Jump to topic:

DDO Dungeons&Dragons

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:20:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, I've been wondering how this might work. It would be very slow paced, especially since the mod would have to roll all the dice, but I think a party of 4 or 5 adventurers might be able to make it somewhat playable. I'd DM the first go unless someone more experienced wants the job . Anyone interested?

The rules (aside from character creation and advancement stuff, which have to be made up and PMED to players, since they are not included in the open source system and it's forbidden to "publish" such things, the plain meaning of publishing clearly excluding 4 or 5 private conversations) , can be found here: http://www.d20srd.org.... Of course, we wouldn't have minis, so the rules of position would have to be rather imagined.

I'd think maybe a day's limit for each player to act whenever they have a turn/attack of opportunity/etc would work?

Oh, and none of the classes and races and such from the alternate rules in the second column, it's gonna be complex enough already.

Also, would people be more interested in a point buy system for abilities or the classic roll of the dice? (The first is likely to make it a lot simpler for players to coordinate a relatively balanced group and whatnot).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:44:47 AM
To be honest, the character creation is what kills it for me. Someone could make themselves a god, and then proceed to own all. Its also quite complicated, with all the IMAGINATION going on.
I miss the old members.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:49:32 AM
I am up for this, not too comfortable DMing as I am not entirely familiar with 3.5. There are online/downloadable character generators if that helps.

I'd like to go for a Wizard orm Sorcerer.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 3:07:29 AM
At 6/16/2010 3:02:18 AM, Atheism wrote:
Yeah, the movie/cartoon portrayals make it seem like the epitome of shut-in.

Why did you have to mention those?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 3:10:45 AM
At 6/16/2010 3:07:29 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/16/2010 3:02:18 AM, Atheism wrote:
Yeah, the movie/cartoon portrayals make it seem like the epitome of shut-in.

Why did you have to mention those?

Because making awkward situations is my thing.
I miss the old members.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 6:57:41 AM
At 6/16/2010 2:44:47 AM, Atheism wrote:
To be honest, the character creation is what kills it for me. Someone could make themselves a god
I'm pretty sure that's not a problem under the rules I linked to.

Including psionics?

"
Oh, and none of the classes and races and such from the alternate rules in the second column"
Sorry, hope ya still interested :).

I'm not really sure how to play or anything though.
Well, for starters, you'll probably wanna pick a race (# Humans
# Dwarves
# Elves
# Gnomes
# Half-Elves
# Half-Orcs
# Halflings)
and class
(# Barbarian
# Bard
# Cleric
# Druid
# Fighter
# Monk
# Paladin
# Ranger
# Rogue
# Sorcerers
# Wizards)

1. Cerebral Narcissist (Wizard, I gather that's his preference of the two since listed first)
2. Insertnamehere ( ? )
3. ?Puck (?)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 7:02:19 AM
At 6/16/2010 6:57:41 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Oh, and none of the classes and races and such from the alternate rules in the second column"
Sorry, hope ya still interested :).

Yeah, wasn't sure if that just meant the "Variant rules" section or not.

Keep me in. I'll choose class later based on rest of the party makeup.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:18:15 AM
I'm in!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:21:17 AM
1. Cerebral Narcissist (Wizard, I gather that's his preference of the two since listed first)
2. Insertnamehere ( ? )
3. ?Puck (?)
4. Mattrodstrom ( ? )
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:22:04 AM
how'd you do the board and moving around... and the like???

I mean I get how YOU would do it... but How would we know where we were?

or would you just say like that this baddies 5 squares away... that one's 10....

seems like a lot of work for you.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:27:08 AM
also... are we gonna do the rolling business to determine stats...

or just assign them from a set number like in the V-games...

I've never actually played... despite having the board game and having the Players Manual and DM guide.
This is exciting 8)

Metaphysics:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:29:01 AM
At 6/16/2010 8:22:04 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
how'd you do the board and moving around... and the like???
Verbal descriptors about who is what direction and how far from who I guess.

Yeah, it's work, but as far as I can tell really just have to keep track of who is in melee for flanking and attacks of opportunity. Otherwise it only comes up if there's something unusual to adjudicate.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:31:07 AM
At 6/16/2010 8:25:01 AM, Mirza wrote:
So, it is a forum game, right?

Yes

also... are we gonna do the rolling business to determine stats...
Either point buy (on the same basic rules as D&D the MMO or rolling, depending on what yall prefer. The latter would likely make for a more difficult game unless everyone got really lucky with their rolls.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:34:33 AM
Well, there's one slot left, better make that maybe a definitely before someone else does :)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:37:16 AM
At 6/16/2010 8:34:33 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Well, there's one slot left, better make that maybe a definitely before someone else does :)
I have not read the rules etc. I may do something wrong.

What are the basics of this? Is it team-based?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:38:16 AM
At 6/16/2010 8:37:16 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/16/2010 8:34:33 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I have not read the rules etc. I may do something wrong.

What are the basics of this? Is it team-based?
Yes. All the players are on the same team. They attempt to get through an adventure created by the Dungeon Master.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:40:13 AM
At 6/16/2010 8:38:16 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Yes. All the players are on the same team. They attempt to get through an adventure created by the Dungeon Master.
When do we begin?

I will take the role of a Cleric.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:43:26 AM
2. Insertnamehere ( ? )
3. ?Puck (?)
4. Mattrodstrom ( ? )
5. Mirza (Cleric)

Slots are full, as soon as everyone's picked their class, I'll send details on character customization in PMs.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:43:47 AM
And we'll begin once everyone's character is customized.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:55:17 AM
halfling rogue

Metaphysics:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:57:01 AM
2. Insertnamehere ( ? )
3. ?Puck (?)
4. Mattrodstrom ( Halfling rogue)
5. Mirza (Cleric)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 9:07:31 AM
At 6/16/2010 8:57:01 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Yes I'll stick with wizard, its more suited to me than sorcerer!
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 11:12:20 AM
if your willing to have a sixth person i would like to be a half elf sorcerer (to someone else who is willing we will need a cleric)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 11:40:16 AM
At 6/16/2010 8:57:01 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
2. Insertnamehere ( ? )
3. ?Puck (?)
4. Mattrodstrom ( Halfling rogue)
5. Mirza (Cleric)

need a tank

Metaphysics: