Total Posts:153|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Hunting

Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 11:08:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The topic of hunting is often one that attracts many different opinions. For example some might be pro hunting because it is a good form of pest control, others see hunting as a tradition but some just like doing it for sport. Those who are anti hunting think that is cruel.

In the U.K fox hunting was made illegal but overall the public did not want the ban. Personally I am pro fox hunting, pro fishing and I support game (shooting birds and rabbits for food). But I am opposed when it is just to kill and there is no other good reason apart from sport. Fox hunting may seem to fall into this category but it is a good form of pest control. I feel it is down to where you come from and the people who passed the ban are city folk and do not understand the issues such as farming.

I am myself "city folk" but I sympathise and will back the pro hunt. I will be interested to read what you think about hunting.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 11:15:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The rural areas are those who are directly effected by instituion of hunting, it should have been decided for each area by local mini referenda.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 11:23:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Please direct yourself to this link:

http://www.supportfoxhunting.co.uk...

Fox hunting is important to those who live in the country side because it combines three elements. Outdoor sport, tradition and pest control.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 11:42:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/1/2010 11:31:37 AM, Elliot.exe wrote:
I think it is poppy cock to allow those who have always been of the city stick there nose into matters concerning the country side.

Reasons being?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 11:56:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/1/2010 11:42:40 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 7/1/2010 11:31:37 AM, Elliot.exe wrote:
I think it is poppy cock to allow those who have always been of the city stick there nose into matters concerning the country side.

Reasons being?

Because it does not directly concern or effect them.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 1:28:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I hope with the new Tory government fox hunting will have a free vote and become legal after that think fox hunting, angling and shooting game with become not matters of parliament but of the local community which will mean that hunting will be safe for years to come.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 2:42:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/1/2010 11:13:50 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hunting is only ok if it's for food/survival. Other than that, I'll have to say I'm against it.

I completely agree. And fox hunting is just always completely wrong. Bunny hunting only for food I guess.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 5:06:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/1/2010 11:08:49 AM, Elliot.exe wrote:

In the U.K fox hunting was made illegal but overall the public did not want the ban.

What makes you say that the public didn't want it? Can you link to any source establishing that a majority of people weren't in favour of banning it?

The way I see it, most people probably didn't have particularly strong feelings either way. When it was permitted there was a very vocal minority calling for it to be banned, now there is a very vocal minority calling for it to be legalised.

Personally I am pro fox hunting, pro fishing and I support game (shooting birds and rabbits for food). But I am opposed when it is just to kill and there is no other good reason apart from sport. Fox hunting may seem to fall into this category but it is a good form of pest control. I feel it is down to where you come from and the people who passed the ban are city folk and do not understand the issues such as farming.

I think the pest control thing is BS. The money spent on upkeep of horses, hounds and equipment would be far better spent on a good bit of chickenwire and a single guard dog.

The only valid argument I can see in favour of hunting is that jobs can be lost and dogs bred to hunt may end up being put down under a ban.

I am myself "city folk"

Me too, same city.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 7:24:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
fox hunting is a fairly big thing over here, at least in rural areas anyway. there's even an annual hunt ball held in one of the towns close to me and it's always packed out. i've nothing against it to be honest... what's a fox ever done for me? i've also probably killed at least 100 animals so i'd be a hypocrite to have anything against it. i killed for profit though if that's any better than sport lol.
signature
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 8:55:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
omg I would like die. Foxes are one of my fave animals, and I'm nicknamed fox. (best friend is Bunny and bf is Kitty) and I really want a pet fox.

I'm always against killing for anything other than food, but having a big celebration to honor fox hunting is one of the sickest things I've ever heard.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 10:38:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/1/2010 8:55:17 PM, lovelife wrote:
omg I would like die. Foxes are one of my fave animals, and I'm nicknamed fox. (best friend is Bunny and bf is Kitty) and I really want a pet fox.

