Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Liquorice is stupid

tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:09:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Things that taste bad are gross.
2. Foods that are gross should not be eaten.
3. Foods that should not be eaten are stupid.
4. Liquorice tastes bad.
5. Therefore, liquorice is stupid.

Who dares dispute the truth of this argument?
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
sadolite
Posts: 10,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 4:18:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/16/2014 9:09:39 AM, tabularasa wrote:
1. Things that taste bad are gross.
2. Foods that are gross should not be eaten.
3. Foods that should not be eaten are stupid.
4. Liquorice tastes bad.
5. Therefore, liquorice is stupid.

Who dares dispute the truth of this argument?

It's not an argument, it a personal rant about how you don't like the taste of liquorice. Hundreds of millions of other people, if not billions do. You are probably in the minority.
Beware of the people who are in your circle but are not in your corner.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 5:15:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There are not billions who like black liquorice. This food is more like punishment than candy. I would be surprised if more than 1/10 like the taste of liquorice.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
sadolite
Posts: 10,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 6:12:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2014 5:15:02 PM, tabularasa wrote:
There are not billions who like black liquorice. This food is more like punishment than candy. I would be surprised if more than 1/10 like the taste of liquorice.

"There are not billions who like black liquorice." Speculation based on your bias of the dislike for liquorice. You must prove your arguments. The BOP is all on you. You must prove my speculations are wrong. I am un biased. I think white rice tastes like crap, but billions like it. I'll eat it if I have to, to be polite. I would never choose to eat it.
Beware of the people who are in your circle but are not in your corner.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:09:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2014 6:12:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/17/2014 5:15:02 PM, tabularasa wrote:
There are not billions who like black liquorice. This food is more like punishment than candy. I would be surprised if more than 1/10 like the taste of liquorice.

"There are not billions who like black liquorice." Speculation based on your bias of the dislike for liquorice. You must prove your arguments. The BOP is all on you. You must prove my speculations are wrong. I am un biased. I think white rice tastes like crap, but billions like it. I'll eat it if I have to, to be polite. I would never choose to eat it.

I think you win this one. (Haha)
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Bennett91
Posts: 7,154
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:30:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As a logical proof your conclusion stems from your premises. But that does not necessarily make your argument valid, for the premises must be true as well. Let's examine:

At 12/16/2014 9:09:39 AM, tabularasa wrote:
1. Things that taste bad are gross.

Ok you've defined gross, so far so good. However bad taste is subjective.

2. Foods that are gross should not be eaten.

This is the first stumble. If this were true all of Britain would starve.

3. Foods that should not be eaten are stupid.

Food does not have intelligence. Also bad tasting food is regularly eaten for the purpose of nutrition.

4. Liquorice tastes bad.

Opinion.

5. Therefore, liquorice is stupid.

Conclusion does not stem from accurate evaluation of premises

Who dares dispute the truth of this argument?

Done.
"The annoying kid has a point. Let's revolt in this bitch!" - The Boondocks

The Prophet Sanders preaching the Word [https://www.youtube.com...]

Mingo fails the Turing Test: [http://www.debate.org...]
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 8:01:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
As a logical proof your conclusion stems from your premises. But that does not necessarily make your argument valid, for the premises must be true as well. Let's examine:

At 12/16/2014 9:09:39 AM, tabularasa wrote:
1. Things that taste bad are gross.

Ok you've defined gross, so far so good. However bad taste is subjective.

2. Foods that are gross should not be eaten.

This is the first stumble. If this were true all of Britain would starve.

3. Foods that should not be eaten are stupid.

Food does not have intelligence. Also bad tasting food is regularly eaten for the purpose of nutrition.

4. Liquorice tastes bad.

Opinion.

5. Therefore, liquorice is stupid.

Conclusion does not stem from accurate evaluation of premises

Who dares dispute the truth of this argument?

Done.

Touche
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
imabench
Posts: 21,944
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 11:39:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/16/2014 9:09:39 AM, tabularasa wrote:
1. Things that taste bad are gross.

Accepted

2. Foods that are gross should not be eaten.*

*Unless they are good for your health. Black liquorice probably isnt healthy though, so continue

3. Foods that should not be eaten are stupid.*

Well Pizza probably isnt good for you but I think we can all agree that Pizza is definitely NOT stupid

4. Liquorice* tastes bad.

BLACK liquorice tastes bad, I like the red kind though

5. Therefore, liquorice* is stupid.

BLACK liquorice is stupid. Maybe

Who dares dispute the truth of this argument?

im at 50/50
DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015

Internet Missing Person Alert: Angsty teen with daddy issues who is a failed horse rapist and also may be a cross-dresser. If spotted, please contact your local animal control or whatever disease-control organization is close by so they may return the species back to its garbage container habitat.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:04:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/16/2014 9:09:39 AM, tabularasa wrote:
1. Things that taste bad are gross.
2. Foods that are gross should not be eaten.
3. Foods that should not be eaten are stupid.
4. Liquorice tastes bad.
5. Therefore, liquorice is stupid.

Who dares dispute the truth of this argument?

Perhaps the flavor would improve if licorice were better educated.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:04:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/21/2014 12:04:58 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 12/16/2014 9:09:39 AM, tabularasa wrote:
1. Things that taste bad are gross.
2. Foods that are gross should not be eaten.
3. Foods that should not be eaten are stupid.
4. Liquorice tastes bad.
5. Therefore, liquorice is stupid.

Who dares dispute the truth of this argument?

Perhaps the flavor would improve if licorice were better educated.

Stupid: should not be done, made, created.

Example: Diving into an empty pool is stupid. (Should not be done).
Power balance bracelets are stupid. (They are useless. No one should produce or buy them.)
My torts exam is stupid. (The exam is very intelligent; it is stupid because I don't want to take it and it is hard.)
Bow ties are stupid. (I don't think they look good.)

The argument is actually a subjective expression of taste. Other posters have correctly noted this. The argument is valid logically and true from my point of view. It is valid logically and untrue from the point of view of someone who likes liquorice. It seems to make a statement about ultimate truth, but of course does not actually do so.

I agree that strawberry liquorice is pretty okay. The black liquorice is repugnant to my taste. The less any liquorice tastes like black liquorice, the less repugnant it is to my taste.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.