Jump to topic:

Impromptu Debate

1stLordofTheVenerability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 11:07:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Those of you whom are professional debaters might recorgnize this format of debate, which is really quite interesting. Anyhow, I've yet to try it, so Brian Eggleston agreed to try one on this site tomorrow at 1:30 Eastern Time zone.

It would work like this: We each have two arguments; the first would introduce the topic and greet the opponent. The second would create an -in-depth argument on the topic. We would have five or ten minutes to argue in round two.

The exhilarating part would be that we don't debate the same topic. We request of two others who are online to create three topics (three for him and three for me). Then we can each pick one and argue upon our own without rebutting the opponent. The most outstanding, solitary, five/ten minute argument wins.

Now, this is obviously a unique method of debate to DDO, and we need the cooperation of two random participants tomorrow to provide three topics to Brian (after which he will choose one) and three to me (after which I will choose one) by PM at 1:30 Eastern. Then, we require our volunteers, during round 1, to identify which of us they nominated topics for and then to post the six options in the comment thread to ensure complete fairness.

If you're willing to be those volunteers (and will be available at that time), please post your agreement below.

Cheerio! and thanks.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 11:22:05 AM
I volunteer.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 11:31:08 AM
do I just provide topic or do I need to give wether or not your pro or con to said topic that I give?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 2:32:33 PM
At 4/21/2010 11:31:08 AM, Marauder wrote:
do I just provide topic or do I need to give wether or not your pro or con to said topic that I give?

Great Idea guys. I think this would be better in the DDO video chat room however. What do you chaps say? That way we can get the topic on the spot and easily prove that we aren't cheating.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
1stLordofTheVenerability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 5:37:01 PM
At 4/21/2010 11:31:08 AM, Marauder wrote:

You have to provide three topics to one of us. that person will choose one of them and argue for/against it in five/ten minutes. Then you have to post all three of them in the comments section to varify that there isn't any sneakiness or cheating. :D

Philosophical, there's a video chatroom? I'd go on the chatroom, but I don't have a webcam and wouldn't be willing to use it if I did. :P

Cheerio, thanks for volunteering, chaps
1stLordofTheVenerability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2010 10:51:59 AM
At 4/22/2010 10:48:20 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Just 3 random topics? Sure, I'll post 3... Where at?

PM them to Brian and then Post them on the Debate when I start it up in a moment. :D Thanks, L!