Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Hooray!

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:02:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I completely forgot; yesterday marks my one year anniversary of not being Christian! HIP-HIP-HOORAY! *throws confetti* *noise maker* *gun shots* *victory screech*

I'd give party favors but seeing as you're not physically here, you'll have to settle with being happy for me. =)
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:06:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
We should be happy that you have lost your imaginary friend and emotional security blanket?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:12:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:06:32 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
We should be happy that you have lost your imaginary friend and emotional security blanket?

You say you fear death. How do you cope with this? Do you have an emotional security blanket for this?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:14:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:12:12 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:06:32 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
We should be happy that you have lost your imaginary friend and emotional security blanket?

You say you fear death. How do you cope with this? Do you have an emotional security blanket for this?

Yes, I don't really cope with this. I maintain a tenous hope in a spiritual dimension but it's not really a belief.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:19:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:14:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:12:12 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You say you fear death. How do you cope with this? Do you have an emotional security blanket for this?

Yes, I don't really cope with this. I maintain a tenous hope in a spiritual dimension but it's not really a belief.

Really? I bet the majority of Theists are the same, but interpret their hope as belief.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:21:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:19:29 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:14:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:12:12 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You say you fear death. How do you cope with this? Do you have an emotional security blanket for this?

Yes, I don't really cope with this. I maintain a tenous hope in a spiritual dimension but it's not really a belief.

Really? I bet the majority of Theists are the same, but interpret their hope as belief.

Well I see that as a mistake.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:26:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:24:24 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Congrats? Maybe when the time comes, just for kicks, I'll make a thread announcing my one year anniversary of being muslim. xD

I thought you were a Bahai!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:29:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:26:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:24:24 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Congrats? Maybe when the time comes, just for kicks, I'll make a thread announcing my one year anniversary of being muslim. xD

I thought you were a Bahai!

Nope. I changed my mind, realizing I still believed in Islamic teachings.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:02:03 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I completely forgot; yesterday marks my one year anniversary of not being Christian! HIP-HIP-HOORAY! *throws confetti* *noise maker* *gun shots* *victory screech*

I'd give party favors but seeing as you're not physically here, you'll have to settle with being happy for me. =)

Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:30:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:29:29 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:26:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:24:24 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Congrats? Maybe when the time comes, just for kicks, I'll make a thread announcing my one year anniversary of being muslim. xD

I thought you were a Bahai!

Nope. I changed my mind, realizing I still believed in Islamic teachings.

Double yay, Insert is back in the religion that teaches adulterers should be beheaded!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:32:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:30:31 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:29 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:26:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:24:24 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Congrats? Maybe when the time comes, just for kicks, I'll make a thread announcing my one year anniversary of being muslim. xD

I thought you were a Bahai!

Nope. I changed my mind, realizing I still believed in Islamic teachings.

Double yay, Insert is back in the religion that teaches adulterers should be beheaded!

Yay! What? I think we need to form a social committee to properly decide what events are worthy of celebration!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:33:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:32:22 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
What? I think we need to form a social committee to properly decide what events are worthy of celebration!

Hahah!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:34:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:30:31 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:29 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:26:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:24:24 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Congrats? Maybe when the time comes, just for kicks, I'll make a thread announcing my one year anniversary of being muslim. xD

I thought you were a Bahai!

Nope. I changed my mind, realizing I still believed in Islamic teachings.

Double yay, Insert is back in the religion that teaches adulterers should be beheaded!

Behead those who insult Islam. :)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:36:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

I am generally of that opinion.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:42:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:36:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

I am generally of that opinion.

I know you held that position, but Kinesis too?

Atheism is Liberation from a celestial dictator!! You no longer have to suffer an eternal existence worshiping! And you live to know that the Universe was grand enough to design beautiful existence on its own and doesn't ask you to worship it!

This is not depressing, this is great news!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

Note the qualifier 'ultimately'. I think we can all find a limited meaning to our existence, but it's all ultimately pointless.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:42:44 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:36:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

I am generally of that opinion.

I know you held that position, but Kinesis too?

Atheism is Liberation from a celestial dictator!! You no longer have to suffer an eternal existence worshiping! And you live to know that the Universe was grand enough to design beautiful existence on its own and doesn't ask you to worship it!

This is not depressing, this is great news!

You are making an assumption on the nature of God, I as an Atheist do not believe in God and are therefore unable to assign him negative qualities and rejoice at being liberated from him. I can celebrate my 'freedom' from the negative aspects of religion but that's it.

The Judaeo-Christian God may be a celestial dictator, but he is one of many Gods floated on the religious market. If he existed the very fact of his existence, the ramifications of that renders many negative comments about him moot.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:52:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

Note the qualifier 'ultimately'. I think we can all find a limited meaning to our existence, but it's all ultimately pointless.

I'll still probably freeze myself when I'm older, in the hope that they find a way to download consciousnesses into computers at some point in the future. But natural afterlife's will necessarily be finite.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 2:55:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:52:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

Note the qualifier 'ultimately'. I think we can all find a limited meaning to our existence, but it's all ultimately pointless.

