Jump to topic:

An Unusual View

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 11:14:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
(Disclaimer: In posting this I am not endorsing the ideas suggested in this article.)
http://fee.org...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 1:05:59 AM
Please remind me, if I forget, to lambast this argument tomorrow. It's content is vile, and I am shocked that people still believe that garbage. The ethical repugnance of slavery, the sheer moral turpitude it represents, is reason alone to discard it into the waste dump of history as one of our more shameful habits that we've finally (and thankfully) rid ourselves of.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 1:47:15 AM
At 11/9/2014 11:14:58 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
(Disclaimer: In posting this I am not endorsing the ideas suggested in this article.)
http://fee.org...

I think that the writer is underestimating the fact that humans have evolved to become intlligent creatures, not mindless animals who enslave others.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 10:13:22 AM
*Cracks Fingers*

1. Slavery is natural.

Argument from nature fallacy. Assumes the following argument:

P1) We ought not abolish whatever is natural
P2) Slavery is natural
C) We ought not abolish slavery

Cf. Smallpox, any disease, rape, murder, lack of technology, etc etc. We ought not to abolish those too, if we are to presuppose P1.

2. Slavery has always existed.

Appeal to tradition, all the same problems as the argument from nature.

Also..

"its persistence may nonetheless be well grounded in a logic we have yet to understand."

Or perhaps we do understand it's logic, human greed, lack of empathy, dehumanisation of slaves, etc. This is no way an argument to maintain slavery in either case.

3. Every society on earth has slavery.

Attempts to equate people working in appalling conditions this present say to slavery. This makes slavery acceptable... how exactly> It assumes we ought not to also abolish appalling working conditions too, which is pretty easy to argue against. Slaves also lack any choice, or autonomy over their actions. Which counts significantly in human well-being.

4. The slaves are not capable of taking care of themselves.

This might have been an interesting argument. If it genuinely was the case that people would be much better off in slavery than free, then a good case for it can be made (in my opinion).

That however, is not the world we generally live in.

5. Without masters, the slaves will die off.

I find this hard to believe in the present day, besides we are moving from the current status quo of no slavery, to a status quo of having slavery, so this argument lacks any relevent context of this day. All arguments here were assuming slavery exists as it did in the 1800's, which simply isn't the case now.it would

Also, let's assume that it really is the case the slaves will die off if we abolished it, an argument can still be made to abolish it because killing off 1 generation of slaves that are trapped in slavery is preferable to allowing a countless number of future generations remaining in slavery on utilitarian calculations.

CBA to do 7-10 right now, will come back to these later.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 5:27:31 PM
I think you guys need to do your homework on this one. The author, Robert Higgs, is an Austrian economic anarchist.

If you actually pay attention to the article, nowhere does he actually advocate the revival of slavery. He uses these arguments, and the provocative title, to suggest at the very end that these are the very same kinds of arguments advanced in support of a state structure, and that, if we reject them in the domain of slavery, we should hesitate on their merits when advanced to legitimize government.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 5:32:38 PM
At one time, countless people found one or more of the foregoing reasons adequate grounds on which to oppose the abolition of slavery. Yet in retrospect, these reasons seem shabby"more rationalizations than reasons.

Today these reasons or very similar ones are used by opponents of a different form of abolitionism: the proposal that government as we know it"monopolistic, individually nonconsensual rule by an armed group that demands obedience and payment of taxes"be abolished. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide whether the foregoing reasons are more compelling in this regard than they were in regard to the proposed abolition of slavery.