Jump to topic:

Suggestions for Piano Playing?

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 8:22:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've been having trouble finding good technical exercises to practice on the piano every day. What I'm looking to improve in my piano playing is:

1. Playing arpeggios ... very fast
2. Being able to make frequent large jumps with the left hand over longer periods of time
3. Sight reading (that is, faster note recognition and being able to link it to piano keys at a faster rate)

I'm well aware that these require repetitive practice; however, I was hoping for general techniques or exercises that would generally improve my skill levels in these areas.

So if anyone has any videos, techniques, books, or personal experiences to recommend I would greatly appreciate it. Especially books, I'd like to get more piano books :)
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 8:30:53 PM
To be more specific for what I'm looking for, here is a video of a song that has some of the techniques I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com...

At about 0:37 the pianist makes several large jumps with his left hand. I'm already capable of playing that at a moderate speed, but I can't play it as well at higher speeds.

A few seconds later, around 0:44, the pianist plays a very fast arpeggio. Again, at moderate speeds I can play it, but at higher speeds I make frequent mistakes.

While I will continue practicing to be able to play the song at a higher speed, I'd also like to know some techniques, exercises, or books to help improve my overall performance in these areas.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 9:49:22 PM
I've been playing piano for eight years and I'm thirteen, and I know what you're talking about. Arpeggios can be a pain, but when I couldn't get the hang of some really weird keys (thanks for Gb Major Chopin -.-), here's what I do:

Slow Tempo

1. Emphasize the first note of each group
For instance, let's say there's a basic arpeggio in sixteenth notes in an entire measure. Each group would be four sixteenth notes, so you'd always put an accent on the first note and make it about twice as longer than the other notes. Once you can play it perfectly several times in a row, move on to the next step.

2. Emphasize the second note of each group
Same thing as step one, only with the second note. This should most likely be more difficult, but you should get the hang of it after a few tries at most. After that...

3. Emphasize the third note of each group
Same thing as step one, only with the third note. Also somewhat harder.

4. Emphasize the fourth note of each group
Same thing as step one as well, and probably easier than steps two and three.

5. Play in the same slow tempo
This time, play it in straight sixteenth notes (or quintuplets or whatever crazy things you need XD), but still at the slow tempo. Try playing faster and faster, then you can start playing at the normal tempo, albeit with some variations.

Normal tempo

6. Divide the passage into smaller segments
Now that you've finished with the previous (painful) process, you can play at a normal tempo, although not entirely normally yet.

Divide the passage into smaller groups. For instance, let's use the one measure, straight sixteenth note arpeggio once again. Begin playing the measure at a normal tempo, but then hold the note at the beginning of the third beat (halfway through the measure). Release, and continue from the second half of the passage. Continue playing like this until the end of the passage and you can play it perfectly multiple times.

Once you're done, make the segments twice as longer, so now play each half-measure segment joined together into full measure segments.

Keep doing that until you can play the passage in two halves, and then...

7. Play the passage normally
Finally, the torture is finished. Play the passage in normal speed and tempo, although you can go a little bit below performance tempo if you're not quite comfortable. Nevertheless, if you've followed the previous six steps properly, you should have developed the proper technique to play this passage. If you're still having some problems, play the passage slowly and pinpoint the problems you're still having, and repeat the corresponding step.

Hope this helped! :D

P.S. This is a method my teacher's thought me long ago, and I found it very helpful to play extremely annoying arpeggio passages such as the third movement of the Moonlight Sonata. In fact, this method can also be used for fast passages and not merely just arpeggios.

P.P.S. For specifically arpeggios in a rapid tempo, always make sure to keep your thumb to the right once you use it so you can quickly recover from each group of fingerings instead of repeated hesitations after each turn of your hand, if it makes sense. That's what I usually do.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 11:02:50 PM
At 12/8/2014 9:49:22 PM, RevNge wrote:
I've been playing piano for eight years and I'm thirteen, and I know what you're talking about. Arpeggios can be a pain, but when I couldn't get the hang of some really weird keys (thanks for Gb Major Chopin -.-), here's what I do:

Thanks for the instructions, I'll definitely try this method out, and I greatly appreciate your methods.

