Jump to topic:

My Dog Was Attacked

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:04:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Last night, around 8:15, my mother and sister take my dog for a walk. My dog was on a leash, minding her own business. There is a law in our area that states that all dogs in communities must be on leashes when they are outside. Right when my mother and sister start to turn a corner with my dog, my mother notices two dogs on the other side of the street. The dogs are own their own property, without leashes or their owners around. My mother begins to worry and realizes she has never seen those dogs before. Almost instantly, one of the dogs rushes at full speed towards my dog. The other dog bites into my dog, doesn't let go, and sinks her teeth into my dog. My sister jumps on the other dog and wrestles it on concrete, while my mother grabs the collar of the other dog in an attempt to get it off of my dog.

After various scrapes, bruises, and bite marks on both my mother and sister, they are able to get the other dog off of my dog. My sister carries the dog home, and informs me of the situation. While I care for the dog, my mother holds onto the other dog until my father comes to put the attacker and the other dog (that was still on the property) into their house. Turns out someone there left the door unlocked, and that's how the dogs escaped.

My dog had several puncture wounds and was badly bleeding in the back. My father and I took her to the animal hospital that night, and arrived to the care facility at 10:30. At 1:30 in the morning, the doctor finally came to us and informed us that my dog would need surgery. At around 7:30 in the morning, our dog came home. She still has wounds, and the doctor put a draining device in her back leg that is still causing her pain currently. (It's almost 10:00 at night right now) She has to wear a cone, and it's all painful for her.

When my family confronted the couple that owned the attacker, the woman said that we shouldn't upset her because she's six months pregnant. First of all, I DON'T f*cking care if she's six months pregnant. She upset my dog and the other members of my family, that selfish b*tch. The virago (old b*tch) had the audacity to say, "At least my dog didn't get run over by a car." I wish her dog DID get run over by a car. My dog did nothing wrong; the other dog was completely at fault.

The man in the couple used the excuse, "My dog is very territorial. I hope your dog is okay." First of all, that territorial excuse is completely bullsh*t. The couple told us that they never let their dogs out of the house. Thus, when they escaped and were in the couple's lawn, they wouldn't have had enough time to claim the space as their territory. More importantly, my dog was nowhere NEAR their property/territory. The other dog darted across the street to us. He had the audacity to come up with a dumb*ss excuse. I was also pissed when he asked if my dog was okay. He said this while looking at my dog with her cone, blood, drain, etc. Obviously she's NOT okay.

All in all, I am very pissed at the negligence of the couple and the whole situation. The only punishment the couple got was a demand to "quarantine" their dogs in their house (which, essentially, they were already doing. It ended up in my dog getting brutally attacked, and could lead to another dog being attacked in the future.) Sure, they have to pay for my dog's medical bill, but it's not taking into account all of the worry in my family, pain that my dog must endure, the time we had to spend at the vet's, the money we have to spend on other food supplies, etc. This whole scenario has made me realize that I need to spend more time with family than on this website or schoolwork.

I'll also remember something from this event that will change my life forever: when I was holding my dog in the car ride to the animal hospital, we connected eyes. My dog's eyes were timid and sad, and she looked at me in such a way that I realized I should never take anything in my life for granted. This has allowed me to realize that individual people and animals DO matter. Everyone in society has a purpose and means something to the ecosystem or the general community.

Thanks for letting me share.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:08:34 PM
It sounds very sad.

I hope your dog gets fine. Cuddle it for me. Also, I think those people were irresponsible and disrespectful. I agree with you.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:10:45 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:08:34 PM, Mirza wrote:
It sounds very sad.

I hope your dog gets fine. Cuddle it for me. Also, I think those people were irresponsible and disrespectful. I agree with you.

