Jump to topic:

Compromise on Mafia game list

Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:09:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
This might sound stupid, but consider it. Since everyone has different opinions on the list, have a formal debate on it. Offer a plan "We should have the list for 20+ people, and anything else is fine" or "To host a forum game you must be on the list". So, you have L vs. ____ and then the person who wins, people respect that and follow that plan. It would be a democracy, majority votes rule. Otherwise, we have people who will go behind the rules. This way it will be upfront and solid.

See: Vote Bombing

Also, have only people who are known members vote. And if you advertise enough, you get most members voting. If someone vote bombs whos not a member and they don't unvote, subtract there vote
Cody_Franklin- "You aren't the sharpest bulb in the box, are you?"

Strikeeagle84015- "Why would you want a sharp bulb?"

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:12:17 AM
Did you just set up a debate and say L was doing it.....

We have a list for forum games. Put your name on the list if you want to host a forum game. Period.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:12:18 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:11:33 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Seriously, people have been waiting on that list for months, and it's unfair to just go ahead and host a forum game on a whim, regardless of it's size.

I agree we need to speed that list up with 2 games at once, and I have absolutely no problems with PM, Facebook and DDOFans games running parallel, but what OreEle did was d*cky.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:13:41 AM
I'm on your side Vi and Panda. But if we don't fairly compromise people will still violate the list

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:15:19 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:12:17 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Since she's the leading advocate, thought she would like to represent her side.

We have a list for forum games. Put your name on the list if you want to host a forum game. Period.

But this list will never be truly followed if we don't make a compromise for everyone. It's not about who debate's better, its about finding a compromise. Let's say both plans suck. Throughout the rounds a plan will be formed

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:18:52 AM
I thank you for your attempts to mediate this issue Hurst, but I think it might be better, rather then a this way or that way, only 2 option debate. A discussion (either in PM or in forum) takes place to try to reach a compromise.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:19:10 AM
I-am-a-panda wrote: "I think the compromise is clear - PM games if you want to keep it on DDO, DDOFans if you want a forum, or Facebook."

Does everyone agree to this? If not, say so now

Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:20:55 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:18:52 AM, OreEle wrote:
I thank you for your attempts to mediate this issue Hurst, but I think it might be better, rather then a this way or that way, only 2 option debate. A discussion (either in PM or in forum) takes place to try to reach a compromise.

Okay, the only benefits of a debate would be the voting. We could actually see who wants what. Maybe we vote on this forum like in a mafia game? I'll keep track of the votes.

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:21:49 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:15:19 AM, Hurstman wrote:

Just put _____ vs ______. Don't propose people for positions without their approval.

But this list will never be truly followed if we don't make a compromise for everyone. It's not about who debate's better, its about finding a compromise. Let's say both plans suck. Throughout the rounds a plan will be formed

Let's say that both plans don't suck. We follow the list, just like everyone on the list (except for WJM) follows the list. What we need to talk about in the mafia organisation thread is if people want to run parallel games or if people want to make the games shorter etc

We don't need a debate on whether or not the list should exist.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:23:18 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:19:10 AM, Hurstman wrote:
I-am-a-panda wrote: "I think the compromise is clear - PM games if you want to keep it on DDO, DDOFans if you want a forum, or Facebook."

I disagree. That is only having a difference in the medium that the games take place, with no difference in the game itself. I believe that the list should be for a game or type of game, not just the medium that the game is in.

I'd rather see 1 big game going on with a few smaller games along side it, then have 1 big game on the forum, 2 big games in PMs, another big game on DDOfans, and another big game on facebook (though the facebook, I might support if the reasoning was for marketing and to revive that facebook page).
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:23:27 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:21:49 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Just put _____ vs ______. Don't propose people for positions without their approval.

So sorry for making a suggestion...

Let's say that both plans don't suck. We follow the list, just like everyone on the list (except for WJM) follows the list. What we need to talk about in the mafia organisation thread is if people want to run parallel games or if people want to make the games shorter etc

Okay, agreed. But that was a rough idea. The main benefit is the voting, to see what the majority wants

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:23:55 AM

Oh, look who's talking - the person who REALLY compromised the list. You couldn't even give us the respect of a "pm" game. You went straight to the forums.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:23:58 AM

It was already decided that PM games were perfectly okay.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:25:27 AM

He was just throwing out an idea. The main idea was to have an actual debate, the fine details of who does the debate or what the actual topic of the debate is not the point.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:26:07 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:23:55 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Oh, look who's talking - the person who REALLY compromised the list. You couldn't even give us the respect of a "pm" game. You went straight to the forums.

