Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Ancient Aliens

Disquisition
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:42:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

This show is so stupid. What is surprising is the number of average Joes that believe it.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:44:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

I watch it. It's ok better than watching the brain dead filth produced by the big networks.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:23:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

Ugh, the history channel. The discovery channel used to be about natural sciences, now it's about ICE TRUCKERS WHO GO CATCH CRABS IN STORMS AND BLOW SH*T UP FUUUUCK YEAH BRO *smashes beer can into forehead and passes out*. The History channel is going down the same path. First it was the 'Hitler channel' for a few years, then it focused on these stupid alien theories, as if religion and history can only be interesting if peppered with the constant speculation 'could it have been aliens?' There was also a really aggravating Nostradamus phase. The pawn store fixation is at least ostensibly educational, but it's so limited in its scope. What little actual history remains is so overwrought that it possesses dubious educational quality. Watching that channel just depresses me, as I remember when it actually had engaging programming.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Disquisition
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:33:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 10:23:08 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

Ugh, the history channel. The discovery channel used to be about natural sciences, now it's about ICE TRUCKERS WHO GO CATCH CRABS IN STORMS AND BLOW SH*T UP FUUUUCK YEAH BRO *smashes beer can into forehead and passes out*. The History channel is going down the same path. First it was the 'Hitler channel' for a few years, then it focused on these stupid alien theories, as if religion and history can only be interesting if peppered with the constant speculation 'could it have been aliens?' There was also a really aggravating Nostradamus phase. The pawn store fixation is at least ostensibly educational, but it's so limited in its scope. What little actual history remains is so overwrought that it possesses dubious educational quality. Watching that channel just depresses me, as I remember when it actually had engaging programming.

Yes!! it's just very disappointing to watch such a great channel be degraded into bland reality shows and conspiracy theories.

At least Brad Meltzer's Lost History and America unearthed give me some form of hope.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:43:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 10:33:33 PM, Disquisition wrote:
At 12/26/2014 10:23:08 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

Ugh, the history channel. The discovery channel used to be about natural sciences, now it's about ICE TRUCKERS WHO GO CATCH CRABS IN STORMS AND BLOW SH*T UP FUUUUCK YEAH BRO *smashes beer can into forehead and passes out*. The History channel is going down the same path. First it was the 'Hitler channel' for a few years, then it focused on these stupid alien theories, as if religion and history can only be interesting if peppered with the constant speculation 'could it have been aliens?' There was also a really aggravating Nostradamus phase. The pawn store fixation is at least ostensibly educational, but it's so limited in its scope. What little actual history remains is so overwrought that it possesses dubious educational quality. Watching that channel just depresses me, as I remember when it actually had engaging programming.

Yes!! it's just very disappointing to watch such a great channel be degraded into bland reality shows and conspiracy theories.

At least Brad Meltzer's Lost History and America unearthed give me some form of hope.

I watched a few episodes of Ancient Impossible, and it was okay. There's this stupid filming style that makes me grate my teeth though.

*cut scene to time-lapse nature footage*
- Random history spoken by gravelly-voiced man expounds the problem -
*show flashes of ancient architecture, punctuated by sounds affects which are completely unrelated to the topic of discussion*
- Actual history -
*More stupid background music and manly narrator talking bout how 'extreme' this project was*
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 11:17:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

I watch the show all the time. It is historical fiction, so yes you can learn about history by watching it.

Also you should read Zachariah Sitchen's stuff. He basically proves aliens have visited our ancestors and took Sasquatch DNA, combined it with human DNA to create us, to work as a slave race to mine gold for the Annunaki.

You see the Annunaki was suffering from global warming and they devised a way to use gold as a way to shore up their atmosphere somehow.

When they were done with us they tried to flood the planet but ENKI (Satan) saved us by letting us chill in a spaceship (see Noah's Ark story)
UndeniableReality
Posts: 1,897
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 9:55:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/13/2015 11:17:44 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

I watch the show all the time. It is historical fiction, so yes you can learn about history by watching it.

Also you should read Zachariah Sitchen's stuff. He basically proves aliens have visited our ancestors and took Sasquatch DNA, combined it with human DNA to create us, to work as a slave race to mine gold for the Annunaki.

You see the Annunaki was suffering from global warming and they devised a way to use gold as a way to shore up their atmosphere somehow.

When they were done with us they tried to flood the planet but ENKI (Satan) saved us by letting us chill in a spaceship (see Noah's Ark story)

The last bit is how we survived the great crocoduck scourge, if I recall.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:34:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

I watched it, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. The problem with it is that it uses close to every logical fallacy in the book to support its premise. At no point does the show come close to really advancing the ancient alien theory in any way, and while the individual things it looks at are interesting, its important to watch the whole show with a lot of scepticism.

I'd recommend Chris White's Debunking Ancient Aliens on Youtube. He's far more interested in facts and history, and it's far more educational.
Debate.org Moderator
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:35:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/15/2015 7:34:37 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

I watched it, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. The problem with it is that it uses close to every logical fallacy in the book to support its premise. At no point does the show come close to really advancing the ancient alien theory in any way, and while the individual things it looks at are interesting, its important to watch the whole show with a lot of scepticism.