Also, do you use any particular books you use? Or maybe warm up exercises you play before playing the piano?

I'm honestly not sure what level I'm at right now, due to my erratic history in piano. I took a year of lessons in elementary school, and stopped because the teacher moved away. In middle school I started going on YouTube to look at piano tutorials on how to play things, which may have been a mistake. To this day, I don't know how it's affected my piano technique and if it's made it worse or not. Starting in 9th grade, I took piano lessons and stopped in junior year last year.

Now I'm kind of on my own again, but I keep feeling like I'm doing something wrong. Like my sight reading isn't up to par, or certain parts of my technique aren't quite right, or the fact that I haven't played as many classical pieces as most piano students seem to do, or maybe I just don't know all the technical terms. I think this is because I kind of "cheated" during piano lessons. I was able to recognize easy left hand patterns and so I didn't really look at the notes. I just memorized the patterns and played it, which was a big no no. Now I'm really regretting it.

That's why I want some more books to help on these fine matters.

Anyway, thanks again. It's much appreciated. I'll tell you how it goes in a while :)
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 2:58:14 AM
At 12/8/2014 8:22:10 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
I've been having trouble finding good technical exercises to practice on the piano every day. What I'm looking to improve in my piano playing is:

I don't know how good you are, so I'll assume that you can sight read the arrangements of Animenz, who just so happens to be one of my favourite Youtube pianists too <3
Etudes by Chopin are probably what are you looking for. If you want an example of this technique, google Grandes etudes de paganini, it's good fun.
2. Being able to make frequent large jumps with the left hand over longer periods of time
Franz Liszt.

3. Sight reading (that is, faster note recognition and being able to link it to piano keys at a faster rate)
A fast way to develop sight-reading is to use material that you aren't familiar with. Most people are good at diatonic music, so have some largely chromatic music: http://imslp.org...

I'm well aware that these require repetitive practice; however, I was hoping for general techniques or exercises that would generally improve my skill levels in these areas.

So if anyone has any videos, techniques, books, or personal experiences to recommend I would greatly appreciate it. Especially books, I'd like to get more piano books :)
I was taught by a very classical Russian teacher, who emphasized accuracy over everything else. Typical performance attitude. So I don't know if you'd particularly like any advice from my style, but when you play scales, alternate between different articulations in each hand. Eg, left hand plays staccato ascending, and right hand plays staccato descending. I've found it immensely useful. Especially for developing fine performance techniques, which you want if you ever do accompanying or playing with an orchestra.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 10:03:03 PM
At 12/9/2014 2:58:14 AM, Smithereens wrote:

I don't know how good you are, so I'll assume that you can sight read the arrangements of Animenz, who just so happens to be one of my favourite Youtube pianists too <3

He is also one of my favorites, with tehishter following close behind.

Sadly, you seem to have overestimated me. I'm not that good, and I find his pieces quite difficult, though I hope to be able to progress to a level where I don't find his pieces so hard. I'm not quite sure why I'm tackling them right now, but I love his music so much that I'm just driven to play it and I can't wait.

A piece more my level would be Jon Schmidt's All of Me (not John Legend, lol). I can't seem to find the sheet music online, though I have it printed it at my house ... so here's a link to the video.

I've played up until about 1:50 but haven't worked on the song lately. I'm not sure what grade this would be considered, though.

Etudes by Chopin are probably what are you looking for. If you want an example of this technique, google Grandes etudes de paganini, it's good fun.

Franz Liszt.

A fast way to develop sight-reading is to use material that you aren't familiar with. Most people are good at diatonic music, so have some largely chromatic music: http://imslp.org...

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions :)

But once again, it seems these pieces are way over my head. I'll have to start with something easier. Hopefully, in a few days, I'm going to look in a Music & Arts center near me and get some books on these topics to help me out.

I'm assuming you've played the piano for quite a while to be this good.

I was taught by a very classical Russian teacher, who emphasized accuracy over everything else. Typical performance attitude. So I don't know if you'd particularly like any advice from my style, but when you play scales, alternate between different articulations in each hand. Eg, left hand plays staccato ascending, and right hand plays staccato descending. I've found it immensely useful. Especially for developing fine performance techniques, which you want if you ever do accompanying or playing with an orchestra.