I'm just very pissed at the situation. I love my dog very much, and it's quite painful to see her in so much hurt. Thanks for the concern.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:17:12 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:10:45 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I'm just very pissed at the situation. I love my dog very much, and it's quite painful to see her in so much hurt. Thanks for the concern.
I understand. I am also very emotional, and just by reading this, it saddens me a lot. I totally dislike the fact that e.g. a dog looks sad and feels pain. I feel like hugging your dog right now!

Try to make it happy somehow.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:18:45 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:17:12 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/17/2010 7:10:45 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I understand. I am also very emotional, and just by reading this, it saddens me a lot. I totally dislike the fact that e.g. a dog looks sad and feels pain. I feel like hugging your dog right now!

Try to make it happy somehow.

I'm trying, but she seems to be uncomfortable. I usually spend time routinely giving her nice, long belly rubs, but there's blood around the area and it physically hurts if I do it as I usually do. Thanks for the concern. I love animals as well.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:19:18 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:17:38 PM, Mirza wrote:
And this is what I dislike about owning pets, too. You can get really sad if something bad happens to them...

Yeah. But, I'll always remember the good times.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:23:24 PM
Your family would he well within thwir rights to sue the family for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and possibly negligence which would be a criminal issue.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:25:18 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:23:24 PM, Korashk wrote:
Your family would he well within thwir rights to sue the family for medical expenses, pain and suffering and possibly negligence which would be a criminal issue.

I think the most you could possibly do (Beyond Med. expenses) is to get their dogs put down.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:29:27 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:23:24 PM, Korashk wrote:
Your family would he well within thwir rights to sue the family for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and possibly negligence which would be a criminal issue.

I was thinking about this as well. The couple has agreed to pay the medical expenses, but nothing beyond that. I'd like additional compensation for extraneous food supplies, the wait we had to endure at the vet's, the trauma my dog will have for the rest of her life, etc. I've been a proponent on getting a case for negligence, but my father doesn't want to spend money on a lawyer.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:30:23 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:21:05 PM, Mirza wrote:
Which race does it belong to? And what about the one that attacked her?

My dog is a Cavashon. (Mix of a Cavalier King Charles and a Beajon.) My family is White.

The attacker is also a mix, probably a German Shepherd and a Husky. That couple is also White.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:32:53 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:30:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
My dog is a Cavashon. (Mix of a Cavalier King Charles and a Beajon.) My family is White.
OK. Out of curiosity, are you adopted? You are black...

The attacker is also a mix, probably a German Shepherd and a Husky. That couple is also White.
I see.

Your dog is a cute kind. It is even more sad...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:34:52 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:32:53 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/17/2010 7:30:23 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
OK. Out of curiosity, are you adopted? You are black...

I'm White.

I see.

Your dog is a cute kind. It is even more sad...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:36:33 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:35:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
What argument?
About you being black. I did skim at your pictures!

And just found out that it is of your baseball idol, apparently!
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:37:20 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:36:33 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/17/2010 7:35:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
What argument?
About you being black. I did skim at your pictures!

And just found out that it is of your baseball idol, apparently!

Not my baseball idol, lol. They are pictures of Manny Ramirez. I used them for a debate I had months ago.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:39:17 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:37:20 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Not my baseball idol, lol. They are pictures of Manny Ramirez. I used them for a debate I had months ago.
Yes, I see. I also thought it was really strange that you were 17 and were supposed to be that guy, looking much older. I just looked at your pictures again and found out that it is clearly not you.

Well, it can be misleading. It is better with pictures of yourself!
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:41:59 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:39:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/17/2010 7:37:20 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Yes, I see. I also thought it was really strange that you were 17 and were supposed to be that guy, looking much older. I just looked at your pictures again and found out that it is clearly not you.

Well, it can be misleading. It is better with pictures of yourself!

I don't know how to upload pictures on my computer. I don't even have any pictures of myself.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:44:11 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:41:59 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I don't know how to upload pictures on my computer. I don't even have any pictures of myself.
I see. Mine is up for a while, and was taken almost a year ago. It is easy to upload them.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 7:57:51 PM
Aw, SAC, I hope your dog recovers and both physically and emotionally :( Our dog, Duke (he's a yellow lab/golden retriever mix), got attacked twice in the same month (last month). Once by a Pit bull, and the second time by a Border Collie/ black Lab mix.

