup?
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:02:04 PM
At 4/19/2010 8:00:41 PM, GhostWriter wrote:
At 4/19/2010 7:50:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

In this case, whats the point of even using it?
That he fails his "chance to convince him."

Random lynches are pointless. We have got along just fine without them in previous mafia games.
Which games are those? It is established that they do have a point.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:04:26 PM
sorry phil, i guess its your unlucky day. give us something to work with?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:05:03 PM
At 4/19/2010 8:01:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
EXTEND REASONING:

Fail, town loses that scenario. Try again, points count against you. Random lynches are a settled issue as better than no lynches. If someone says something stupid, yeah, kill them (which in this case would include you if mildly). But that isn't guaranteed.

I highly suggest you don't start bandwagoning a lynch because of a random number generator. I just rolled a number on koopin.
I rolled first. And mine is publicly verifiable. The point is to roll no more than once per day phase.

Okay, I'm going to show you how random lynches are stupid. Why don't you tell me why we shouldn't lynch YOU ragnar? Your are just as random as anyone else, are you not? I could just easily press you for the same information, and would probably get the same answer I am giving you. I don't find it essential to give up anything about my role this early in the game and without reasoning. So if your going to play it this way, why don't you reveal something about your role to us then?
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:11:17 PM
Think about it. Lynching someone randomly supports the mafia in every way shape and form.
Mafia advantages of random generator:
1. Gives them a free lynch of a townie, with their additional night kill.
2. As the town they can cover it up by it being completely random.
3. They can create non-relative things in attempt to provide accusation, and get away clean.

Townie advantages:
1.????
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:11:58 PM
At 4/19/2010 8:05:03 PM, philosphical wrote:
At 4/19/2010 8:01:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
EXTEND REASONING:

Okay, I'm going to show you how random lynches are stupid. Why don't you tell me why we shouldn't lynch YOU ragnar? Your are just as random as anyone else, are you not?
No, I'm not. I'm making a publicly verified random vote. You didn't randomly roll me, let alone verifiably. I make random votes every game unless someone says something stupid before I get there (unlikely). The entire point is that a random lynch is unbiased and is not supposed to be deterred (deterring it discourages the strategy which renders it useless which renders less information available for lynching since random lynches do get excellent information).

I don't find it essential to give up anything about my role this early in the game and without reasoning.
By your reasoning-- no one says anything, town loses. Fail, try again. Come up with a better strategy.

So if your going to play it this way, why don't you reveal something about your role to us then?
The random number generator didn't give my number.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:13:55 PM
At 4/19/2010 8:11:17 PM, philosphical wrote:
Think about it. Lynching someone randomly supports the mafia in every way shape and form.
No. Failure to have a random lynch option when the alternate possibility is a no lynch supports the mafia. If there are no lynches, the town is guaranteed to lose.

Mafia advantages of random generator:
1. Gives them a free lynch of a townie, with their additional night kill.
No. It's RANDOM. It's PUBLICLY VERIFIABLE. It could come up a mafia just like a townie.

Townie advantages:
1. We have a superior alternative to no lynch, which is a losing move under normal mafia conditions.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:14:50 PM
Incidentally, Philosphical, I recall making the same argument with LM several games ago that you are now making with me.

There was a reason for it. I was mafia in that game.
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:15:02 PM
VOTE TO LYNCH THELWERD

Reasoning: She's pushing for philosphical to role reveal. Something when she's a townie that she never does.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:16:48 PM
Also everyone that is going off a random number generator is retarded.

Think about it. Ragnar could easily have rolled the number multiple times until he got someone who wasn't in his faction. Then posted the results. The random number generator is not a valid reasoning for lynching someone
:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:18:56 PM
I am pretty sure that random lynching is not the way to go, but at least it gets everyone talking so we can make real suspensions.
kfc
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:19:03 PM
At 4/19/2010 8:16:48 PM, Tamikajones wrote:

Think about it. Ragnar could easily have rolled the number multiple times until he got someone who wasn't in his faction. Then posted the results. The random number generator is not a valid reasoning for lynching someone

worked out pretty well last game :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:20:05 PM
Hi.

I like random vote, but only to apply pressure. Phil, say something to defend yourself. Do not attack random lynching. That is stupid. Nothing so far you have said is logical.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:20:31 PM
At 4/19/2010 8:16:48 PM, Tamikajones wrote:

Think about it. Ragnar could easily have rolled the number multiple times until he got someone who wasn't in his faction.
How would I have done that? You can see my profile on that site. It does not permit rerolls in the same post. You can see that the last thread I posted on there before the current one was months ago.

The random number generator is not a valid reasoning for lynching someone
It's called pressure, as Lwerd pointed out.And Philosphical is responding with stupid alternatives that lead to a no-lynch.
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:20:40 PM
At 4/19/2010 8:19:03 PM, belle wrote:
worked out pretty well last game :P

Ragnar happened to be townie last game, if he's confirmed townie then its fine, but he could easily be anti-town
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2010 8:21:56 PM
I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt to Askbob and hope that he did NOT realize I made this a PUBLICLY VERIFIABLE ROLL, depite the fact that I posted earlier precisely what made it such a roll.