Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Compatability

feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 4:17:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This could have gone in the Society or Science forums but I decided to put it here.

I've recently (like last week) started seeing this woman and while talking round at hers the other night I made some passing comment about chimpanzees being humankind's closest relatives. The conversation from there went something like this:

Her: Yeah... so they say.
Me: (puzzled expression)
Her: Oh do you believe in all that then?
Me: Um... yeah. Don't you believe in evolution?
Her: Well yeah, things change and develop but that doesn't mean we're descended from monkeys.
Me: Um well it's not so much that we're descended directly from them as it is that we share a common ancestor.
Her: (sceptical expression)
Me: You're not religous though are you?
Her: No
Me: Don't you think it's kind of obvious when you look at them?
Her: No, they look nothing like us.
Me: But you can see that they're more like us than say, a bird or a lizard is?
Her: Not really. They're animals, we're people. How are they like us?
Me: Um... well their bone structure, their posture, their brain, their behaviour... they've got like, really similar genes and stuff, it's kind of been proven.
Her: Believe everything you read do you?
Me: No but... never mind. Come here.

This was all a bit of a shock to me especially as the girl I just split up with before was a Biology graduate and staunch evolutionist who also shared most of my political views (I'm dreading discussing politics with this one now).

It's not that this new girl is dumb, she's just completely un-intellectual.

So basically I've got two questions:

1) Does anyone else know anyone who is non religous but rejects the theory of evolution?

2) How much does it matter that you agree on this kind of stuff with whoever you're sharing your time and/or bed with?
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 4:21:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Depends. How hot is she? Are you looking for some bangin' or for something more?

I don't think it's necessarily important that you agree—however, you have to have some respect for her ability to think (which you probably won't have unless you agree on big issues such as evolution or whatever's going on here).
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 4:30:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/23/2010 4:21:07 PM, LeafRod wrote:
Depends. How hot is she? Are you looking for some bangin' or for something more?

Not that hot . Body is maybe 8.5, face is a 7. For a less subjective opinion ask Lukas, although I don't think he's seen her for a while. I've had some of that off her already and I don't really know what I'm looking for lol.

I guess I'm asking these questions more in a general sense than specific to me.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 4:51:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/23/2010 4:48:05 PM, feverish wrote:
Tim Minchin is the don. Musical, lyrical and comedic genius. If only he made hip hop.

Check out his new Pope inspired song. ;)
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 4:54:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/23/2010 4:17:51 PM, feverish wrote:


1) Does anyone else know anyone who is non religous but rejects the theory of evolution?

2) How much does it matter that you agree on this kind of stuff with whoever you're sharing your time and/or bed with?

I'd like to give a little piece of advice.

1) Honestly, no. I think most logical people realize that evolution is a highly plausible theory.

2) Depends on what you want. It's not necessarily the agreement that is most important, but let me clarify. If she's illogical in her conclusions, then that's a complete turn-off for me. If you find someone who happens to disagree with you on various issues but uses reason to support her beliefs, then I would look forward to learning from her stand on the issues. If you just want to hit it and split it, I'd just focus on the attractiveness of her body. A lot of dumb girls seem to know a thing or two when they're in bed, so ..... Personally, I find intellectual and mature women quite more sexually arousing compared to younger and "dumber" women, but that's up for you to decide.
Lukas
Posts: 110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 4:55:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Sorry for the sket comment, couldn't resist it! Yeah she not a bad looker really.

Its hard to say really mate, I mean I'm pretty sure she is a decent enough lass. When I've met her she has always been fairly pleasant, aside from that shizzle with my wife but that was aleks fault really. The whole intellectual issue is another thing though, personally I would find it hard to be with someone who couldn't grasp evolution or at least saw at as theory and not a fact. Before you say it, I know I've had my fair share of less than genius type girls but that was when I was younger and quite frankly off my head. Now that I'm 30, I find that intellectual capacity is a big part of my relationship, not in an elitist way but it just makes things run alot smoother and keeps me engaged.
I wouldn't want to put you off though mate because I think you could do with a lass like her right now and your charming enough to educate her subtlety on this, I'm sure. Really its judgment call on your part. Weirdly though, I have the feelin that you two seem kind of right for each other.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 5:04:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/23/2010 4:17:51 PM, feverish wrote:
2) How much does it matter that you agree on this kind of stuff with whoever you're sharing your time and/or bed with?

I'm not sure it's so important that you agree so long as you can respect her opinion even if you don't. Before being with Vi I never dated any intellectual types and I always felt like something was missing -- or rather that I was just incredibly superior to them -- which made it hard to really open up and connect, or respect them on all levels. Considering you frequent DDO, I'd say that you have a good deal of interest in academically related issues meaning it's probably important that someone share this interest. Not only is it good conversation, but it's another way to get to know a person (understand them, their beliefs, etc.). Even when Vi and I disagree I still value her opinion above most others and highly respect her intelligence (which actually turns me on lol...). I never used to consider it a big deal, but now after being with someone who actually knows what I'm talking about (and cares), I don't think I could ever seriously commit to a non-intellectual again. Well not in terms of a long-term relationship anyway lol.
President of DDO
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 5:07:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/23/2010 5:04:23 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 5/23/2010 4:17:51 PM, feverish wrote:
2) How much does it matter that you agree on this kind of stuff with whoever you're sharing your time and/or bed with?