I'll still probably freeze myself when I'm older,

I've been tempted to do that. However no one knows how to unfreeze the brain without turning it to mush.

in the hope that they find a way to download consciousnesses into computers at some point in the future. But natural afterlife's will necessarily be finite.

A download would be a copy, the copy would not be you, and would it even be self-aware?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:01:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are making an assumption on the nature of God, I as an Atheist do not believe in God and are therefore unable to assign him negative qualities and rejoice at being liberated from him. I can celebrate my 'freedom' from the negative aspects of religion but that's it.

No assumptions at all about his nature.

God: the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe - http://dictionary.reference.com...

He's an authority by default. That's not a claim about his nature, but a claim about his definition.

The Judaeo-Christian God may be a celestial dictator, but he is one of many Gods floated on the religious market. If he existed the very fact of his existence, the ramifications of that renders many negative comments about him moot.

It matters not which specific God. If you notice, I didn't particularly pick on Yahweh, though he's an easy target. I also target the Deist God as well.

"Either God can exist or freedom. Both cannot exist together." - Osho

"Is it possible to live life without God? It is ONLY possible to live life without God." - Osho
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:02:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 2:55:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:52:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

Note the qualifier 'ultimately'. I think we can all find a limited meaning to our existence, but it's all ultimately pointless.

I'll still probably freeze myself when I'm older,

I've been tempted to do that. However no one knows how to unfreeze the brain without turning it to mush.


Yup. Cryogenics is pretty risky at the moment - you have to hope they find a way to unfreeze you in the future, otherwise you've shaved precious years off your life for nothing.

in the hope that they find a way to download consciousnesses into computers at some point in the future. But natural afterlife's will necessarily be finite.

A download would be a copy, the copy would not be you, and would it even be self-aware?

Oh, it was just random speculation. I read something by Richard Carrier lately that suggested it was possible, but I'm aware he's hardly an expert on the matter.

However - why wouldn't an exact copy of my concious mind be me?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:04:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:01:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are making an assumption on the nature of God, I as an Atheist do not believe in God and are therefore unable to assign him negative qualities and rejoice at being liberated from him. I can celebrate my 'freedom' from the negative aspects of religion but that's it.

No assumptions at all about his nature.

God: the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe - http://dictionary.reference.com...

He's an authority by default. That's not a claim about his nature, but a claim about his definition.

Authority, even ultimate power does not fully equate to being a dictator. And again you are working from a traditional monotheistic position.


The Judaeo-Christian God may be a celestial dictator, but he is one of many Gods floated on the religious market. If he existed the very fact of his existence, the ramifications of that renders many negative comments about him moot.

It matters not which specific God. If you notice, I didn't particularly pick on Yahweh, though he's an easy target. I also target the Deist God as well.

Actually which God is pretty relevant!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:09:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:04:15 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:01:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
No assumptions at all about his nature.

God: the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe - http://dictionary.reference.com...

He's an authority by default. That's not a claim about his nature, but a claim about his definition.

Authority, even ultimate power does not fully equate to being a dictator. And again you are working from a traditional monotheistic position.

Authority = power over me = restricted freedom.

There's no escaping this.

It matters not which specific God. If you notice, I didn't particularly pick on Yahweh, though he's an easy target. I also target the Deist God as well.

Actually which God is pretty relevant!

To an extent. Obviously the genocidal Yahweh is more unpleasant than the Deist God, but even his existence makes him a tyrant.

God is a self-appointed ruler of the Universe. I did not grant him this power. I did not agree to the laws he put down!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:10:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:02:53 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:55:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:52:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

Note the qualifier 'ultimately'. I think we can all find a limited meaning to our existence, but it's all ultimately pointless.

I'll still probably freeze myself when I'm older,

I've been tempted to do that. However no one knows how to unfreeze the brain without turning it to mush.


Yup. Cryogenics is pretty risky at the moment - you have to hope they find a way to unfreeze you in the future, otherwise you've shaved precious years off your life for nothing.

Generally people get frozen after death!


in the hope that they find a way to download consciousnesses into computers at some point in the future. But natural afterlife's will necessarily be finite.

A download would be a copy, the copy would not be you, and would it even be self-aware?

Oh, it was just random speculation. I read something by Richard Carrier lately that suggested it was possible, but I'm aware he's hardly an expert on the matter.

However - why wouldn't an exact copy of my concious mind be me?

An exact copy of you would not be you, it would be another 'you'.

Lets say you were copied right now onto a computer.
You, would still be there in your human body, the new you would be on the computer. Same memories, same personality (depending on how the computer functions, would it still have the same emotional responses). But two different entities. Maybe a better way would be to slowly expand, and replace your human brain with computer components, it's still debatable if it would still be you when the process was complete... it's a bit of an existentialist headache!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:12:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:09:32 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:04:15 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:01:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
No assumptions at all about his nature.

God: the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe - http://dictionary.reference.com...

He's an authority by default. That's not a claim about his nature, but a claim about his definition.

Authority, even ultimate power does not fully equate to being a dictator. And again you are working from a traditional monotheistic position.

Authority = power over me = restricted freedom.

There's no escaping this.

