Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

RPG Mafia

I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 1:39:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My Mafia turn to host is in four turns, and I'm contemplating an RPG Mafia game. Now, it won't be as vague and free reign as Ragnars, but it will remove some of the shackles of the regular Mafia game, and require a twist of creativity.

I'm currently toying with some ideas (It'll most be likely be bass on an RPG video game, probably Fallout 3), but I want some sort of confirmation that people will play this.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 2:13:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 2:09:33 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Any particular reason?

I had a general dislike for Ragnar's RPG. Ragnar administrated the game very well, I just didn't enjoy it. I like mafia games, not RPGs.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 2:14:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 2:13:58 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/28/2010 2:09:33 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Any particular reason?

I had a general dislike for Ragnar's RPG. Ragnar administrated the game very well, I just didn't enjoy it. I like mafia games, not RPGs.

This game =/= Ragnars game. Consider it something more along the fence.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 2:15:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 2:14:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This game =/= Ragnars game. Consider it something more along the fence.

That's kinda hard to quantify, to be honest. Perhaps if you described your version a bit more in-depth I could make a better judgement call.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 2:23:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 2:15:58 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/28/2010 2:14:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This game =/= Ragnars game. Consider it something more along the fence.

That's kinda hard to quantify, to be honest. Perhaps if you described your version a bit more in-depth I could make a better judgement call.

Ok, I only have rough ideas, but basically, the game will take place within a much more limited area, though there is room to move about. I will make a map beforehand with measurements to make life easier. I won't be as vague as Ragnar. I'll give you a rough location of your character, and your relevant location in relation to the arms store, your home, etc.

You get to design your character roughly beforehand in fallout style, pouring a limited number of points into S.P.E.C.I.A.L (Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck). You can also put points into skills.

Not everything will be straight up killing. You have room to bluff your way out of situations, trick someone, etc. though not too much emphasis will be placed on this but it's an alternative.

You can also purchase armour and the like.

And that's my idea, roughly. However, it already seems a bit complex, so I might make a Red Dead Redemption one instead.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 2:24:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 2:16:22 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What happened in R_R's game? I was not here for it

Took 3 months because shooting someone required an essay of precise cations.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 2:25:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 2:24:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/28/2010 2:16:22 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What happened in R_R's game? I was not here for it

Took 3 months because shooting someone required an essay of precise cations.

sounds like it blew
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 2:27:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'll prolly scrap the traditional character creation scheme in Fallout, and limit it to specialising in certain weapon types.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 3:09:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 2:27:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I'll prolly scrap the traditional character creation scheme in Fallout, and limit it to specialising in certain weapon types.

>: (

What?!!? That just kills Fallout.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 3:19:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 2:24:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/28/2010 2:16:22 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What happened in R_R's game? I was not here for it

Took 3 months because shooting someone required an essay of precise cations.

Yeah, it was ridiculous that it took so long for me to just destroy you when you hid behind the trash.

I'd be in, though.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 3:29:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'll sign up for it once we get to it.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 5:15:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have an idea. A cop has investigative skills, but the process of investigation involves finding clues. A watcher may have sneaking skills and would actually have to stalk someone. The mafia would actually have to carry out a kill. Furthermore, discussion with other mafioso may be limited to a phone call or place of gathering. With an RPG element, there is a strong likelihood that these processes may fail or be sabotaged or ambushed, but that's the fun of RPG.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 5:29:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 5:15:39 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I have an idea. A cop has investigative skills, but the process of investigation involves finding clues. A watcher may have sneaking skills and would actually have to stalk someone. The mafia would actually have to carry out a kill. Furthermore, discussion with other mafioso may be limited to a phone call or place of gathering. With an RPG element, there is a strong likelihood that these processes may fail or be sabotaged or ambushed, but that's the fun of RPG.

You're essentially describing my mafia (granted, the "mafia phones" had one extremely secure connection for their conversations).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 5:53:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You could NOT tell us roles at all. Just give us names, skills, and goals. Skills could be points out of a hundred for each of the following:

Stealth:
Marksmanship:
Persuasiveness:
Spatial Awareness/Ability to Notice Things:
Intelligence:
etc.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 5:59:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 5:53:52 PM, wjmelements wrote:
You could NOT tell us roles at all. Just give us names, skills, and goals. Skills could be points out of a hundred for each of the following:

Stealth:
Marksmanship:
Persuasiveness:
Spatial Awareness/Ability to Notice Things:
Intelligence:
etc.

Eh risks too many similarities. Alternative is d100 rolls and base class/skills on your rolls.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:37:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 5:59:25 PM, Puck wrote:
At 6/28/2010 5:53:52 PM, wjmelements wrote:
You could NOT tell us roles at all. Just give us names, skills, and goals. Skills could be points out of a hundred for each of the following:

Stealth:
Marksmanship:
Persuasiveness:
Spatial Awareness/Ability to Notice Things:
Intelligence:
etc.

Eh risks too many similarities. Alternative is d100 rolls and base class/skills on your rolls.

I'd want it to be closer to Ragnar's game than a normal game, as long as the pace is fast enough.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2010 12:02:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/28/2010 3:26:10 PM, Nags wrote:
No thanks Panda. I just greatly prefer the traditional format.

Samesies.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 8:58:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So far, a characters skill choice will be of the following:

Weapon Skills:

Small Guns (SMG's, Pistols, Revolvers, Shotgun etc.)
Explosives (Grenades, C4, rocket launchers)
Rifles (Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles)
Energy Weapons
Melee Weapons

Other Skills:

Repair (Allows you to repair weapons and armour with greater ease)
Medicine (Allows you to heal more diseases and wounds, as well as administer medicine better)
Sneak (Allows you to sneak around unnoticed)
Trespassing (Ability to hack computers and pick locks)
Persuasion (Better ability to negotiate with NPC's)
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 9:05:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The attributes will be based on a RAILS system

Resilience (Allows you to take more pain, and well as better radiation resistance)
Agility (Your ability to move at a quicker pace and with greater ease and skill)
Intuition (Allows you to pick up on things easier, as well as finding hints and clues you mightn't otherwise find)
Luck (Influences your chances of hitting an opponent, and succeeding at tasks)
Strength (Can carry more and you have a greater punch)

Although you can physically shape your character to your liking, strength and agility will mean picking a 6 foot 11, 300 pound guy means will make him a fat *ss if he has low strength.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 3:08:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Due to my laziness, I will be implementing RPG style elements. Players will have a role, but if a player, such as a doctor, finds a gun, they can use it, but they mightn't be good with it. Players also have free movement.

Unlike Ragnars game, there will be a limited area, and a full map detailing the area.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 3:21:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It sounds like a fallout 3 type of mafia game.
No thanks, this game sounds ridiculously complicated.
Either that, or I'd end up confusing myself.
I miss the old members.