ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 7:09:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was intrigued by YYW's comment
"I don't run people off DDO, ... I can't. I don't have that kind of power."

To what extent to you agree or disagree that one cannot run another off the site?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 7:50:50 PM
Running members off is too strong a phrase. DDO is just a website. If someone no longer finds it appealing for some reason, including another member, they leave. No biggie.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 9:19:20 PM
At 11/22/2014 7:09:39 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

To what extent to you agree or disagree that one cannot run another off the site?

IMO even an admin or mod cannot run someone off a site because people can very easily just create a new account. The power only exists to the extent that the person being "run off" allows themselves to be emotionally manipulated into leaving. Not that I understand it, but generally people seem to get a strange kind of enjoyment out of these kinds of confrontations, eg the length of that thread. I don't think anyone is being run off so long as literal personal threats are out of the equation.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 10:37:34 PM

I suppose that people can be afraid by the hierarchy of the site. For example, it is nearly impossible for new users to debate the seasoned vets because most debates are set to be impossible to accept. Not that I don't agree with making debates impossible, as I do it all the time, but I suppose it can cause the Purple Circles to feel both intimidated and indignant.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 7:55:27 AM
It used to be necessary (relatively speaking) before there was serious moderation in place. No one single person could do it, it is true, but we had a pretty good team going for a while. And, when you couldn't just ban someone, you'd absolutely have to get personal. It wasn't the most scrupulous way of conducting business, but it was effective.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 12:12:41 PM
Yeah ^

There have been a few members who've been run-off the site before. It happens.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 12:23:28 PM
At 11/23/2014 12:12:41 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Yeah ^

What I was trying to get at is:

It's the person's decision to leave... not that they got run off...
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 12:30:54 PM
At 11/23/2014 12:23:28 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Yeah ^

It's most likely a mixture of both. They were more motivated to leave due to the efforts of the community to run them off, whereas if the community didn't attempt to run them off they'd not have as much of a reason to do so. Ultimately it was their decision to close the account like you said, but the community's role in it all should also be factored in.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 12:32:11 PM
At 11/23/2014 12:30:54 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Yeah ^

It's most likely a mixture of both. They were more motivated to leave due to the efforts of the community to run them off, whereas if the community didn't attempt to run them off they'd not have as much of a reason to do so. Ultimately it was their decision to close the account like you said, but the community's role in it all should also be factored in.

I suppose...
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 12:37:26 PM
At 11/23/2014 12:32:11 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 11/23/2014 12:30:54 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Yeah ^

I suppose...

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 12:58:28 PM
Nobody is run off, but some are often emotionally hurt to the point that they do not wish to stay here any longer. Years ago, there were a few members I will not name who were like that. Flame wars or other types of personal fights would easily drag them away. Even a moderator, however, cannot simply block the site for someone, for there are a plethora of ways that one can sneak around the shields.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 2:25:21 PM
At 11/23/2014 12:58:28 PM, Mirza wrote:
Nobody is run off, but some are often emotionally hurt to the point that they do not wish to stay here any longer.

Years ago, there were a few members I will not name who were like that.

Insert name where?

And Who's bob?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 2:38:17 PM
At 11/23/2014 2:25:21 PM, mortsdor wrote:
Nobody is run off, but some are often emotionally hurt to the point that they do not wish to stay here any longer.

Insert name where?

And Who's bob?

Why did you open up a new account?
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 2:42:00 PM
At 11/23/2014 2:38:17 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Why did you open up a new account?

initially just couldn't remember my password...
(and my email-address that they were going to email the new password to is an old school-email that I no longer have access to)

However, also I never asked to get it back b/c having my name as my account was probably a dumb Idea to begin with..

I'm good with using this one.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 3:06:06 PM
At 11/22/2014 10:37:34 PM, Atheist-Independent wrote:

I suppose that people can be afraid by the hierarchy of the site. For example, it is nearly impossible for new users to debate the seasoned vets because most debates are set to be impossible to accept. Not that I don't agree with making debates impossible, as I do it all the time, but I suppose it can cause the Purple Circles to feel both intimidated and indignant.

I For a mix of closed and open debates. If a new member wants me to make an exception for them all I ask is for them to explain why they can be a competent opponent I wish more would come out of their shells and make it a point to accept one of my closed debates.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 3:28:35 PM
There is always the perception that people have about certain things... sometimes that perception is correct... most of the time it's not. ADOL was banned. He should have been banned months before he was banned, but that's a moot issue now. I didn't run him off. He kept coming back, more acrid than ever, until he took an action that resulted in a permanent ban. I did not "run ADOL" off the site. Were he not banned, he would still be here.

The only people who ever actually ran people off of DDO were askbob, and Imabench. Askbob doxxed people, many of whom probably deserved it, but I'll reserve judgement on that since I wasn't a part of his decision making process. Imabench has only managed to run "some" trolls off the site, but they always came back.

