Jump to topic:

How to be a great debator...

Thinker0
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 2:47:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hey guys, My name is Clay and I love learning and growing. I am smart (or so I think, haha) but I was wondering what are some good ways to articulate that. How do you prepare an opening statement, and like how to put together an argument, clearly? What are some good researching tips? What are some good speaking skills and tips? I know these are quite basic, but I really want to try to learn and know how to present that to others, clearly and logically. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a million.
Veritatem Cognoscere
"To know the truth"
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 2:55:23 PM
SEMANTICS, ITS ALL SEMANTICS!

Well usually.

But besides that, just gives lots of facts and reliable sources.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 2:59:33 PM
At 5/1/2010 2:55:48 PM, Thinker0 wrote:
IRL...? What is that? A type of debate?

In real life.

The only real style is British Parliamentary Style, all others are vibrants of this form.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2010 3:28:14 PM
The biggest difference between a good debater/writer/communicator and a bad one is knowing which assumptions to make and which ones to not. All the other things are much more easily fixed in comparison.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 10:21:53 AM
Elaborate on facts and never write sh*t
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 10:34:05 AM
At 5/1/2010 3:28:14 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
The biggest difference between a good debater/writer/communicator and a bad one is knowing which assumptions to make and which ones to not. All the other things are much more easily fixed in comparison.

That is really good advice. Although not so easy to acquire as a skill.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:49:50 AM
At 5/2/2010 10:34:05 AM, innomen wrote:

That is really good advice. Although not so easy to acquire as a skill.

Nope. Which is why culture is the biggest thing.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:05:38 PM
At 5/2/2010 11:55:56 AM, innomen wrote:

Nope. Which is why culture is the biggest thing.

How so?

Maybe we mean different things by culture :P I thought I was just shortening my first post.

The biggest difference between a good debater/writer/communicator and a bad one is whether or not one knows the culture of the person(s) one is talking to. All the other things are much more easily fixed in comparison.

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 12:16:51 PM
At 5/1/2010 2:47:28 PM, Thinker0 wrote:
Can anyone help me out?

Friedman was PRO-Drug Legalization.

Thanks a million.

No problem.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light