Jump to topic:

Logical fallacies on DDO

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 1:09:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've noticed around some debates the term "logical fallacy" is used when there is a lack of understanding on what a fallacy is. A logical fallacy is more than just an error in reasoning, but a specific kind of error. Before you claim someone is making a logical fallacy, make sure that you are able to point out what kind of fallacy the person is making. Here are a few examples of real logical fallacies:

Genetic fallacy:

Example: "Christians believe in their God because they were indoctrinated by their parents."

Strawman fallacy:

Where you misrepresent someone's argument to make it easier to attack.

Bandwagon fallacy:

Arguing that because most people believe in X that we should reject Y.

Argument from ignorance:

Arguing that a claim is true because it hasn't been proven false.

Example - when asked to prove that God exists and you respond "prove to me that he doesn't exist."
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 4:54:32 PM
These fallacies are common to every situation. I'd also had ad populum and post hoc ergo propter hoc. I do disagree with your example on the genetic fallacy though. People tend to exhibit the same belief structures as society, and especially their parents. We only need to look as far as the "Christians" who don't know anything about the Bible.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 8:16:34 PM
At 11/21/2014 7:27:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
What exactly was the point of this thread?

https://www.youtube.com...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 10:38:55 AM
At 11/21/2014 7:27:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
What exactly was the point of this thread?

Basically to warn you against misuse of the term "fallacy." But i doubt pointing out fallacies would strengthen your position as your opponent may flat out deny it and claim you took what he/she said out of context.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 5:45:24 AM
Not all fallacies are immediately obvious and can be used to win arguments, otherwise unwinnable
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 2:40:36 PM
At 11/27/2014 5:45:24 AM, Wylted wrote:
Not all fallacies are immediately obvious and can be used to win arguments, otherwise unwinnable
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...