I'm not sure it's so important that you agree so long as you can respect her opinion even if you don't. Before being with Vi I never dated any intellectual types and I always felt like something was missing -- or rather that I was just incredibly superior to them -- which made it hard to really open up and connect, or respect them on all levels. Considering you frequent DDO, I'd say that you have a good deal of interest in academically related issues meaning it's probably important that someone share this interest. Not only is it good conversation, but it's another way to get to know a person (understand them, their beliefs, etc.). Even when Vi and I disagree I still value her opinion above most others and highly respect her intelligence (which actually turns me on lol...). I never used to consider it a big deal, but now after being with someone who actually knows what I'm talking about (and cares), I don't think I could ever seriously commit to a non-intellectual again. Well not in terms of a long-term relationship anyway lol.

Agreed. The intellectual mind is definitely one of the most attractive things in a partner. :)
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 5:20:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/23/2010 5:07:10 PM, Puck wrote:
At 5/23/2010 5:04:23 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 5/23/2010 4:17:51 PM, feverish wrote:
2) How much does it matter that you agree on this kind of stuff with whoever you're sharing your time and/or bed with?

I'm not sure it's so important that you agree so long as you can respect her opinion even if you don't. Before being with Vi I never dated any intellectual types and I always felt like something was missing -- or rather that I was just incredibly superior to them -- which made it hard to really open up and connect, or respect them on all levels. Considering you frequent DDO, I'd say that you have a good deal of interest in academically related issues meaning it's probably important that someone share this interest. Not only is it good conversation, but it's another way to get to know a person (understand them, their beliefs, etc.). Even when Vi and I disagree I still value her opinion above most others and highly respect her intelligence (which actually turns me on lol...). I never used to consider it a big deal, but now after being with someone who actually knows what I'm talking about (and cares), I don't think I could ever seriously commit to a non-intellectual again. Well not in terms of a long-term relationship anyway lol.

Agreed. The intellectual mind is definitely one of the most attractive things in a partner. :)

Yep. Essentially, I said that in a prior post on this thread.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 5:25:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Another turn on of mine is passion. A girl has to be passionate about something (almost anything) - something that makes them feel alive. An open-mind is also a good quality lol but now we're getting off topic.
President of DDO
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 7:26:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/23/2010 4:17:51 PM, feverish wrote:
1) Does anyone else know anyone who is non religous but rejects the theory of evolution?

Yes. I know about 5 hardcore atheist/agnostics who reject evolution.

2) How much does it matter that you agree on this kind of stuff with whoever you're sharing your time and/or bed with?

It isn't so much that we agree but if my partner can hold her own. I realize that's an incredibly amibguous answer , though. I take it on a case by case basis.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:44:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/23/2010 7:26:00 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Yes. I know about 5 hardcore atheist/agnostics who reject evolution.

What kind of reasons, logic or alternative explanations do they offer?
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 6:13:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The thing is (and I know this is stereotypical), women - even intelligent women - are not generally interested in science.

I saw two experts - a man and a woman - being interviewed on BBC News over the weekend on the subject of pregnancy and childbirth, etc.

I wasn't really listening but when the man said "All we have to go on is the science" the woman snapped "No it's isn't, we can go on opinions - women prefer to go on opinions".

Ask theLwerd - she is undeniably intelligent but she admits going to see fortune tellers. How do square that circle? You don't, is the answer, she's a woman - sometimes you simply can't figure them out.

Maybe we should just accept that women are different from men intellectually as well as physically and leave it at that?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 7:24:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
There's non-intellectual and then there's just plain...well not so smart. I've been with a non-intellectual for 7 years and he's managed to teach me more about what is important in life than almost anyone else. He never went to college but lived through things that i can only imagine. He speaks five languages but couldn't analyze a sentence. He's genuinely a good person who i respect and enjoy being with more than anyone else in the world...but...there are times that i crave a discussion that is a bit beyond his interest, and i have friends for that. He and i couldn't be more different from each other, and i love him more than i love my own life.

Oh, and he's really hot with a body you would see in a magazine, and 13 years younger than i.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 11:43:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 6:13:06 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The thing is (and I know this is stereotypical), women - even intelligent women - are not generally interested in science.

Like all stereotypes, this does not apply to everyone. I think the 3 most active females on this site prove this wrong anyhow (myself, Vi and belle). Even so, numerous studies show that the media, society and perhaps saddest of all the education system itself discourages women from pursuing science despite having equal intelligence and capacity for understanding as men. Don't take my word for it -- there are a bunch of sources...

http://sciencewomen.com...

I saw two experts - a man and a woman - being interviewed on BBC News over the weekend on the subject of pregnancy and childbirth, etc. I wasn't really listening but when the man said "All we have to go on is the science" the woman snapped "No it's isn't, we can go on opinions - women prefer to go on opinions".

