Jump to topic:

Off-Limits Crushes

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:23:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am sure everyone has had a crush on someone off-limits. Specifically, I am referring to gay guys falling for straight guys, straight girls falling for gay guys, straight guys falling for lesbians, or lesbians falling for straight girls.

Do you have any stories of you or someone you know being placed in this kind of situation? There is not need to name names if you don't want to, but what happened? What did it feel like? How did you cope?

If you don't have any stories, what do you think of these kinds of relationships? What are your thoughts on these dilemmas?

-------------------------------------------------------

Here is my story:

So, I have this Indian friend who I got a crush on. I never told him how I felt, and I would be mortified if he ever found out. But, because I was afraid it would jeopardize our friendship, I always kept my feelings secret.

I remember when I first saw him in this really form-fitting outfit, and I nearly choked he was so hot. I always wanted to talk to him and I got my chance when he joined the debate team at my high school.

I found out that he was this really sweet, adorkable guy who wasn't just attractive on the outside. He was friendly, smart, outgoing, not afraid to be himself...he brought me out of myself. In some ways he was goofy; he will always be a big kid on the inside, but he could be mature when he needed to be.

I held out hope for years that he would be gay or bi, and it was really hard for me to come to terms with the fact that he was straight. I've known him for almost 5 years now, and he is still one of the most attractive people I have ever met.

But, then I met YYW, who swept me off my feet. Before I knew it, I was in love with him--he was sweet, kind, wonderful in every way. I look forward to spending my life with him.

But, in all honesty, just because I am deeply in love with YYW, it doesn't mean I don't still have some feelings left for my Indian friend. Love and affection are wonderful things, and you can have those amorous feelings for more than one person in your life, and each set of emotions is different, unique, and special. However, that doesn't mean that one set of emotions isn't stronger or more durable than another. And, for me, I chose YYW because he is the one who can love me back as I love him. He is the one with whom I can build a life and be happy. He is "the" one.

So...that's my personal story, and it was very personal and hard to tell. I am sure DDO has some other ones that can be shared, so please post below. Thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:34:32 PM
At 1/13/2015 9:23:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I am sure everyone has had a crush on someone off-limits. Specifically, I am referring to gay guys falling for straight guys, straight girls falling for gay guys, straight guys falling for lesbians, or lesbians falling for straight girls.

Do you have any stories of you or someone you know being placed in this kind of situation? There is not need to name names if you don't want to, but what happened? What did it feel like? How did you cope?

If you don't have any stories, what do you think of these kinds of relationships? What are your thoughts on these dilemmas?

-------------------------------------------------------

Here is my story:

So, I have this Indian friend who I got a crush on. I never told him how I felt, and I would be mortified if he ever found out. But, because I was afraid it would jeopardize our friendship, I always kept my feelings secret.

I remember when I first saw him in this really form-fitting outfit, and I nearly choked he was so hot. I always wanted to talk to him and I got my chance when he joined the debate team at my high school.

I found out that he was this really sweet, adorkable guy who wasn't just attractive on the outside. He was friendly, smart, outgoing, not afraid to be himself...he brought me out of myself. In some ways he was goofy; he will always be a big kid on the inside, but he could be mature when he needed to be.

I held out hope for years that he would be gay or bi, and it was really hard for me to come to terms with the fact that he was straight. I've known him for almost 5 years now, and he is still one of the most attractive people I have ever met.

But, then I met YYW, who swept me off my feet. Before I knew it, I was in love with him--he was sweet, kind, wonderful in every way. I look forward to spending my life with him.

But, in all honesty, just because I am deeply in love with YYW, it doesn't mean I don't still have some feelings left for my Indian friend. Love and affection are wonderful things, and you can have those amorous feelings for more than one person in your life, and each set of emotions is different, unique, and special. However, that doesn't mean that one set of emotions isn't stronger or more durable than another. And, for me, I chose YYW because he is the one who can love me back as I love him. He is the one with whom I can build a life and be happy. He is "the" one.

So...that's my personal story, and it was very personal and hard to tell. I am sure DDO has some other ones that can be shared, so please post below. Thanks.

I had a friend a lot like that too. He was a year younger than I was, and we met through a mutual friend. He was, more or less, everything I could hope for in a person. He was very good looking, very smart, kind and the like. I fell for him hard in college.

I was afraid to tell him how I felt, because I knew he was straight. There were parts of me that wondered; like, I questioned the possibility that he could be gay over and over and it tore me apart.

He is still a very good friend. I never told him how I felt, but it was really bsh1 that showed me how this other friend I had was not only unrealistic to court, romantically, but that there was someone else I was more interested in, who I didn't just want because I was lonely, trapped in an unrealistic romantic trap.

