KRFOURNIER's Mafia - Day Phase 1

KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 4:16:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Introduction

Welcome to Day Phase 1 of the KRFOURNIER's Mafia Game. As stated in the sign-up thread, we started the game with a night phase. The results of the night phase are revealed below. First, here are the rules.

Rules

1. All votes must be in bold to be counted. You have three options: vote <name>, unvote, or no lynch. Vote <name> is a vote to lynch said player. Unvote removes an active vote <name> or no lynch vote. No lynch is a vote to end the day without lynching.

2. A greater than 50% unanimity must be reached during a day phase in order to carry out a lynch or no lynch. They day phase officially ends when I declare it as such. I will declare the end of a day phase as soon as I am online and able to confirm a majority vote. So, for example, if a majority vote is reached during the day, but someone retracts their vote before I declare the day's end, then the day continues.

3. Players must not discuss the game outside of the day phase threads and private PMs I have started. I will be included in all PMs between privileged parties. If you, as a player, are invited to a PM under the pretense that it is "official," confirm that I am on the list of recipients. If not, report those players immediately. The penalty for violating this rule is immediate mod killing.

4. Dead players are not permitted to participate in the game, including both private PMs and the day phase treads. I will let uninformative comments slide such as, "Avenge me, townies!" However, if you reveal information that gives a demonstrable edge to either side, I will punish the party to which you were affiliated. For instance, if you were mafia, were killed, and said something too revealing from your grave, then the mafia will lose their next night phase. The same goes for townies.

5. No copying and pasting from private PMs between you and me.

6. Be courteous to your fellow players. This game loses fun if you are inconsiderate to others, whether by direct abuse or simply by not showing up. This game is most fun when players… well… play. If you have to be gone for a day or two, let your fellow players know.

7. You may communicate with me directly via the PMs I started with you when you were first invited. Also, please use these for your night phase actions so I don't have to keep track of brand new PM threads all the time.

8. Some of you have roles in this game. There are no rules against revealing these roles. Choosing when and how to reveal your role (or pretend to reveal your role) is part of the strategy of this game.

9. There is no theme or stories. Sorry, but I don't have the time, talent, or desire. As a result, this game will focus squarely on gleaning information from night phase events and player interaction.

10. To avoid this game going on for months, there will be phase limits. Each day phase has a 5 day limit. Each night phase has a 2 day limit. Day phases that reach the limit end in a no lynch. Night phases that reach the limit will cause actions not submitted to be forfeit. These limits are flexible and can be changed pending special circumstances.

11. All roles have are listed below. This changes gameplay strategy when compared to most mafia games on this site. Knowing the roles helps the town better strategize their night actions. However, the mafia gain an advantage in that they can attempt to cast doubt on the town by cross-claiming roles. Anyone who's played on epicmafia.com knows what I'm talking about.

12. The townies win when all mafia are eliminated. The mafia wins as soon as they meet or beat the townies in number.

13. A player must post at least once on the current day phase in order to count towards the majority vote needed. For example, if 9 out of 11 players post at least once, then the total number of players is 9 and the majority needed is 5 votes instead of 6. The final count is not conducted until the day phase expires.

Factions

There are 24 players in this game. 8 of those players are mafia, the rest are townies. There are no third parties such as cult, jester, etc. In each faction, half of the members have roles and the other half are "vanilla."

Mafia Roles

GodFather - The Godfather appears innocent to the cop. In some games, the Godfather is replaced by another mafia member if killed. Not in this game. Once the Godfather is dead, there is no Godfather role in the game.

Framer - The framer chooses one person each night to frame. If that person is investigated by the cop, he/she will appear guilty.

Prostitute - The prostitute chooses one person each night whose role to block. The person role blocked will be told they were role blocked, but will not be told the identity of the prostitute.

Janitor - The janitor cleans up a crime scene. As a result, the town is told who died that night but not their role. This role can only be used once in the entire game.

Town Roles

Cop - The cop chooses one person to investigate each night. He/she will be told whether or not that person is innocent (a townie) or guilty (a mafia).

Doctor - The doctor chooses one person to protect each night from murder. That person cannot be killed under any circumstances.

Tracker - The tracker chooses one person each night to follow. He/she will be told who that person visited.

Watcher - The watcher chooses one person each night to watch. He/she will be told who visited that person.

