Jump to topic:

Are Animated Shows/Movies Sterotyped?

Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 3:51:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, this one day, I was talking to one of my friends about Cartoon Network for some reason. We were complaining that the new shows are not that good as the old ones, blah blah blah. My friend asked me what's my favorite show that got cancelled abruptly. So, I said Young Justice: it was a great show and if you haven't seen it. Go check out some episodes, if you're into the comics. They're online. I'll comment the link. I highly recommend you to see some episodes. So, anyway, I then remembered why Young Justice got cancelled. In case you don't know why it got cancelled, it got cancelled because Cartoon Network saw that Young Justice doesn't appeal to the average Cartoon Network audience, which are very young kids and it doesn't sell a lot of merchandise/toys. Young Justice is more suited towards teenagers/comic book fans. So, you may be wondering, 'why can't they put it on different channels?' That may be a logical solution, but the thing is that it won't get a lot of ratings. This is basically about money and making a profit. You see, I think it's this stereotype that since people think that animated features are for kids, they think that it should be only for kids because it's more "profitable". You see, mature teenagers/adults are not a profitable audience for animated shows. It would have been logical to make a dedicated TV channel for these types of shows or put them on the internet, considering that these types of shows are apparently not suited towards kids, but money-greedy companies are too blind to appeal to the older demographic. Yes, for those who were well-aware of the whole Young Justice thing years ago, yes, I'm still pissed off about it. I have every right to be because these things are disgusting and unforgiving and things like this have been going on forever and I felt the need to address it. Putting off shows like Young Justice and replacing it with crappy shows like Teen Titans Go just to appeal to demographic and make a profit? This is unacceptable. Yes, I should let it go, but I can't. What if corporations decided, "hey, let's stop making good movies like Birdman, The Imitation Game, and Whiplash, all of which received heavy critical praise and nominations, (I highly recommend for you to see those movies as well.) and let's start making stupid, over-the-top, garbage movies like Transformers: Age of Extinction, which made over a billion dollars in profit, while The Imitation Game, NightCrawler, and Birdman didn't even make 100 million, and abandon the demographic of moviegoers, who enjoy good movies that have competent story telling and writing, relatable and likeable characters, and superb acting, just to make a profit? Yeah, exactly, that's how I felt when they cancelled Young Justice and that's how I feel, when I was reminded of it. So, enough of me ranting, then, my friend and I went on a big rant on why good, Mature-Themed Animations are Stereotyped for Kids. It's true, at least in my eyes. I just think too many people always stereotype these shows and movies for kids. I went to my mom this morning and asked her can we go see Paddington, which is a movie that EVERYONE says it's good. Everyone is saying that anyone, any age should watch it. So, my mom was like, no because it's for kids. I mean, I don't blame her because when I saw the trailers and stuff, I kind thought it was a movie for kids too because it was silly, until I saw on RottenTomatoes that it got like a 96%, which I was surprised. So, I could understand her viewpoint a little bit. But, her response reminded me of the stereotype and it kind of pissed me off at the moment. I don't know. I just had to address this stereotype because it pissed me off and I'm kind of sick of it. I'm especially tired of people calling animes "cartoons." It's even more annoying. How can you relate to these situations? Are you tired of this stereotype?
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 4:03:07 PM
Sure, this is an overreaction and I really should get over. I know that Young Justice is just another cancelled show and no matter how much I cry, the CN executives don't care. I'm just worried about the next good show to come. I'm worried that there may not even be a "good show" anymore. Even if there will be one in the future, I'm worried that it may just live the exact same fate as Young Justice did, and it's kind of sad how people put off good shows for worse shows and it's frustrating.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 6:19:44 PM
The whole point of cartoons is to "exaggerate" stereotypes, where have you been living, on a college campus of higher learning?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%