I'd recommend Chris White's Debunking Ancient Aliens on Youtube. He's far more interested in facts and history, and it's far more educational.

Die alien
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 11:08:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/15/2015 7:34:37 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

I watched it, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. The problem with it is that it uses close to every logical fallacy in the book to support its premise. At no point does the show come close to really advancing the ancient alien theory in any way, and while the individual things it looks at are interesting, its important to watch the whole show with a lot of scepticism.

I'd recommend Chris White's Debunking Ancient Aliens on Youtube. He's far more interested in facts and history, and it's far more educational.

This does come across as you being an alien, but I can tell you the best evidence for ancient astronaut theory is the works of Zechariah Sitchen. His stuff is also incredibly hard to debunk. I'm not sure if he is still alive, but fairly recently he was one of only 3 people who could be defined as experts on the ancient Sumerian language. So his stuff is incredibly hard to disprove.

Another piece of the puzzle for ancient astronaut theory belongs to a guy who has done an incredible amount of work to prove that cavemen never actually evolved, but in fact their DNA combined with alien DNA to create us. I think his name is Leakey, but maybe not. Some compelling arguments and a convincing case could be made combining those theories.

I could argue ancient astronaut theory reasonably well against a competant opponent and possibly win. The problem I see would be making my arguments concise enough to fit into 10,000 characters. I really don't have time to argue right now, so don't even think of challenging, but it can certainly be done, and it's been something I've been wanting to do.

I wish that the History channel presented ancient astronaut theory better, but if they did the show wouldn't be as entertaining and probably couldn't have realistically lasted more than 1 season.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 7:36:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/15/2015 11:08:09 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/15/2015 7:34:37 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 12/26/2014 9:39:44 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What is it about this show, the history channel shows this sh*t in marathons like it is their God-given duty to indoctrinate us. It is really not that interesting, has little to nothing to do with history and is way to speculative. Does anyone watch this show?

I watched it, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. The problem with it is that it uses close to every logical fallacy in the book to support its premise. At no point does the show come close to really advancing the ancient alien theory in any way, and while the individual things it looks at are interesting, its important to watch the whole show with a lot of scepticism.

I'd recommend Chris White's Debunking Ancient Aliens on Youtube. He's far more interested in facts and history, and it's far more educational.

This does come across as you being an alien, but I can tell you the best evidence for ancient astronaut theory is the works of Zechariah Sitchen. His stuff is also incredibly hard to debunk. I'm not sure if he is still alive, but fairly recently he was one of only 3 people who could be defined as experts on the ancient Sumerian language. So his stuff is incredibly hard to disprove.

I actually am very familar with Sitchen's work and it may be the biggest reason why I don't take the ancient alien theory all that seriously. Sitchen certainly has interesting and entertaining theories, but I can tell you that, at least anectdotally, he isn't taken seriously from a lot of ancient text linguists like myself or others. The biggest reason for this is his methodology in terms of scholarship. I'm happy to detail for you exactly what this means specifically, but we'd have to go into a lot of detail. Suffice it to say that there is a legitimate criticism of his methods, his credibility and a rebuttal to each of his claims.

I'll simply point you to someone who has worked exhaustively to point out the problems with Sitchens work, and that is Dr. Michael Heiser. Heiser details all of the methodology issues and responds to many of the individual problems with Sitchens theories. You can find this detailed in text at his website (http://www.sitchiniswrong.com...), and you can watch his lectures on Youtube.

Heiser has actually challenged Sitchen to a debate that Stitchen has avoided.

As far as I am concerned, Haiser has debunked everything Sitchen claims, and has pretty much spelled out Sitchens lack of credibility in this area.

Another piece of the puzzle for ancient astronaut theory belongs to a guy who has done an incredible amount of work to prove that cavemen never actually evolved, but in fact their DNA combined with alien DNA to create us. I think his name is Leakey, but maybe not. Some compelling arguments and a convincing case could be made combining those theories.


You'd have to point me to the actual theory, but I think it's pretty obvious that I'm skeptical in any case.

I could argue ancient astronaut theory reasonably well against a competant opponent and possibly win. The problem I see would be making my arguments concise enough to fit into 10,000 characters. I really don't have time to argue right now, so don't even think of challenging, but it can certainly be done, and it's been something I've been wanting to do.


I'd take you up on this, though you are right. To debate the entire theory it would take a lot more space than what fits into a single debate. I'm happy to focus on one or a few major claims of the ancient aliens theory though. There are dozens of individual theories that make up the claim, and I believe most of them are fairly easily refuted. So if you want to do a dozen debates, each dealing with a small portion of the theory, I'm willing to do that... we could then combine it into a master-final debate and debate on all of the facets combined.

I've actually wanted to debate this topic for awhile, but to be honest, I never thought I'd find someone on DDO that took the theory seriously enough to debate it.

I wish that the History channel presented ancient astronaut theory better, but if they did the show wouldn't be as entertaining and probably couldn't have realistically lasted more than 1 season.