A small game along side a big game. That makes sense. That's why this is here. He wasn't disrespecting anyone since in his eyes, that was a better way to do it. That's why we are now trying to find what is best in the majority's eyes.

Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:27:12 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:25:27 AM, OreEle wrote:

He was just throwing out an idea. The main idea was to have an actual debate, the fine details of who does the debate or what the actual topic of the debate is not the point.

Thanks. But yeah maybe in the forums would be better. I just want a clear count of who wants what

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:27:24 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:23:18 AM, OreEle wrote:

I disagree. That is only having a difference in the medium that the games take place, with no difference in the game itself. I believe that the list should be for a game or type of game, not just the medium that the game is in.

I'd rather see 1 big game going on with a few smaller games along side it, then have 1 big game on the forum, 2 big games in PMs, another big game on DDOfans, and another big game on facebook (though the facebook, I might support if the reasoning was for marketing and to revive that facebook page).

No, the mediu is the key issue here. The forums are the best way to go about it, however, too many Mafia games cogs the forums and causes confusions. Different mediums are used to stop this.

The system isn't broke, don't try to fix it.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:27:55 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:26:07 AM, Hurstman wrote:

A small game along side a big game. That makes sense. That's why this is here. He wasn't disrespecting anyone since in his eyes, that was a better way to do it. That's why we are now trying to find what is best in the majority's eyes.

Then he should have proposed his idea to the community instead of just doing what his little heart desired. That's why it's disrespectful.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:29:04 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:27:55 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 5/15/2010 11:26:07 AM, Hurstman wrote:

Then he should have proposed his idea to the community instead of just doing what his little heart desired. That's why it's disrespectful.

True. But we all make mistakes, so to save us from future mistakes, work for a compromise now.

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:29:09 AM

Then he should have put his name on the other side to make it look like a real idea instead of making it look like L proposed to do a debate.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:30:18 AM

I went to the forums because other people who are not participating may want to read it.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:30:18 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:27:24 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/15/2010 11:23:18 AM, OreEle wrote:

No, the mediu is the key issue here. The forums are the best way to go about it, however, too many Mafia games cogs the forums and causes confusions. Different mediums are used to stop this.

Different mafia games would get confusing, but not if you had 1 main mafia and 2 smaller ones.

The system isn't broke, don't try to fix it.

Whether broken or not, it doesn't seem to be working. It might be the bast plan ever, but unless the majority likes it, it's screwed

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:30:50 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:29:04 AM, Hurstman wrote:

True. But we all make mistakes, so to save us from future mistakes, work for a compromise now.

Yeah... I'm doubting you're going to get too much Christian pity from anyone around here. He should move his game to PM immediately.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:31:39 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:30:18 AM, OreEle wrote:

I went to the forums because other people who are not participating may want to read it.

................... So? So you do something that disrespects the rules of the community's mafia games because you want spectators.... You'll get spectators when it's your turn.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:32:04 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:29:09 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Then he should have put his name on the other side to make it look like a real idea instead of making it look like L proposed to do a debate.

I apologize for using L as an example. I didn't want to put my name because 1) I'm not the leading advocate 2) She is a far better debater 3) That would look egotistical of me. But I shouldn't have used her as an example without her permission

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:32:22 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:30:18 AM, Hurstman wrote:

Whether broken or not, it doesn't seem to be working. It might be the bast plan ever, but unless the majority likes it, it's screwed

Who says it's not working? No one but you and OreEle have a problem with the list for forum games.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:33:39 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:31:39 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 5/15/2010 11:30:18 AM, OreEle wrote:

................... So? So you do something that disrespects the rules of the community's mafia games because you want spectators.... You'll get spectators when it's your turn.

Just going to throw out that America broke Britain's rules to become it's own nation. Sometimes the rules are at fault, and need to be broken. But yes, he should have voiced his opinion first. But that's history, right now we should decide what to do

Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:34:23 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:32:22 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Who says it's not working? No one but you and OreEle have a problem with the list for forum games.

I never had a big enough problem to voice it. I'm trying to compromise here.

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:35:22 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:34:23 AM, Hurstman wrote:
At 5/15/2010 11:32:22 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

I never had a big enough problem to voice it. I'm trying to compromise here.

So you're compromising between everyone vs OreEle?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2010 11:35:24 AM
At 5/15/2010 11:33:39 AM, Hurstman wrote:
Just going to throw out that America broke Britain's rules to become it's own nation. Sometimes the rules are at fault, and need to be broken. But yes, he should have voiced his opinion first. But that's history, right now we should decide what to do

.......This is a forum..........