These irresponsible idiots had their Pit bull out on their patio without a leash. When Lwerd and I came around the corner walking Duke, the pit bull jumped the balcony and came barreling toward our dog. All I could do was tug Duke as the Pit bull tried to sink his teeth into his neck. The owner made it over fast enough to restrain the dog, but hell, I was f*cking pissed. Almost everyone in our neighborhood owns a crazy pit bull. Sometimes I think there's a dog fighting rink somewhere around here. Scary f*cking dogs.

The second time I was going for a run with Duke around town, and I hear this lady shouting. I look across this big road with lots of traffic as the collie/lab is sprinting toward us. We're on the other side of the street. The lady is obviously worried her dog is going to get hit by the car, and I know the dog is coming for Duke. Thinking fast, I see a gap in traffic (not big enough if the dog continued his speed), so I start calling him to come faster - he speeds up and just barely misses getting hit by a car. Then he started attacking my dog - I grab Duke's collar and I grab the other dogs collar and am holding them apart with all the strength I have when this couple stops their car near me and attempts to lend me a hand. Thankfully the owner got across the street and restrained her dog.

It's always the innocent, nice dogs that get attacked :/ I'm thankfully Duke never actually suffered from the wounds your dog has. Give her a kiss for me :( I hope she feels better. No one should have to go through such trauma. Duke was attacked when he was younger by a Pit Bull at a dog park (Lwerd's other dog, the German Shep we had to put to sleep on Christmas saved him by fighting off the Pit Bull - she was such a protector :) miss her). The two dogs were extremely weary of other dogs after the indecent. People seriously need to train their dogs better or don't let them out in public.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 8:02:06 PM
At 6/17/2010 7:57:51 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
People seriously need to train their dogs better or don't let them out in public.

they need to let them out in public a hell of a lot more.

like when they're puppies... through adulthood.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 8:17:25 PM
Aw, SAC, I hope your dog recovers and both physically and emotionally :( Our dog, Duke (he's a yellow lab/golden retriever mix), got attacked twice in the same month (last month). Once by a Pit bull, and the second time by a Border Collie/ black Lab mix.

These irresponsible idiots had their Pit bull out on their patio without a leash. When Lwerd and I came around the corner walking Duke, the pit bull jumped the balcony and came barreling toward our dog. All I could do was tug Duke as the Pit bull tried to sink his teeth into his neck. The owner made it over fast enough to restrain the dog, but hell, I was f*cking pissed. Almost everyone in our neighborhood owns a crazy pit bull. Sometimes I think there's a dog fighting rink somewhere around here. Scary f*cking dogs.

The second time I was going for a run with Duke around town, and I hear this lady shouting. I look across this big road with lots of traffic as the collie/lab is sprinting toward us. We're on the other side of the street. The lady is obviously worried her dog is going to get hit by the car, and I know the dog is coming for Duke. Thinking fast, I see a gap in traffic (not big enough if the dog continued his speed), so I start calling him to come faster - he speeds up and just barely misses getting hit by a car. Then he started attacking my dog - I grab Duke's collar and I grab the other dogs collar and am holding them apart with all the strength I have when this couple stops their car near me and attempts to lend me a hand. Thankfully the owner got across the street and restrained her dog.

It's always the innocent, nice dogs that get attacked :/ I'm thankfully Duke never actually suffered from the wounds your dog has. Give her a kiss for me :( I hope she feels better. No one should have to go through such trauma. Duke was attacked when he was younger by a Pit Bull at a dog park (Lwerd's other dog, the German Shep we had to put to sleep on Christmas saved him by fighting off the Pit Bull - she was such a protector :) miss her). The two dogs were extremely weary of other dogs after the indecent. People seriously need to train their dogs better or don't let them out in public.