I'll try that technique out as well, thanks.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 8:53:41 AM
At 12/8/2014 8:30:53 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
To be more specific for what I'm looking for, here is a video of a song that has some of the techniques I'm looking for:

At about 0:37 the pianist makes several large jumps with his left hand. I'm already capable of playing that at a moderate speed, but I can't play it as well at higher speeds.

A few seconds later, around 0:44, the pianist plays a very fast arpeggio. Again, at moderate speeds I can play it, but at higher speeds I make frequent mistakes.

While I will continue practicing to be able to play the song at a higher speed, I'd also like to know some techniques, exercises, or books to help improve my overall performance in these areas.

I don't think there are any exercises that can help you improve faster than just practicing the song. I'd say keep practicing that part of the song. Piano takes a lot of practice.

I encountered the same problems as you when I was 12 years old. I really wanted to play this song:

He starts doing the jumps with his hands at 0:29, and I could do this very easily, but then at 0:36, the song became faster and more complex and I couldn't do the hand jumps without making mistakes.

I had to practice that part for a month before I could get it perfectly. I got so used to the song, I could play that part with my eyes closed. Although I was focusing and practicing on just one specific song, it actually significantly improved my speed and precision in other songs as well.

So just keep practicing the song and you'll get it down!

As I grew older, I actually found this song much easier and I could play it 2 times faster than in the video. I guess this is because my hands grew bigger too. Big hands really help with piano :P
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 7:23:30 PM
At 12/11/2014 8:53:41 AM, Defro wrote:

I don't think there are any exercises that can help you improve faster than just practicing the song. I'd say keep practicing that part of the song. Piano takes a lot of practice.

I encountered the same problems as you when I was 12 years old. I really wanted to play this song:

He starts doing the jumps with his hands at 0:29, and I could do this very easily, but then at 0:36, the song became faster and more complex and I couldn't do the hand jumps without making mistakes.

I had to practice that part for a month before I could get it perfectly. I got so used to the song, I could play that part with my eyes closed. Although I was focusing and practicing on just one specific song, it actually significantly improved my speed and precision in other songs as well.

So just keep practicing the song and you'll get it down!

As I grew older, I actually found this song much easier and I could play it 2 times faster than in the video. I guess this is because my hands grew bigger too. Big hands really help with piano :P

Hey, I like that song, I think I'll try it out sometime soon :)

And I know what you mean about practicing. I've played some songs so many times that I'm pretty much capable of thinking about other things while playing the song on the piano. I've played it so many times, in fact, that it's practically become habitual and I feel like I need to do it.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 1:02:07 AM
At 12/11/2014 7:28:30 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

By the way, where is that song from?

It's from a Taiwanese movie called "Secret".
Pretty much everyone who plays piano in Taiwan can play this.
You should watch it. They have the whole movie on Youtube in English subtitles. I think it's a great movie.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 7:10:47 PM
At 12/12/2014 1:02:07 AM, Defro wrote:

You should watch it. They have the whole movie on Youtube in English subtitles. I think it's a great movie.

Yeah, I suddenly realized what it was from after looking at the title.

I've seen that piano battle scene many times before, but I have yet to watch the actual movie.

Which reminds me, I should also watch Legend of 1900.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:36:02 PM
At 12/12/2014 1:02:07 AM, Defro wrote:

Dear God, I love that scene.

I know the first song (Chopin etude no. 5), but I thought it was a lot faster than how they played it...then again, I can't play it in G major. XD
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 10:58:08 PM

So, I decided to start playing the song about 2 days ago, and I've only covered the first page (just as the hand starts hitting the faster sixteenth notes). Granted, I haven't practiced too much, though I find the song enjoyable to play.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:17:30 PM
By the way, if any of you are interested in competing against a noob 13 year old pianist: http://www.debate.org...

I'd love to see the Time Travel theme being played if you guys can learn it in under a week. :D
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:32:20 PM

I fell in love with this song, by the way.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:35:08 PM
At 12/17/2014 11:17:30 PM, RevNge wrote:
By the way, if any of you are interested in competing against a noob 13 year old pianist: http://www.debate.org...

