Jump to topic:

Couples bickering in public

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2008 8:46:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Do you and your girlfriend / boyfriend / husband / wife have public rows?

Personally, my wife and I have never had a verbal disagreement outside the house or the car.

On the other hand, my girlfriend and I argue all the time - in shops, restaurants, bars, the street - anywhere and everywhere in fact.

Or at least she argues and I try and placate her (please darling, you're attracting attention / I don't care, I don't care if the whole world knows about it / shhhh! / don't you "shhhh!" me…etc.)

Doing one's "dirty washing in public" is embarrassing, don't you think?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2008 10:07:15 AM
At 12/17/2008 8:46:29 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Do you and your girlfriend / boyfriend / husband / wife have public rows?

Personally, my wife and I have never had a verbal disagreement outside the house or the car.

On the other hand, my girlfriend and I argue all the time - in shops, restaurants, bars, the street - anywhere and everywhere in fact.

Or at least she argues and I try and placate her (please darling, you're attracting attention / I don't care, I don't care if the whole world knows about it / shhhh! / don't you "shhhh!" me…etc.)

Doing one's "dirty washing in public" is embarrassing, don't you think?

I hate it when I'm browsing and an arguing couple come along, especially in a queue. And when they interact with you, boy are you screwed.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2008 6:40:51 PM
Does your wife know about your girlfriend then?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2008 1:01:37 AM
At 12/21/2008 6:40:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

No but his mistress and hand servant know.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2008 4:30:38 AM
At 12/22/2008 1:33:28 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 12/21/2008 6:40:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

No.

*Gives the man a high five*

My brother's constantly bicker in public. So I do my patented unseen-ninja-hand-grip-of-doom.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2008 8:10:42 AM
At 12/22/2008 8:03:42 AM, s0m31john wrote:
I hate couples in public for the sole reason that I've never had a girlfriend. I guess you could call me bitter. ;_;

As Bob Marley astutely observed: no woman, no cry...
crackofdawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2008 9:26:21 AM
But does the girlfriend know about the wife?

Now that's the true question.

Honestly it depends on the area. For the most part (i.e. park, street) if they want to spill their own dirty laundry, that's fine with me. But it's not okay at restaurants, sports events, etc.
A man comes to a fork in a road. . He ends up going left where he is ran over by a car. Another person comes to the same fork and decides to right. He also gets ran over by a car. A third person comes to the same fork. He decides that walking up a road in the dark is not smart and takes the grassy middle of the fork. He survives.

Moral: Don't be an extremist, neither side can be right all the time. Sometimes, you have to make your own path.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2008 10:29:16 AM
I'm a very private person and hate when people know about my business or intimate affairs. So yes, I'd have to agree with you, Brian -- It's inappropriate, embarassing and sucks in general. The less people who know about your personal life, the better!
President of DDO
Juggernaut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2008 6:50:36 AM
Couples arguing in public is a little annoying I admit. In my argumentative nature, I pretend it's an online debate and that they are competing for my vote.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2008 7:30:22 AM
At 12/28/2008 6:50:36 AM, Juggernaut wrote:
Couples arguing in public is a little annoying I admit. In my argumentative nature, I pretend it's an online debate and that they are competing for my vote.
Do they ever pull meaningless semantics arguments? If not, it might be difficult to pretend it's an online debate.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2008 8:51:23 AM
At 12/28/2008 7:30:22 AM, beem0r wrote:
At 12/28/2008 6:50:36 AM, Juggernaut wrote:
Do they ever pull meaningless semantics arguments? If not, it might be difficult to pretend it's an online debate.

Lol!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2008 9:42:20 AM
Couples bicker about semantics all the time, actually.

"Now when you say I cheated, TECHNICALLY I didn't exactly CHEAT, per se..."
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2008 11:28:41 AM
I didn't put my hand up that women's dress, per se, the wind more less blew ferociously and my arms slipped and happened to touch her thigh. Same difference!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2008 8:35:40 PM
Precisely.

Warning: I'm assuming that most of you haven't had much experience with relationships yet (I've had four significant ones that lasted 1 - 2 years), but be prepared for your debating skills to come as a complete hindrance and/or liability when it comes to your relationships. You get so used to arguing all the time that making your bf/gf look stupid and being aggressive + saying things like "Moreover" and "Strawman fallacy!" in your every day conversation is inevitable. And it comes with a price.
President of DDO