Aw, that's so sad. German Shepherds and Pit Bulls really worry me whenever I see them while walking my dog. Thanks for the input. I'm sorry about your dogs' unfortunate mishaps. I don't like the idiots who can't take care of their dogs either.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 8:27:13 PM
At 6/17/2010 8:02:06 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
People seriously need to train their dogs better or don't let them out in public.

Exactly. People are lazy and we see this through increased obesity and other trends of staying inside. I think this mentality has affected the way people raise their dogs; most never get outside and get exercise (causing health and mostly behavior problems) - and like you said, they aren't trained through dog parks and other mediums to become friendly or interact with other dogs. The fact is that dogs are dogs and their animalistic instincts are to attack others for a plethora of reasons. Nobody expects a dog to be completely isolated nor is that beneficial... so people should start making sure that their dogs are comfortable around others to prevent a situation like this.

I hope your dog gets better, SAC. I am practically obsessed with my dog (Vi will tell you) and I'd flip my sh!t if that happened to him. Also we all have those moments in life where we've got a profound revelation of some kind -- I hope you always remember your lesson :)
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 8:30:33 PM
At 6/17/2010 8:27:13 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 6/17/2010 8:02:06 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Exactly. People are lazy and we see this through increased obesity and other trends of staying inside. I think this mentality has affected the way people raise their dogs; most never get outside and get exercise (causing health and mostly behavior problems) - and like you said, they aren't trained through dog parks and other mediums to become friendly or interact with other dogs. The fact is that dogs are dogs and their animalistic instincts are to attack others for a plethora of reasons. Nobody expects a dog to be completely isolated nor is that beneficial... so people should start making sure that their dogs are comfortable around others to prevent a situation like this.

I hope your dog gets better, SAC. I am practically obsessed with my dog (Vi will tell you) and I'd flip my sh!t if that happened to him. Also we all have those moments in life where we've got a profound revelation of some kind -- I hope you always remember your lesson :)

Thanks for the advice. I honestly don't think I'll ever forget those eyes my dog had at that moment. I've been in a depression / anti-individual weird sort of thing for the last year, and this whole event has really opened my eyes to what's important and where I should place my priorities. I remember you once saying that you care more about your dog than most people in this world - I share somewhat similar sentiments ;)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2010 7:49:21 AM
In the UK this would be a police matter. You should try that, or at least sue.

Sure dogs fight, but they are meant to have some degree of training. These dogs sound wild, what is say that the next time they won't take a chunk out of a child?

Personally I think someone should just go round and shoot them, and the dogs.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2010 9:26:29 AM
At 6/18/2010 7:49:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
In the UK this would be a police matter. You should try that, or at least sue.

Sure dogs fight, but they are meant to have some degree of training. These dogs sound wild, what is say that the next time they won't take a chunk out of a child?

Personally I think someone should just go round and shoot them, and the dogs.

Well said. It is the owners' fault and they are the ones to be punished.

And you are right, Cereb, here in the UK the first thing that would happen is that the police would be called and if the dogs were assessed to be dangerous they would be destroyed on the spot and the owners prosecuted - preggars or not.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens too often. My mum was walking her little, timid old Norfolk terrier, Poppy, through the village when a big Doberman escaped from the small boy that was walking it and viscously attacked Mum's dog, who turned on her back in the submission posture.

Nevertheless, the Doberman got a hold of Poppy by the neck and was flinging the poor little dog around like rag doll.

Luckily, a burly villager heard the commotion and came out and managed to get the Doberman off (the boy who was walking it couldn't do anything to stop it).

I didn't hear anything about this for weeks after otherwise I would have insisted that the police were called in but Mum said felt sorry for the little boy and didn't want to deprive him of his pet.

Anyway, Poppy didn't stop shaking for weeks afterwards and has still not properly recovered.

I hope your dog fares better, SAC8.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...