So you're allowing one woman's stupidity to speak for a whole gender? Haha what god-awful reasoning. I hope the stupidity of this mistake doesn't prove that all men have no capacity for logic ;)

Ask theLwerd - she is undeniably intelligent but she admits going to see fortune tellers. How do square that circle? You don't, is the answer, she's a woman - sometimes you simply can't figure them out.

It's easy to figure out when women spell things out for you (like we always have to do :p ). Nowhere did I say that I believed in the validity of fortune tellers lol what I did say was that I've been to one for fun and my own entertainment and amusement. Of course it's not legit but neither is a stripper's attraction to you and yet that doesn't stop men from frequenting strip joints, does it?

Maybe we should just accept that women are different from men intellectually as well as physically and leave it at that?

Physical differences allow for mental ones (i.e. brain structure, strengths, weaknesses, etc.) but enforcing or encouraging stereotypes isn't really helpful. Most of the time men and women are both capable of the same mental feats.
President of DDO
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 11:49:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 11:43:38 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Ask theLwerd - she is undeniably intelligent but she admits going to see fortune tellers. How do square that circle? You don't, is the answer, she's a woman - sometimes you simply can't figure them out.

It's easy to figure out when women spell things out for you (like we always have to do :p ). Nowhere did I say that I believed in the validity of fortune tellers lol what I did say was that I've been to one for fun and my own entertainment and amusement. Of course it's not legit but neither is a stripper's attraction to you and yet that doesn't stop men from frequenting strip joints, does it?

Whoops! I was rather banking on you not reading that post as I was aware that my reference was somewhat disingenuous. Sorry!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 11:54:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 11:43:38 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 5/24/2010 6:13:06 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The thing is (and I know this is stereotypical), women - even intelligent women - are not generally interested in science.

Like all stereotypes, this does not apply to everyone. I think the 3 most active females on this site prove this wrong anyhow (myself, Vi and belle). Even so, numerous studies show that the media, society and perhaps saddest of all the education system itself discourages women from pursuing science despite having equal intelligence and capacity for understanding as men. Don't take my word for it -- there are a bunch of sources...

yeah, but you gals are all exceptions in another noted way too!

lol

but, of course, I'm sure even given "completely straight" women there are prolly plenty of exceptions.

but... there's definitely general differences...

whether they're socially or physically rooted would be a rather tough thing to discern though.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 11:55:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 7:24:22 AM, innomen wrote:
He's genuinely a good person who i respect and enjoy being with more than anyone else in the world...but...there are times that i crave a discussion that is a bit beyond his interest, and i have friends for that. He and i couldn't be more different from each other, and i love him more than i love my own life.

I agree with all of this -- there is definitely such thing as "street smarts" and "book smarts." Admittedly my gf has more of the latter, but I like to think that I have enough of the former to make up for it :p

Oh, and he's really hot with a body you would see in a magazine, and 13 years younger than i.

Haha I'm glad for you. My gf fits my ideal physical mold as well... We're lucky :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 12:06:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 11:54:19 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
yeah, but you gals are all exceptions in another noted way too!

lol

but... there's definitely general differences... whether they're socially or physically rooted would be a rather tough thing to discern though.

Both, but more so socially for sure.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 11:47:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 11:43:38 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 5/24/2010 6:13:06 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The thing is (and I know this is stereotypical), women - even intelligent women - are not generally interested in science.


lol Where are you getting this? I know far too many women who are interested in science for this to be even close to debatable.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2010 3:03:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If a person is not particularly academic or intellectual then it is likely they have either not considerd or are very hazy on such concepts as evolution.

It also be that she was insecure, and felt embarrased at her lack of knowledge or felt you were talking down to her. At the risk of sounding sexist I'd suggest that women are generally more sensitive to the implication, even if accidental, that they are being foolish. Men have to accept being belitled by other men and women, women are not so used to it.

But in case it does not matter at all, my girlfriend is absolutely disinterested in most subjects I find vital, but we work.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2010 3:30:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 6:13:06 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The thing is (and I know this is stereotypical), women - even intelligent women - are not generally interested in science.

As I said in the first post, the girl I was seeing up until like two weeks ago was a biology graduate and actually taught Science in Italy, so I'm not so sure about this. It was a big surprise to me to be with a reasonably intelligent 30 year old woman who is so uninterested in such a basic thing.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2010 8:29:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't know any nonreligious people personally who fit that description--

but for some odd reason Ayn Rand was skeptical.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2010 4:40:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:44:13 AM, feverish wrote:
At 5/23/2010 7:26:00 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Yes. I know about 5 hardcore atheist/agnostics who reject evolution.

What kind of reasons, logic or alternative explanations do they offer?

Not really sure as I generally don't talk about evolution with them. They are philosophy students and those types tend to have all manner of esoteric ideas...

One of them gave me a book to read but I'm forgetting the name and the author - it's by (I think) an atheist scientist and philosopher critiquing the mechanism for evolution....

Another of them also mentioned Raymond Tallis in passing:

http://www.philosophypress.co.uk...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!