I think the History channel did a decent job with it. They made it interesting and entertaining. But I don't believe it presents any great evidence for the theory as I believe each segment is pretty easily debunked.
Debate.org Moderator
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:26:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Airmax, The fact you even know who Heisen is tells me I'm not debating you on this.

It's very hard to debunk Sitchen on this stuff, but he does a great job, and I didn't want to admit this because I wanted to save all this for a debate and not help any opponent, but um yeah, Sitchen as bright as he is has all the tell tale signs of a scam artist. He avoids other experts, appeals to stupid people and is a sensationalist.

I'd have to depend totally on my Sasquatch, combined with human DNA argument to win, and that requires somebody who isn't knowledgable about science, because it would take a ton of research to debunk some of the stuff, I'd throw out.

I'm willing to gamble with 2 B.S. Arguments in hopes that somebody is either ignorant of science or can't locate Heisen's work, but I certainly won't go in their with merely one. It would obviously be a devil's advocate position.

I can make good arguments for just about anything, and as much as I'd like to beat a good debater with them, I certainly couldn't defeat a good opponent who also knows his stuff.

When I did the flat Earth debate, which was closer than a lot of people think, I subtly tested Romanii, so I could be sure that science was not his strong suit.

I think I've won 3 debates that used climate gate as a premise that scientists were falsifying global warming data. It may not seem like it, but I do know when I'm full of crap, I just enjoy arguing weird things in a serious manner against tough opponents.

It's one thing to go into a debate with a 10% chance of winning, but as far as Ancient astronaut theory is concerned, I'd lose to you 99 times out of 100, and the one time I win, would be because you had a family emergency or something and couldn't finish.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:31:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm glad I didn't randomly challenge you. I really didn't think most people knew who Heiser was, or even that he'd pop up easily in Google searches.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 9:07:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 8:26:33 PM, Wylted wrote:
Airmax, The fact you even know who Heisen is tells me I'm not debating you on this.


Well, bummer. I don't fancy myself as one of the smartest people on the site or close to one of the best debaters, but I do consider myself THE expert on a few topics, and certain linguists topics would be one of them - so this is a topic I think I'd dominate. But fair enough, I don't blame you.

It's very hard to debunk Sitchen on this stuff, but he does a great job, and I didn't want to admit this because I wanted to save all this for a debate and not help any opponent, but um yeah, Sitchen as bright as he is has all the tell tale signs of a scam artist. He avoids other experts, appeals to stupid people and is a sensationalist.

haha I can't argue with any of this because this is exactly what I think about Sitchen.

I'd have to depend totally on my Sasquatch, combined with human DNA argument to win, and that requires somebody who isn't knowledgable about science, because it would take a ton of research to debunk some of the stuff, I'd throw out.

I'm willing to gamble with 2 B.S. Arguments in hopes that somebody is either ignorant of science or can't locate Heisen's work, but I certainly won't go in their with merely one. It would obviously be a devil's advocate position.

I can make good arguments for just about anything, and as much as I'd like to beat a good debater with them, I certainly couldn't defeat a good opponent who also knows his stuff.


I certainly think you are one of the best devils advocate debaters on this site, and you are a great debater in general. I don't take upon myself too many debates, and really want to stick to topics I have a ot of interest and expertise in. I suppose that should tell you something here. This is a debate topic I know backwards and forwards as far as the linguists aspects, the Sitchen aspects, and I know how to debunk all of the major Anccent Aliens theories. I wouldn't be someone you could just get lucky against on this topic.

When I did the flat Earth debate, which was closer than a lot of people think, I subtly tested Romanii, so I could be sure that science was not his strong suit.

I think I've won 3 debates that used climate gate as a premise that scientists were falsifying global warming data. It may not seem like it, but I do know when I'm full of crap, I just enjoy arguing weird things in a serious manner against tough opponents.

I think you do a good job at that. You are a good debater, and regardles of the "truth" you know how to make winning and persuasive arguments. This isn't the kind of debate where you could get away with any creative debating though.

It's one thing to go into a debate with a 10% chance of winning, but as far as Ancient astronaut theory is concerned, I'd lose to you 99 times out of 100, and the one time I win, would be because you had a family emergency or something and couldn't finish.

I think this is a fair assessment.

I think it's a shame we wont be able to do this debate, on Ancient Aliens in general, or Sitchen credibility more specifically, but your reluctance is certainly understandable..
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 9:12:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 8:31:12 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'm glad I didn't randomly challenge you. I really didn't think most people knew who Heiser was, or even that he'd pop up easily in Google searches.

I don't think he's that well known... Look up what Heiser's education is in, and where he got his education. He's not just some random guy that I happen to know about.
Debate.org Moderator
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 9:21:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/16/2015 9:12:24 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/16/2015 8:31:12 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'm glad I didn't randomly challenge you. I really didn't think most people knew who Heiser was, or even that he'd pop up easily in Google searches.

I don't think he's that well known... Look up what Heiser's education is in, and where he got his education. He's not just some random guy that I happen to know about.

Yes, I know. I've definitely read a lot of his stuff. I'm not familiar with his credentials, I just know they at the very least rival Sitchen's credentials in that field.