Only if it's exercised. The guy next door has the power to break in and kill you he can choose not to do so.


It matters not which specific God. If you notice, I didn't particularly pick on Yahweh, though he's an easy target. I also target the Deist God as well.

Actually which God is pretty relevant!

To an extent. Obviously the genocidal Yahweh is more unpleasant than the Deist God, but even his existence makes him a tyrant.

God is a self-appointed ruler of the Universe. I did not grant him this power. I did not agree to the laws he put down!

Yes, but if he offers you eternal life in paradise... feh!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:24:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:10:35 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:02:53 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:55:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:52:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

Note the qualifier 'ultimately'. I think we can all find a limited meaning to our existence, but it's all ultimately pointless.

I'll still probably freeze myself when I'm older,

I've been tempted to do that. However no one knows how to unfreeze the brain without turning it to mush.


Yup. Cryogenics is pretty risky at the moment - you have to hope they find a way to unfreeze you in the future, otherwise you've shaved precious years off your life for nothing.

Generally people get frozen after death!


Really? That's a relief then.


in the hope that they find a way to download consciousnesses into computers at some point in the future. But natural afterlife's will necessarily be finite.

A download would be a copy, the copy would not be you, and would it even be self-aware?

Oh, it was just random speculation. I read something by Richard Carrier lately that suggested it was possible, but I'm aware he's hardly an expert on the matter.

However - why wouldn't an exact copy of my concious mind be me?

An exact copy of you would not be you, it would be another 'you'.

Lets say you were copied right now onto a computer.
You, would still be there in your human body, the new you would be on the computer. Same memories, same personality (depending on how the computer functions, would it still have the same emotional responses). But two different entities. Maybe a better way would be to slowly expand, and replace your human brain with computer components, it's still debatable if it would still be you when the process was complete... it's a bit of an existentialist headache!

Yikes. My brain's just overloaded slightly.

I assume the question 'would I be there in the computer or would it be someone else?' basically isn't going to get answered then?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:29:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:24:16 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:10:35 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:02:53 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:55:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:52:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

Note the qualifier 'ultimately'. I think we can all find a limited meaning to our existence, but it's all ultimately pointless.

I'll still probably freeze myself when I'm older,

I've been tempted to do that. However no one knows how to unfreeze the brain without turning it to mush.


Yup. Cryogenics is pretty risky at the moment - you have to hope they find a way to unfreeze you in the future, otherwise you've shaved precious years off your life for nothing.

Generally people get frozen after death!


Really? That's a relief then.


in the hope that they find a way to download consciousnesses into computers at some point in the future. But natural afterlife's will necessarily be finite.

A download would be a copy, the copy would not be you, and would it even be self-aware?

Oh, it was just random speculation. I read something by Richard Carrier lately that suggested it was possible, but I'm aware he's hardly an expert on the matter.

However - why wouldn't an exact copy of my concious mind be me?

An exact copy of you would not be you, it would be another 'you'.

Lets say you were copied right now onto a computer.
You, would still be there in your human body, the new you would be on the computer. Same memories, same personality (depending on how the computer functions, would it still have the same emotional responses). But two different entities. Maybe a better way would be to slowly expand, and replace your human brain with computer components, it's still debatable if it would still be you when the process was complete... it's a bit of an existentialist headache!

Yikes. My brain's just overloaded slightly.

I assume the question 'would I be there in the computer or would it be someone else?' basically isn't going to get answered then?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 5:21:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:29:51 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:24:16 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:10:35 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:02:53 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:55:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:52:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:49:48 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:33:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 2:29:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yay, all life is ultimately meaningless. Welcome to the group of depressed realists. :)

Do you truly maintain that believing in religious "reality" is happier and more meaningful? Or is this sarcasm?

Note the qualifier 'ultimately'. I think we can all find a limited meaning to our existence, but it's all ultimately pointless.

I'll still probably freeze myself when I'm older,

I've been tempted to do that. However no one knows how to unfreeze the brain without turning it to mush.


Yup. Cryogenics is pretty risky at the moment - you have to hope they find a way to unfreeze you in the future, otherwise you've shaved precious years off your life for nothing.

Generally people get frozen after death!


Really? That's a relief then.


in the hope that they find a way to download consciousnesses into computers at some point in the future. But natural afterlife's will necessarily be finite.

A download would be a copy, the copy would not be you, and would it even be self-aware?

Oh, it was just random speculation. I read something by Richard Carrier lately that suggested it was possible, but I'm aware he's hardly an expert on the matter.

However - why wouldn't an exact copy of my concious mind be me?

An exact copy of you would not be you, it would be another 'you'.

Lets say you were copied right now onto a computer.
You, would still be there in your human body, the new you would be on the computer. Same memories, same personality (depending on how the computer functions, would it still have the same emotional responses). But two different entities. Maybe a better way would be to slowly expand, and replace your human brain with computer components, it's still debatable if it would still be you when the process was complete... it's a bit of an existentialist headache!

Yikes. My brain's just overloaded slightly.

I assume the question 'would I be there in the computer or would it be someone else?' basically isn't going to get answered then?

So it would be me then?