Meeting bsh1 changed how I felt about this friend, mainly, because he (bsh1) was the first time I ever really loved another person in a romantic way. I didn't know what that felt like before I met him. But now I do, and my life is better for it.

I crushed hard on straight boys throughout high school and college, though. It was not easy, but I think that I'm better for it. When you see your friend's relationships, what they did well, what they didn't, and when you're forced to look inward that much, it changes the way you think about yourself and the world -and I think probably for the better.
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:39:00 PM
The most off-limits crush I've ever had was on a friend in college who had a boyfriend. It was love at first sight. I mean, I was just gone. She was the most beautiful and inspiring and caring woman I'd ever known.

She'd hang out in my room every now and then and one day she came over to vent about her boyfriend. She was distraught and was considering ending things with him. When she asked me my opinion, I could swear I saw a literal angel and devil appear on my shoulders. I knew I would swing the pendulum in his favor or against, but I also knew she and this guy were basically made for each other and the issue she was describing was really just a misunderstanding.

Anyway, I told her my honest opinion (to work it out). They are now married, I'm engaged to the love of my life, we're still friends, and we all rode off into the sunset.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:50:33 PM
I had a crush on this girl in Texas...

She, a conservative. I, a liberal.

(she was a lesbian too)
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:32:05 PM
At 1/13/2015 9:50:33 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

(she was a lesbian too)

Lol...care to say a bit more?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 1:23:32 AM
Bump.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 1:49:57 PM

I have had three different men give me their phone numbers while I waited tables.
Damn my effeminate demeanor....
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:00:26 PM
At 1/14/2015 1:49:57 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

I have had three different men give me their phone numbers while I waited tables.

I've had a gay friend say he wanted to climb me like a tree. He's a respected author now. What could have been...
- lamerde

KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:15:37 PM
At 1/14/2015 2:00:26 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I've had a gay friend say he wanted to climb me like a tree. He's a respected author now. What could have been...

Tulle should avoid you like the plague.
Think of the successes that await her away from you!!!
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:16:17 PM
At 1/14/2015 2:15:37 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

Oops, I forgot the asterisks :/
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:20:01 PM

I'm definitely the iceberg to her Titanic.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:20:40 PM
At 1/14/2015 2:16:17 PM, KhaosMage wrote:

Oops, I forgot the asterisks :/

No wonder I was so confused lol
- lamerde

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:55:24 PM

Lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 4:54:39 PM

At 1/13/2015 9:34:32 PM, YYW wrote:

These stories made me think of something: do you two ever get frustrated, in general? It seems like you could walk around high school or your college campus and see all these hot guys, some of them even having great personalities, but at the same time you know that you probably don't have access to any of them. Especially if you have someone like that in a class or organization you're in, so you have to see them several times a week. Or you become friends with them (like in the stories).

Can it be frustrating at times, or are you more or less able to cope with it? I'm mostly referring to the time before you two met.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 5:03:37 PM
I had a preschool crush on several girls. I actually believed that I'd be able to marry all of them when I got older. Never happened of course.

I discovered that I had nonexistent libido some time during my freshman year in highschool. Attraction doesn't come to me as it does to normal people. :(

And then I developed a small crush on Danielle a couple years back; found out that she was gay, and that was the end of that. G_G
Senpai has noticed you.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 5:10:53 PM
I would post to this... but not on the forums... especially since he knows I'm on this site and visits sometimes...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 5:11:11 PM

once i developed a crush on a fellow trumpet player

i was trying to flirt and i playfully hit him with a trumpet mute

i actually hit him very hard and he cried

he never talked to me again

then i cried

needless to say i was quite a smooth 5th grader
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 5:57:21 PM
At 1/14/2015 4:54:39 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

At 1/13/2015 9:34:32 PM, YYW wrote:

These stories made me think of something: do you two ever get frustrated, in general? It seems like you could walk around high school or your college campus and see all these hot guys, some of them even having great personalities, but at the same time you know that you probably don't have access to any of them. Especially if you have someone like that in a class or organization you're in, so you have to see them several times a week. Or you become friends with them (like in the stories).

Can it be frustrating at times, or are you more or less able to cope with it? I'm mostly referring to the time before you two met.