Vigilante - The vigilante chooses one person each night to kill. If he/she targets the same person as the mafia, then he/she dies. After all, the mafia wouldn't pass up the opportunity to kill two townies in the same location.

Politician - The politician chooses one person each night whose vote to manipulate the following day. For that day phase, the target's vote cannot be changed.

Mason - The mason chooses one person each night to recruit in the masons. There is only one mason to start the game. As the group grows in number, they must vote to recruit another member. Recruitment succeeds if the target is a townie. If the target is mafia, then the entire mason team dies. This may seem to be a harsh penalty, but it prevents the masons from sacrificing players to learn a target's alignment.

Bulletproof - The bulletproof townie survives one and only one murder attempt. He/she will be told the identity of their attacker, but not their alignment. Thus, it could be mafia or the vigilante.

Final Notes

When the mafia chooses to kill a player at night, I randomly select the actual killer. That is the player that will show up in the investigations.

I will be camping from Friday, May 21 at 5pm (PST) until Sunday, May 23 in the afternoon. Keep track of vote counts if you wish, but the day phase will not end until I return and take an official count.

Alive

1. theLwerd
2. Vi_Veri
3. JBlake
4. DontBeRacist
6. Hurstman
7. Ournamestoolong
8. Ibap
9. Rezzealaux
10. mongoose
11. alex_hanson911
12. studentathletechristian8
13. xxdarkxx
14. mongeese
15. wjmelements
16. oceanix
17. Koopin
18. OreEle
19. Korashk
20. Clockwork
21. BellumQuodPacis
22. Zetsubou
23. Lukas
24. feverish

Deceased

1. Puck - Townie - Killed on Night Phase 1 by the mafia.
oceanix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 4:32:41 PM
Posting here so as not to appear inactive or lurking. I have a piano recital then three hours of play rehearsal, so I won't be on till probably tomorrow.
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 4:35:37 PM
Observations thus far: This will be a classic game. A VERY classic game. There will be no story to dissect, no roles to play.

Also, tthe vote on Vi seems strange.
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 5:30:35 PM
Wow, this is pretty inactive for a big game. The last one had a few hundred by this time.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 5:50:39 PM
Didn't the rules say no 3rd party players?

"There are 24 players in this game. 8 of those players are mafia, the rest are townies. There are no third parties such as cult, jester, etc. In each faction, half of the members have roles and the other half are "vanilla.""

But then if you read lower down you see....

"Mason - The mason chooses one person each night to recruit in the masons. There is only one mason to start the game. As the group grows in number, they must vote to recruit another member. Recruitment succeeds if the target is a townie. If the target is mafia, then the entire mason team dies. This may seem to be a harsh penalty, but it prevents the masons from sacrificing players to learn a target's alignment."

If the rules say that one is either town or mafia, but then says that if they recruit mafia they die. If they recruit mafia that's good. So clearly the masons are a separate group. So isn't that 3rd party? Not that it's a big deal, just pointing out.
Cody_Franklin- "You aren't the sharpest bulb in the box, are you?"

Strikeeagle84015- "Why would you want a sharp bulb?"

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
Clockwork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 6:03:48 PM
At 5/21/2010 5:50:39 PM, Hurstman wrote:

"There are 24 players in this game. 8 of those players are mafia, the rest are townies. There are no third parties such as cult, jester, etc. In each faction, half of the members have roles and the other half are "vanilla.""

"Mason - The mason chooses one person each night to recruit in the masons. There is only one mason to start the game. As the group grows in number, they must vote to recruit another member. Recruitment succeeds if the target is a townie. If the target is mafia, then the entire mason team dies. This may seem to be a harsh penalty, but it prevents the masons from sacrificing players to learn a target's alignment."

If the rules say that one is either town or mafia, but then says that if they recruit mafia they die. If they recruit mafia that's good. So clearly the masons are a separate group. So isn't that 3rd party? Not that it's a big deal, just pointing out.

No. The only purpose of the masons is that all members know that everyone else in the group is a confirmed townie.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 6:09:21 PM
At 5/21/2010 6:03:48 PM, Clockwork wrote:
At 5/21/2010 5:50:39 PM, Hurstman wrote:

No. The only purpose of the masons is that all members know that everyone else in the group is a confirmed townie.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 8:46:00 PM
um.... lol. i know i am not playing, and i apologize for interrupting.... but this is frickin sad!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 8:59:24 PM
Hey, first time I get a chance to do anything today.

