Jump to topic:

Psychopaths

DebaterforAtheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 8:23:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As I am a psychopath, I am curious to find out if there are any others in this site. If there are, and you feel comfortable stepping out of the shadows, please post about it in the forum. I am anxious to see the results.
"Power is my mistress. I have worked too hard at her conquest to allow anyone to take her away from me." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 1:13:55 AM
I would happily buy that you're a pathological Narcissist, but not an antisocial personality.

Narcissists, like their antisocial kin, are devoid, if not entirely, then almost entirely, of empathic ability, and instrumentalize their peers, without shame or remorse, for their own gratification. I would, if you caught me on the right day, be happy to accept that generic description of your personality.

The difference, though, is in what respect they instrumentalize and toward what purpose, and I think that distinction, based on the available evidence, is what might differentiate you from antisocial personalities. Not that psychologists are terribly good at drawing these lines.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 4:00:02 PM
Neither psychopaths nor sociopaths often admit they are such things. It's rare to come across a self-aware one. I have a few questions for you:

Why would you consider yourself a psychopath instead of a sociopath?

Did you ever kill small animals for pleasure or out of boredom as a child?

Do you feel that you are incapable of loving anything?

Do you have an above-average IQ?

Have you ever cried or felt sad/bad when at a family members funeral?

How would you feel about being a professional assassin?

Ever thought about joining the military so you can kill legally?

When did you first come to realize you were a psychopath?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 4:18:40 PM
At 11/28/2014 8:23:10 PM, DebaterforAtheism wrote:
As I am a psychopath, I am curious to find out if there are any others in this site. If there are, and you feel comfortable stepping out of the shadows, please post about it in the forum. I am anxious to see the results.

Troll.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 4:18:48 PM

kfc
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:03:38 PM

You may feel like or think you're a psychopath but you aren't. You should seek help from a psychologist and talk about your feelings. They can help you figure out why you feel this way.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:17:39 PM

I guess I could be classified as one since I enjoy killing/torturing insects and have intrusive thoughts they are disturbing.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:44:21 PM

I doubt you're a psychopath. For starters, you admitted it.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
DebaterforAtheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:49:22 PM
At 11/29/2014 4:00:02 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Neither psychopaths nor sociopaths often admit they are such things. It's rare to come across a self-aware one. I have a few questions for you:

1. I am a psychopath instead of a sociopath because I was born with these traits. A sociopath gets the traits from their environment, but a psychopath gets them from genetics.
2. My interest as a child was not in that kind of thing. The problem was that I never gained anything from doing that. I only did things if I could gain something from it, such as money.
3. I am only capable of loving those whom I am close to. I am married, and I have been for nine years. When it comes to complete strangers, however, I generally do not. My amygdala is not completely dysfunctional, as this proves, but it is mostly.
4. I have an IQ of 178.
5. I was not particularly happy, but I did not feel "sad" per se. I simply accepted it as a fact that I could not change. I thought it odd that some people cried, but I understood why they were doing it.
6. That kind of risk would not be enjoyable for me. I enjoy my home. I enjoy eating good food. Becoming a professional assassin could potentially take that away from me. If you are asking whether I would doing it knowing I would not get caught, then I truly do not know the answer. My feelings towards innocent people are very different than my opinions towards guilty people.
7. That thought has never crossed my mind. I also have no interest in dying.
8. I was about 14 or 15 years of age. I was watching a documentary about psychopathy and I realized I had many of the traits.
"Power is my mistress. I have worked too hard at her conquest to allow anyone to take her away from me." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:49:33 PM
At 11/29/2014 8:44:21 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

That and the fact he is anxious to reach out to other ones. Typically psychopaths try to avoid each other. Unfortunately they love similar occupations like police work and security, so often they do end up having to deal with each other.
DebaterforAtheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:51:36 PM

I only admitted it because my identity is anonymous. If it were not, this forum would not exist. I also never make claims like that without first being certain about what I am talking about.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:51:42 PM
At 11/29/2014 8:49:33 PM, Wylted wrote:

That and the fact he is anxious to reach out to other ones. Typically psychopaths try to avoid each other. Unfortunately they love similar occupations like police work and security, so often they do end up having to deal with each other.
Yeah... they're among the major problems the Police Force will need to correct.
TUF, and YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:54:39 PM
At 11/29/2014 8:49:22 PM, DebaterforAtheism wrote:

1. I am a psychopath instead of a sociopath because I was born with these traits. A sociopath gets the traits from their environment, but a psychopath gets them from genetics.