I'd love to see the Time Travel theme being played if you guys can learn it in under a week. :D

Considering my erratic practicing times (e.g. whenever I feel like it) I could learn it in either a week or a month lol

But considering your experience, you're probably better than me on the piano. You aren't a noob for sure based on what you've told me.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:37:18 PM
At 12/17/2014 11:32:20 PM, RevNge wrote:

Same. If I had to rank his songs, this one would be in the top 5.

I just really enjoy the way his left hand runs up and down the piano while his right hand plays the melody. And he does it so fast, too.

Apparently, it took him 4 hours of practicing to get the left hand down for the video.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:39:12 PM
At 12/17/2014 11:35:08 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 12/17/2014 11:17:30 PM, RevNge wrote:

Considering my erratic practicing times (e.g. whenever I feel like it) I could learn it in either a week or a month lol

O.o Seriously? The whole thing in a week? That's pretty good, IMO. XD
But considering your experience, you're probably better than me on the piano. You aren't a noob for sure based on what you've told me.

Nah, the best songs I know are Beethoven sonatas/concertos, Chopin, and Prokofiev. I can't play Rachmaninoff yet because I can't do tenth interval chords. XD
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 11:39:55 PM
At 12/17/2014 11:37:18 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

I just really enjoy the way his left hand runs up and down the piano while his right hand plays the melody. And he does it so fast, too.

Apparently, it took him 4 hours of practicing to get the left hand down for the video.

Just four hours. Dayum.

I'm going to practice the crap out of this tomorrow afternoon and see how it works out. XD

Are you learning it?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 1:27:15 AM
At 12/8/2014 8:22:10 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
Ask NiamC
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 12:33:32 PM

Dammit, I can play the first page (with a few mistakes) but I can't do the wide arpeggio either because my hands are undersized. What fingerings do you use? XD
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 6:55:07 PM
At 12/17/2014 11:39:12 PM, RevNge wrote:

Oh no no, I mean if I sit down and play for several hours a day (e.g. 4 hours per day) I could get the song. But I'm pretty sure if most pianists did that amount of practice then they'd get it down, too. So I'm not sure why I even mentioned that ...

The maximum I usually do per day is 1-2 hours. The average is closer to an hour or 30 minutes.

Yeah, I'm not getting the song in a week with just an hour of practice per day, I should have clarified XD

Nah, the best songs I know are Beethoven sonatas/concertos, Chopin, and Prokofiev. I can't play Rachmaninoff yet because I can't do tenth interval chords. XD

Wow, I've never even played those. I usually just come across random songs and play the ones I like.

I guess I better practice classical more to sound fancy like you do :)
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 6:56:30 PM
At 12/17/2014 11:39:55 PM, RevNge wrote:

Just four hours. Dayum.

I'm going to practice the crap out of this tomorrow afternoon and see how it works out. XD

Are you learning it?

Yeah

I'm finally getting the hand of the arpeggios that he has in there. I'm almost done with the first page, lol.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 7:02:15 PM
At 12/18/2014 12:33:32 PM, RevNge wrote:

Dammit, I can play the first page (with a few mistakes) but I can't do the wide arpeggio either because my hands are undersized. What fingerings do you use? XD

Wow, really? It took me way longer to get the entire first page down compared to you. Well, the first half of it was pretty okay. The second half was difficult because of the large jumps in the left hand, I keep making mistakes on that. For some reason, I have this problem where I just keep playing the parts I know once I get a certain amount of the song down, and I don't progress for a while. It's a bad habit that slows my learning.

For fingering, starting with B:

I use 1, 2, 4, 1, 2, 3, 5. I've tried subtle nuances like tensing my hands up trying to hit each note precisely and making them really loose when playing the arpeggio. It's somewhat helped, I think.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 8:00:00 PM
At 12/18/2014 6:55:07 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 12/17/2014 11:39:12 PM, RevNge wrote:

Oh no no, I mean if I sit down and play for several hours a day (e.g. 4 hours per day) I could get the song. But I'm pretty sure if most pianists did that amount of practice then they'd get it down, too. So I'm not sure why I even mentioned that ...

The maximum I usually do per day is 1-2 hours. The average is closer to an hour or 30 minutes.