Do I get frustrated that 9/10ths of the male population is off limits? Sometimes. But, there's a lot more anxiety associated with it when you're singe, which I am not.
Tsar of DDO
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:08:14 PM
At 1/14/2015 5:11:11 PM, debatability wrote:

once i developed a crush on a fellow trumpet player

i was trying to flirt and i playfully hit him with a trumpet mute

i actually hit him very hard and he cried

he never talked to me again

then i cried

needless to say i was quite a smooth 5th grader

http://www.reactiongifs.com...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:09:17 PM

(she was a lesbian too)

A conservative lesbian? XD
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:14:46 PM
At 1/14/2015 6:09:17 PM, RevNge wrote:

(she was a lesbian too)

Told ya she was off limits
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:15:30 PM
At 1/14/2015 6:14:46 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

(she was a lesbian too)

No, I meant that aren't conservatives against same-sex relationships?
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:16:03 PM
At 1/14/2015 6:15:30 PM, RevNge wrote:

(she was a lesbian too)

Yeah, they are... so she's off limits to everyone.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:18:59 PM
At 1/14/2015 6:16:03 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 6:15:30 PM, RevNge wrote:

(she was a lesbian too)

Yeah, they are... so she's off limits to everyone.

Dang.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:36:52 PM
When I was twelve in seventh grade, I had something of a crush on a girl in eighth grade. She was pretty, funny, intelligent, and a bit silly; a bit like me, actually (although I'm not really funny or intelligent and very silly :P).

I switched schools when going into seventh grade, so I began attending this middle school at the third school week or so. I already knew her a little outside of school, and I honestly wasn't expecting her to be there. We became friends almost immediately from the first day, and we talked to each other every single day for the first couple of months. I ended up realizing that we had a lot in common.

I eventually befriended her friends (some of them thought I was "cute" ._.), and screwed around (not the sexual meaning XD) with her twin brother in 5th Period. The problem was, though, I never really liked her in the romantic sense; just as a friend. As time passed, I got busier with other things and began talking to her less often and became more of an introvert. Soon, I started avoiding her, and only her, for some reason I can't explain in words.

Eventually, the school year was ending, and I was planning to skip eighth grade to go to high school with everyone else in eighth grade. That was probably my only chance to see her for another year. Over the summer, though, I was forced to move again and had to transfer to a different high school, which I am attending now. After last summer, though, I've never heard or seen her at all, and only then have I realized that I was attracted to her. Nowadays, I have no romantic attraction to anyone else, nor do I talk to most people in real life except for my friends.

Tl;Dr: Being anti-social was the most dumbass choice I ever made in my life.
BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:39:18 PM
At 1/14/2015 6:36:52 PM, RevNge wrote:
When I was twelve in seventh grade, I had something of a crush on a girl in eighth grade. She was pretty, funny, intelligent, and a bit silly; a bit like me, actually (although I'm not really funny or intelligent and very silly :P).

I switched schools when going into seventh grade, so I began attending this middle school at the third school week or so. I already knew her a little outside of school, and I honestly wasn't expecting her to be there. We became friends almost immediately from the first day, and we talked to each other every single day for the first couple of months. I ended up realizing that we had a lot in common.

I eventually befriended her friends (some of them thought I was "cute" ._.), and screwed around (not the sexual meaning XD) with her twin brother in 5th Period. The problem was, though, I never really liked her in the romantic sense; just as a friend. As time passed, I got busier with other things and began talking to her less often and became more of an introvert. Soon, I started avoiding her, and only her, for some reason I can't explain in words.

Eventually, the school year was ending, and I was planning to skip eighth grade to go to high school with everyone else in eighth grade. That was probably my only chance to see her for another year. Over the summer, though, I was forced to move again and had to transfer to a different high school, which I am attending now. After last summer, though, I've never heard or seen her at all, and only then have I realized that I was attracted to her. Nowadays, I have no romantic attraction to anyone else, nor do I talk to most people in real life except for my friends.

Dat emotion doe
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:42:14 PM
At 1/14/2015 6:39:18 PM, BLAHthedebator wrote:

Dat emotion doe

Yeah. I can't bring myself to talk comfortably to anyone but my family and friends for some odd reason. I'm practically incoherent if I don't relax. :/

Since I'm shut up all the time IRL, I pour out all of my words online...which is kind of why I talk so much on the forums. :P
BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:46:15 PM
At 1/14/2015 6:42:14 PM, RevNge wrote:

Dat emotion doe

Yeah. I can't bring myself to talk comfortably to anyone but my family and friends for some odd reason. I'm practically incoherent if I don't relax. :/

Since I'm shut up all the time IRL, I pour out all of my words online...which is kind of why I talk so much on the forums. :P

Don't blame me when they call you a girl
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 6:48:01 PM
At 1/14/2015 6:46:15 PM, BLAHthedebator wrote:
At 1/14/2015 6:42:14 PM, RevNge wrote:

Dat emotion doe

Don't blame me when they call you a girl

I've never had anyone think I was transgender. XD
Iphigenia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 7:00:32 PM

This is so mysterious.

Wow, this is an amazing story. It's pretty sad. :(