The terms are used interchangably by most. Even psychologists often use them interchangably.

2. My interest as a child was not in that kind of thing. The problem was that I never gained anything from doing that. I only did things if I could gain something from it, such as money.
3. I am only capable of loving those whom I am close to. I am married, and I have been for nine years. When it comes to complete strangers, however, I generally do not. My amygdala is not completely dysfunctional, as this proves, but it is mostly.

Psychopaths can't love even family members, they only attempt to replicate the actions of somebody who does.

4. I have an IQ of 178.

Doubtful

5. I was not particularly happy, but I did not feel "sad" per se. I simply accepted it as a fact that I could not change. I thought it odd that some people cried, but I understood why they were doing it.
6. That kind of risk would not be enjoyable for me. I enjoy my home. I enjoy eating good food. Becoming a professional assassin could potentially take that away from me. If you are asking whether I would doing it knowing I would not get caught, then I truly do not know the answer. My feelings towards innocent people are very different than my opinions towards guilty people.

Giving a crap about innocence or guilt means you're not a psychopath

8. I was about 14 or 15 years of age. I was watching a documentary about psychopathy and I realized I had many of the traits.

We all have some psychopathic tendencies.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:54:44 PM
At 11/29/2014 8:51:36 PM, DebaterforAtheism wrote:

I only admitted it because my identity is anonymous. If it were not, this forum would not exist. I also never make claims like that without first being certain about what I am talking about.
Just a heads up from experience. When you ask that on a public forum, you're often just going to get kids who think they're psychopaths. The best way to find people like you is via analyzing their activity. Speaking of which. You may enjoy the mafia games this site offers,
TUF, and YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:55:59 PM
At 11/29/2014 8:54:44 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 11/29/2014 8:51:36 PM, DebaterforAtheism wrote:

Just a heads up from experience. When you ask that on a public forum, you're often just going to get kids who think they're psychopaths. The best way to find people like you is via analyzing their activity. Speaking of which. You may enjoy the mafia games this site offers,

True, if he's a psychopath, he'll be a natural.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:00:33 PM
Psychopaths and sociopaths aren't that rare. I can actually point out a few people who I believe are on this forum, but those people typically won't admit they're psychopaths and the people I'm thinking of are bright but probably don't even realize they're psychopaths.

Of course with no real life interaction I can't know but these people are easy to spot for me because I've gotten close to a few and am still friends with one.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:02:58 PM
At 11/29/2014 9:00:33 PM, Wylted wrote:
Psychopaths and sociopaths aren't that rare. I can actually point out a few people who I believe are on this forum, but those people typically won't admit they're psychopaths and the people I'm thinking of are bright but probably don't even realize they're psychopaths.

Of course with no real life interaction I can't know but these people are easy to spot for me because I've gotten close to a few and am still friends with one.

Just encase I am one of those people. Never call me it. I hate being called crazy and stuff like that.
TUF, and YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:06:33 PM
At 11/29/2014 9:02:58 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Just encase I am one of those people. Never call me it. I hate being called crazy and stuff like that.

You could be, I don't know or even have a gut feeling. If I went on hunches I'd say no. It is about 5%-10% of the population though.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:19:23 PM
This is such a coincidence, I just finished watching Seven Psychopaths.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:30:21 PM
At 11/29/2014 8:49:22 PM, DebaterforAtheism wrote:

It seems more likely that you are a sociopath, if anything, based solely on the fact that you admit you feel differently towards innocent/guilty people. Psychopaths feel no remorse or empathy whatsoever. Also, while it might seem like you were born that way, you need to keep in mind that getting traits from the environment and birth are kind of hard to tell apart since we start comprehending our reality post-birth, not at the point of. Unless, of course, one or both of your parents or other close ancensters also share traits including a lack of remorse or empathy completely.