Yeah, I'm not getting the song in a week with just an hour of practice per day, I should have clarified XD

Same. School interferes a lot. >.>

On the bright side, I practiced about three hours today. XD

Wow, I've never even played those. I usually just come across random songs and play the ones I like.

I guess I better practice classical more to sound fancy like you do :)

Classical pieces develop more technique and require more interpretation. IMO, they're the most difficult (or second most difficult) genre/period of music, although Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff is equally challenging, if not more. >.>
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 8:00:46 PM
At 12/18/2014 6:56:30 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 12/17/2014 11:39:55 PM, RevNge wrote:

Just four hours. Dayum.

Are you learning it?

Yeah

I'm finally getting the hand of the arpeggios that he has in there. I'm almost done with the first page, lol.

I love the main theme in E minor.

The problem is in playing it. LOL
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 8:03:41 PM
At 12/18/2014 7:02:15 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Wow, really? It took me way longer to get the entire first page down compared to you. Well, the first half of it was pretty okay. The second half was difficult because of the large jumps in the left hand, I keep making mistakes on that. For some reason, I have this problem where I just keep playing the parts I know once I get a certain amount of the song down, and I don't progress for a while. It's a bad habit that slows my learning.

Yeah, I know that part. Chord changes are a pain. Did you try taking a longer break between the jumps and preparing for the next chord (if you know what I mean >.<) before playing it normally?

I use 1, 2, 4, 1, 2, 3, 5. I've tried subtle nuances like tensing my hands up trying to hit each note precisely and making them really loose when playing the arpeggio. It's somewhat helped, I think.

There's no way I can get my hand to stretch that far and accurately in that fast of a tempo without more practicing. T^T

I've tried that fingering, and 1, 3, 1, 3, 1, 3, 5 for fun. Surprisingly the latter worked.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 8:15:28 PM
At 12/18/2014 8:03:41 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 12/18/2014 7:02:15 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Yeah, I know that part. Chord changes are a pain. Did you try taking a longer break between the jumps and preparing for the next chord (if you know what I mean >.<) before playing it normally?

Yeah, maybe I haven't done it enough. I'll keep working on it :)

There's no way I can get my hand to stretch that far and accurately in that fast of a tempo without more practicing. T^T

I've tried that fingering, and 1, 3, 1, 3, 1, 3, 5 for fun. Surprisingly the latter worked.

Yeah since you can't stretch your hands that far 1 3 1 3 would work better because then you're essentially just jumping with your fingers. But if you can at least spread your hands from 1 2 4 (which is basically an octave, I can't really remember), then I suggest 1 2 4, since the only other times you really stretch your hands is when you pull your thumb over.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 8:17:47 PM
At 12/18/2014 8:00:00 PM, RevNge wrote:

Classical pieces develop more technique and require more interpretation. IMO, they're the most difficult (or second most difficult) genre/period of music, although Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff is equally challenging, if not more. >.>

I agree. Although I haven't done many classical pieces, I have done a few or at least pieces with classical incorporated in them, so I understand what you mean at least a little.

Let me guess ... the most difficult would be jazz?

Anyway, any suggestions for classical pieces to start off with? I'll tell you if they're way over my head or if I can try them out.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 9:01:56 PM
At 12/18/2014 8:17:47 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 12/18/2014 8:00:00 PM, RevNge wrote:

I agree. Although I haven't done many classical pieces, I have done a few or at least pieces with classical incorporated in them, so I understand what you mean at least a little.

Let me guess ... the most difficult would be jazz?

Nah. Gershwin's pretty difficult, but his preludes/concertos aren't quite at the level of the classics, albeit much more syncopation is used.

It depends on your preferences, really, but for me, the most difficult genre would most likely be contemporary.
Anyway, any suggestions for classical pieces to start off with? I'll tell you if they're way over my head or if I can try them out.

I'd recommend some Chopin etudes like Smithereens had suggested. No.5 "Black Keys" is a fun one, especially if you can play it at this speed: (https://www.youtube.com...) Although it took me a month or two to get even close to that tempo. >.>

Sonatas are fun to work with as well. I suggest Beethoven has the best out of the classics, and Prokofiev out of the contemporary era.