I think there are ways that someone could "run someone off" of DDO... by doxxing them, for one, or by taking more extreme measures. I would never do that (because it's wrong), but I understand and can sympathize with the motive to doxx others when moderation was once absent. But, moderation is not absent now.

That said, within the scope of the TOS, neither I, nor anyone, has the power to run people off.
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 7:31:31 PM
At 11/23/2014 2:25:21 PM, mortsdor wrote:

Insert name where?

And Who's bob?
Precisely.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 7:47:27 PM
At 11/23/2014 3:28:35 PM, YYW wrote:
There is always the perception that people have about certain things... sometimes that perception is correct... most of the time it's not. ADOL was banned. He should have been banned months before he was banned, but that's a moot issue now. I didn't run him off. He kept coming back, more acrid than ever, until he took an action that resulted in a permanent ban. I did not "run ADOL" off the site. Were he not banned, he would still be here.

The only people who ever actually ran people off of DDO were askbob, and Imabench. Askbob doxxed people, many of whom probably deserved it, but I'll reserve judgement on that since I wasn't a part of his decision making process. Imabench has only managed to run "some" trolls off the site, but they always came back.

I think there are ways that someone could "run someone off" of DDO... by doxxing them, for one, or by taking more extreme measures. I would never do that (because it's wrong), but I understand and can sympathize with the motive to doxx others when moderation was once absent. But, moderation is not absent now.

Vigilantism was more fun.

That said, within the scope of the TOS, neither I, nor anyone, has the power to run people off.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 7:51:50 PM
At 11/23/2014 7:47:27 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Vigilantism was more fun.

We should talk about this via PM...

Tsar of DDO
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 8:39:15 PM

If I decide to be really mean, I can definitely run someone off the site.

...But I'll probably get banned before I can complete my missionary.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:28:27 PM

Bladerunner said ADOL was not banned, or at least not permabanned.

What is doxing?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 9:32:33 PM
Yeah ^

I disagree.
If the reason someone is here is "taken" from them, either in reality or in their mind, then they leave.
If no one will debate me, post on my threads, or ever respond to me, why should I stay? The silent treatment drove me away.

Now, if people are being mean towards each other, that is different, but one or two people do not run someone off a site, unless the person is very thin skinned.
And, if I post a thread, and you respond with anger (because we hate each other), and I let it go and ignore it, then a discussion can still be had, and, frankly, you will be seen as the jerk.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 10:53:45 PM
At 11/23/2014 9:32:33 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Now, if people are being mean towards each other, that is different, but one or two people do not run someone off a site, unless the person is very thin skinned.

I'm sorry...
but weren't you, at least Briefly, 'run off' the site by one Nymphomaniac?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:14:59 AM

ESocialBookworm : To what extent to you agree or disagree that one cannot run another off the site?

The Fool: Well there is running members off, as in is literally forcing members off, which of course no one has the power to do, and there is a more indirect way of an creating environment, which is hostile, or by virtue of rational argumentation, which people may flee from. The latter being fair and within the rules of debate website, where one should expect their ideas to be challenged.

I noticed that some people, are more interested in threads or discussions where people are generally going to agree with them. These people tend to create post and ask questions aimed simply to fish out agreement and consensus to their views, rather than a challenging opposition. If such people are met with too much opposition, they are likely to flee, either the thread, or the forum, or DDO altogether, perhaps to a a space where there either is no opposition, or they can silence the opposition.

However such people aren't necessarily a type to seek truth, and there are many other Social Media platforms for the them.

Against The Ideologist

I hear Tumbler is a good one.
<(XD)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 2:30:33 AM

It's entirely possible, but you have to be special.
askbob would claim, quite convincingly, that he ran a number of people off the site.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 7:24:58 AM
At 11/23/2014 10:53:45 PM, mortsdor wrote:

I'm sorry...

Not really.
I've been debating leaving the site for months now, as the forums aren't as good as they used to be, and mafia isn't as fun as it used to be (such inactivity).

I closed the account to avoid posting DP1 as scum in the games I was in, and to make a point.
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 8:04:58 AM
At 11/24/2014 7:24:58 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 11/23/2014 10:53:45 PM, mortsdor wrote:

I'm sorry...

Not really.
I've been debating leaving the site for months now, as the forums aren't as good as they used to be, and mafia isn't as fun as it used to be (such inactivity).

I closed the account to avoid posting DP1 as scum in the games I was in, and to make a point.
Debating whether or not to leave a debate site. Lol.
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 12:25:15 PM
YYW influences people through interaction but this is something we all do every time we interact with one another. A nice interaction will influence people to stick around and be friendly to you. A poor interaction could lead to the opposite.

YYW has no power to actually affect anyone's time at DDO other than whatever influence his interactions have on people and people can choose to allow such to bother them or not. He is not and cannot "run members off the site". That's absurd.