Given that the politician, who can't be mafia, chose Vi to target, lets pressure her. Its not like the politician would fool us like a mafia would.

LYNCH VI
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:00:00 PM
I would like to point out how curious it is that theLwerd managed to live past Night Phase 1... Usually, the Mafia kills her first thing...
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:10:18 PM
I forgot that we lost one on the first night. The count is now fixed:

VOTE COUNT

Vi Veri: (Lwerd, mongoose) -- 2/12 votes required to lynch

Koopin: (JBlake) -- 1/12 votes required to lynch
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:10:52 PM
At 5/21/2010 9:06:20 PM, JBlake wrote:
Random number generator says 17. Koopin. Screenshot:
http://www.debate.org...

Vote to Lynch Koopin

I think the politician already "rolled the dice," given that he/she can't possibly be mafia. She also already has a bonus vote.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:11:10 PM
At 5/21/2010 9:00:00 PM, mongeese wrote:
I would like to point out how curious it is that theLwerd managed to live past Night Phase 1... Usually, the Mafia kills her first thing...

Puck is usually targeted early on in the game as well. I don't find this to be that suspicious just yet.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:13:30 PM
Yes we know that the politician is innocent. No we do not know why the politician selected Vi Veri. It is obviously not due to any action that has caused suspicion...

Vi is a good player who, if innocent, it would be better for us to not out her role or lynch her. Unless the random number generator lands on her, of course.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:13:44 PM
At 5/21/2010 9:11:10 PM, JBlake wrote:
At 5/21/2010 9:00:00 PM, mongeese wrote:

Puck is usually targeted early on in the game as well. I don't find this to be that suspicious just yet.

Okay, then.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:18:11 PM
At 5/21/2010 9:13:30 PM, JBlake wrote:
Yes we know that the politician is innocent. No we do not know why the politician selected Vi Veri. It is obviously not due to any action that has caused suspicion...

Vi is a good player who, if innocent, it would be better for us to not out her role or lynch her. Unless the random number generator lands on her, of course.

Actually, both Vi and theLwerd are the most likely mafiosos, because we know that neither of them are the politician. Anybody else would have, say, a 7/24 chance of being Mafia, while they have a 7/23 chance of being Mafia. Factor in that you know that you aren't Mafia (if you aren't Mafia), and you get 7/23 vs. 7/22.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:24:19 PM
At 5/21/2010 9:18:11 PM, mongeese wrote:

Actually, both Vi and theLwerd are the most likely mafiosos, because we know that neither of them are the politician. Anybody else would have, say, a 7/24 chance of being Mafia, while they have a 7/23 chance of being Mafia. Factor in that you know that you aren't Mafia (if you aren't Mafia), and you get 7/23 vs. 7/22.

Oh, we do?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:33:56 PM
I'm sure it will pick up, we just need to get things going.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
oceanix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:40:55 PM
At 5/21/2010 8:59:24 PM, mongoose wrote:
Hey, first time I get a chance to do anything today.

Given that the politician, who can't be mafia, chose Vi to target, lets pressure her. Its not like the politician would fool us like a mafia would.

LYNCH VI

LYNCH MONGOOSE

Because that's a terrible argument. The politician has no knowledge of players' alignment. Thus, his guess is as good as ours. Mongoose is essentially bandwagoning.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 9:41:17 PM
I seriously doubt that the politician had any more thought to his decision other than making L vote for V because it would be funny, giving their relationship. I don't think that should be considered relevant to anything thus far. Puck dying doesn't give much either, he's a good player, smart mafia would want him dead. I wouldn't mind voting for koopin given the random number, but I figure he might actually play, so i'm thinking vote someone who is likely to be inactive?
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 10:25:06 PM
We have this debate every time. :)

RLing someone inactive will not likely teach us anything. Additionally, the inactive players essentially act as place holders for good payers that are usually killed early in the game.

Random number generator says Koopin.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2010 10:26:44 PM
At 5/21/2010 10:25:06 PM, JBlake wrote:
We have this debate every time. :)

RLing someone inactive will not likely teach us anything. Additionally, the inactive players essentially act as place holders for good payers that are usually killed early in the game.

Random number generator says Koopin.

Lol yes you had this debate last mafia game. So let's try the RL. VOTE KOOPIN

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 12:06:27 AM
At 5/21/2010 9:18:11 PM, mongeese wrote:

............. The same thing can be said about you.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.