I'm always against killing for anything other than food, but having a big celebration to honor fox hunting is one of the sickest things I've ever heard.

it's more just an excuse to dress up and get mouldy drunk. they still like killing foxes though.
signature
Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:10:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Fox hunting is belive it or not (first time I heard this I thought it was made up) less cruel then shooting. Then again shooting is a faster way of pest control because more times then not they don't get any foxes.

Farmers would have to shoot foxes as part of there job so why not take a not so nice job and make it a social event...and an exuse to drink early in the day. I know that is a very Mary Poppins way to look at things but we need farming and farming can not go on with pests so really fox hunting is for the benifit of the whole of the U.K but city folk like me won't see it like that because we have watched the fox and the hound a millon times thinking that foxes are goodies (awesome film btw! xD)
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:15:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/2/2010 6:10:33 AM, Elliot.exe wrote:
Fox hunting is belive it or not (first time I heard this I thought it was made up) less cruel then shooting.

lol... then excuse me for also thinking it's made up.

dogs mauling and ripping a fox apart seems like one of the most tortuous deaths a fox can have.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:21:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
That is what I thought but Hunting by hounds is the most natural and humane way of controlling the population of all four quarry species - fox, deer, hare and mink - in the countryside.

The thing I don't like is the wonderful countryside having fox guts all over it that is not so nice.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:27:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/2/2010 6:21:12 AM, Elliot.exe wrote:
That is what I thought but Hunting by hounds is the most natural and humane way of controlling the population of all four quarry species - fox, deer, hare and mink - in the countryside.

1. Dogs are not "natural" (at least not in any relevant way...they're Bred)

2. "Natural" (doesn't necessarily)= humane (see video)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:31:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The natural world is a bloody one and the dogs prey is foxes. Are we going to not let the dogs hunt for there prey like they would in the wild.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:40:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/2/2010 6:31:16 AM, Elliot.exe wrote:
The natural world is a bloody one and the dogs prey is foxes. Are we going to not let the dogs hunt for there prey like they would in the wild.

we took dogs out of the natural world when we started breeding them. and they dogs that are used to hunt foxes are specially bred for that purpose. in the natural world they prey stands a chance. not that i'm against it.
signature
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:43:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/2/2010 6:10:33 AM, Elliot.exe wrote:
Fox hunting is belive it or not (first time I heard this I thought it was made up) less cruel then shooting. Then again shooting is a faster way of pest control because more times then not they don't get any foxes.

Farmers would have to shoot foxes as part of there job so why not take a not so nice job and make it a social event...and an exuse to drink early in the day. I know that is a very Mary Poppins way to look at things but we need farming and farming can not go on with pests so really fox hunting is for the benifit of the whole of the U.K but city folk like me won't see it like that because we have watched the fox and the hound a millon times thinking that foxes are goodies (awesome film btw! xD)

I haven't seen it in years and don't remember most of it.
But thats just horrible, I'm sure they could get an electric fence or something to keep foxes off their property. I'm sure they would learn not to touch it, and it doesn't hurt all those foxy families. Foxes are smart and beautiful creatures, and like any other desearve to live. (again most ppl think I am so just saying, I'm not a vegetarian, I do believe in killing for food, but nothing else)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:50:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure foxes are around the top of the food chain, as long as they aren't baby foxes, or around stupid selfish greedy humans who think their better than anything else and can destroy entire species just for fun and/or because they veiw them as pests.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:51:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The fox is an animal I have always liked so majestic and swift but I have to look at the real world as well. The sad truth is that foxes will be killed even if it is by gun or dog.

If the fox population in the U.K went down then of course I would change my mind until we can breed more, it is all about the food chain and we are at the top of the food chain so if a fox runs off with a farmers chicken which he needs to make money the the fox is not just stealing a chicken but profits as well.
Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:52:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The fox is an animal I have always liked so majestic and swift but I have to look at the real world as well. The sad truth is that foxes will be killed even if it is by gun or dog.

If the fox population in the U.K went down then of course I would change my mind until we can breed more, it is all about the food chain and we are at the top of the food chain so if a fox runs off with a farmers chicken which he needs to make money the the fox is not just stealing a chicken but profits as well. It is a hard knock life