Mmm, seems more like a sociopathic thing. Psychopaths lack the proper neurological frameworks to develop a sense of ethics and morality. Sociopaths interact with their social worlds in a meaningful way, with. In your case, the meaningful way in which you interact with society was based on a "what can I gain from this thing or person." The fact that you are able to function normally in society, even if for more selfish reasons than most, means you aren't psychopathic.

Mmm, maybe you have some anti-social tendencies, but if you are saying you can love anything at all - much less be able to remain married for 9 years - I'm still thinking you're a sociopath more than a psychopath. Even then, I'm not sold on you being a sociopath either. At this point, it just seems like you have signs of anti-social personality traits and narcissism (interaction with others based on a system of 'gains'). Keep in mind though, just because you have those traits doesn't necessarily mean it's a sign of a more severe case like sociopathy or psychopathy, it probably just means you have some of the same traits as them while lacking others that they would necessarily have.

4. I have an IQ of 178.

Mk, the point of this question is because most sociopaths/psychopaths have a higher-than-average IQ. I applaud yours, but it doesn't really prove anything - it just shows that you share yet another trait with individuals who have been diagnosed as such. Most narcissists also tend to have high IQ's. So, we still can't rule out that possibility either.

Yeah, either narcissist or very mild sociopathy at worst. While I say this, we need to keep in mind that a lack of remorse or empathy doesn't necessarily mean sociopathy/psychopathy. Many individuals with high IQ's tend to reason their ways through the emotional process of mourning. It's common amongst most intelligent people unless they also have a high EQ. We also must factor in how close you were to that relative. For me, I never cried at my grandpa's funeral, and felt bad about not feeling bad (if that makes sense). So, even though it seemed like I was cold, or empathetic, I still felt remorse about my lack of initial remorse. I'll let the psychologists analyze that one.

That's what I mean though, it's hard to categorize these things because they really range from person to person.

Yeah, I touched on this earlier, but the fact that you can differ between the two means you aren't a psychopath. I have a weird empathy range myself where I absolutely adore anything that I deem innocent. Keyword: I. The very fact that I don't conform to general morality systems but have instead formed my own means something, but it doesn't necessarily mean I am a socio/psycho... I think the same applies to your situation as well.

Are you afraid of dying? Or suffer from death anxiety?

Yeah, many of the traits doesn't mean all of the traits though. I would say you seem more like a sociopath or narcissist with anti-social tendencies based on a system of selfish gains. It doesn't seem extreme enough to be considered sociopathy/psychopathy in the full sense of those terms, imo.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:30:52 PM
At 11/29/2014 9:19:23 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
This is such a coincidence, I just finished watching Seven Psychopaths.

Excellent film.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 7:59:50 AM

Lol, I guess I am one of them?
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:01:56 AM
Yeah, there is plenty of other psychopaths on this site. All you have to do is look around you. Hahaha!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:54:26 AM

My ears are ringing...
My work here is, finally, done.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:55:11 AM
At 11/30/2014 8:54:26 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

My ears are ringing...

Pffft, Sociopath wannabe.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:57:33 AM
At 11/30/2014 7:59:50 AM, Haroush wrote:

Lol, I guess I am one of them?

No, I wouldn't think so. I could be wrong.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:58:38 AM
At 11/30/2014 8:55:58 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 11/30/2014 8:55:11 AM, XLAV wrote:

Pffft, Sociopath wannabe.

Stalker!!

You could be but I buy your emotion as genuine and it doesn't seem that way to me.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2014 7:18:50 AM
Obviously you're not a psychopath. You've just diagnosed yourself, which indicates the symptoms must be clear and well defined enough to be able to be objectively scrutinized by the affected individual himself. However, if this is the case, then you must be suffering from an anti-social disorder spectrum, which you don't appear to suffer from. Given this, your self-diagnosis is likely to be inaccurate and you should see a psychologist to get a more accurate one. In fact, see me, once I've finished my own studies ;)
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...