Jump to topic:

Firefy: Why it went of air.

Elliot.exe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 4:35:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone remember the T.V show firefly? Well, prehaps not because Fox thought that they should can it.

It was made by Joss Whedon who also made Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (I Angel sucked). It had 4.48 million in he U.S.A alone. Not to mention a cult status with Roleplaying games, comic books etc etc. The show also brought in talent from other sci-fi programs for example the wonderful Summer Glau from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

If anyone knows a logical and/or a good exsuse for cancelling firefly because I can't see one....anywhere.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 6:41:31 AM
Fox aired the opening episodes out of order, it had generally low ratings at the time and was consequently denied a second series.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 7:26:05 AM
They had no good reason - Fox is just run by a bunch of idiots who wouldn't know a successful series if it mounted them.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 7:34:42 AM
At 6/3/2010 7:26:05 AM, Volkov wrote:
They had no good reason - Fox is just run by a bunch of idiots who wouldn't know a successful series if it mounted them.

House. Glee. American Idol.

Totally unsuccessful, right?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 8:45:36 AM
At 6/3/2010 7:34:42 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

I should have qualified it with "bearable successful shows," of which House is the only one that follows. Glee and AI are the bane of my existence.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 10:32:45 AM
At 6/3/2010 7:34:42 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 6/3/2010 7:26:05 AM, Volkov wrote:

24... Family Guy... The Simpsons...
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 7:10:19 PM
At 6/3/2010 7:07:21 PM, Volkov wrote:
I bet for every one successful Fox program you name, I can name two unsuccessful ones.

Is that not the case for he other stations, as well?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 7:11:28 PM
At 6/3/2010 7:10:19 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

I think Fox has a special way of failing. It makes great shows sometimes, but other times its absolutely idiotic. It might just be because of the pure volume, however...
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 7:56:59 AM
As was already stated, Fox did not air the pilot episode first, which is critical in understanding the series. Most people tuned into the second episode and thought, "who are these people and why aren't I being told who they are?"

Firefly is easily my favorite sci-fi series. My wife, who is not a sci-fi fan, also loves this series. It has great character interaction, witty dialog, mystery, and even some good ol' fashion swashbuckling fun.

Fox cancelled the show because, like any business, it wasn't a money maker at the time. Someone in the higher ranks would have had to have seen its potential and insisted on giving it more time (or even re-starting it in the right order). But, the bottom line made the final decision. Too bad.

At least it's cheap to get the entire series on blu-ray or DVD. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen every single episode. It's also on Netflix streaming (I think) and maybe even on Hulu. Watch it today.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 8:09:12 AM
At 6/3/2010 7:11:28 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/3/2010 7:10:19 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

I think Fox has a special way of failing. It makes great shows sometimes, but other times its absolutely idiotic. It might just be because of the pure volume, however...

Nah, PoeJoe's right... every station has shows that are failing and shows that are doing good. FOX still has American Idol and Glee (even if you don't like it - they're hits), 24, Family Guy, The Simpsons (which has been on for like 20 years), House...

Meanwhile ABC has Grey's Anatomy, Lost (which has ended), Desperate Housewives, Dancing with the Stars and... that's about it? For big shows anyway. NBC has Heroes, 30 Rock, Law and Order and... SNL? I'd say that CBS is definitely the worst network in terms of TV shows. I can't even think of a decent long running show they have except for CSI and Two and a Half Men (which isn't the same caliber as the other comedies I mentioned).

Fox to me seems to be in the lead actually... but admittedly my favorite network for TV shows undoubtedly is Showtime (or is it Shotime?)! The L Word (RIP), Weeds (can't wait til August!!!), Dexter, Nurse Jackie, United States of Tara, Penn and Teller: Bullsh!t, The Tudors... all my fave shows! They have others that have been critically acclaimed as well like Brotherhood and Californication that I haven't seen.
President of DDO